Family

Glenn Beck: Living large in Texas, and richer than ever

Comments

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2012 11:06 a.m.

The difference between Beck's TV and Al Gore's TV or MSNBC is that Beck is an economic success. We don't see many articles on Keith Olbermann or Lawrence Odonnell's prosperity.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    June 1, 2012 9:13 a.m.

airnaut- He gives it all away

The economy of God is one of abundance that He owns. It would be impossible to give it all away when his works are neverending.
    Government can only offer the abundance of opportunity.
    Government does not own the material abundance.
    Do Marxist philosophers worship Obama and the government(idolatry) as religious people would worship God ?

• airnaut Everett, 00
    May 31, 2012 10:11 a.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX
    Brother Chuck Schroeder,

Jesus was never rich? He owns the world. Guess I shouldn't have told you that.

5:16 p.m. May 30, 2012

=========================

...and he gives it ALL away.
    Talk about the ultimate Redistribution of Wealth! Guess I shouldn't have told you that.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 31, 2012 7:36 a.m.

If you don't like Beck or O'Reilly or Hannity you can use your channel-changer! Duh, no one is depriving anyone of agency or freedom to turn the TV OFF! You (or I for that matter) may not like Beck's style of delivering the message, they are entertaining after all, but go find something else to do with your time. Maybe you should develop some intellectual integrity, some initiative for a change. Like go door to door giving out Obama flyers saying "WE WANT FOUR MORE YEARS OF THE SAME STUFF". Style notwithstanding, Beck's message is BULLS-EYE most every time.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 31, 2012 4:57 a.m.

Glenn Beck will continue to flourish as long as Obama continues to spout erroneous Marxist philosophy and use executive orders and bloated government agencies to implement that philosophy.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 30, 2012 5:16 p.m.

Brother Chuck Schroeder,

Jesus was never rich? He owns the world. Guess I shouldn't have told you that.

• haggie Visalia, CA
    May 30, 2012 5:06 p.m.

Somebody wrote that that the likes of Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh are what is creating discord. Please provide the evidence. I can draw a conclusion that absent diverse opinions we would have unity. So it could be that we just have polarized our positions because of lame leadership in the White House, Congress, state and local government etc.

I might add, I am truly tired of hearing that liberals whine about the "right wing nuts" on the radio and television. It is selling. It is making money. It is resonating with a poriton of the population enough to draw advertisement revenue. Liberals want to crush this approach with legislation. Typical, if you can't win by the massess huddle up in a small group and create legislation. Make the messenger sound evil. POint the finger of scorn and hope it is enough to stop it.

Conservatives don't want the governments help or interference. Whatever happened to the "keep the government out of my womb" liberals. Now they want the government telling us what we can listen to. Sad!

• pangent617 Draper, UT
    May 30, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Just an observation, reading the comments to this point shows one i,portant point. People that have opinions tend to create followers and detractors. The followers defend and the detractors attack.

It seems to me that if you can generate the kind of emotion for or against, you have definitely become a person of influence. As to whether he is a charlatan or not, I have not seen any credible evidence to indicate he is ripping anyone off to this point, so, detractors try a different tact. I also have reservations as to what Mr. Beck predicts, some of his successes seem somewhat nebulous to me. If you are an apologist, you may want to not just jump on board without your own research. In fairness, I believe that Mr. Beck recommends this himself.

All things considered, based on the comments in the forums, on this story, this seems to indicate, Mr. Beck has earned his celebrity, fairly.

Love or hate him, what Mr Beck says matters.

• Steven11421 AUSTIN, TX
    May 30, 2012 11:04 a.m.

So many thoughts - here are a few...

* I'm happy to have Back in Texas. The more rich people that move here and invest, the more jobs we have here!
    * Beck and the right and no different than the nut jobs on the left. Both are somewhat out of touch with reality. Some a lot more than others.
    * Interesting how you can take almost every comment here and by switching a few words (right for left, R for D, etc) and it is the same argument the other side is making.
    * Why do we have to "bash" the other side? If you have a point - please back it up with facts - or just go away!
    * There is some truth everywhere (yes - even in Beck!)
    * Never put your trust in any man (left or right) - Figure out what is right for you from your God.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 30, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Final Word wrote...

