Sports

Red roundup: Pac-12 meetings wrap up without formal endorsement of exact football playoff system

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 9, 2012 12:13 p.m.

@motorbike

Actually it is you that is wrong. Once again people that are BYU fans, and people that are football fans, will watch. That is the way it works. Sure not every person on the east coast is going to stay up to watch a game on late but there'll be plenty that do.

But how many football fans are going to want to watch the utah/arizona game on the pac12 regional network they won't even have? And even if they do have it why would those east coast people want to watch it anyway when they can watch whatever Florida, Alabama, Ohio St. Michigan, Penn St., Aurburn, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, FSU, Miami, NC, SC, Pitt, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Tennessee, LSU, TT, T A&M, Maryland, Syracuse, West Virginia, Nebraska, Illinois, Louisville, Arkansas.......etc. game is on at the same time? The answer is they won't. Pretty much no one will watch that game. Or the utah/wsu, utah/cal, utah/osu, utah/asu, utah/ucla, etc. games. Even the west coast games involving every pac12 team other than wsu will draw more viewers than any utah game.

More will watch late night BYU.

LOL!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 9, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Sorry Duck but it's you who is wrong.
    I've spent about 1/3 of my time on the east coast in the last 5 years as I travel constantly for work. I guarantee you a 10:15 start time on the east coast when BYU plays USU will be watched by next to no one out east unless they're fans of those schools. Even then, the tv sets will probably turn off at half time.
    You know this is true, you just have a difficult time admitting anything negative about your cougars beloved "exposure".

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 9, 2012 8:20 a.m.

@motorbike

I do agree that BYU's vastly larger and more geographically spread out fanbase will have a harder time attending weeknight games than utah's exclusively sl valley fanbase. But once again the fans will either attend or give their tickets to someone that will attend. If it was idaho st. on thursday night (of course we both know it wouldn't be because that game doesn't have enough tv interest to warrant an exclusive thursday time slot) then perhaps it would affect attendence but all of the thursday/friday games BYU is scheduled to play this year hold plenty of fan interest and will be well attended.

And then there is this little fact. Other than how much fun it is arguing wth utah "fans" I don't actually care what utah "fans" think about this. It works out great for me and most BYU fans. Because of BYU's national following many, many, more fans get to see the games because of this. BYU fans all over the country get to see almost every single game BYU plays. If 5000 locals stay home and watch it on tv then it is worth it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 9, 2012 8:11 a.m.

@motorbike

Once again most of the fans don't mind the thur/fri games. Also every game BYU plays on thur/fri has plenty of interest for the fans themselves. You are also wrong about people in the central/east not watching games that start at 8:15 here. Obviously the BYU fans in those areas will watch as will the fans of the schools they play. But you fail to realize that tv schedules in the east always have a 1 hour later start than they do here. If a network show starts at 9pm here it starts at 10 pm back east, that is just how they do it. Same with news broadcasts, ours start at 10, in the east they don't start until 11pm. Those people are accustomed to everything being 1 hour later.

But every single school and every single fanbase is going to have to deal with this as it is the trend. It is all about tv now and because of that any team that is worthy of tv will have some weeknights and odd times, it is just how it is when you are relevent enough for national broadcast.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Ducky ...

Consider also ... not all Thur/Fri games are alike.

1) How many home/away? How many games do you inconvenience season ticket holders?
    BYU 3/4 at home Utah 2/2

2) Opponent (Interesting for the COUNTRY to watch)
    BYU 1.5 (Boise St and half credit for Washington State - half-way interesting opponent for the country to watch)
    Utah 1.5 (USC and half credit for Colorado - see WSU comment above)

3) Other reasons why a Thur/Fri game makes sense for the fans that week?
    BYU - USU game ... General Conf.
    UTAH - Colorado game ... fans off work for Thanksgiving weekend.

4) Start time
    BYU 8:15, 7:00, 6:00, 8:15 - 7:00 in Boise is great, 6:00 affects commuters and SLC fans but it's a good time for national audience. 8:15 games - no one in CST/EST will watch the game. MST is even debatable, certainly for duration.
    Utah 6:00 and the rest unknown. 6:00 in Logan works fine other than for those that want to travel to Logan.

