Family

Linda & Richard Eyre: Why a possible Mitt Romney presidency thrills many Mormons

Comments

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    June 21, 2012 9:20 p.m.

I am not a committed Romney supporter for president because some of his policies and politics concern me. However, Ido see him as a great example for family loyalty, understanding money and many other favorable attributes, and I certainly favor him over the O alternative. One of my big concerns about him is that the Eyres promote him.

@Ranch, I don't think many Mormons see him as saving the constitution because there aren't that many "Mormons" who really understand the constitution. However, I also don't see him cutting the last thread, at least knowingly. I do see the O alternative as brandishing the scissors to cut the last thread at every possible opportunity.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    June 20, 2012 4:21 p.m.

@LDS Lib Since the LDS Church maintains that this country was established with God's hand involved, and since the church has long believed that this country was created to provide the right conditions for the establishment of said church, I' trying to figure for the life of me what this 'defining moment' would be that pits the church against the best interests of the country. Can you tell us what such potential conflict might be where Mitt would have to choose one over the other?

BTW, the fact that Reid (Majority Leader, not 'Speaker of the Senate') has not toed the D-party line every single time proves what?

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    June 20, 2012 7:54 a.m.

@instereo "most churches aren't that secretive" Really? I'll just fire off a letter to the Vatican and ask them to send me a copy of all the RCC's financials for the last few years. And while I'm at it, I should ask for the money records of every big evangelical church from Texas to the Carolinas, 'cause that's only fair too. And it's my business, why? We'll see how that goes....

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 19, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Furry1993 and Ranch,

Come on. We have endured nearly four years of unfounded hyperbole reference Obama being a threat to the constitution. Mitt is no more a threat than Obama.

Can we please keep the discussion sane?

• keithivy Hernando, ms
    June 19, 2012 12:09 p.m.

JOB #1 is to get those criminals that currently reside there out....I dont care if its Mitt, Rick Santorum, Daffy Duck....I am sick to death of seeing the fraud that is there and currently trashes the system. Mitt isnt perfect, but the best thing is that he isnt Barry...November will be a pivitol moment in our country...Barry is busy building a network for fraud and will do everything possible to steal it....scarey situation for sure.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 19, 2012 7:45 a.m.

To Ranch 1:01 p.m. June 18, 2012

Mormons see Mitt as saving the Constitution. I see him as holding the scissors, preparing to cut the last thread.

--------------------

As do I.

• BobF2012 kitchener, 00
    June 19, 2012 7:21 a.m.

I'd like to see an article on why the thought of a Romney presidency terrufies some Mormons, including myself.

• nyca411 Menlo Park, CA
    June 18, 2012 8:17 p.m.

I am an active, life-long Republican Mormon, and I have no desire to see a MORMON president in the White House. What I DO desire is to have a president who is clearly qualified for the job; has proven, successful business and public leadership experience; and shares the same -- or most of the same -- values that I do. This could be an LDS, Catholic, Protestant, or even Jewish person. We share many of the same values and views on social and legislative issues, particularly if Republican.

The fact that Mitt Romney is LDS is just a bonus to me. Were it a Democrat LDS running for president, I would not vote for him/her, nor be excited that a Mormon was running. I do think that Romney's candidacy has provided unprecedented and exciting opportunities for LDS members to talk about our faith with many people who might otherwise not have asked or been interested. So that is definitely a positive outcome.

But all in all, I do not vote for candidates based on their particular faith, so for me, the fact that Romney is Mormon is really a non-issue.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 18, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Ultimate allegiance is to who –
    Would he represent his Church, or his Country when it all came to a defining moment?

Hint; Senator Harry Reid [also LDS} is on record for voting numerous times against his Party’s recommendations….and he’s the Speaker of the Senate.

I don’t see Mitt’s integrity that well honed, or defined.

• Ranch Here, UT
    June 18, 2012 1:01 p.m.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    June 18, 2012 11:14 a.m.

It might be great for the church to have Mitt Romney as a candidate but I don't think it would be the same for the church if he were president. He would then represent to the world the church. I think there would be many members of the church that wouldn't like his policies and not want to be represented that way. I think it would also call into question some of the practices of the church they just don't talk about in public and it would make it hard for the church to communicate. I'm not talking about issues like polygamy or the church's position on blacks but about their general administrative policies or fiscal policies which are done in secret without any public input that members just accept on faith. Most people who aren't LDS won't do that. Why because most churches aren't that secretive.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 18, 2012 10:54 a.m.