"Not a day goes by without us reading of more govt waste discoverd yet Liberals think it is a great idea to scheme additional ways to get money for the govt to spend. "

I find chatter like this most amusing. When I graduated from college in the mid 80's, I wanted to go into the high speed world of corporate banking. I lasted about 2 years at all. I went to work in a major national bank underwriting receivables financing. Talk about wasting a dollar to save a penny, literally. For example, if you wanted to get a new pencil, you had to fill out a form that cost multiples what the pencil cost in order to get one. The entire firm was run this way. I happily moved on to high tech.

It is annoying to see claims that "liberals" want to feed a wasteful government. These claims ring hallow seeing how not a single "conservative" has done anything different. Not even Romney.

Big oraganizations have problems, whether it be a corporation, a bank, a church, and even governments. Lets press politicians regardless of party to work for a more effecient government.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    May 30, 2012 8:48 a.m.

I have never understood why so many otherwise normal people put so much weight in what these people say? What happened to people using a little bit of common sense instead of letting these 'blowhards' tell us what to think?

People are letting Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc tell them what to think and that is why our political scene is in such a mess. We let the news media and their shouting commentators tell us what we need to do instead of us using our own brains to figure out what is right.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    May 30, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Put the list on ONE PAGE!

• woolybruce Idaho Falls, ID
    May 30, 2012 7:12 a.m.

I miss Glen Beck being on Fox. Whenever I worried about Obama or the direction of the country I would listen to Beck. After 5 minutes of Beck and his nonsense I felt much better about Obama and the current situation of the country.

• Rand FLAGSTAFF, AZ
    May 30, 2012 6:28 a.m.

The cult of Beck. A man who can weep tenderly and breathe judgmental slanderous fire in the same self-written sermon. He seems either mentally unstable or incredibly astute and manipulative. Beck is popular because he tells people what they want to hear. We naturally gravitate toward someone who places blame for all the world's problems at the feet of someone other than ourselves, and Beck has capitalized on that tendency. That's a slippery slope you don't want to go down.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2012 5:48 a.m.

Glenn Beck richer than ever, huh? Apparently ethics and income are poorly correlated.

I'm amazed at the number of people here who seem to think that the commercial success of someone who peddles lies and fear is proof that he is somehow telling the truth. Even going so far as to suggest that Jesus himself was rich, but we just didn't know it! The Son of God who exhorted the rich man to sell all of his possessions and gave us the camel through the eye of a needle analogy when the rich man showed reluctance!

Give me a break. There are ethical rich people. Ethical poor people. Unethical rich, unethical poor. I have my opinion of where Mr. Beck is.

• liberate Sandy, UT
    May 30, 2012 12:38 a.m.

Doesn't it seem like Beck has basically become one of those mega church pastors that rake in the cash based on a fairly limited audience that is willing to buy whatever the pastor requires? People are justifying it because, hey, he's just an entertainer. But the problem is, and it's obvious when looking at some of these comments, many believe Beck is some type of prognosticator who knows what is right for all. With this kind of talk it's clear he's taken on a role greater than just being an entertainer and anyone who is contributing money to his interests should consider whether their money is truly being well-spent or rather is going to line the pockets of Glenn Beck. I'll think you'll find it's the latter.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:38 p.m.

A certifiable narcissistic nut!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 29, 2012 9:01 p.m.

Liberals are millionaires who complain about people being rich, and being greedy.

Go figure.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    May 29, 2012 8:53 p.m.

"..."When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005...".

Wise men speak because they have something to say.

Fools speak because they have to say something.

• bob j Bli Bli, Queensland
    May 29, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Whenever I see the surname of Beck, I wonder how far back it is that the name joins with the maiden name of my wife Alma Beck.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 29, 2012 7:49 p.m.

Moracle - but what he says hasn't been true. The US currency hasn't fallen apart. It hasn't devaluated to be worth nothing. Gold hasn't gone through the roof. We could go on for ever about things Beck has said that were incorrect for one reason or another.

Example,

""Why do we have automatic citizenship upon birth? We're the only country in the world that has it."

Now I don't know how Beck got this wrong, but it is wrong. Perhaps a new researcher, I don't know... but it is wrong and easily verifiable. There are plenty of documented examples. Don't take what Beck (nor Obama or Romney) says at face value You should always double and triple check claims, even if they are what you want to hear.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    May 29, 2012 7:22 p.m.

Anyone who hears Glenn Beck's message, rather than disclaim, would do well to ask: "Is it TRUE?"

Many disclaimed the doings of Hitler and the Nazis, to their own terribly regretful dismay and suffering.

