Family

Glenn Beck, hailed as a 'Prophet of Love,' signs new $100 million radio contract

Comments

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    June 15, 2012 11:12 a.m.

I don't begrudge anyone making a good living. But I think we need to recognize that what Beck, et al do is entertain us. They do not provide any real product or service that is worth paying for, any more than Brittney Spears does.

I compare Beck to Al Gore. Gore has made a fortune saying words. He does not actually accomplish anything. He just gets paid to say words. Beck does the same. So the only difference is who is willing to pay for those words. For Gore, it's people who want to feel good about reusing a water bottle. For Beck, it's people who want to feel good about something else. So it comes down to the fact that we are willing to pay to have people help us feel good about whatever we're doing. In other words, we pay for affirmation.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 14, 2012 7:47 p.m.

@ iron&clay 10:02 p.m. June 13, 2012

"...why Obama is a product of this indoctrination and picked by the crony capitalist bankers who own the notes on our national debt. Crony capitalist bankers love Marxists, wars, and entitlement programs. It serves their purpose of enslaving the United States to an international socialist collective."

So, tell me what did Mitt do a for a living and who is giving him boat loads of cash. Hint: Wall St.

Oh, yeah. MR has an Ivy League degree just like BO.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 14, 2012 7:44 p.m.

re: marxist 5:14 p.m. June 12, 2012

"Question: Will they burn the books of those they deem impure?"

To paraphrase Sean Connery, "Goose stepping morons should try reading books w/ ideas contrary to theirs instead of burning them."

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 14, 2012 7:37 p.m.

Re: Mukkake 10:09 a.m. June 12, 2012

Glenn ‘Lonesome Rhodes’ Beck self-proclimed coronation reminds of a query Heath Ledger posed back in 2008.

re: BoomerJeff 11:04 a.m. June 12, 2012
    When was on Headline News, he was IMO a watered down Lou Dobbs for the American Idol crowd. What I think of him now would be censored so…

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    June 13, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Beck has exposed the Federal Reserve as a scam on the US taxpayers. Please google.

Also,read David Horowitz's latest book "The Leviathan" to get a grasp of why academia receives grants and endowments from the elite tax exempt foundations for promoting Marxist philosophy and why Obama is a product of this indoctrination and picked by the crony capitalist bankers who own the notes on our national debt. Crony capitalist bankers love Marxists, wars, and entitlement programs. It serves their purpose of enslaving the United States to an international socialist collective.

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    June 13, 2012 5:19 p.m.

Aw, c'mon you haters. Love your fellowman, your fellow citizen... your fellow More Man, your fellow Mormon?

So you'll let some 25 year-old farm boy, with self-admitted lack of any theological training, trash the entire Christian world, (lock/stock/&barrel), but you object to a patriotic entrepreneur sharing his views in democratic America?

Beck's world may get "mushy", but some LDS Beck haters here reveal an unwillingness to allow the same equality for all. Even us Bako bumpkins can see that. But will the site monitors allow civil free speech here? That's an even bigger question...

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    June 13, 2012 4:58 p.m.

Lds Lib states, "I'm active LDS and Liberal.
    Agreed, King Benjamin + 3rd Nephi + Pioneers, United Order, ect.

FYI-

Families,
    U.S. Military,
    Zion,
    King of Heaven,
    ...all Socialist/Communist economic systems."

I'm always astounded at the manner in which people claim membership in the LDS church and then state that the United Order is Socialist/Communist. It's puzzling since so many church presidents and apostles have stated that such a belief is to not to understand the gospel.

King Benjamin's reign is not Socialist or Communist in any manner. You might want to read a little further in Mosiah where it speaks of a King who taxed his people up to 50% and how burdensome it was.

Please, get a clue about what the actual doctrines of the Lds church are before you try to claim that it's acceptable to have a Socialist/Communist government. Interesting to note as well that you are indicating that the manner in which the Democrats govern IS Socialist/Communist and you agree with that.

There is a difference between force and agency and you clearly don't understand that difference.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 13, 2012 1:42 p.m.

I've been critical of Beck, yet I also have lost respect for C. Matthews, O'Donnell, Maddow, Bill O'Reilly, and Anderson Cooper----they all either talk about themselves too much or don't believe in the Bible. With all of Beck's and Palin's faults, at least they believe in the Bible and family which is not the case for much of MSNBC and FOX news. It is cutthroat industy and if there is no news, they make it up.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    June 13, 2012 11:06 a.m.