@jotab - your post is so full of fallacies it would be difficult to counter them all in one comment. If I have a choice between pro-public education and pro-high quality education, I'll take the high quality education every time. That's what Romney wants as well, but if being in about 20th place worldwide in math and science is good enough for you, the public education you love so much is obviously serving you well.

Who has even suggested that Romney or any other candidate be prohibited from running, or be given any kind of legal preferential status, because of religion? Who has suggested that Romney intermingle his religion and governmental administration? It's Romney who has to remind everyone, over and over, that he's not running for Pastor-in-Chief. He didn't mix religion with his governance of Massachusetts, so please drop the dishonest red herring.

I've never heard of a single person being driven from our church because of an impression that we're a "Republican only church." Have you heard of Harry Reid? Should Romney switch parties, or sit out, to avoid offending your diversified political sensibilities?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    June 18, 2012 10:54 a.m.

his article's conclusion parallels tobacco advertisements that champion image over truth. The good news is that with increased public exposure and scrutiny and the assistance of the internet search more people are doing research and finding a path through the smoke and mirrors of the image makers and gaining access to the truth.

• Midvaliean MIDVALE, UT
    June 18, 2012 10:40 a.m.

Then there is the possibility that Mitt Romney is just another politician, and he just might make the church look bad, especially if there is a scandal within the White House.

• jotab Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2012 10:12 a.m.

I must agree with the other posters Furry and David, while I don't know Mitt Romney as a person, I don't agree with his politics and I am an active LDS member. His policies of regressive taxation and anit-public education are very contrary to what I would want. I believe in the Constitutuion that there should be on religious test to hold office and we great enormous entanglements when we mix religion and politics. We drive many people away from the LDS church when we create the impression that it is a Republican only church. Believe it or not there are many good people that are Democrats, James E. Faust, for example.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    June 18, 2012 9:38 a.m.

If Mormons were more accepting of others, then others might be more accepting of them. I'm not suggesting that the LDS Church change any of their doctrines, but I am encouraging them to adopt a more 'live and let live' attitude toward those with whom they disagree. You and I may not see eye to eye on a bevy of religious and lifestyle values, but that doesn't mean we should try to use the law to force each other to live according to our beliefs.

• David in New Mexico Rio Rancho, NM
    June 18, 2012 9:05 a.m.

As an active Mormon, I don't look forward to a Romney presidency.

Why? Because Romney is a polictian first and a Mormon second.

Like most politicians, Romney has already shown that politics trump principles. His political manuevering has already been a source of personal embarrassment to me. I've had to explain his position to my conservative non-Mormon friends on numerous occasions.

My fear is that his undisciplined brand of political Mormonism will do more to confuse than clarify when it comes to educating the public on what it truly means to be Mormon.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 18, 2012 9:04 a.m.

@Furry1993 - Romney has demonstrated his unwavering loyalty and commitment to his wife, his children, his religion, his country, and his businesses. His work ethic and focus on problem solving is eclipsed by no one you could mention. Everything he touches turns to gold, and Democrats have to dishonestly distort his record to make it appear otherwise. There is no evidence whatsoever of proclivities toward promiscuity, addiction, cheating others, anger, or selfishness.

As a devout and active Latter-day Saint, I am very excited at the idea of a Romney presidency, especially since he will be in the limelight and will be the example by which my Church is judged. I believe honest people will look favorably upon our church if they look at Romney as an imperfect but striving member. I worry much more about the poor example set by sanctimonious members who tear down that which is good - including their own members - for political gain.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 18, 2012 8:24 a.m.

I am a devout and active Latter-day Saint. I am not exited at the idea of a Romney presidency, since he will be in the limelight and will be the example by which my Church is judged. I do NOT want my Church judged by Romney's example.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    June 18, 2012 7:20 a.m.

Reasonable americans believe the best thing for the country is to be excited to elect a person who will put the country's best interests before anything else. For that reason I believe after the presidential election in Nov. Mr. Romney will not be elected to office of the POTUS.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 18, 2012 12:02 a.m.