If one has no evidence that Beck's warnings are wrong; to claim they are wrong would be mere supposition, and possibly mislead others to turn their back on real threats to freedom from tyranny.

What if it IS true?

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    May 29, 2012 7:20 p.m.

Really, the only thing left for Beck to do to squeeze any more money out of his remaining die-hard fans is to start his own church. He's halfway there anyway.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 29, 2012 7:14 p.m.

I am not a Beck fan nor an enemy. Once in a while if I was in the car I would listen to what he had to say. Since then I have not heard from him. But he had some interesting things to say and many were closer to home that we care to admit. He went on too much and was a bit too animated for me at times. All said he has his opinions as do all of we. Just read above. Bottom line is truth is not always black or white. If so then we would not debate as much and we would not argue over thinks such as politics. We need to look at what we think is right and best and vote accordingly. As for Glen he ain't no dummy. Making that kind of money means he is a lot smarter than most of us as far as business goes. Can't say I make that kind of money.

So good for him. You need to hear all sides and make a decision. Like it or not Glen has some very good points and observations. Just filter out the Hollywood in some of it.

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 6:29 p.m.

Good for him! More power to him (no pun intended)!

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    May 29, 2012 6:25 p.m.

Lds lib, it sounds like you hold it against a person when they earn lots of money legitimately. Russell M Nelson was a leading heart surgeon, which means he was also quite well off, are you going to hold that against him? I'm sur not. Liberals confuse me with their two faces, neither of which are pretty.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    May 29, 2012 5:33 p.m.

I hope Glenn uses lots of that money for incognito charity.
    He will become a more complete Christian.

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    May 29, 2012 5:26 p.m.

when you say the media do you mean the 3 other main network news outlets? if so they are all owned by huger corporations and not liberals only. they all play the proaganda ads the repulicans run as well as demacratic, and the oil, and coal propaganda ads to make them look good if they are controled by liberals why would they run these. clean coal is the funny one by the way have you ever touched coal. black hand is what you get carbon on your hand. the fox network calls the others these names so you dont trust anyone but them . rupert merdock is such kind man you should beleive him over stock controled companies.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2012 5:20 p.m.

@Moontan
    "The top 2% are already paying half the taxes."

Yeah but they also have almost half the wealth. After all, the level of economic inequality (i.e. how much wealth disparity there is between top and bottom) in this nation is ranked alongside the likes of Iran.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 29, 2012 5:19 p.m.

For all you critics of Glenn Beck, if you don’t like him or what he says, don’t listen to him! Problem solved! Or is it that you just don’t think he should be allowed to say what he says and want him shut down? The free market will decide his success! Obviously some of you are either very jealous or frightened!

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    May 29, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Priestcraft pays very well. (In this life!)

• sailhardy BOSTON, MA
    May 29, 2012 4:20 p.m.

I was told many things about Glenn Beck by “progressive friends.” Many turned out to be untrue. One of the things objectionable about Beck was that he was a racist. I happened to see a television program of his when he had some historian guess, including one or two black historians. The content of the program included some history. One item included the fact that African Americans were among the fallen Minuteman on the Lexington Green on April 19,1775. This was news to me and surprising since I had grown up in an adjacent community. I also learned that there were two African Americans in the boat that carried George Washington across the Delaware one Christmas Even night during the Revolution. I also learned that the person on the tiller of thet boat was a woman. I had never heard that, either. So, I listened to Beck. I didn’t agree with everything he said, but enough to know he made sense. I have listened to presidents often when they do not make sense. Do not believe the progressive screed against Beck. It is biased, and totally political.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    May 29, 2012 4:13 p.m.

II don't care where he moves just as long as it isn't at my backdoor

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 29, 2012 3:30 p.m.

BoomerJeff..... really? Like Gold at $4,000 an ounce? LIke the US dollar collapsing - remember the big lift he used to show just how far the dollar would fall? (if you forgot those - they are still on youtube - feel free to watch them again. Oh yes, and the $5 a gallon of gas we were all promised....

I would love to have you enumerate which of these predictions exactly have come true?

I look forward to a very comprehensive list....

On the other hand, lets not forget that the US dollar is worth more now, today, than it was 3 1/2 years ago... (if would be regardless of who is president right now). And the price of gold... at about 40% of what he predicted.