I just don't get the whole Glenn Beck thing. I'm conservative and listen to talk radio daily but can't listen to GB. Just find him uninteresting.

But prophet of love?? Seems like he's morphing into some sort of televangelist and that doesn't sit right with me.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    June 13, 2012 10:34 a.m.

@Anti Bush-Obama

" Glenn is the biggest fake I have ever seen."

Actually that would be your beloved President Obama who is the biggest fake any of us have ever seen!! The man doesn't know what truth is. How naive are you Left wing Liberals? You still support a man that has accomplished absolutely nothing in the past 4 years, but still has the ego to go out and say that he is one of the top four Presidents of all time.But what do you expect from a socialist? A man that wants be a Dictator more then a President and wants total control of our lives. A man who wants to destroy everything that our founding fathers believed in and died for. And a man and his administration that makes you believe that successful people like Glenn Beck and Mitt Romney are evil because they have money. Please wake up people before its to late.

Thanks to Glenn Beck, Rush, and Hannity we actually know the truth. The Truth that the Mainstream Liberal media wont give us!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 13, 2012 10:18 a.m.

If you have listened to this mans program in any meaningful way, and can still say that you think that his message is that of love, peace, caring for one another--you are lost. I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have found your own Jim Jones. Your fear and distrust of "the other" has been transformed into Orwellian double-speak and for you--"hate is love," "war means peace," and it's just plain dumb to be intelligent.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 13, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Gregg Weber
    Someone at Sacrament Meeting said he was a liberal democrat. I couldn't understand why one would be LDS and liberal. He said it was King Benjamin's address. I read it... but not the collective forced to do what is right (so that none shall be lost) socialist, communist aspect.
    I still don't understand how one can have 2 masters.
    10:13 p.m.
    ==============

I'm active LDS and Liberal.
    Agreed, King Benjamin + 3rd Nephi + Pioneers, United Order, ect.

FYI-

Families,
    U.S. Military,
    Zion,
    King of Heaven,
    ...all Socialist/Communist economic systems.

What's your point?

As for Lucifer's Plan -
    I see Conservatives as the one's more apted to strip away Free Agency,
    banning each and every little sin or vice,
    FORCING everyone to live a sinless life; (so that none shall be lost) ect.
    A plan of Free Agency - not Taxes.

Add to it,
    the War mongering,
    worshipping corporations and GAIN - $$$[Babylon] trampling the Constitutional rights of citizens but giving unlimited power to Banks and WallStreet ala, Master Mahans - Gadiantons. Drunk on the Wine of Babylon [Oil, see Book of Revelations].

We agree, how one can have 2 masters.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 13, 2012 9:54 a.m.

re:OlepuebloguyinWyo
    "Also, those who know that Romney was a Bishop and a Stake President,"

Which is why Romney's distortions/misrepresentations/lies in the campaign are more problematic and offensive to (some) LDS members.

"if only those, who are ignorant, knew how much Romney and Beck fork-out to charities."

So, are you suggesting people can "buy" their way? Lie and slander today, donate tomorrow?

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    June 13, 2012 9:25 a.m.

@Christoph (spelling?)
    "Go out in the world and work with your hands."

One should do what they do best for the most good and not be forced into the fields of Cambodia.

(If a thought can't be expressed without corrupting it, is it a thought worth thinking? Or is it badthink?)

• Jil York, SC
    June 13, 2012 9:24 a.m.

In one comment Mr. Beck was said to be divisive. My good husband fought communism in Viet Nam. I saw and felt the influence of this evil first hand while on a school trip to Washington D.C. when rioting, destruction and chaos broke out.
    THERE CAN BE NO COMPROMISE WITH SOCIALISM/COMMUNISM.This is the covert threat to our freedom and American way of life we have been so abundantly blessed with.
    Study your constitution to know what it says not what you have been told.
    May God bless Mr. Beck.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    June 13, 2012 8:58 a.m.

In the world of radio Beck pales in comparison to Howard("The King of All Media") Stern both in the amount of listeners and contract size. Stern's contract eclipses Beck by almost $500 million and Stern is by far a much better entertainer. After all that's all Beck is, an entertainer.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    June 13, 2012 8:18 a.m.

