Utah

Romney arrives SLC to appear with Hatch, raise money

Comments

• don17 Temecula, CA
    June 11, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Idaho Stranger: You bring up some interesting points regarding term limits. Here are two suggestions that might help in developing your idea. After each election don't have a lame duck session.

We could write an amendment that ends the current session of Congress on the day of the election. For example: No Congressional work from Nov 6 to Jan 20 when a President is sworn in. In conjunction with that no recess appointments protect the people even more.

These two suggestions help return the balance of power to the people. It forces all Congressional and Presidential action to occur before elections allowing us to vote on accomplishments. The President's authority to engage the military if neccessary being the only exception. This would all help reign in political power and the lobbyists favorite play time.

• bjdoc Boise, Idaho
    June 9, 2012 11:01 p.m.

It is time for Utah to dump hatch. He is totally on the payroll of big tobacco, and the nation Association of Drug Manufacturewrs. Hia son is the chief lobyists for the big drug cartels, and he has sponsored more bills than any aother senator, to ensure that the big drug seller can still empty your pockets with the sale of me-too drugs, that enlarge the drug cartel. Romney need to dump him .Utah need to help lower the cost of drugs, by not voting for Hatch.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 9, 2012 5:43 p.m.

Not too long ago I too subscribed to "term limits" as a great way to help
    fix some of the things wrong with our government. But no longer do I agree with term limits. Why?

"lame duck" is one reason. We are all aware that a "lame duck" representative can be dangerous as they have no reason to not just ignore the Constitution and/or the people and vote however.

"Concerning term limits, which were considered by the Founding Fathers during the
    Constitutional Convention of 1787, Alexander Hamilton wrote in The Federalist, No. 72:
    "Nothing appears more plausible at first sight, nor more ill-founded upon close
    inspection."'

There are "term limits" that do work however, and they create NO lame ducks, but they require an informed electorate who understand the "limited government" principle and who do not make their voting decisions based upon 30 second TV ads promoted by the various candidates. They do their own research and know how the candidates have voted or will vote. In other words, there is simply "No Substitute for an Informed Electorate". There are no shortcuts to good government.

Google "Term Limits Temptations" to see why I changed my thinking.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 9, 2012 5:00 p.m.

I will vote for Romney. Hatch? No. He's had his day in the sun. Thirtysix years of basking in the limelight. Not only has he repped Utah but please can anyone ask him how he's had time to serve the people and "write" songs and poetry and make money, at it? As if he's poor. Hatch has benefited from insider trading all these years in Congress. He's today's Frank Moss. Romney doesn't need Hatch. If Hatch's ego is such that he can brag about being an 'advisor' to Romney, then why doesn't he abdicate his senatorial throne and support Romney. When Romney wind, maybe Hatch can be appointed to as a member of his cabinet. Hatch looks tired and old and frankly rambles. What we need in Congress are younger reps, term limits and the removal of all those wonderful perks. Anyone ask Hatch if he still has a bloomberg in his office so he can see when to buy and when to sell? Yep, it pays to serve the people.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2012 12:15 p.m.

Last Utah General Legislative Session for 2011, I remember seeing bill after bill sponsored by Sen. Dan Liljenquist pass the house. I was amazed at the respect he and the bills had. I was amazed at how both republicans and democrats voted for them.

For example, his 2011 SB 180 Medicaid Reform bill passed both houses with no votes against it from either party and was signed by the Governor.

With at least 7 bills, both the house and senate, both republicans and democrats all voted for the reforms Senator Dan Liljenquist proposed. In all, 9 of his bills were signed by the Governor.

We need that in Washington DC. These are the same areas that are bankrupting our nation. Again, we need Dan Liljenquist in Washington DC. Yes, we have a US Senator with 35 years of seniority, but remember that in 2011, Senator Dan Liljenquist was still in his first 4 year term. He did it without seniority.

• Demisana South Jordan, UT
    June 9, 2012 12:15 p.m.

