Faith

LDS Church organizes first stake in India

Comments

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    June 6, 2012 3:59 p.m.

One of those ten thousand members served her Mission in my Ward What a great sister and a strong testimony of the restored Gospel. This such great news!

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    June 4, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Hutterite: "Tough place to call something a stake."

It'll be the first "stake house" in all of India! And those sisters will bring their famous Curry Jello to the potluck functions.
    (-;

(But seriously, this is awesome news. The Kingdom rolls forth. I may live long enough to see a worldwide church.)

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Why not go all Mother Teresa in India, instead of wards, branches, stakes and maybe a temple, why not orphanages, hospitals, and feeding houses in the slums of Calcutta? With the LDS’s resources it could have a huge impact on spreading the Christ’s Gospel of grace in India as opposed to one Stake Center representing some .000005% of India’s population.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 4, 2012 9:32 a.m.

Legend has it, Jesus spent time in India.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least -- more of other sheep.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    June 3, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Wow! This is AWESOME news!

I'm a very active member of the Church and I literally had no idea we've had a presence in India for over 30 years (1981) or that we had not one, but TWO, missions over there. In time those 2 missions will yield MILLIONS of converts.

I just returned 2 days ago from a month long business trip to Jordan and I can tell you that the people in that part of the world are in desperate need of the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

14 million and growing, despite what haters like 'Corvette' say.

The caravan moves on, baby!...

• BYU Papa Cedar Hills, ut
    June 3, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Some years ago a friend of mine established an orphanage to save the lives of little girs left to die because of the lack of resources of certain parents. I am sure that these children whose lives have been saved appreciate the efforts of members of the church to help them.

I guess maybe the church is anxious to establish stakes of the Church throughout India.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    June 3, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Opening stakes and building temples is not a sign of growth. Numbers are and attendance is stagnant nearly everwhere (if not id decline). Feel good stories amd projection of power does not cut it anymore. Please tell eveyone the truth.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 3, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Dear I am LDS 2: I personally know TWO upper level Bramahns who are members of the Church.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    June 3, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@red corvette - what does it matter to you if there is a stake in India - how does this affect your life? The creation of a Stake allows the many branches with sufficient member attendance to become "wards". This means the Branch Presidents will become "Bishops". The Area Presidency that supervises India is located in Hong Kong - many hours away by plane - so this will also modify the reporting method and allow more local leadership advancement which leads to greater spiritual experiences to come. The Mission Presidents in India will no longer have oversight of the Branches and can devote more time directly to Missionary activities.
    I don't see any "negatives" with the creation of the Stake. I have visited the Bangalore Branch last year and this organization change is an answer to their prayers and a blessing in their lives as they are devoted to follow teachings of Christ.
    I'm sure a temple will eventually be built in India so the temple blessings can also be more accessible to the members who currently have to fly to Hong Kong. Line upon line .. the gospel rolls forward.

• ER in EUR Belgrade, Serbia
    June 3, 2012 10:22 a.m.

My family moved to a capital city in Central Africa into a group of only 6 members (WooHoo 40% growth!!!). The group was lead at the time by a great man who was, he believed, the first child of record baptized in India. He was a returned missionary and so too was his wife.

He and his family were an excellent example to me and my family. When we left 3 years later the branch had been formed and we were a family of approximately 85 members and were in a building (rented) with average attendance around 100. Around 10 people were being baptized every 5-6 weeks. The church does seem to be growing in both Asia (I was in Asia as a missionary) and in Africa. I loved my great Indian friends.

• KTC John Wetumpka, AL
    June 3, 2012 7:23 a.m.

Red,
    You used the word "desperate" to describe the Church. Are you sure you were not reflecting your feelings about yourself?

• Soul Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2012 1:02 a.m.

Don't be surprised when the second LDS Stake in India is organized in 2013. Good luck to the hardworking members in India.

By the way, I witness the creation of the first LDS Stake in North Dakota in 1978 (the last state in Union to establish a Stake of their own). What tremendous blessings came of that organization.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 3, 2012 12:03 a.m.

I've worked with hundreds of Engineers from India over the years -
    even fellowshipped and helped the missionaries with one family joining a few years ago.

They will return, and will soon spread the "Good News" - and will become good local leaders.

The Church must shed it's Anglo-Saxon - white, Utah Mormon stereotype - in order to truly be no more Strangers and Foreigners - but fellow citizens with the Saints.