Glen should do what he does best, rally people on very emotional topics. Predicting the future... and facts... not his strength.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    May 29, 2012 2:45 p.m.

This is just a friendly warning so that you and your family can get prepared: Most everything Glenn Beck has predicted has come true. He bases his predictions on the words of individuals and on history and he is accurate every time! I woudn't continue to mock him, I'd listen if I were you.

• haggie Visalia, CA
    May 29, 2012 2:28 p.m.

It doesn't matter how rich he has become, his message resonates with 300,000 viewers on GBTV. His political position, his religion and his values are what he espouses. That means 300,000 viewers and probably millions of listeners and readers have paid him $80,000,000 in 2011. The argument isn't his wealth, its his following. I for one am conservative and find his approach to be over the top. Others love it. Others hate it. Thank you for the freedom of speech. All those who are worried about him, find your following, pay your political pastor, and stop griping.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    May 29, 2012 2:13 p.m.

All this 'tax the rich' talk is funny. The top 2% are already paying half the taxes. Last year 87 million people paid taxes, in a nation of 305 mill. 53% of Americans go to work each morning to earn cash to give to 47% who aren't working, many of whom are gaming the system.

Only two types of people whine for higher taxes: the guilty and the jealous. That is, the lefty mega-rich who feel so bad about it that they have to get the middle class to pay more, and those living on freebies. Why help bake the pie if you can just guilt somebody into giving you a slice?

Really now. Have you ever heard a middle class Mom or Dad struggling to raise a family say "I'm not paying enough taxes"?

As with everything, there are exceptions to those two categories of whiners. But not many.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    May 29, 2012 1:59 p.m.

Mountanman
    Hayden, ID

Glen Beck is simply a conservative rock star. He makes money as a performe,r telling people what they want to hear.
    His success does not prove that his message is right.
    There are many liberal people, who make much more money.
    What is Glen Becks wealth compared to Barbara Streisand, Steven Spielberg, and Oprah Winfrey?
    If we base value on how rich a person is, the value of What Glen Beck has to say is 1/100 of these other people.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 1:48 p.m.

@LDS Liberal.

Still wrong.

Doesn’t matter what the Mansion was. Point is, Joseph eventually lived a wealthier life than most. As did Brigham Young.

Doesn’t matter WHY King Benjamin was speaking. If he could have, he would have spoken every day to every person. And Beck doesn't charge his listeners! His advertisers pay him according to the size of his audience. He has spoken for fre, or at great cost to himself, on several occasions.

Beck encouraged people to buy gold ONLY because he fears that our dollar is going to collapse. No other reason.

It is not flattery if he believes it to be the truth! Beck believes his listeners are smarter than those who block their ears lest they learn something. He isn’t trying to win support. You're confusing him with Obama. Beck would say the same things if he had no listeners.

And “Final Word”s comment is still valid. If roads, police, fireman, and education come from property and sales taxes, the wealthy are STILL paying for the vast majority of it. (I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.)

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 29, 2012 1:39 p.m.

@Kami
    Bountiful, Utah

to: Mountanman
    Hayden, ID

Mountainman, I assume by your post that you are a conservative. The only thing that is very telling is that you measure "success" by how many dollars one has in the bank. Tell me .. is that a conservative notion?

12:56 p.m. May 29, 2012

=================

Agreed.

Playing this same sort of twisted logic --

The Columbian and Mexican Drug cartels are "successful"
    ol' King Henry VIII was "successful"
    Sadam Hussein was "Successful"
    Kim Jong Il was "Successful"
    Michael Milken was "Successful"
    Mohamar Quadafi was "Successful"
    Paris Hilton is "Successful"

Just because you are Rich and "Successsful" doesn't make you right.
    Conservatives equating Wealth with Success is dongerous.

Look what happened to the ancient Nephites, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and Mesopotamians.
    Civilizations collasped from setting their hearts upon the vain things of the world.

i.e., Babylon

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 29, 2012 1:13 p.m.

I'm hard core conservative.
    But, now you know why I can't tolerate this dude!
    He will say anything for money.
    Believe it people.
    Do what is best for you and yours, and stay away from the media

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    May 29, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Mountanman
    Hayden, ID

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 29, 2012 12:56 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

"Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are all treading on some very thin ice right now."

Just because you disagree with them does not make them wrong. It could be the other way around.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:39 p.m.

No difference than other scams like "Properity Gospels" and Network Marketing.

Same Schtick.