Hatch is no conservative. Don't forget, one of his best buddies for decades was Ted Kennedy, with whom he co-authored a number of bills, including No Child Left Behind. It's long past time for him to retire, and to get some fresh blood in there. I read a comment the other day that Liljenquist would be another Mike Lee - one can only hope. Romney is way better than Obama, although not as conservative as I would like. I hope to get as many real conservatives as possible in Congress, partly in order to keep Romney in line.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 9, 2012 11:27 a.m.

I am so proud to live in a country where a man such as our wonderful President Obama, can overcome the racist element of America and the stonewalling of the right and set this country on a track that was nearly demolished over the Bush presidency. These two aren't made of that stuff. This country isn't ready to stomach a President who doesn't have the strength of his convictions and can't stand up to a man like Donald Trump. Mitt Romney and Orin Hatch are decent men, but the Republican party doesn't seem to have room for decent, or compassionate people anymore.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    June 9, 2012 11:21 a.m.

@ A1994

It is certainly not too late. The window of opportunity to replace Hatch is during the primary election later this month. A lot of time and money was spent to provide each individual in Utah with that voting window of opportunity. Please don't give up without making good use of the historical chance we've all been given to finally rid ourselves of this corrupt, self-serving senator.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    June 9, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Senator Hatch represents one person in Washington, and that is Senator Hatch. His voting record proves he is part of the problem and not a solution. His refusal to publicly debate Dan Liljenquist shows that he doesn't care enough about the people of Utah to show them why he's still good for the state (or more likely, knows he can't). He's got time for photo opportunities with Mitt Romney, but can't be bothered with the people of Utah. In addition, if he does get in again, he will be a "lame duck" Senator. That's the last thing our state needs! Senator Hatch has become a corrupt cog in the Washington machine and needs to be retired. I am dedicated to doing my part towards that end during the primary election in a few weeks. I hope others will make an honest effort to study and research Senator Hatch between now and the primary election later this month, and come to the obvious conclusion, he needs to go.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 9, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Kaparowitz is 100% correct. It's time for new blood in Congress. But it won't come with either Hatch or Liljenquist.

Scott Howell, though, is another story. An honest, well respected man with good common sense is what's needed.

Scott Howell is that man.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    June 9, 2012 11:00 a.m.

@ MPeace If you had bothered to go to Liljenquist's website, you would have clearly seen an email address (info@danforutah.com), a mailing address (P.O. Box 829 Bountiful, UT 84011), and a phone number ((801) 923-4326), all of which are useful for contacting Dan. Does Orrin Hatch accept carrier pigeons too? Is that the reason for your inaccurate comment?

• carpoolmom SOUTH JORDAN, Salt Lake
    June 9, 2012 10:51 a.m.

I disagree that Hatch and Lilenquist would vote the same. Hatch voted for bailouts, tarp, liberal supreme court justices,medicaid, and on and on. That is why as a Republican we need someone that is Conservative. Why vote for a Republican that acts like a Democrat.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    June 9, 2012 10:49 a.m.

I'm not a fan of Hatch, but the window of opportunity to replace him is gone. He almost didn't need a primary this time and I think people in Utah are getting a little more content with him, especially since it looks like Obama is on his way out of office. There isn't the same intensity as when Bennett got thrown out.

Hatch has promised that this is his last term (although I don't know why this term will be any more important than the next term.) But if Orrin is leaving after this term, fine. Just don't be doing anything stupid like trying bipartisan legislation with Barbara Boxer or John Kerry for the sake of being bi-partisan.

@Instereo

I think Scott Howell is a decent man, but I don't want someone who is there to 'vote differently.' That's why the country elected Obama. So that we had a 'change' from the norm. And we got it. And it is not good.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 9, 2012 10:29 a.m.

What makes things worse is that Rand Paul turned his back on the constiution by joining the establishment darkside endorsing Romney. He sold his supporters and this country out.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 9, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Obama is the problem and Mitt will only continue that problem. Obama and Romney will not be getting one cent from me. A choice between the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. I choose to not choose evil at all and choose Good.

• kaparowitz A.F., UT
    June 9, 2012 9:06 a.m.