If only those, who are ignorant, knew how much Romney and Beck fork-out to charities. Yes, they donate a lot to their church (tithing, fast offerings for the needy, humanitarian aid, etc.), but in addition, you can be assured that they donate a lot to other humanitarian charities and other non profit organizations, as well. Also, those who know that Romney was a Bishop and a Stake President, surely must know of what those unpaid positions represent for all, both rich and poor and every other economic level in between. The face of those whom Romney ministered to had no dollar value scratched on their foreheads. And this does not include all the personal time they spend helping others, without desire for personal compensation. Consider the personal funds that the Romneys extended to those in need. Many may not like eithers politics, but do know that they both represent what Americans stand for, helping those who are in need. America is the country who as a whole, donates more of their personal income to those in need, both close to home and in other countries...hands-down. They are a part of that great heritage. Patriots!

• utahboni Ogden, UT
    June 13, 2012 7:29 a.m.

I just love the coments on this list that say something like "I wouldn't know all that I know about politics if it wasn't for Glen Beck." Do you know why he is the sole source of a lot of the things that he says? It is not because he is tapped into a secret font of wisdom or hidden knowledge. It is because he makes the information up. He is living proof that mental competence is not required to become a success. Gotta just love this brave new world.

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 13, 2012 7:13 a.m.

Creepy.

• Mike in Texas Cedar City, Utah
    June 13, 2012 7:05 a.m.

He was much too over the top even for Fox News. That fact has to tell you right wingers something about Bro. Beck.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 13, 2012 5:36 a.m.

@TOO - He tells it like you want to hear it.
    If it's facts and common sense you're looking for the Beckster is not the source.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    June 13, 2012 12:04 a.m.

I don't mind Beck, but I'll never pay him my hard earned money to join anything he posts...he is rich enough, and if he really believed what he says, he'd sign everyone up for free...but I guess he needs to buy more gold.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    June 12, 2012 10:13 p.m.

@alt134
    "See, THAT right there is why we claim Beck is a merchant of hate. This idea that "the left" those "progressives" want to destroy the nation... that is hateful. I'm a progressive, and I strongly disagree with many conservative ideas... but I don't think they hate america or want to destroy it."

But others have the fear that the left, progressives, are bent on the destruction of the Constitution and other things. I being one of them.
    Someone at my Sacrament Meeting said right at the podium that he was a liberal democrat. As he left I explained that I couldn't understand why one would be LDS and liberal. He said it was King Benjamine's address. I read it and saw the individual aspects but not the collective forced to do what is right (so that none shall be lost) socialist, communist aspect.
    I still don't understand how one can have 2 masters.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    June 12, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Neil in Clearfield, I think the comments show that there are exactly what you said- lovers and haters. Those who love this country and will not let it morph into a 3rd world magnet; those who may love this country, but who definitely love other people's money and are economically clueless. Different approaches in an imperfect world.

But the silly rantings and over-statements about Beck's motives are not true. His audience knew his Moore-killing fantasy was hyperbole; I'm sure the rest of the faux shocked ones did, too. You can't get more transparent than sharing your intimate family conversations, your disagreements with your spouse's Christmas list, your college daughter's proclivities, or the challeges of raising your handicapped child.

So snip and chide, the man has fans. He has faults and he waxes paranoid often, but he sure isn't making filthy remarks about Bristol Palin and living in debauchery.

Right on, BigSamoan! You nailed it.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    June 12, 2012 9:07 p.m.

I wonder if Glenn loves President Obama, Any person with any liberal political views, undocumented immigrants, or anyone who might disagree with him. You can't pick and choose whom to love and whom to hate. Love God and love your neighbor. Yes that means love those who don't share your political views. Does Glemn practice that? It does not appear to me that he does. He preys on peoples fears. What this country needs is more unity and forgiveness. Not name calling and divisiveness. It's amazing what good can be accomplished when people set aside differences and work together. Glne is divisive. The comments on here prove that.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    June 12, 2012 8:24 p.m.

I am speechless. Prophet? Love? I can do without his from of love and prophesy. If he were actually interested in love, his 'summitt' would include more people than sycophants. Dialogue requires more than one voice. Talking to yourself and your clones is not dialogue.
    What is spooky to me is that I think he believes his ravings and that there are people who actually do not recognize his insanity.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 12, 2012 7:23 p.m.

re:thebigsamoan
    "but to be involve in restoring our country back to the way it was,"

The way it was when the top tax rate was 70%? a majority of workers belonged to unions? when people could support their families on one salary? when CEO's didn't make 300 times the salary of their employees? when people invested money in new technology and industries rather than the casino called Wall Street and their credit default swaps? when the Sherman Anti-Trust Act was enforced? When corporate lobbyists didn't write legislation and pump money into campaigns? when legislators worked together and knew compromise was required to move the country forward?