Diversity, Tolerance, and an Open-mind Spread Christianianity 2,000 years ago.
    The same formula applies this time as well.

NAM- EST- TAYYY and VANAKKAM

Hello ---

• SparkyVA Winchester, VA
    June 2, 2012 11:46 a.m.

@10CC I hired a young man, graduated from Michigan Tech (Battle Creek) who was from Chennai, was Catholic and who's last name was Fernandez. There is a strong Christian enclave around the area of Chennai (Madras). When they converted, they often took the surname of one of the Franciscan monks that served them. I also have a good friend from Mumbi (Bombay) who is Jewish. They both look very much like any other Indian. There is still some religious violence with Muslim and Hindu still very sensitive about defending their religions. It still puzzles me how a Hindu monk won't kill an insect but will kill a human being. For those visiting the country, poverty is still very bad and will shock you.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    June 2, 2012 11:34 a.m.

Viviana from Santa Clara, thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. One comment like that makes up for a host of less charitable comments on all sides.

Congratulations to the new stake and the six new wards:

Hyderabad India Stake
    A.S. Rao Nagar Ward
    Madinaguda 1st Ward
    Madinaguda 2nd Ward
    West Marredpally 1st Ward
    West Marredpally 2nd Ward
    West Marredpally 3rd Ward

• SparkyVA Winchester, VA
    June 2, 2012 11:32 a.m.

I was giving a lecture in Coimbatore, an industrial city south west of Bangalore about 7 years ago. One of the waiters approached and offered me coffee, which I declined. He then offered me tea, which I also declined. Knowing I was an American, he then asked if I was from Salt Lake City. I smiled and said no but I was of the religion from that city. He smiled real big and said he was taking lessons from the missionaries. My turn to smile real big. A few months ago I met one of his countrymen working at the Vail in the Washington DC temple. India's time has come!

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    June 2, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Hutterite... you have the best comment so far. Im still laughing.

• Article-Reader Spanish Fork, UT
    June 2, 2012 11:06 a.m.

For those that are unfamiliar with the way the church is organized in foreign lands, let me give you a little perspective. 10,000 members in a country isn't uncommon when a stake is first organized. Simply because, well, a country like India is close to the size of the Continental U.S. So, imagine, if there were only 10,000 LDS here, and a Stake was formed, it would be miraculous.
    Also, I personally believe that the comment in the article that stated the Stake would serve the needs of 10,000 LDS in India, is an unintended error. Stakes only serve the needs of the members of that Stake. Are there 10,000 members in the Stake? Those would be some pretty big Wards. On the contrary, there are only 10,000 members in India, one Stake, and six Districts. Stakes will communicate directly with the area presidency, while Districts fall under the "jurisdiction", (for the lack of a better word), of the Mission, which in turns communicates with the Area Presidency. Districts and Missions will fulfill the needs of their members the same way a Stake does.

• Viviana Santa Clara, CA
    June 2, 2012 11:01 a.m.

My daughter was there and she said that the energy that was there from all that attended could almost be touched. She said that it was great to see the faces of the future of the Church in India. A historic experience! We should be happy for those who are open to more knowledge of the gospel.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    June 2, 2012 10:52 a.m.

I agree that this is exciting news. The first stake in a country is meaningful. It can't happen until there are enough dedicated people willing and able to carry the load.

I visited Chennai (where one of the other districts in India is located) in 2007. While there, I visited the historic sites where the Apostle Thomas is believed to have lived and the hilltop where he is believed to have been martyred. I also visited a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva.

I am disheartened by all the piling on about Red Corvette's ill informed comment about what it means to create a stake. We should have a little more tolerance. It is one thing to politely point out an error in understanding, but let's not be rude and condescending about it.

The 10,000 members in India were in 7 districts, each of 3 to 7 branches (small congregations). One of those districts (with maybe 3000 members) had grown to the point where it could be made a stake. A stake can't be created without a required level of dedicated membership. It isn't something that is done out of desperation.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2012 10:52 a.m.

The inside story is even more awe inspiring. Those stories of personal faith and redemption are rightfully not the material for newspapers.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 2, 2012 10:35 a.m.

@ 79Ute 6:52 p.m. June 1, 2012

Hutterite may have meant Steak?

@ beetdiggingcougar 7:05 p.m. June 1, 2012

That's some non sequitur you threw out? Is that the best you can do?

Seriously, There are a great number of Buddhists, Sikhs, & Hindus in the US so turn about is fair play.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 2, 2012 10:12 a.m.