It's time to dump Hatch and put some new blood in Congress. We need to overturn some tables and send a message to Congress that we are tired of the status quo. We need new faces, fresh ideas and Hatch isn't the answer. Rise up people and vote this guy out! Hatch's reelection is in no way inevitable. Look at Indiana where Lugar went from virtual reelection prospects to being given the boot. Wake up people and send a message that we will hold politicians responsible for the mess they create. Hatch has become part of the problem.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    June 9, 2012 8:15 a.m.

When I compare Liljenquist and Hatch and think about the hundred of votes that they would each make in the senate if they were elected. I wonder how differently they'd actually vote and my conclusion is they'd virtually vote the same on every issue. So does it really matter who R's vote for in the primary? I don't think so if they are concerned about the results. All the arguments they are having about this election are actually kind of comical to watch. If they really wanted change from Hatch they'd vote for Scott Howell, at least there would be a difference in how he voted in the Senate and maybe something would get done in Washington.

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:42 a.m.

Mitt Romney paid a courtesy call to Utah yesterday. Of course, protocol requires a presumptive national candidate to be received by a current Utah national representative. Don't imply that Romney came principally because of Hatch's invitation to help him with his campaign. A President Romney can/will work equally well with a Senator Liljenquist, as with Orrin Hatch. Politicians often do "favors" for political acquaintances. It's NO BIG DEAL!

While Orrin's in Utah, why doesn't he serve his constituents with a debate or debates with his primary opponent? It is an election year, afterall and I think he's running. Is his schedule so "pressing", he has to return immediately to Washington, DC.? Yes, I thought so. "The little dog laughed to see such sport, and . . . the dish ran away with the spoon."

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Hatch has campaign cash from Phillip Morris (you know, the cigarette people) and Mitt has gambling moguls stumping and providing buckets full of cash. Wow! What a statement about the "religious right"!

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:28 a.m.

President Obama is hardly the worst president in American history. He has a long, long, long way to go before he reaches the level of Richard Nixon. I do agree that it is time for a change, and that Mitt Romney will do a better job with the economy.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:15 a.m.

As usual, the Hatch team is quick to jump in with their choreographed adulation of the career politician.

Romney's visit to endorse Hatch makes me less inclined to vote for Romney than it does to make me want to vote for Hatch.

No amount of endorsements from the political establishment will convince me that Hatch is the solution to, not the cause of, our problems in Washington.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:07 a.m.

Mr. Hatch became a millionaire in office; he loves a government paycheck and living in Washington D.C.; congress should work part-time and live in a barracks, start out with same pay as enlisted military. Mr. Liljenquist earned his money the old fashioned way.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    June 9, 2012 6:39 a.m.

The message from Romney is that he is courting the RINOs and the Tea Party all in the same week. Wednesday Mitt was promoting himself as a conservative after the victory in Wisconsin. Today he's kissing up to the old guard Hatch.
    March on to Tampa Bay.
    But after the convention watch him REALLY work the political spectrum.
    Candidates have no shame.

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 9, 2012 12:13 a.m.

I think it worth noting that a President Romney could work just as well with a Senator Liljenquist, as he could with Orrin Hatch. Utahns, don't let appearances be deceiving. One favor owed by a fellow politician can be re-paid at any time down the road. And I agree with the comment, "If Hatch is so busy representing Utah in the Senate, how does he break away for a photo op with Mitt in Utah???" There something fishy about the whole affair. I think it's about (to) Hatch!

While Hatch's is in Utah, I would hope he could also find time to debate his opponent, as well as attend $2,500.00 a plate dinners. Inquiring minds want to know, . . . what's up, Orrin???

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    June 8, 2012 8:42 p.m.

American presidency: Who gets the most greenbacks becomes one.

God is so proud of all the money spent on campaigns and fliers, while the 'widows and orphans' still suffer and the homeless still crowd our streets. How about a few televised debates and put your campaign platforms on the Internet or American Idol or Dancing with the Stars. Or just text your kids and constituents.

And a helpful suggestion for Peace in Provo: Find the new paragraph key and you might get a response. No one reads run-on diatribes. Short and pithy.

• JNA Layton, UT
    June 8, 2012 8:27 p.m.

