Faith

Andy Reid, Julianne Hough among Mormons talking about Mormonism

Comments

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    June 15, 2012 7:30 p.m.

LDS Lib states, "Leave it to the Holier-than-thou, judgemental Utah Mormons to be the 1st in line for the public stoning..."

Are you upset that some beat you to the punch? Come on, you are the best at what you are denouncing.

@mightymite: don't read the articles if you don't like them. Simple.

Nebraska says, "Yet, it is true that she isn't living the life of what one expects of a member of the Church either." And you know this how?

@Shazandra: it's clear you have an axe to grind and don't follow your own admonition of treating others the way you would like to be treated. You quit the LDS church. Great, we get it. Move on. Go live your life to the fullest. Go be all that you can be in your new LDS-free world. Set up a blog and tell us all about the wonderful things going on in your life. Be positive, optimistic and a stalwart example of what you now believe. Convince others through your actions and words that you are to be emulated.

• QBall Smithfield, UT
    June 15, 2012 7:30 a.m.

To Just-A-Fan:
    This article is in the "Faith" section, not on the front page headlines. If you are so uninterested in this type of article, why are you reading the "Faith" section?
    As for the article itself, I am glad to see that everyone involved is trying to put their own honest beliefs and status out there, without sugar-coating, OR bashing. Thanks.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 14, 2012 11:02 p.m.

You can't have a career in Hollywood without selling out your standards.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    June 14, 2012 5:04 p.m.

There is some problems with some of the comments pertaining to Ms Hough. Some appear to be totally judgemental and inappropiate and others that state she is doing nothing wrong. Both are wrong in all accounts. She didn't say anything wrong about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and is in fact talking great praise of what she has been taught. Yet, it is true that she isn't living the life of what one expects of a member of the Church either.

Her happiness in this life is only a small amount of the eternities. What may be making one happy in this life may not be what is necessary to make them happy in the world to come. Some day all of us will be judged as to how we lived, the choices we made and who we had contact with. I believe that Cats and others had this in mind and are right to pray that she may change her life to meet the high standards set by JESUS CHRIST.

The Strength of Youth is not just for those age 12-18 but for everyone. We should all be worthy of that standard.

• TylerSanchez FRUITLAND, ID
    June 14, 2012 2:52 p.m.

I think that Jose Guadalupe Hernandez is probably one of the finest examples of an LDS celebrity that stays grounded and sets a great example. Even though Jose is the top basketball player in Mexico, he remains humble. I don't know anything about the Hough lady. I do know Charlie Hough threw an excellent knuckle ball.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    June 14, 2012 12:05 p.m.

We can always hope for a substantive article on LDS celebs and public figures that goes deeper than lifestyle. The public is fully aware of our "clean" and ethical living. Donnie and Marie were great ambassadors in that area. There wasn't much off with the Broadway play either. In fact, South Park's LDS montage was actually true to many LDS characterizations, flattering or not.

What is unfortunate are the thin-skinned ones who refuse to look at the whole of Mormon life, who think a name change will help. Putting lipstick on every Mormon in public life won't do it either. It's the Emperor's Clothes and the bitter whining at "the haters" isn't working either. Maybe getting out of the Utah mentality we all experienced at BYU will help, I don't know.

Perhaps if you treated ex-Mormons like you'd like to be treated, you'd get a break. But you throw us under the bus and we know all sides of the reality. How about more transparency and dialogue to start with? Like getting a former Mormon post that is civil but truthful? Ask us why we left Perfectville.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Ms. Hough said nothing negative, derogatory, or hurtful toward the LDS church or anyone in it --
    in fact, she had nothinng but praise....and yet here we see the Latter-Day Pharisees at it again.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 14, 2012 8:52 a.m.

MoJules - I understand your story, what I was trying to point out is that somebody leaving the church or becoming less active in the church does not make them less of a person, or make them unhappy. There are many in the world that get by just fine without the church, or without any church for that matter. Some need church and that is fine. Going to church doesn't define who somebody is as a person. Active, less-active, inactive - none of that really matters. What matters is a persons character, and it sounds like in your daughters case that she is a good mom like you said, and sounds like a good person all around. So it shouldn't be a negative thing that she doesn't believe as you do. I know that is how mormons are taught to think, but it is not right. One persons beliefs are not another persons beliefs, even within the family.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    June 14, 2012 1:18 a.m.

There is a certain commenter that mentions he is getting tired of articles like this one. Great then stop reading them and commenting on them. I for one enjoyed the article.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 13, 2012 10:06 p.m.

