Utah

Orrin Hatch points to experience, seniority as reasons to keep him in office

Comments

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 21, 2012 4:24 p.m.

When I read that Hatch was asked by the Utah state legislature to periodically account his activities to them, and he replied, "I don't report to state legislatures!", I was incensed! Who does that man think he is??? If Hatch is NOT accountable to the elected representatives of his home state, then who does he report to??? What atrocious arrogance! It's past time for that guy to retire!

Longevity in service is one thing, but when the power with seniority is abused, then it's time to extend the privilege of public service to someone else. Hatch didn't want to debate his opponent ahead of the primary. In the "token" radio debate he did participate in, he whined the whole time about NOT getting enough credit for ALL his many accomplishments. His name-dropping is off the radar screens! Let's see, Bangerter, Garn, Hansen, Sarah Palin (like that one's going to help him), and this CEO lady that likely is on the Hatch re-election committee. That's quite a collection down "memory lane". Even Mitt Romney is exploited to Hatch's supposed benefit.

Ultimately, I see one desperate, elderly, elitist politician "clinging" to power.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Re: Iron&clay: You're exactly right. You're referring to the flyer about the 17th Amendment. Repealing this amendment would wisely make senators more accountable to their states and state legislatures once again. This amendment has contributed to an elitism in the Senate, where the Senate tells the states what to do. That's backwards. Dan Liljenquist is rightly in favor of changing this, so that senators are more answerable to their own states.

In 2011 the Utah legislature asked our two U.S. senators if they could meet with the legislature periodically to report on what they were doing in Washington. Sen. Mike Lee, realizing the importance of that communication and the folly of the 17th Amendment, readily agreed. But. Sen. Hatch was offended and arrogantly replied, "I don't ANSWER to the state legislature!" Wow.

In reality I think Hatch fully understands the significance of the 17th Amendment and how it protects his Washington elitism. But in his zeal to retain power, Hatch is dishonestly twisting the issue in this flyer to make it look like Liljenquist is the elitist. Sorry, Sen. Hatch, but your elitism and arrogance are showing through loud and clear.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    June 21, 2012 8:19 a.m.

I was re-considering voting for Hatch until he sent a flyer in the mail that shows his utter ignorance on the value of having senators held accountable to state legislatures and looking out for states rights instead of centralizing power in Federal government.

I am definitly now voting for Liljenquist.

Power back to the states and the people!

• Twyrch Knightdale, NC
    June 20, 2012 6:56 a.m.

@LifeLong Republican I understand how you think that Orrin Hatch would be good to have because of his "experience", but its exactly that experience which makes him unqualified. Over the last 36 years, he has reached across the aisle to Liberals for compromise. Has that helped our debt go down? Is Washington a less corrupt place? We need people to stand firm on convictions, not toe the Liberal line to make friends. This isn't about making friends with Liberals and being invited to parties or chairing committees. It isn't MONOPOLY. This is about making hard choices and doing what is right for AMERICA, not just UTAH.

"I am totally for Eric Holder, who I think is qualified, a capable man, a good man and would I have picked him, maybe not, but I still think he's a very qualified guy and we ought to be glad that the President picked somebody of his dimension that can come in to Justice at this time." - Orrin Hatch

"We all like [Obama]. He's charismatic, he's smart, he's a handsome man..." - Orrin Hatch

• JLHerr Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2012 7:05 p.m.

Multiple decades of being a senator is really not a plus in my book. It just means you have become too stagnent. Not a good thing.

• Scotty Boy Logan, UT
    June 19, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Back when Bill Clinton was running for President, a person came into the business that I was working at wanting money for Orrin Hatch. I told him that I didn't have any money for him. He said that I could still ask a question of Senator Hatch. The question I asked him was, How come he supported abortions on military bases. The respone that I got back was, "to get soemthing I had to give something". How many times has this happened in the past and how many more times is this going to happen in the next six years that he will be in office.
    It is time for him to come home. For all of those that support Hatch, Crapo would be the better man for the Job. Do not let him fool you, there are many in Washington that are "wolves in sheeps clothing". I think Hatch is one of them, and has been for along time. Take a "Vacation" Senator Hatch it will do you good, and the people of Utah and the country.