Not all that different but there are reasons Utah's 4 non-Saturday games make a bit more sense.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Ducky ...

To further answer your question ... the majority of Utah season ticket holders are in Salt Lake County, Thur/Fri games aren't as much of an issue. Whereas BYU probably has a good quarter or more of their season ticket holders that drive from outside of Utah County to attend their games.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of Utah playing Thur/Fri games either ... the benefit that I do see in those games is there aren't many if any other games being broadcast so it can be a way for the country to see your program.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Ducky ...

"But of course utah has just as many thursday and friday games scheduled as BYU does so what is your point?"

I thought I was pretty clear with "my point". In fact it's really not "my point" at all. Several of your fellow BYU fans have complained about the fact that they as season ticket holders are expected to drive down to Provo from their homes in SLC or wherever else to watch a Thur night game that starts at 8:30pm against a lousy opponent.

Not everyone is coaching their kids teams on Saturday and live in Highland, UT as you do. See "my point"?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 10:09 p.m.

@motorbike

I like the night thursday and friday noight games, they don't interfere with the games my youth team plays on saturdays. It works out great for me and all the parents of the boys that play youth football. friday's do occasionally interfere with thHS games. I don't like that. But of course utah has just as many thursday and friday games scheduled as BYU does so what is your point?

I'm a season ticket holder, since 1980, and I'm more than happy with how things are.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 5, 2012 9:08 p.m.

" U got the best of us on September 17. This year will not be the same."

For once, CougFan is right. He knows the Y's blowout loss this year will be September 15th, not the 17th.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 5, 2012 7:39 p.m.

Ducky,

For the record I have never once stated that BYU fans have a bad deal with BYUTV and ESPN. If I'm a coug fan I'm pretty dang happy that I can see my cougs every week.
    If I'm a season ticket holder I'm certainly NOT happy ... especially if I live in Salt Lake County traveling to Provo for weeknight games ... and late games at that.
    I'm simply saying the non-BYU fans are not going to be tuning into BYUTV which doesn't give BYU the "exposure" outside its own fan base it's "fans" profess to have.
    Even the ESPN games are more often than not in a time slot and day of week when viewership is much lower. ESPN likes BYU, no argument there. BYU has a great following due to the LDS church, no argument there either. But make no mistake, BYU's arrangement with ESPN and BYUTV doesn't exactly mean they're getting the exposure you all like to brag about.
    All that being said ... I reiterate, if I was a BYU fan without season tickets, I'm pleased as punch that I can see all the games.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 7:31 p.m.

Duckhunter:

I "read" about the Indy-WACers games, and commented on them. I did not "watch" them.

Except for the Utah game that is. 54-10, and your boys quit. Haha!

Have fun down there in the WAC.

Mid-majors forever.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 7:28 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"No you didn't watch 9 utah games on national tv. You are be untruthful again."

No, I wasn't being untruthful. I merely misspoke. I did NOT watch 9 games on TV last season. I only watched 7: USC (Vs.), the Indy-WACers (ESPN2), and Washington, ASU, Cal, OSU, and Colorado (all on FOX Sports). I didn't watch Pittsburgh (ESPNU) or Ga. Tech (CBS) on television, but only because I watched them at Heinz Field and at the Sun Bowl. What I MEANT to say was "ABLE TO" watch 9 games back here in Philadelphia.

CougFaninTX:

The cougars did not get better as the season wore on. Their schedule just got worse. There's a BIG difference. Don't forget that when you played TCU late in the season, you did not show the same "improvement" as you did vs. UCF, USU, SJSU, ISU, or OSU. In fact, you guys struggled with UCF, USU, and OSU. Not struggling vs. SJSU, ISU, Idaho, NMSU, or Hawai'i does not mean you "improved".

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 6:43 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

The cougars didn't improve over the course of the season. Their schedule waned. Big difference.