No wonder he's so popular here,
    W. Cleon Skousen on cable TV,
    since Utah is Scam-Capital of America.

I still find ever so ironic,
    How Glenn Beck repeats everything Skousen said --
    EXCEPT
    from his book;
    "The Naked Capitalist."

and there, he falls sinisterly silent.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    May 29, 2012 12:37 p.m.

To those who mistake Beck's background. He is from Washington! Worked in New York State, but tired of the high taxes(Hmmmm) and moved to Texas! I wonder why? Lower taxes and a chance to grow his business which continues to employee more and more Americans. Maybe Rapunzelthebrave and the other haters of Beck and job creators wish they would leave Texas to some other parts where taxes are higher? Like California! Haha! If you want Beck gone raise taxes. Here in California the last time they raised taxes 1/3 of all the millionaires left now California wants to raise taxes again. Sounds like a plan. Not one that will work but a plan. They raised taxes in Illionis and jobs and businesses flee. They cut taxes in Wisconsin and jobs show up! They cut taxes in ND and SD and the oil business showed up and jobs too! See a pattern here? Utah kept its taxes lower and recovers faster. Oklahoma did the same! Similarity? Texas, Utah, Oklahoma Republican run states like Wisconsin! The oil business grew in Ohio due in part to a Republican Governor! Taxes down in Indiana and Virginia unemployment down!Why? Republican Policy!

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:36 p.m.

it is unreal what people say. the rich do not paty 70% at this time look it up. some that are living off the stock market retirment rate pay 7%. fidelity had an article about it. warren buffet says the rich should pay more because they made more during the wars and the war and still are while the country gets the red budget. to be in the black we nedd to pay our bills. and this 47% that dont pay taxes are people thet dont work old, given up, make so little they would starve, tax write offs which are some of the rich corporate people. we still give oil companies money for nothing.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    May 29, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Re: LDS Liberal
    Farmington, UT

The Final Word
    Alpine

Talk about insanity...

"everyone" pays for the roads, police, fireman, and education.

That all comes from property and sales taxes, and not personal income tax.

Score another 1 for Bro.Chuck

Reply: Thank you very much. I guess HE got tongue tied because there were NO SOUND-BITES on GBTV for him to use. But this'll burn in their brain for 4 more years. Obama has taken the lead in three "battleground" states, Florida, Ohio and Virginia over the likely RINO Republican nominee Mitt Romney, another Mormon. Florida will deside who'll be the next President, not Utah, that'll be a front page story soon enough. All Glenn Beck will do is cry about it in his diet coke. Thank God there's someone out there with common sense, "OWS" and me, a fed-up long time Republican that lost everything because of my party and the Koch Brother's. Tax the 1% to death. WE ARE THE 99%.

• Canuk SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:26 p.m.

It's nice to see an article by Askar which doesn't denegrate Glenn. When he went to Israel there was a horrible article written by the same author. I wrote him and sent him some of the articles that actually told about his trip to Israel, but he never responded and neither did the DN.

Yes, I listen to him when I can and he always tells people (as said above) to do their own research and to pray about it. Now if you are too stupid and put all your money into one thing, then I guess that is your problem. If you had invested when it was $600 an ounce then I guess you'd be sitting pretty right now. No I have no gold. Wish I did.

I'm so happy to see Glenn do well because all of the left wing people were laughing at him and saying he was going down. Ha!
    BTW, he has a replica of the bust of Churchill in that oval office. He has it because he says "this is what the president should be saying and doesn't."
    You go Glenn!

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:15 p.m.

@ Cats 12:00 p.m. May 29, 2012

"I don't think Glenn Beck uses money as a measure of success."

& you know how?

Please don't tell me its because Brother Glenn said so. Bill Clinton on the campaign trail is more credible.

• Canuk SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:13 p.m.

Funny Glenn, Hannity and Rush could never be elected because of people like Bass. They have much more influence than one congressman among 100's or one senator amont 50.
    Your sentence at the end tells me everything I need to know!

What % of their income would you think the government should take? 72% like France? Just what is FAIR (since the pres loves that word)? Canada has dropped their corporate rate to 15%. Where do you think businesses will go?

I don't want to give the government one more red cent (I'm not the 1%, but I don't covet their money) until they stop giving it to obama's budlers involved in Solyndra and Light Squared etc., and stop spending the tax payers money.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    May 29, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Re: The Final Word
    Alpine, UT
    re: Bro Chuck

False. "everyone" is NOT paying for the roads, police, fireman, and education.