Somehow, I don't think that is what you are talking about.
    So what are you talking about?

• BR Sandy, UT
    June 12, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Liberals will always hate the truth- check what they have done with the in faith in God. They try to rule by the minoroty in the name of democracy. All this is done so they would not have oposition to their lack of morality - Which the Bible condems.

It's hard to talk with them because of their hate towards everything that's is good.

Glenn Beck expose them and therefore they hate him.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    June 12, 2012 6:54 p.m.

I don't know that Glenn Beck is a prophet of love (he called himself a rodeo clown--I agree with that), but I know that Donny Osmond is a soldier of love! Sorry, couldn't resist.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    June 12, 2012 6:13 p.m.

I can tell you one thing, Glenn Beck is not a "Prophet of Love. He is a radio and talk show owner and host and it stops there. A Prophet is appointed through God and noone else. He should be ashamed of himself of even approving a title like that. Sometimes I wonder about who he really is. I've always liked him but as I said before...he is not a Prophet in any sense or word.

• Richard Smoker Provo, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:58 p.m.

I am a big admirer of Glenn Beck. I think he has a lot of well thought out and practical ideas. The Nation would do well to follow them--only then can we restore our values and freedoms and make America great again. I encourage the democrats to listen to him with an open mind. He is a refuge in a time of storms. I don't know why many people try to tear down this patriot. Keep truth-telling Glenn!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 12, 2012 5:56 p.m.

God bless Glen Beck! I'm proud he's a faithful member of my faith and I pray God will continue to prosper him and all his efforts to restore our constitution and return our nation to the way our founding fathers intended it to be. I understand he's a great dad and husband a very devoted to his wife, children and his faith. I also heard he's an awesome Sunday School teacher. My heart smiles as I think of the countless things he's doing to help others even while the opposition continues to demonize and try to destroy him. I love that he's fearless and unafraid to tell the truth as he expose those who are plotting to destroy our government and constitution, our free enterprise system, to turn it into some kind of European style socialist utopia. I love that he started his company with only 6 employees when he left Fox and now he's employed over 130 and planning to hire a 1000 more employee in the the next 3 to 5 years. I believe the Lord loves him despite all the hate and condemnation from those who loathe him. Go Beck.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:41 p.m.

"I remember a neighbor told me Glenn had said he wanted to kill michael moore. I just looked and decided there was no use trying to disuade him because he had really never listened to Glenn or he/you would know that's a huge lie!"- Star Bright

"Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong?"- Glenn Beck, May 17, 2005

Star Bright, you need to rethink your assumptions.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:23 p.m.

RE: extreme left commentors

Glenn Beck NEVER called himself a prophet. That is the writer of the article.

RE: atl134

The progressive did NOT end slavery, NOR end segregation, NOR gave women the right to vote

That was religious people.

It was the conservative and religous that spearheaeded civil rights.
    most of civil right leaders were also religious leaders!

And everyone wants clean water and air, and has NOTHING to do with progressivism.

Progressivism IS just another label to soft sale commuism and extreme left ideolgy.

That is a historical fact.

Hateful is not telling the truth or giving your opinions, views and beliefs.

But to hate on some for doing so is hateful.

To make hateful comments about Glenn Beck on every article related to Glen Beck is what is hateful.

All the haters here can come up with against Glenn Beck is a couple of out context quotes from thousands and thousands of hours of broadcasting on radio and tv.

WOW! Glenn is so hateful. NOT.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Oh, and one more question, becaue this is so much like the Texas megachurch scene, is Beck a major leader of the Mormon religiion?

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 12, 2012 5:16 p.m.

I'm scratching my head as I listen to the anti Beck rantings in here and wonder how on earth can people claim they listen to him and hear nothing but hate. Beck is neither for the Republican nor Democrat so the claim that all he's doing is pitting them against each other is an outright lie. Also, Beck never claim that he's a prophet of anything so I'm not sure where this self righteous hate towards him come from. I listen to him as often as I'm able to and every time he's telling his audience to return to God, prepare for tough times ahead so you can help not only your family but others who might need your help, to pray on your knees so your children can see you, to stop sitting on the sideline but to be involve in restoring our country back to the way it was, to not loose faith but depend on divine providence for protection, etc, etc. I never hear any hate but he does passionately defend against the danger of communism, socialism, and radical Islamic elements that have infiltrated our government to destroy it. Go Beck.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 5:14 p.m.