• nick Provo, UT
    June 19, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Orrin's time has past. At 78, he lacks the energy and strength of mind to be effective. Whatever advantage he has with his seniority is canceled by his physical decline. If he is reelected, I doubt he'll serve out his term.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    June 19, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Experience and Seniority are useful only when they are used to serve the people. Hatch has proved in the last 36 years that seniority is only used to serve his own interests.

When you see the Hatch campaign use the words 'Experience' and 'Seniority', substitute 'Worn Out' and 'Corrupt' and see how the message changes.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2012 7:37 a.m.

On the lighter side: A Hatch mailer arrived Tuesday, and it attempts to convince us how 'horrible' it is that Liljenquist is in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment. But it's another of Sen. Hatch's superficial scare tactics. Actually, repealing the 17th Amendment is a GREAT idea, because this will make senators more accountable to their own states once again (imagine that!). Many people are waking up to this fact. I'm sure we'll have more scary mailers from Hatch throughout the week.

The Hatch campaign was in such a rush to get this mailer out to us, that the wording includes three GLARING typos. Pretty funny. It's another sign that Hatch is DESPERATE to hang onto his power.

On a serious note, though: If you need more evidence of how Hatch's many years in Washington have led to compromising his principles, see Tuesday's on-line Deseret News article about Hatch's crony capitalism (in the search box, type "crony capitalism").

The article shows how Hatch has his own Solyndra, a now-bankrupt "green energy" company called Raser Technologies, to which Hatch funneled millions of earmarked taxpayer dollars. Pretty eye-opening!

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 19, 2012 6:44 a.m.

All the comments about being too old make me sick. I guess old people are no good unless they're busy caring for their grand kids? Orin Hatch's service is commendable. He's given a lifetime of service to our country, and his seniority is worth more than money to Utah.

And anyone that thinks Hill AFB is safe from anything, has no idea how the AF works. Again, Hatch has done a lot of great work for the state of Utah, and because of general malcontents, his considerable service record is dismissed and mischaracterized to make him appear something he isn't.

If he wins, Dan won't have the ability to much of anything for the state of Utah or the country for another 20 years. I'd rather not wait that long.

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    June 18, 2012 11:32 p.m.

"Orrin Hatch points to experience, seniority (age) as reasons to keep him in office"

Actually those are the two main reasons NOT to vote for Hatch.
    His support of Holder is insane, and most likely a hint of things to come if he continues.
    Crapo from Idaho as new chairman of finance committee would be a plus for Utah, so Hatch's scare tactics about losing his seniority have no merit.

I like Romney and Bangerter, but their support of Hatch is very disappointing.
    It's long past time for Hatch to go. Glad to see that most commenters here agree.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 18, 2012 3:05 p.m.

Hatch is 80 years old and ought to be fishing with his grand kids - great grand kids. Time for Orin to bow out and let someone with energy and new conservative ideals march forward. I don't understand why Hatch wants to keep going ... time to pass the torch.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 18, 2012 10:58 a.m.

Hatch or Lilenquist say nothing on their websites about aboloshing the patriot act. Both guys seem awfully silent when it comes to surveilance without a warrant. It's just proves that they are phony establishment candidates.

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 18, 2012 10:14 a.m.

"Tough Old Birds" are NOT worth "catching" because the meat is hard "to chew" and it's also "hard to swallow". There's a lot of metaphor in that one! Think about it. Why does a 78 year old man want 6 more years of office? ANSWER: power and ego (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.) Those of you wringing your hands with claims of SENIORITY and CHAIRMANSHIP, please give the rest of us a break! We're NOT buying it!

Hatch is elderly. Why do you think he's NOT on TV debating a 37 year old? Because he doesn't want to come across as an old man. Geez, is that so hard to figure out? His avoidance and seclusion ONLY leads a thinking person to question "Why he's NOT in front of voters?" The reason is obvious!

Dan holds the edge over Hatch. He's smart, he's proven, he's a leader, he can get the job done! He will bring pride and prestige to our state. Don't let naysayers convince you otherwise. Dan's Time is Now, and we are fortunate he's willing to serve Utahns!

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    June 18, 2012 9:52 a.m.