What a great thing to hear! I love it! The work continues and advances. I'm very happy for the people of India.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2012 9:37 a.m.

One of the issues with opening new areas is that the Church builds Stake Centers in the center city, near transportation hubs because members have to raly on public transportation. As the church matures, wards are built in outlying areas, populated by families, and, for example, in Chile, center city Stake Centers are vacant or with small, struggling congregations.

• eagle651 Chino Valley, AZ
    June 2, 2012 9:22 a.m.

There's no mention of Christ's salvation plan for the nation of India, just some negative views based on accountant type membership numbers.
    Don't waist your time on this guy, he is unable to think ahead.
    Think positive, think about the future.
    Wards,Branches,Stakes and maybe a Temple, one step at time--the Lords way.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    June 2, 2012 8:48 a.m.

To help the sincere questioner... the first India Stake will serve ALL of India, not just the immediate members within the Stake area. The District Presidents and members of the branches will look to the Stake for help in organizational training, in assisting in projects and in overall spiritual, and temporal guidance. The story, as written, is correct, but likely only fully understood by those who work in such organizations, so, the writer could have elucidated this point more fully. Still accurate though.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    June 2, 2012 8:27 a.m.

An interesting note about Christianity in India: there were churches formed by the Apostle Thomas after Jesus' death in the southwest corner of India, long before the Great Apostasy the LDS church claims as the need for it's restoration.

These Christian Indians have a direct lineage to Jesus, yet are not Catholics, Orthodox, Protestant or LDS.

It will be interesting to see what their reaction is to the LDS message about the need for restoration.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    June 2, 2012 8:17 a.m.

People who are skeptics need to look how Brazil started. Membership in India will skyrocket in the not-too-distant future. Trust me.

• Sandee Spencer Longwood, FL
    June 2, 2012 8:14 a.m.

Happy Happy News! Welcome India!

• Are You for Real? Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2012 8:04 a.m.

@ Red Corvette: The church has 6 additional branches in India. 10,000 members spread amongst 6 districts and 1 stake shows that the creation of the first stake is pretty consistent with how things progress in the Kingdom of God. What is the scripture? Oh yeah Ether 12:27: "And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness."

• BobKjar Humble, TX
    June 2, 2012 8:01 a.m.

Many of the thoughts are unbecoming. Know ye well that in the last days the gospel will be taught to all nations, kindreds, tongues and people.

• BYUHSeasiders Taylorsville, UT
    June 2, 2012 7:27 a.m.

@Red
    Such negativism. I thought I read comments about how faith building this news is.
    the Lords work is progressing in this part of that vineyard. Make me feel great. Not reading troll remarks.

• NotIll Champaign, IL
    June 2, 2012 12:49 a.m.

I attended a sacrament meeting in Hyderabad a few years ago when I was there for a conference, and it was one of the most inspirational meetings I've been to. The members there were very mature, and I left feeling like I ought to have been taking notes.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 2, 2012 12:03 a.m.

Red Corvette,

The Church can't build a temple until cohort of leadership is developed that can serve as sealers, workers, etc. There is also the Geographic issue. 10,000 members in a nation the size of India is still fairly scattered. The Church will need several stakes and supporting personnel in a single region of India to maintain a temple. It will come in time.

• javinishot Provo, UT
    June 1, 2012 11:51 p.m.

I am so excited to hear that. I served my mission there and it's fantastic news. There are so many wonderful members there and it shows the strength of the church continuing to flourish in India. Go India!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    June 1, 2012 10:04 p.m.

I wonder how it feels to stand in front of a stone rapidly rolling toward you, and whining to try and stop it. Thankfully, I've been blessed to be behind the stone and enjoying the great peace, joy and fellowship of so many great people. Seeing this happen in India is terrific. As a child our military family lived in small branches in Alameda, CA, Spokane, Dayton, San Antonio, Frankfurt, Germany; then to the Chicago area, and then Omaha. Again, all small branches. Today, there are stakes and temples in everyone of those places. Amazing growth and the goodness that follows.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 1, 2012 9:40 p.m.

You haven’t seen anything yet in Asia! Wait a few more years, the growth of the church there will be astounding!

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 1, 2012 9:16 p.m.

Actually, it is relatively easy to baptize "untouchables". The more elite castes, such as the Brahmin, are not likely to join the Church.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 8:41 p.m.