'Restoring Love.' It will include a 'global tea party summit,' a conference of conservative religious leaders, and a concert-rally at Cowboys Stadium featuring inspirational music from a growing roster of artists Beck is building," Coppins reported. "The goal, he said, is to seize control of pop culture from the left by producing patriotic, uplifting art — and use that new megaphone to promote a message of enlightenment and love. The event sold out its 40,000 available tickets in less than two days."

Question: Will the tea partiers bring their guns as per usual?
    Question: Will they burn the books of those they deem impure?
    Question: Is this part of the renewal of fascism?

• whynot67 Sandy, UT
    June 12, 2012 4:39 p.m.

That is a disgusting amount of money. No radio personality is worth that kind of money. Here's hoping he does some good in the world with all of that wealth.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    June 12, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Prophet of Love? Ha. Sure Glen. And Jesus was a prophet of hate and intolerance. Neither is true, unless, that is, you switch the titles with the individuals.

• Petra Sanpete County, UT
    June 12, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Does anyone else here see all those red flags about Glenn Beck being called a "prophet"...? I don't care what he's called a "prophet" of, all I see are HUGE red flags. For sure he did not write the article, but he can surely make known his request that that word not be associated with him. Taken together with some of the other things he's said and done, for me - a HUGE red flag.

Glenn Beck is NOT my prophet.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    June 12, 2012 4:27 p.m.

The LDS church is smart for keeping its distance from him.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 4:24 p.m.

@Charles
    "do you have any problem with the "hate" that comes from PMSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, NYT, MediaMatters, Malloy, Schultz etc?"

I actually can't stand Ed Schultz (I'm not familiar with Malloy). You're sorta criticizing entire entities (like even I would say there are several good hosts on Foxnews, especially Shephard Smith in particular who I think is one of the best in the entire industry) so I won't give an agree or disagree to those, other than to say that I'm sure I disagree with some rhetoric from each of them. Though I'm curious why you'd use a sexist term when classifying MSNBC.

"And I bet that 99% of you have never listened to him."

I was actually a big Glenn Beck fan years ago. I'd listen to his radio show all the time and I was the one who set my families' DVR to record Glenn Beck's CNN show (as well as Maddow, an atypical combination). Once he shifted directions with his program it started to get frustrating to listen to.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 12, 2012 4:20 p.m.

"loving" words from Beck:

"You know it took me about a year to start hating the 9/11 victims and families? I don't hate all of them. I hate probably about 10 of them. But when I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, i'm just like, Oh, shut I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining. And we did our best for them."
    9/9/05

"The only [Katrina victims] we're seeing on television are the scumbags."
    9/9/05

"I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today." on why people who lost their homes in forest fires in California had it coming.
    Oct. 2007

"what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies. ... And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."interviewing Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), the first Muslim U.S. congressman,
    Nov. 2006

• bob j Bli Bli, Queensland
    June 12, 2012 4:13 p.m.

Boy 0h Boy ! If only we could get it here in Australia. Would be really good for me but better still for my wife as she was a Beck. Going back 100's of years, I wonder if they are related.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 12, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Really Jamshid. Are there not more important things to write about than Glenn Beck?

So, the "Prophet of Love" came out with another book this year entitled "Cowards."

In this book Beck asserts, among other things that extremists are slowing Islamic law into our society, religious leader Jim Wallis is politicizing the bible, and calls Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham RINOs. etc.

Apparently name-calling is an expression of love?

Beck distorts, misinforms and lies regardless of what his listeners believe. So why do articles promoting him keep appearing in DN?

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    June 12, 2012 3:26 p.m.

@andyjaggy: 80% of the media votes Democrat. CBS' Moonves confirmed the liberal bias in the news media. Cronkite recently exposed as a liberal Democrat. Dan Rather fired for lying about Bush and his liberal bias is well documented.

You need to get a different news source if you aren't aware of the liberal bias in the news media.

@atl: do you have any problem with the "hate" that comes from PMSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, NYT, MediaMatters, Malloy, Schultz etc? Or is it a one-way street of dilusionment with you?