The questions I wish Doug Wright would have asked Sen. Hatch:

1) If experience is the "end all be all" why did you run against Moss 36 years ago? He (Moss) was clearly the more experienced candidate at the time.
    2) What exactly does "I'm a tough old bird" mean? The old birds I've seen get eaten by cats.
    3) What does "he's a fine fellow" mean (when referring to Liljenquist)? A) Who is this pipsqueak and how dare he challenge me B) He doesn't have a prison record, C) I wish I could strangle you right now with my bare hands
    4) When you reached "across the political isle", why was it necessary to practically make out with Sen. Kennedy?
    5) Why should the people of Utah reelect you (AGAIN) to the US Senate when within the next six years there is a very HIGH likelihood you won't be capable of even operating a vehicle?

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 18, 2012 1:31 a.m.

@sherlock holmes

In the spirit of what's best for this country, I prefer Senator Crapo from Idaho, the next in line after Hatch and a true conservative.

Why vote for a candidate who has no problem misleading his own electorate and using scare tactics to get their vote? He is asked if he thinks he his even partly responsible for the financial mess we are in and he says no. What arrogance. He touts Medicare part D, a 16 trillion dollar unfunded liability. So that isn't part of the problem? Really Senator Hatch? Honesty isn't one of Hatches strong points.

So no, Seniority in Hatch's case means nothing to me.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 18, 2012 1:15 a.m.

@JWB

I don't nor have I ever worked at Hill AFB. Lets forget the point of whether or not he has say in what bases close. Lets instead focus on the fact that he and his campaign invented this issue out of thin air. Hill is NOT under threat of being closed. The only reason I can think of for them to bring this fake issue up is to scare the electorate into voting for him.

Dan Liljenquist was the primary writer of the Bills he championed and helped pass. When he touts his work on the bills it doesn't make him dishonest. I don't think I ever heard him say he did it by himself. I believe he said he went to everyone to get their input. I haven't heard Liljenquist say anything as blatantly misleading or dishonest as the claims made from Hatch and his campaign.

• satch Highland, UT
    June 17, 2012 10:24 p.m.

I listened to the debate and have supported Hatch in the past. Now I know why Hatch won't debate. He sounds old, crass, and whiny. He didn't defend himself or his own votes on bills well at all.

From the beginning I questioned his use of "scare tactics." Retirement is awaiting Senator Hatch.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    June 17, 2012 9:20 p.m.

I'm not convinced. And I know both men. Dan L's time could be in two or four more years or even six. He is young, smart, with lots of future in front of him.

When he tells another senior Senator from another state that a proposal that would hurt Utah will not be considered, it is respected, probably not questioned. Dan L would bring no such authority. Mike Lee, on the hard political issues, doesn't have that stature yet either. He needs six more years to get it.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: In the right hands, yes, being chairman of the Senate Finance Committee could be valuable. But Sen. Hatch is NOT "the right hands." He has become too entrenched in Washington culture, with big-government/big-spending habits. He owes too many favors to too many people. Recently Hatch talks a good game, but in reality he would have a very difficult time reversing course and helping to solve the crushing problems he helped to create.

This is a case where I would definitely prefer Liljenquist. He has the knowledge, skills, experience, and fresh energy to be an effective senator right off the bat, and he isn't burdened by Hatch's Washington baggage. Liljenquist's real-world financial turn-around experience makes him better qualified than Hatch to help fix our nation's fiscal crisis.

Sen. Hatch's seniority is worthless (and even a LIABILITY) when he's part of the problem. That's one of the big reasons why I support Liljenquist.

• toshi1066 OGDEN, UT
    June 17, 2012 6:47 p.m.

How conveniently he has forgotten that Moss was in Congrees far too long at 18 years and he, himself, has doubled that..

Oh Irony how I love thee. Time to come home Mr. Hatch.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    June 17, 2012 6:28 p.m.

@ Hunt

Appreciate your perspective.

As you know, we are entering a new climate of budget cuts and forced reductions (at least we hope).

Do you think a senior senator, possibly a chair, on the Finance Committee would be more valuable than a new one on the Agriculture Committee, or wherever Dan L would be put?

Be honest. Seems to me the Finance Committee Senior Senator would be worth far more. That is why I support Hatch.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 17, 2012 5:59 p.m.