I am an indepent, I am taken back when I see 2500.00 per plate fundraisers while there are people literally starving because they cannot find work.
    Barack Obama has been a disaster and is the worst President in the history of the United States. This is the most important election in history. We must rid ourselves of this President and his minions.
    Having said that, I do find it disconcerting that Mr Hatch and Mr Romney would attend something like this.

• Ex Pat Salt Lake City, Ut
    June 8, 2012 8:11 p.m.

"doingmyway

Salem, UT"

We are voting for a President. If you can't decide between Hatch and obama - I guess that is your problem. Unfortunately, obama is our problem. I hope you have a really swell job, just like all the people who are not on gov payroll, because I understand the private sector is doing great.

• doingmyway Salem, UT
    June 8, 2012 6:29 p.m.

I had decided to change my party vote this time and vote for Romney, but after I found out that he is a Hatch supporter I am more undecided than ever. My problem with Hatch is that he is part of the problem in Washington, and being one of the good old boys don't cut it with me. His experience and positioning hasn't helped up to now so why keep voteing him in? It's time for him to retire and stay home and write his music!!!!

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 8, 2012 5:46 p.m.

Romney and Liljenquist both have business experience; Hatch and Obama do not. A vote for Hatch is a vote for deficits (which began in year 2000).

• MPeace Provo, Utah
    June 8, 2012 5:26 p.m.

I would hope that Mitt Romney has a communications means to respond to people that email him questions and suggestions as to how to better help this country, and a means to get even a reasonable message back to them about the subject, if he becomes president. Obama has not this communication means. In 2 years I have received no responsiveness about anything. Before computers messages back by regular mail were possible from the president's secretary. Now there is nothing. It is a complete vacuum.

• Ignominious Sandy, UT
    June 8, 2012 5:23 p.m.

We should start a game; "Where in the world is Orrin Hatch"?

We know where he isn't, he isn't in DC as we've been told, busy fixing everything;
    He's not in Utah to personally show us he is still the best qualified.

I'll bet he has time to fly to Utah for a photo op and attend high dollar fund raisers and then will have to rush back to DC since he's the only one capable of fixing the mess he participated in creating.

• MPeace Provo, Utah
    June 8, 2012 5:18 p.m.

Good Communications is the main thing. Orrin Hatch is easy to get communications with by Email. I just checked the Liljenquist election site. I see no easy way to communicate with him by Email. What we really need in a Senator is means to communicate with him when we have a problem. We do not need to have him use his ideas of what our problems are, like Liljenquist displays. Our problems may become very different from the problems he perceives very fast. We need to have communications means. Hatch has these established. -And not by letter by mail to our Senators. Letters by mail to our Senators and Congressmen go through a checking for dangerous materials that may be enclosed in them in Pennsylvania which takes 3 to 4 months before they are received by our elected officials. If we have a serious problem, we cannot wait that long, therefore Email contact is very important. Senator Hatch has this means of communication. Liljenquist does not. I have to vote for the best person and that is Hatch.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    June 8, 2012 5:18 p.m.

When I was young the question came up of voting for JFK just because he was Catholic as I was. Voting for religion or even integrity is important, but also is how one stands concerning the Constitution (original intent small government). People with integrity can be misled into tyranical paths. I wouldn't vote for Harry Reid.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2012 5:09 p.m.

I thought Hatch said he was "too busy" to debate??

He can get "unbusy" for photo ops but doesn't have time to talk to the voters?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 8, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Great to have the two in Utah to raise money and awareness for both of these dignified and public service oriented people. Hopefully, it will help Senator Hatch in his bid for the primary victory in less than 3 weeks. We need both of these men to help toward help alleviate some of our woes in the State and Nationally. Men of conviction and integrity is what we need and that isn't happening in Washington, D.C. There were some changes two years ago but that is not all we need, we need a Senator from Utah in Washington, D.C. that will move forward and not just sit on the sideline saying his values are more important than doing something. Values and high values are worth pursuing and preserving but don't work if you just sit on the sideline and approach the battle in the Halls of the Capitol. We have plenty of principled people in Utah that could be holding their values and doing something but Senator Hatch is the one for now and has served us well for 36 years. His age is a factor but if he is willing to fight the battle, Good.