Duckhunter:

The following games were aired in Philadelphia: USC (Vs), the Indy-WACers (ESPN2), Washington (FOX Sports), ASU (FOX Sports), Pitt (ESPNU), Arizona (FOX Sports), UCLA (I can't remember if that was Vs. or FOX Sports), WSU (FOX Sports), Colorado (I can't remember if that was ESPN or FOX Sports), and Ga. Tech (NBC). I missed only the Pittsburgh game and Ga. Tech games, but only because I was AT those events. MSU, Cal, and OSU did not see airtime on the East Coast.

But we COULD watch them on the internet; even though I didn't.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 6:00 p.m.

@naval vet

P.S.

And yes you did watch every single BYU game then commented on all of them. I watched about half of utah's games, I haven't ever pretended otherwise. Good thing kjzz was around to broadcast them otherwise I couldn't have watched that many.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 5:57 p.m.

@naval vet

No you didn't watch 9 utah games on national tv. You are be untruthful again.

LOL!

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    June 5, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Coug Fanin Texas .......If you look at the entire season as a whole for Utah it's much the same. Thou Utah had an off day in getting beat by Colorado, they did win a much better Georgia Tech team in their bowl game and we did it with a D2 quarterback. As for this years rivalry game you need to realize a few things. Utah has its best recruiting class of all time, they will be even better this year, and the rivalry game is at Utah. I'm sure last year you predicted a Couger win just like this year. Don't count on it. It's not going to happen.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 5, 2012 5:24 p.m.

@Naval Vet - Seriously, do you think ESPN would broadcast 11 of BYUs 13 games last year if nobody was watching them? I know it's hard for you to admit, but the number of fans who follow / watch BYU football eclipses the number who follow / watch Utah.

You can continue to enjoy your 54-10 thumping of BYU last year or you can look at the season as a whole, where BYU did quite well. I think we all know which team would have won if the game were played in November when BYU was peaking and Utah was getting thumped by a terrible Colorado team.

But I'm happy to concede, U got the best of us on September 17. This year will not be the same.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Duckhunter:

P.S.: Back here in Philadelphia, I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPNU. I also get byuTV. Do you know how many Y games I watched last season?

ONE! And that's INCLUDING the postseason. But that "ONE" game was a great one, wasn't it? 54-10! As for your byuTV...I watched it TWICE: General Conference in Oct. 2011, and Mar. 2012.

Now on the flip side, I'm quite certain you watched more than 1 Utah game...even if it was on Vs. or KJZZ.

"I understand the basic utah 'fan' inferiority complex contributes to your need to make ridiculous claims but other than for mocking of you purposes I don't care."

Inferiority complex? Need to make ridiculous claims? Wow! Duckhunter = uber hypocrite

Have fun down there in the WAC! Haha!

Mid-majors forever.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 4:15 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"All the majority of BYU fans care about is that they can see BYU sports, between ESPN, which will always far exceed anything the pac12 networks will do, and then BYUtv, BYU fans have better access to watch their schools sports than pretty much any other fans of any other school there is. This is a fact."

Aren't you one of the frantic and emotional ones who claim that the Indy-WACers have a "National Brand", while the Utes' only appeal is inside the SL Valley? And if the vast majority of Utah fans live within Utah's borders [which I believe they do], then wouldn't "all the majority of [UTAH] fans care about is that they can see [UTAH] sports, between ESPN...and then [FOX and/or the Pac-12 Network]"? So what would you have to jeer about? It seems to me that the only folks that should be concerned is the number of Utah fans/alumni who live outside of the Utah/Colorado region. And yet...we're NOT! Last year, I watched 9 Utah games on "national TV". This year, if I get AT LEAST 10, no harm, no foul.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 1:36 p.m.

@motorbike

I'm sure we'll find out. But as of this date in time the pac12 family of networks is nowhere near BYUtv in distribution across the country, or the world. You can sit back and wait for that "hilarious" outcome, like you have a choice, but even that is not of any real importance to me other than as fodder to mock utah "fans".