The field is ready to harvest... Anyone? Anyone? lol

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 8:40 p.m.

atl134,

That was my thought exactly. Whatever one's feelings are, according to the numbers of most stakes- this seems more overdue than premature.

• no comment New Orleans, LA
    June 1, 2012 8:13 p.m.

I lived for a year in Bangalore, and my branch there had just as much competent leadership as my ward in SLC. The average attendance was around 150-200, clearly big enough to be a ward, but since no stake, no wards.

There are 3 branches in Bangalore, and 5 in Hyderabad. If those 5 branches are anything like my branch in Bangalore, there will be a strong stake there.

FYI: Not mentioned in the article: A couple of years ago the church announced the start of construction of the first stakecenter in India, and that 5 more just like it would be under construction within a year..

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    June 1, 2012 7:54 p.m.

Very cool. Line upon line, precept upon precept. The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is new to many South and Southeast Asian peoples, but just as a small stream will eventually change a mountain into a plain, then into a valley, so too will the truth work its way into the hearts of those eager to listen with their hearts, minds and spirits.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 7:38 p.m.

@Red Corvette
    "10,000 members in all of India? Shows just how desperate the church is to create a stake there, "

Uh, I think most stakes only average about 4,000 members. If anything this would be overdue.

• beetdiggingcougar Vancouver, WA
    June 1, 2012 7:05 p.m.

Hey Red, how's the economy doing in Sacramento? By how much did the California state budget deficit grow today?

Such good news! Glad to see the Church growing in many diverse places!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    June 1, 2012 6:52 p.m.

No tougher a place than American Fork, although historically too tough for a Hutterite community. Thriving in American Fork?

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 6:39 p.m.

This is wonderful news! I couldn't be happier about it.

For a time I had a friend from Hyderabad who lived here. We talked about some differences and similarities between Hinduism and the beliefs of the LDS Church, about cultural differences, and of course the movies! What right-minded Indian wouldn't talk about films? lol, I only kid, but everyone I've known from India just lives film and I enjoy that with them. I may not enjoy Bollywood, but I could drown everything in a good curry. Yum!

Anyway, there are members there and they love the Gospel and the joy it brings. Whether it's 10,000 or 20,000 or 10 people only- members are members and their love of God, family, and the Book of Mormon is something to find joy in. Not all of us will, but that shouldn't stop those of us who want to from welcoming this news.

Yay for India! Welcome, welcome, Welcome to the stakes of Zion!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 1, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Tough place to call something a stake.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    June 1, 2012 5:41 p.m.

Red Corvette: You really need to understand how stakes and wards are formed before you start passing out lies and such.

Everything that I just suggested is based on active membership not total membership in an area. The other is based upon active Melchizdek Priesthood holders. There must be sufficient activity to warrant a stake versus a districk and a ward versus a branch. Until you understand this you will never understand that a stake signifies growth in an area just as a ward signifies the same thing.

Do you have a majic ball to tell you how much is active or are you basing it on statistics that only 33% are active. Fact is the activity rate overseas is higher than the activity rate in the United States. The activity rate is higher in Utah than outside of Utah in the United States.

Before spilling hatred and misinformation I suggest you get your facts straight first.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    June 1, 2012 5:38 p.m.

redvette, thanks for following the DN from your busy life in Sacramento.
    Another slow day in the fast food biz?

If you knew anything about the church organizing a stake, there has to be sufficient numbers for it to go from a district to a stake.
    And those numbers must consist of sufficient active membership to be able organize and staff each ward as they decide how to best divide the stake into wards.

This is a huge step for the church in India and the potential there is incredible.
    Very exciting to see.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    June 1, 2012 5:33 p.m.

I live in a stake with only 2,000 members, and many of them "are not even active," as Red Corvette might like to point out (while busy demonstrating in his comment how little he understands), but we're still a vibrant stake - as the stake in India will be. The dynamics of the stake are dictated by the active members. An objective person, with a modicum of knowledge about the members in India, would recognize that it's not out of desperation that the Hyderabad Stake was formed. Red Corvette should read the story of the blind men of Hyderabad to be able to get the whole picture.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    June 1, 2012 5:33 p.m.

LVIS: Red Corvette is the brother in charge of church census records in Asia and surrounding areas. Didn't you know that?

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Red Corvette--

Wow. Did not know that. Just to help me out here, so I have some reputable source when I pass this info along, where did you get your info?

Or, wait--are you just funnin' with us? You just makin' this stuff up?