The hate that is contained in almost every post that complains about Beck is undeniably ironic. And I bet that 99% of you have never listened to him.

What's even worse is how the "loving" LDS folks destroy him in their comments. (roll eyes)

If you don't like Beck, don't listen to him. Don't watch him. Don't read his books. Your problems are solved.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 3:20 p.m.

@jsf
    Progressives ended slavery, ended segregation, gave women the right to vote. They passed the clean air act and clean water act, the civil rights act, and the voting rights act. They're the reason we have workplace safety standards and an 8 hour workday.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    June 12, 2012 3:02 p.m.

I think Beck is saying "progressive policies would harm the economy" thus his saying they are is OK by alt. But the problem with progressives is their continual attempts at social engineering. TheProgressives gave us the following programs.
    Involontary sterilization of the feeble and mentally ill.
    Racial sterilization for the improvent of race by elimination of one race, Margeret Sanger, (Planned parenthood).
    Prohibition.
    The nazi party's basis for the final solution. But first the elimination of the sick, invalids and mentally ill.
    The control of diet and meals by federal and state agencies.
    pc control of speech and thought.
    Yes progressives don't want to destroy the economy, they want to control every aspect of the economy and society.

• Rustedrhino St George, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:54 p.m.

The reason Liberals don't make money and no one watches their shows is because they are horrible and don't tell the truth. People can tell when the news is a bunch of hog wash. I appreciate a man who is making his own way. No government money, no pay off's or bribes. He say's what he wants and if you don't like it don't listen or pay for it.

People pay for what they want, good or bad. We live in a country that allows people to make as much as they choose. Glenn just seems to have the right formula and is also doing good things with the money he generates.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:49 p.m.

This one is my favorite :)

"O-L-I-G-A-R-H-Y." –misspelling "oligarchy" on his chalk board while claiming he had deciphered a secret code that he said was proof President Obama was trying to create an "Oligarhy," Aug. 27, 2009, Glenn Beck show on FOX News Channel

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@Star Bright

Glenn had said he wanted to kill Michael Moore.

He did.

The direct quote...

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, 'Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore,' and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, 'Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death.' And you know, well, I'm not sure." –responding to the question "What would people do for $50 million?", "The Glenn Beck Program," May 17, 2005

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:45 p.m.

To Star Bright,

The Glenn Beck Program, Premiere Radio Networks, 17 May 2005

"Would you kill someone for that?...I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore...I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it,...No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus — band — Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, "Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore," and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, "Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death." And you know, well, I'm not sure."

• Rustedrhino St George, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:43 p.m.

His network GBTV.com is the best money I pay for TV period. Great shows, news and comentary. Go Glenn.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:37 p.m.

I used to really like Glenn Beck years ago, but I can't stand him at all any more. He's so extreme and comes across as a real nut job. He give the LDS church a bad name, too. Not a fan....

• Rustedrhino St George, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:33 p.m.

The author of this "bias" article called him a prophet. He would never concider himself a prophet. He makes what he deserves and what the market will pay. Those that condem this should look at people like George Soros who makes much more and wants to take away free enterprise by manipulating markets and buying policy changes.

Glenn is a good man and his event is about giving to others, a message of hope and encouragement to be involved in what you believe. It's interesting to see the real hate in these comments about Glenn who apposes violence and law breaking in all forms. He is encouraging people to be free in every way.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Oh, Good Grief!

This guy will do anything to turn a buck. It's a wonder there are any people out there who still listen to him.

It certainly isn't much of a testimony of the collective intelligence of at least some Americans.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:25 p.m.

@Mountanman

"He is the alternative to liberal biased main stream media that stopped being journalists and have become progressive hacks and spin masters."

Why do "conservatives" always think there is some giant conspiracy against them? The media is part of some giant organization to overrun the country and bring communism on all of us! As far as I can tell I haven't seen any college or university programs claiming to educate people in liberal media indoctrination services. Of course that's what Santorum thinks all of higher education is...... so maybe people won't agree with me there anyway.

Has it occurred to people that maybe the media seems a little bit liberal because a large chunk of the population is a little bit liberal? Nah that couldn't be it, we have to find some sort of leftist Obama conspiracy.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Yeah as soon as you lump everyone who disagrees with you into the category "liberal" then I turn the station. I'm sorry the world isn't divided into two seperate and distinct thought patterns, "liberal" and "conservative". Most of us fall somewhere on the spectrum between the two.