Brahmabull being a mother to a child who at the age of 20 left the church and also left her belief in God, I ended up learning a lot of things. First and foremost, I have a great love for the LDS church and I believe in all of it's teachings. I raised my daughter and shared these teachings with her, as did her deceased father. I made a choice to focus on all the good things that I see in my daughter, she is an amazing mother to a child that has needed thinking and training from outside the box. So why can't we all do this in relationship to Julianne Hough, if she is not totally active and reads the comments made here, or has read comments in the past, I give her a lot of credit for sharing her positive feelings about the church. And if she were my daughter, I would be happy for the good things she is doing, but would still hope that she would become active again in the church, knowing the great blessings that it brings in our lives.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 13, 2012 9:25 p.m.

Wouldn't be a Dnews article about famous mormons without a lot of judgement being passed down on Miss Hough.
    Leave her alone, she's not doing anything wrong.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    June 13, 2012 5:47 p.m.

These articles are getting tired, mormom + notoriaty does not = story. I know there are very few mormons but the mormon does good stuff is annoying. Plus another "contributer" or whatever the dnews passes of as journalism, already posted this article last week.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 13, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Cats - I think that saying you hope that Julianne Hough gets back to full activity in the church is just wrong. What happened to just hoping that they find what makes them happy - not what you think will make them happy. And what about being a good person? It seems people in the mormon faith are concerned about others church activity statistics than their character. What is with that?

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    June 13, 2012 3:30 p.m.

If being perfect was a prerequisite to be a member of the church, there would be no one in church. I'm not perfect but I try to learnfrom my mistakes and sometimes I really blow it. But I continue to ask for the lord for help and guidance. I would have loved to go to the one by andy Reid. I think Hollywood and its standards are horrid but my hats off to anyone who are lds and try the best they can. I'd rather have my privacy and not be in the limelight. I live in a small town and at times at work I feel like I'm under the microscope for the few of my coworkers that know I'm lds. We can't talk about religion at work because of the population I work with. She was talking about religion on our lunchtime away from the clients she asked what I was and I told her. We don't agree on religion but We respect each other and get along just fine. Sorry about my babbling.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 13, 2012 2:49 p.m.

UtahBlueDevil,

I am quite sure that being perfect is not a requirement for being a member of the church. Were that so, it would be a pretty empty place on Sundays. I know I wouldn't make the cut.

We should all try to do and be our best. But we need to be able to accept that no one will get it right all of the time. We feel a little more discomfort with those of our faith who are in the spotlight yet who veer from accepted practices. Understood. But we should welcome a nice tribute to the values the faith teaches.

Nice comments BTW.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    June 13, 2012 12:12 p.m.

I have no interest in Mormon celebrities, but the DesNews just eats this stuff up. I remember when Gladys Knight was the flavor of the month. Now it's a football coach and an actress/dancer. Next week, we can find a chef or paper boy in Illinois. Please stop with these articles.

• Grouper Loveland, CO
    June 13, 2012 10:47 a.m.

no doubt Julianne is not living gospel standards, but props to her for saying something positive. She lives in a toxic Hollywood environment where saying anything positive about the church can literally get you blacklisted, and yet she sticks up for us. How many of you would do the same? don't count her out - everyone walks their own journey.

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 13, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Re: GeoMan, Rev Wright’s religion is a form of Liberation theology where transcendence is neglected as well as, with Romney’s Mormonism.

The only transcendent, almighty, and holy God, who cannot be approached or seen in essence or Being, becomes immanent primarily in the God-man Jesus the Christ, who is the incarnate(John 1:14) Second Person of the Trinity. Christian(Catholic )theology, Christ and the Holy Spirit immanently reveal themselves; God the Father only reveals himself immanently vicariously through the Son and Spirit, and the Divine Nature, the Godhead is wholly transcendent and unable to be comprehended.
    Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature] of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death even death on a cross! (Phil 2:6-8 NIV). God becomes man not man becomes God.
    JS taught at one time taught(Kenosis)and the(Hypostatic union) Christ's humanity and divinity in one hypostasis.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    June 13, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Thats about what I expected from Julianne Hough. Its the same line Katherine Heigle gave so at least they acknowledge the good values they learned as teens. Reid's comments suprised me. I am glad he is actively proclaiming his Mormon faith.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2012 9:21 a.m.