Reply: Talk about the definition of insanity. I can think on my own, I don't need a "puppet-master" pulling my strings, on Talk Radio. It's "ALL ABOUT" the number of retirees living in poverty after the GOP caused their crash of 2008, it's "NOT" about "Glenn Beck Living large in Texas, and richer than ever." True success can never be measured by one's own personal wealth and Glenn Beck is NOT running against Obama either. Remember, Jesus was never rich. He never was shunning the poor and the needy saying they get what they deserve. President Barack Obama has taken a slim lead in three "battleground" states Florida, Ohio and Virginia over likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are not those individuals choosing to give their wealth through charity to those less fortunate. Florida will deside who'll be the next President, not Utah, that'll be a front page story soon enough. All Glenn Beck will do is cry about it in his diet coke.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:10 p.m.

re: RAB 10:27 a.m. May 29, 2012

"@ LDS Liberal You are wrong. Joseph Smith lived in a mansion in Nauvoo."

Bragging about JS' House in Nauvoo proves what exactly?

re: worf 10:36 a.m. May 29, 2012

"* People of Germany could have saved alot of grief had there been a Glen Beck in their time."

This is the same Glenn Beck who as Lewis Black pointed out, "uses more swastikas than the History Channel"

• Emjay Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Most of the people who cry, "tax the rich," are those who are living off the public largesse in one form or another.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:00 p.m.

Dear LDS Liberal: Oh, Honestly. I don't think Glenn Beck uses money as a measure of success. He measures his happiness by his family, his faith and his belief in the Constitution. He is doing very well, but he employs a lot of people and creates economic growth within the free market he believes in.

and...BTW....The Prophet Lehi was extremely wealthy. So was President Brigham Young. There is no shame or condemnation in wealth. Again, it is what you do with it that counts.

And to those who say, "tax the rich,".....I'm wondering how much more they are expected to pay. The top 10% already pay 70% of the taxes while the bottom 47% pay NOTHING.

Our divinely inspired Constitution guarantees us the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It says nothing about entitlement to anyone else's livelihood or property. Entitlement is based on Marxism, not Americanism.

I don't always agree with Glenn, but I wish people who attack him would actually listen to him. They'd know the things they're saying are completely inaccurate.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:59 a.m.

RAB
    Bountiful

A.The "Mansion" house in Nauvoo was not a private residence, but a boarding house and hotel. Now, MikeLee's house in Alpine = Mansion.
    B.King Benjamin was speaking at a General Conference. Not a pay-to-play media outlet like GBTV or The Blaze. If what Beck says is the gospel truth, he'd say it for FREE. BTW - how much did King Benjamin charge his listeners?
    C.Money is not evil but the love of it is. In fact, it is the root of ALL evil. Glenn Beck selling gold shows the love of what else?...Gold.
    D.Telling your listeners how much smarter they are than anyone else just for listening -- is the very definition of flattery.

The Final Word
    Alpine

Talk about insanity...

"everyone" pays for the roads, police, fireman, and education.

That all comes from property and sales taxes, and not personal income tax.

Score another 1 for Bro.Chuck

worf
    Mcallen, TX

They had one, the Ultra-Right-Wing Conservative by the name of Joseph Goebbels.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:57 a.m.

"Tax the Rich"? The wealthy already pay almost 50% of all taxes in this once great nation. We have almost 50% of all households recieving some sort of welfare. I think Ernest needs to look at the cause and effect of "social justice". All it does is take from one segment and give it to another by force. Where is the "justice" in that?

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:46 a.m.

I am not giving Beck credit for single handedly increasing the price of gold. However, I personally know several people that listen to Glenn and fully buy in to his doom and gloom predictions. Paranoia is big business. Talk to just about any investment broker in Utah and they will know people that have turned their investments upside down becauase of their belief in Glenn Beck.

I am guessing that Beck's current disclosures with the gold advertisments has much to do with the scrutiny Beck has received over gold. Google glenn beck gold and you will find numerous articles about the gold scandal. Yes, some articles will be from the "crazies on the left" but consider the volume of smoke, there must be some fire.

• Pete1215 Lafayette, IN
    May 29, 2012 11:42 a.m.

That Glen Beck is doing so well is evidentiary support that we are doomed. And that there is gold in mining ignorance (and apparently there is a lot of ignorance to be mined).