I also don't believe that "liberals" are out to destroy America. We all love America and want it to succeed, we just have very different opinions on what needs to happen.

As long as we continue to think the world is divided into "liberal hippie socialists" and "conservative fascists" then nothing will get done.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:15 p.m.

He made money from 911; called anyone weak and wimpy if they were not for war in 2002 and 2003; media rewards him for calling others names; earns money playing on people's fears and talking of end-of-the-world scenarios. Life is eternal; life doesn't end. The world will be around for at least another 1,000 years; go get a blue collar job and live on humble salary; people with faith can live on humble salary and it all works out.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Beck's message certainly isn't a message of love. He also doesn't have a monopoly on uncivilized, sometimes hateful, tone. The extremists on both ends of the political spectrum pound us continually with messages of hate, distrust, and disdain for others. I'm tired of it.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    June 12, 2012 1:58 p.m.

If anyone has been threatened it's Glenn. They (I know, he knows) have tried to get rid of him, have boycotted his sponsors, threatend him physically, even coming from the white house.
    They all laughed when he started his new enterprise, thinking they had gotten rid of him. I think his pay at Fox was 20 million, now it is 80 million. Ha, Ha, ha!
    His radio shows are sometimes serious, sometimes comedy and I love to listen to his banter with his side kicks.
    So, yes, I guess he can laugh all the way to the bank.
    BTW, you people support billy mahar? Yah, let's talk about him.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:16 p.m.

He is nothing more than a highly paid (self described) clown, capable of mesmerizing dullards into believing he has something to say.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:14 p.m.

He's a charlatan who preys on the ignorant. Shame on Beck and shame on those who believe "he tells it how it is."

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 12, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Liberals hate Glenn Beck but his influence and audience continues to grow. He is the alternative to liberal biased main stream media that stopped being journalists and have become progressive hacks and spin masters. More and more Americans are rejecting the left. The proof is Glenn Beck’s and other conservative voice’s successes! The free market at work!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 12:59 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence
    "The assumption that disagreement is HATE - is the actual hate"

I'm okay with disagreement, but when you start calling progressives fascist, commies and nazis... that's not disagreement, that's hate. It's one thing to say progressive policies would harm the economy, it's another to say progressives actually WANT to destroy the economy.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 12, 2012 12:47 p.m.

@redshirt
    maybe because of the fact that he attacks people that do not share his views of the world by clumping them all under the term "liberal" then sets out to misrepresent their views and the facts. How many times has he been caught in his misrepresentation of the facts. I remember at least a couple of "videos" that where not exactly what he claimed they where. Maybe he and you should be careful accusing others of lying.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 12, 2012 12:44 p.m.

That should have been "profit" not "prophet" if the writer had really wanted to be accurate. Profit is all he cares about.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    June 12, 2012 12:28 p.m.

I don't listen to Glen Beck radio, but anything he can do to unify those with a hint of conservatism so that we elect a new president this fall is greatly appreciated.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:57 a.m.

@BoomerJeff

To quote Glenn Beck...

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005

9/11 victim families needed to be exposed because they were hurting our country, economy and freedom?

• Wonder Provo, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Beck may teach love, but it is only love for those who think and feel exactly the same way you do. He also teaches that anyone who disagrees with him is anti-American or a Nazi or is someone who is trying to destroy America. Believe me, we're not any of those, and I hardly "feel the love" when someone treats me like I am. You can disagree with someone without thinking they are Satan incarnate. I don't think it's healthy to be so sure that the whole world is in on some grand conspiracy to hurt you and yours. Have a little faith in your fellow man. Give other people the benefit of the doubt.

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:49 a.m.

The article claims that several religious leaders will attend; I wonder to what extent his LDS leadership will participate. Actually that was a rhetorical question; the answer is “ZERO”. They don’t want even the appearance that this cretin is speaking for them. Smart choice!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:44 a.m.

I am trying to figure out if the liberals listen to the same Glenn Beck that this article does. The Glenn Beck from the article quotes liberals and exlains what that means to the US social/political/economics structure. He tells people to get involved and to act with kindness.

I have not heard all the hate speech that the liberals claim that Glenn Beck engages in. Tell us liberals, why do you hate somebody who uses your own quotes to expose your lies?

• Ranch Here, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:43 a.m.

Beware of false prophets.

• Say What? Bountiful, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Prophet of love?

Call him a skilled and talented showman with a particular point of view, but a prophet of love?