Senator Hatch is sage and he is the most appropriate for the State of Utah at this time and means a lot to the system. To say that he doesn't add anything to the BRAC process is not necessarily true. It is not just a direct process and the BRAC is a lot political. If someone works at Hill AFB, that doesn't make him or her an expert on BRAC. So many people that comment are shooting from the hip regarding comments or history or facts. Dan may have youth, but for him to say he got all those bills passed this session is not completely true, either. It takes a team of people to get anything done and if he acts as if he did it on his own, the people that helped through the process are not honest, either.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 17, 2012 5:24 p.m.

When you find a senator that can do what I do.......that is hard to find a senator who can not show one thing he accomplished in the past 2 years.

how long should we be fooled by this man?

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 17, 2012 5:18 p.m.

Retire, Hatch. Yes, "It's time!" No, "It's way past time!" VOTE DAN on June 26th!

• sg newhall, CA
    June 17, 2012 3:09 p.m.

I'm appalled that Hatch supported and voted for Holder. What a misread of character, but then again over the years, Hatch has made some horrendous choices and doesn't know good character when it's staring him in the face. Take the time and go back to those who have served him in his offices and on his committees and you'd be shocked at those type of people who were chosen. Horrendous. Those that this guy chose were never the best, more like political parasites who for some reason fooled this now old guy. Thirtysix years is too long. For the sake of our country, send Hatch home. Let him retire at his own expense and not on our.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 17, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Hatch IS Frank Moss. He's old. If seniority is the sole criteria to get anything done in Congress, then it's time for the people to demand change in that seniority no longer plays that role. The whole idea of seniority is a lie that is in the best interest of those who want to serve in Congress. It is their way of staying there for life. Hatch has been in Congress for 36 years...way too long. Thus he is Frank Moss. Hatch must go. He has done nothing to ensure our freedoms in this Congress. Go home Hatch and write your poems and pseudo songs that no one cares to listen to. You're old, slow, and frankly are begging for a final term. Let's grant him a quick retirement. Yes to Dan.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2012 2:25 p.m.

@sherlock holmes

"How hard is is to fly 35 bombers to a new air force base? Not hard at all. Logisitical support is mobile as well. The four services do these kind of movements all the time."

I've lived around the Air Force most of my life. Moving an entire operation is not easy and not cheap. Your statement only serves to show the lack of knowledge you have on the subject.

"People with clout and some say on federal budgets make a lot of difference there. Don't kid yourselves on this one."

No one is kidding themselves on this one. Except for those that think a senior member on the finance committee has any say when it comes to base closings. On top of that, there is no threat in Washington to close more bases in the foreseeable future. Hatch made the issue up in an attempt to scare the electorate (and presumably you) into voting for him.

• SP Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2012 1:42 p.m.

I listened to the debate. Hatch sounded old and stubborn. He is a fighter, and has fought many good fights. But it is time for him to gracefully retire and let the next generation take a turn.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 17, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Scott Howell is the man to replace Hatch.

• waterperson Saint George, UT
    June 17, 2012 11:13 a.m.

Hatch sent out letters to the voters saying Barry is a LEGAL PRESIDENT and Hatch also voted for the NDAA. So let's vote for Dan. And I was once a big Hatch supporter. Shame on Hatch.
    Hatch and Barry Obama must go.

Just remember Hatch VOTED FOR THE NDAA.

• nfs Bountiful, UT
    June 17, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Ah yes. Another Mike Lee. That's the ticket...

• Toro Azzurro Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2012 10:21 a.m.

According to the mortality tables I've looked up, Hatch has about a 60% chance of living another 6 years.

I wish he would have just retired gracefully instead of trying to mislead all of Utah for one more hurrah. All of his arguments for reelection are based on nonsense and logical fallacy, as many commenters have already pointed out. Our only consolation is that he may not live long enough to vote to raise the debt limit again.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    June 17, 2012 9:37 a.m.

The posters about HAFB are being unrealistic to think that logic and science decides where military resources are placed. California Senators and Representatives would love to have the bombers there, so would New Mexico. And Obama would not care if they went. He has no reason to do anything for Utah. How hard is is to fly 35 bombers to a new air force base? Not hard at all. Logisitical support is mobile as well. The four services do these kind of movements all the time.

Hill has done a good job. But it takes more than a 'job well done' to get your way in Washington. People with clout and some say on federal budgets make a lot of difference there. Don't kid yourselves on this one.

• Twyrch Knightdale, NC
    June 17, 2012 8:39 a.m.