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Final Word you are wrong. Beck and his buddies may pay Federal taxes at a lower rate than the rest of us, but they are NOT the ones keeping local firefighters, police and other public services going.

That is US. The common ordinary taxpayers. The services you mention are not paid for by Federal income taxes.

Your story is as garbled as one of Glen's.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 29, 2012 11:09 a.m.

And this is a front page story why?

Has the DesNews really gotten to the point that it is a society mag?

The man is doing well - good for him. Not front page news.

How about the Syria attacks? Or the number of retirees living in poverty? Or the Al-Qaida leader that was just killed in Afghanistan?

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    May 29, 2012 10:56 a.m.

M-man, you meant to refer to "paid-for speech", right? Because "free speech" only means you can blather almost anything without the threat of reprisal by the government.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 10:54 a.m.

I find it curious that the talking heads like Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh believe they know all the answers but they never run for office to actually do anything about it.
    The fact that they believe they know more than the people actually doing something but never actually try to change anything is very telling. They are nothing but narcissists.
    Tax the rich.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 29, 2012 10:51 a.m.

I used to listen to Beck alot - not so much anymore. Seems like his message is off in obscurity somewhat. He has rallies on restoring Israel, restoring love , etc... but I'm not sure what this has to do with getting Mitt Romney elected and removing Barack Obama from office which is and should be the highest priority for any conservative radio personality. At the end of November if Obama is still standing then nothing else really matters... we are all dead in the water economically. Beck needs to refocus and re-energize the Tea Party.

• Editorial Notes At Home In, UT
    May 29, 2012 10:41 a.m.

@Go Big Blue:
    "There are stories of people cashing out their entire retirement accounts to buy gold finding out later that while gold has doubled in value their investment is still under water because of the greatly inflated prices they paid."

Anytime someone loses their retirement money by bad decision making, it makes for a sad story.

I'm sure, since you say they exist, you have sources for these stories you site illustrating Beck's personal responsibility for other's lack of judgement in their personal "investment" choices.

Curious enough I have only ever heard Beck say that he does *not* buy gold as an "investment" - he buys it for insurance. Agree or disagree with his opinion, he tells his listeners straight out that that is his personal preference for his family.

Then comes the part where he says, "Gold may or may not be right for your family. Do your own homework."

Would you be willing to share your sources for these stories you claim?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 29, 2012 10:36 a.m.

Couple observations:

* Despite the envy of liberals, America is still a land of opportunity, and success is nothing to be ashamed of.

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    May 29, 2012 10:29 a.m.

re: Bro Chuck

False. "everyone" is NOT paying for the roads, police, fireman, and education.

People like Beck, Limbaugh, and Hannity are already paying the vast majority of taxes according to the IRS's own statistics.

You do realize that 47% of eligible "tax payers" pay net ZERO federal income tax right?

The problem is that we have far too many people that pay nothing at all so what vested interest do they have when the govt talks about raising taxes? They don't. Everyone should have to pay something (even if its small) so that they care what our corrupt govt implements.

Liberals of course specialize in class warfare and pitting different incomes against each other. They realize now they have almost half living off the other half and are busy trying to find ways to redistribute anything they can get their hands on.

Government is a proven failure at so many things and successful at very few.

Talk about the definition of insanity.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Beck exaggerates and he overstates his successful predictions. But he speaks truth fearlessly. Accusations that he only cares about the money are false and mean-spirited. Beck honestly strives to expose corruption and improve the world.

@ LDS Liberal

You are wrong. Joseph Smith lived in a mansion in Nauvoo. Jesus easily could have been have been rich, unless you know something about his life between childhood and his ministry that noone else knows.

The size of your audience or bank account are irrelevant. King Benjamin was rich and had a huge audience. Money is not evil. We will be judged not by what we have but by what we do with what we have. Do you have proof that Beck spends his money on extravagance and filth. If not, you are falsely accusing him.

Beck does not flatter anyone. He does not shun the poor. He wants people to help their neighbors instead of sitting around waiting for the government to do it for them. He does not say people are better than other people. He says people who behave one way do better than people who behave another way. You have done the same thing in your comments.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    May 29, 2012 9:39 a.m.