• freedomforthepeople Sandy, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:35 a.m.

Glenn has done so much to educate and I really appreciate that. If you haven't listened to his lesson on American History, you might find them very instructional and fact based. He does a great job of vetting the facts and presenting them.

The truth is hard to hear and so some may call him a hater. But if you listen for any length of time you will learn that he is truly about love. I attended his Restoring Honor rally in DC and the love was palpable among many thousands of people from all walks of life who he successfully brought together and gave a message of peace, love, outreach and motivation to support and strengthen our nation. There were NO negative messages whatsoever. Only positive, uplifting messages of unity, hope and concern for our nation.

The mass media wouldn't cover the rally, which is telling. If they had, many more millions would know that Glenn truly is a messenger of peace and love, through truth and plain speaking

If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to him with an open heart. You will be surprised at what you hear.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 12, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Glenn is a phony and a charlatan. Sure he exposes the globalist to a certain degree. but he also protects them and is against any real solutions to fix our country. He just wants to keep it Republican vs Democrat instead of American vs Globalist like it ought to be. He is a patriot wannabe. He actually called for Ron Paul supporters to be arrested for doing nothing other than protesting. Glenn is the biggest fake I have ever seen. He is a globalist operating in the disguise of patriotism.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:25 a.m.

At age 18, he was making a six figure salary which nearly destroyed him. Our country needs farmers, carpenters, nurses, firemen, policemen, engineers, military, doctors and teachers. We don't need any more radio people. A very influential figure in Utah, spoke at the U of U's graduation 3-4 years ago and said, "Go out in the world and work with your hands."

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:21 a.m.

I like Glenn but in listening to him daily on the radio I really have to scratch my head and ask what he really offers anymore. With Rush and Hannity you get current pertinent news every day and they give practical info for conservative Americans but Beck sort of drifts off into some global cloud of mush most of the time and I have a really hard time staying focused with him.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:14 a.m.

I love Glenn Beck's program and hope his influence is getting bigger to wake up more American people.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:13 a.m.

@BoomerJeff

"He is exposing the individuals and groups that are hurting our country, economy and freedom. "

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    June 12, 2012 11:04 a.m.

I love Glenn Beck's program and have watched him since is days on CNN. His message has never been about hate. It is a message of truth. The problem is, some people can't handle the truth, that's why they get all bend out of shape over him. He is exposing the individuals and groups that are hurting our country, economy and freedom. Long live Glenn Beck!

• ECR Burke, VA
    June 12, 2012 10:47 a.m.

"The goal, he said, is to seize control of pop culture from the left by producing patriotic, uplifting art — and use that new megaphone to promote a message of enlightenment and love."

And it will only cost $100 million to hear that message. I wonder if Glenn has ever read Peter 5:2?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:47 a.m.

If beck makes a nickel off of his radio show it would be appropriate to call it 'profit of lunacy'. Are we really this far gone?

• kkodey Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:46 a.m.

This guy is unstoppable...He is quickly overtaking ElRushbo as the mentor for the politicians, and the man who can make or break any career in 25 words or less....Beck will soon be king of the castle, and the ayatollah of the airwaves....

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:34 a.m.

I have to wonder how his church feels about him declaring himself a prophet. I am sure his faithful will find someway to twist it in their minds to be alright.

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:33 a.m.

More like "Love of Profit"....

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 12, 2012 10:33 a.m.

I don't get it. He just signed a big contract based on his ability to arouse hate and now he wants to switch to love? Hate has worked so well for him and the people who listen to him. Switching to love is akin to Romney starting to caring about every day people now, after not caring about them one way or the other has worked so well for him and gotten him to this point.

• George Bronx, NY
    June 12, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Prophet of love? that has to be the funniest thing I have heard in years. If you read the full article is plan to spread love is to "seize pop culture pop culture from the left" to "unify his value based audience " through the use of "global tea party summit a conference to religious leaders and a concert rally." It sounds like pandering to his base to me.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:15 a.m.

Before the Beck bashing begins, let me say I love this man. He tells it how it is. Yes he says some controversial things, but if it weren't for him, I wouldn't know a lot of what I know right now. It's partly because of him that I got so involved in politics at a young age and actually have a voice.

Now, let the bashing begin.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Beck might be a lot of things, but a prophet of love? I usually just sense anger and hatred when I have heard him talk.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Prophet of Love? I hope someone's trying to be ironic...