"I'm a tough old bird. If you give me one more term, I will make a difference." - Orrin Hatch

When my grandpa was 78, his decision making abilities were impared when driving a car. How many 78 year old men would you feel safe having drive you somewhere? Decision making abilities start to deteriorate as we get older. Isn't 78 years old enough? Do you really want him paying bills out of America's checkbook?

If Hatch wants one more term to "make a difference", is that difference going to be for the better? In 2008, Obama said he'd fundamentally change this country. He's kept his word, but we don't like where that change is going. Listen to what Hatch says about Eric Holder.

"I'm totally for Eric Holder, who I think is qualified, a capable man, a good man" - Orrin Hatch

"Eric Holder is a qualified guy. He has made some mistakes too. He's human. I've made mistakes. I would hope people wouldn't hold my mistakes against me any more than they hold them against Eric." - Orrin Hatch

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Hatch, as a senior Senator and chair/co-chair of major committees, endorsed and passed much of the legislation that led to our current immigration and economic problems. He turned a blind eye and deaf ear to our repeated requests to do something about these issues. I was there when he gave a speech to Utah legislators and he specifically stated he saw no reasons to delved into these issues because, "I do not see the political will to do so."

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 17, 2012 7:36 a.m.

Hatch is duplicitous and deceitful. He campaigned against Moss saying that he had served 18 years and that was long enough to serve as a Senator. Now this Senator wants us to forget his comments and elect him to serve up to 42 years. I agree with MatthewBehun. We need a change in leadership. Hatch is part of the dysfunctional Congress. They are more worried about reelection than serving the people who elected. them.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 17, 2012 6:13 a.m.

There will be many people who would oppose closing base X. You can choose the base.

And there is a Senator in that state who will fight to keep it open and can make a justification.
    (as can the the previous poster)

In the end, it is about protecting ME, or MY STATE, or MY JOB or MY BROTHERS JOB.

It is NOT about doing what is best for the country.

And powerful people like Hatch know how to work the system to keep his pork in tact.

Proving again, that we want to cut spending, just not where it affects me.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    June 17, 2012 2:37 a.m.

When Romney wins the Presidency, we need Hatch to be there with them. Together they can fix this economy and this country.

We don't need another first year senator representing Utah. We need experience and connections. Hatch has both.

My vote is for Hatch.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2012 1:56 a.m.

In the article Sen. Hatch says, "Most of the tea party people are pretty darn decent people. Some come from the fringe and think they can take over the system. That's where it gets irritating." TRANSLATION: "Those who agree with me are decent people. But anyone who disagrees with me is from 'the fringe.' It's irritating that anyone would dare to disagree with me."

When politicians stay in D.C. too long, the Washington culture gradually gets inside them and they start to compromise their principles. Some politicians recognize the warning signs and have the good sense to step down with dignity. For those who ignore the warning signs, their motivation shifts, and they sometimes do things that are not in the best interest of their state or the nation. Exhibit A: Hatch's votes have contributed to our massive deficits.

Hatch is proud of his "reaching across the aisle." The problem is that when HATCH does it, he supports LIBERAL causes, not conservative ones. He also touts his seniority. But seniority becomes a LIABILITY if you've become part of the problem in Washington.

Thank goodness for those 32 votes.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2012 1:32 a.m.

@MatthewBehun

Amen! And if Hatch is willing to mislead his constituency on a non-issue that was completely drummed up by his campaign, what else is he willing to mislead Utah on?

• MatthewBehun PROVO, UT
    June 16, 2012 6:49 p.m.

I wish that the Deseret News, KSL or the SL Tribune would do a fact check on how Hatch is "saving Hill Air Force Base." I support Liljenquist but my brother works at Hill so I decided to look into the issue. I learned that the decision to close a base is entirely based on value to the military and economics. The next closure process (called BRAC, Google it) isn't even likely to occur until 2023. Hill has the ONLY access in the country to a live bombing test and training range and was just awarded contracts for the F-35. Also, Rob Bishop, who actually serves on the Armed Forces Committee, said during a delegate meeting that neither he nor Hatch have ANYTHING to do to bring jobs to Hill. I also just found out that Frank Moss (Hatch's original opponent) told voters back in 76 that Hill would likely close without his seniority. We didn't need Moss's seniority then and we definitely don't need Hatch's now.