What is hilarious is utah "fans" like yourself tha somehow think any of that is a negative for BYU fans. I understand the basic utah "fan" inferiority complex contributes to your need to make ridiculous claims but other than for mocking of you purposes I don't care. I do love the mocking part though, really enjoy it.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 5, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Ducky,

I'm confident that wherever the Pac 12 channels land that they'll each be viewed as much or more than BYUTV. The main Pac 12 station is a no brainer, it's only the regional ones we can debate what viewership will be.
    Won't it be hilarious if channels that are requiring a higher priced tier, depending on where you live, still generate more total viewers than BYUTV which is available on all basic packages throughout the country and beyond?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 8:16 a.m.

@motorbike

Actually to get viewers the station actually has to be on their tv sets.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 4, 2012 7:25 p.m.

The future football playoffs are very unlikely to be limited to conference champions because of (at least) two factors:
    1- The SEC and Big 12 both want the 4 best teams available on the thought that they could qualify 2 teams in some years.
    2- This will leave out the independents and there is a lot of support to include Notre Dame.

• Craig Frantz Spokane, WA
    June 4, 2012 6:19 p.m.

Duck Hunter
    Why are you so obsessed with Utah Football? You troll the Utes threads; kinda sad.

Utah is part of the in croud. BYU is on the outside, looking in. Just the way it is.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:36 p.m.

"Next week the league will hold a "draft" with their media partners in order to pick games for air and should release a schedule sometime shortly thereafter."

Wonder if KJZZ got the notice or if Uncle Larry got a deal on the old 'theMTN' network equipment?

We shall now see the true marketability and appeal that the Utes bring to the table. Last year KJZZ saved the day, this year?

Get your excuses ready!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Ducky,

No my friend, the difference is how many viewers will actually tune into the games. Whether it's a paid subscription or free, how many televisions are tuned into the game? THAT is what matters.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:22 p.m.

@motorbike

The difference is they actually can watch it if they desire to do so. That is a very big difference.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Hey Ducky,

Go poll america and ask them all what channel they can find BYUTV on. Then ask if they've ever actually watched it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 4, 2012 2:49 p.m.

I love it, 5 comments and 4 are from utah "fans" obsessing about BYU.

As far as the pac12 network is concerned naval vet you probably ought to save your celebration until it is actually on enough cable and sattelite systems nationwide to actually be available to people. As of this post it is not going to be available to even 1/2 of the people BYUtv is available to and for those it is available to none of them can get it on a basic system. They have to pay for an expanded system to receive it. Outside of slc not to many care enough to pay for it.

LOL!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 4, 2012 1:16 p.m.

@couglifer

....says the BYU fan who purposely clicked on a Utah article, wrote a not-so-witty comment, and clicked submit....

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2012 11:37 a.m.

yup i can see how far you all have pasted BYU by 3 comments and all 3 mention BYU yup i can see it well maybe in 3 to 5 years

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 4, 2012 11:28 a.m.

Guys we don't even have to bring up BYU or their fans when it comes to a PAC-12 article, don't throw them any skittles PAC-12 tic, tock the game is locked and byu isn't even in the conversation. It's just not worth it guys, we've past them by in football 2-5 years in everything else.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2012 11:22 a.m.

"Pac-12 Network could release early football schedule soon." -- Bryan Fischer, College Football Recruiting blogger

"It's exciting, T-minus 75 days, I think, until we launch on August 15th...As early as next week we could be announcing the first three or four weeks of our football schedule." -- Larry Scott, Pac-12 Commissioner

"AWESOME!" -- Naval Vet

Good for Utah! Bad for Duckhunter.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Can I just say how nice it is belonging to a conference?

I don't like BYU football although the school is very good. I see that some fans justify the independence thing but know BYU would be better off in a strong conference. BYU is not Notre Dame so I don't see this independence helping their program in any way. I realize they will never be in the Pac 12 but the Big 12 is still a reality if ego's can be put away.

Utah and BYU are still attached in too many ways.

Go Utes!