@sjgf
    Ignored it!? There was even a week in April 2008 when Wright was mentioned more often than Hillary Clinton... you know... the candidate that won Pennsylvania that month and still had a near 50-50 shot of getting the nomination at the time.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    June 13, 2012 8:37 a.m.

sjgf,
    The fact that we all know exactly what you mean by "his Muslim roots" and "Rev Wright" pretty well puts the lie to your position.
    The fact is that those issues were well explored but that a significant fraction of the US population doesn't accept the truth (i.e. Yes, President Obama grew up in a predominantly Islamic nation. No, he is not a Muslim. Yes, he is a Christian. Yes, he was born in Hawaii, one of the fifty United States of America). The same is proving to be true for Mr. Romney, some people that have already made up their minds don't want to be bothered by the facts (i.e. Yes, Mormons are believers in, and followers of, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Savior of the World. No, Mormons are not perfect. Yes, Mormons do strive to be what most consider to be "good people." Yes, he is an U.S. citizen.).
    Apparently the jury is still out regarding whether Mr. Romney is a unicorn or not. I'm finding it hard to keep an open mind about that one (:>)

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 13, 2012 5:42 a.m.

So once again as a group you're here as judge, jury and executioner. Ms. Hough is pretty, interesting and seems to be from her public personal a really nice person. That's more than I can say for most of you that sit at your keyboard making accusations you know nothing about. Shame on you.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:58 p.m.

He who is without sin, let him cast the first.. Ouch!!

• kathybeebee Ephrata, WA
    June 12, 2012 10:44 p.m.

Well said MoJules & Pragmatic! How refreshing and, yes, uplifting to see acceptance and tolerance of diversity and individual choices! Could there actually be hope for a soul so rebellious and proud as mine?

And to UtahBlueDevil, thanks for your insight that perfection isn't a requirement for membership. It actually IS in my ward, along with absolute conformity and xenophobia, but it's nice to know that there still are places where Mormon Culture isn't in direct conflict with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

• sjgf South Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2012 9:56 p.m.

@non believer:

"They made Obama's religion fair game in 2008." Are you kidding? There would have been an absolute ton of flack about both his Muslim roots and his association with Rev Wright, but the media and his challengers largely decided to keep hands off the religion issue with him.

There has already been much more attention to Romney's Mormon faith in this election cycle than to Obama's various religious affiliations in the 2008 cycle.

Just saying -- "fair" to the one doesn't come close to being "fair" to the other.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 9:45 p.m.

It's nobody's business to judge somebody's status in the Church. Completely private matter between them and God. Having said that I think it is wonderful that all these people gratefully acknowledge the blessings the Church has provided in their respective life in unique ways. It is not anybody elses' to judge. I know that is hard for many of you to do.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 12, 2012 9:41 p.m.

For all of you that are passing judgement on Julianne, you are far worse Mormon's than she is. How is that beam filling in your eye about now?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 12, 2012 9:28 p.m.

I'm not really sure that we know exactly what Julianne's "lifestyle" is. She says she's not as active as some members. That doesn't mean she is not living the standards. We don't really know for sure. She's gotten involved with some guys who are not members. I think that's all we really know. I hope she gets back in full activity.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 12, 2012 7:56 p.m.

I am not sure being perfect is a requirement for being a member of the church, nor a requirement to be able to speak as to what the faith means to you. I think it is great to see that less than perfect people can be a members, talk positively of the faith, despite the fact they they may have personal issues that keep them from being what many judge to being an ideal member. I mean, I can remember just a few pro-players in sports, the NFL in particular, who knew that they career would require them to work on a very public stage, on Sundays.

So I am glad to see the great diversity in members, and how they choose to practice their faith. Imperfections and all.

• Rob Logan, UT
    June 12, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Julianne says she is not as active as others but she is pointing out the things she learned from being a member growing up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I don't agree with her life style either but then I like that she is not bad mouthing the church either.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    June 12, 2012 5:43 p.m.

I'm not sure what "heat" you are referring to. I've always anxiously awaited questions about my faith so I can explain MYSELF what I believe. I'm loving the "heat" as you call it. Even Julianne Hough's obvious departure from some of the standards of behavior I think are important have brought good opportunities to explain my beliefs to those who question. So to your "you gotta take the heat" statement, I say, "bring it."

• non believer PARK CITY, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Unfortunately you cannot have your cake and eat it too! So it is just as acceptable to point out the faults and inconsistantcies of the religion. It's all fair game when you are running for office. This entire conversation is due to Mitt wanting to be President. If you do not like the criticism, then one should not run for public office. They made Obama's religion fair game in 2008 so now it's Mitt and the Mormon's time to take the heat!

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:07 p.m.

I am not sure if the DesNews just trolls websites for "Mormons" and then says they are talking about Mormonism, but I am not sure Julianne Hough is the best example of the values and standards of the church. She acknowledges not "being active" in the church which for anyone who follows pop-culture and Julianne in particular is a stretch. Her numerous flings with Hollywood celebrities and in particular Ryan Seacrest, plus her new movie Rock of Ages is not exactly the example I want set for my 6 year old daughter. She is a great example, beautiful women, but not really living "The Strength of Youth" standards.