@Rick2009
    Mitt has done this before (2008) so I have every confidence he is not going into this with blinders. His background makes him eminently more qualified than any candidate in a long time. But the bigger question is :if not Mitt, then who? No one out there comes to mind among the list of those with qualifications and experience. And given any you can name, we are right back with Mitt being the most qualified.

• Rick2009 MESA, AZ
    June 17, 2012 9:58 p.m.

I was in attendance the other evening with a group of LDS interested in getting the US leaders back to following the Constitution, non-LDS were invited they just didn't show up. I had a question about WHY in the world would Mitt Romney want to be POTUS at this time in the history of our country. It makes absolutely no sense as to why he wants to do this. Sure he may understand the economics of things better than O. I am afraid that he will be in way over his head and when the dollar collapses which it will in the next few months( years) he will be blamed and then we as a church will be blamed.

I am all for getting the socialist O out but Romney what do you really hope to get done. Too many things are on the table that you can't change so get wise and realize what you are doing.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 17, 2012 8:50 p.m.

dr. bridell,

I disagree. First, Protestants would not be excited because nearly all of our presidents have been Protestants. Nothing new there.

As to Catholics, I was living in a very Catholic area when JFK was elected. His picture was everywhere, in nearly every business in town. Catholics (including my family) were thrilled to have a Catholic president.

• dr.bridell mclean, VA
    June 17, 2012 8:07 p.m.

It is interesting that Mormons are much more interested in a Mormon President than Protestants would be in a Protestant President, or Catholics in a Catholic one.....or even Jews in a Jewish one.
    I think the Eyres have identified three separate groups that are keenly interested for three different reasons.
    I would have called the third group "Bullied Kids." We do get bullied quite a bit as a church....by the media and by other churches. If you take most articles about the church and substitute "Jew" whenever "Mormon" is used, you have something so politically incorrect and bigoted that no one would say it!
    Maybe we need a Mormon anti-defamation league! But most bullied kids get over it, and we will too.

• Friend West Valley City, UT
    June 17, 2012 7:52 p.m.

"Accepting and valuing each other throughout our society might be one of the greatest collective human goals."

As a parent, I read this a little differently than LValfre. I accept and greatly value each of my children. That said, I cannot say the same about some of their behaviors.

Disagreement alone does not equal nonacceptance or devaluing. Accepting and valuing does not mean that a person has to accept or embrace words, actions, or ideas that are against his or her values or beliefs. It simply means that each person agrees to respect the others' right to his or her feelings on the matter. Wisegeek

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    June 17, 2012 7:43 p.m.

"The Athlete" (The Follower)
    "This athlete is like church members who value the church for its positive results - better health, longer life, lower divorce rates, etc."

There are also, sometimes, negative results. Can't blame anyone for pursuing something they deem as positive though. Whatever keeps you happy and grounded.

"The Student" (The Missionary)
    "This is like church members who love the unique and enlightening doctrines of the church - from our surprising view of the hereafter to our belief in a premortal life - and look forward to the time when more people will discover and appreciate these doctrines as we do."

As stated in the article, more exposure can lead to increased criticism or increased acceptance. Fortunately there have been many changes throughout the years that help with mainstream acceptance.

"The Unpopular Kid" (The Misunderstood)
    "This is like church members who feel persecuted and unfairly treated by media or by other churches and simply want to be accepted as a legitimate and valued part of the Judeo-Christian tradition and of the diverse religious mix in the country."

LDS is Christian. No doubt about it. Just a another testament, an American one.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    June 17, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if that was one of the things accomplished by this year’s election?"

Like accepting and valuing gay marriage, aka equal rights? If that's what this election needs to accomplish, aka accepting and valuing each other, than only Obama and Ron Paul currently fit that bill.

• Jeremy Parker Petersburg, Alaska
    June 17, 2012 5:10 p.m.

You forgot the fourth group of homeschoolers. They love and adore pure knowledge and the corresponding wisdom it brings. They know well that wisdom cannot be given freely without the corresponding knowledge, but that through obedience the profits of that wisdom can be utilized even to those who do not yet posses it (that is exactly why we have a representative republic and not a democracy). The homeschoolers desperately want others to accept these truths but are leery of casting pearls before those who will mock and trample them under foot. They see the writing on the wall and understand prophecy and know what lies ahead. Consequently they are excited in both a positive and negative way knowing that as darkness descends the light shines all the more brilliantly.