After he sips on his diet coke, quick, hand him a tissue, he's about to cry, because Beck ranked No. 23 with an estimated annual income of $80 million. What are the issues? First of all, it implies that the economic issues that conservatives want to cut are police, firemen, roads, and education. While there may be some who want to see the funding their evaluated, Secondly, government allows you to get wealthy, and society and government get to decide how much of the wealth you get to keep. At its most base level, her argument against the wealthy shows the battle going on in government between the philosophies of collectivism and individualism. And what about the claim that EVERYONE is paying for the roads, schools, etc.?. Glenn pointed out that if he was at the point where his family couldn’t eat, he would go to his church and look to them for help before the government. Why? Because those are individuals choosing to give their wealth through charity to those less fortunate.

In the mean-time, let's tax Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity to deayh.

And give it to the Elderly.

• Anti Government Alpine, UT
    May 29, 2012 9:35 a.m.

re: Go big blue

You have to be joking. Glenn Beck pushes world gold prices? That is crazier than you lefties claim he is! Good grief.

It is funny how the left bash him and attempt to dismiss him as a crazy yet a minute later he is influencing world gold prices. Ridiculous!

I've heard his gold pitch too "..gold may or may not be right for you and your investments but IF you are buying gold I recommend...."

Ya, real heavy pitch.

Its called advertising.

Sure Beck is full of hyperbole and entertainment mixed in with his rants. Just like with anyone who opens their mouth I will analyze and use my brain to determing the validity of what they are saying.

That said, he has been accurate far too many times and exposed the LEFT and their schemes all too often to be dismissed as the left would like you to do.

Of course we should all believe people like Al Gore who said he invented the internet....ya, he is real credible as he makes millions (including special govt loans and grants for his green companies) off his global warming hype.

Caveat Emptor.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    May 29, 2012 9:26 a.m.

@ Rapunzelthebrave

Beck has no connection to Utah (other than spiritual it seems). He has more roots in Texas than here.

@ LDS Liberal

Your lame attempt to compare Beck (and Hannity) to early-day neo-cons is mean-spirited at best. There are no flattering words to their followers-only straight-forward truth and calls to repentance. Except for the case of Mr. Limbaugh, there seems to be no flaunting of wealth or to put themselves on pedestals of self-righteousness.

Come on sir, shunning the poor and the needy? For examples of that, see your friends at MSNBC or CRNT.

Nevertheless, thanks for playing.

• Navajo Hogan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2012 9:17 a.m.

@LDS Liberal

Wow, you really put it to Mountainman!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 29, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Rapunzelthebrave
    when was he in Utah to take him back?
    i'll bet you have created more jobs in texas (small t) than he has. just because you don't like him apparently doesn't mean many other don't.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    May 29, 2012 9:14 a.m.

There's a message there that Glenn Beck is all about money and not about influence. He's got a pittance of the listeners, but he's making more money off them.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 29, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Yes, Willie, his stuff might be very interesting to some people, but how much of it (if any) is actually true?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 29, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Mountanman
    Hayden, ID
    Its very telling that conservative media voices like Glenn Beck are very successful while left wing media voices are losing audience and floundering financially! There is a message and a reason in that, isn’t there? Free speech isn’t just for liberals anymore!

8:28 a.m. May 29, 2012

===============

You know what else is telling?
    True success can never be measured by one's own personal wealth --

Joseph Smith was never rich,
    Mother Teresa was never rich,
    Jesus was never rich.

BTW - Sherem, Nehor, Zeezrom Korihor, all became very , VERY wealthy by
    Gaining a HUGE audience,
    Using flattering words to their listeners,
    telling the people how much better they were than others,
    Shunning the poor and the needy – saying they get what they deserve,
    and finally; focusing and proving their self-righteousness – how God has blessed them - by flaunting materialism.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 29, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Glenn Beck has used his influence to push gold investment into new highs. Yet the companies selling gold on his program have charged excessive prices for the gold coins they sold. There are stories of people cashing out their entire retirement accounts to buy gold finding out later that while gold has doubled in value their investment is still under water because of the greatly inflated prices they paid.

I serious doubt Glenn's not so altruistic investment advice.

• Rapunzelthebrave HELOTES, TX
    May 29, 2012 8:46 a.m.

That demagogue has invaded Texas? Please, please, please take him back, Utah!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 29, 2012 8:37 a.m.

Free speech may not just be for liberals anymore, but the success of glenn beck shows how disconnected from reality the far right is. Beck is loopy, hyperbolic, and tries to make points far beyond where reason ends.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID