Sports

Blue roundup: Jabari Parker tells ESPN.com he likes BYU coach Dave Rose

Comments

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    May 30, 2012 8:28 p.m.

This comment section is really classless. Duck and Sam's whole life revolves around making rude comments. Naval vet and Utah county Ute do the same thing. Make points and facts. Don't just slam each other. It's old already.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 30, 2012 7:32 p.m.

Y Grad

Excellent post!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 30, 2012 5:46 p.m.

MLH

And what do you have to look forward to?

Jimmer and Co were one Brandon Davies away from forcing you to reset your snob boundaries. "You'll never get closer than the final four." Whatever...

Oh, and I'd ask for a refund on the Evelyn Wood Reading for Comprehension course. Nobody said the junior is better than the NBA player. Although he might be. Will he be better in college than Jimmer was? Probably. Will he be better in the NBA than Jimmer presently is? Probably.

Will Jimmer get better than he currently is? Probably. Is Jimmer worried at all what snotty things some annonymous poster throws up on a story about another talented basketball player? Definitely not!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 30, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Tomahawk Red, you are reading into the comments something that is simply not there. Please don not fabricate something, which does not exist.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 30, 2012 12:13 p.m.

Y dad

I'm willing to admit that I think Jabari will end up better than Jimmer.

Yea, really makes the NBA player look good when he is compared to a high school kid.

sammyg

Jimmer owned the Utes, Jimmer was the NPOY, Jimmer made it to the NBA. You should have seen Andre Miller against the Y he more than owned them. Your tales just keep comming what a riot.

And to all you cougar fans Coach Rose has done a great job, but one high school kid is not going to take you to top 5 program and will not even get you into a Great 8 spot. You need more than 1 NBA player just look a Jimmers senior year. One maybe two and done, live with it that's all you have to look forward too.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2012 5:37 p.m.

I've been a Cougar fan longer than most people who post here have been alive, and I must say, I've been embarrassed for many a Cougar fan for 40+ years. This thread is no exception. Inane comments by many, rude comments by others...

I wish the best for Jabari. I hope he follows the example of David Robinson and serves then plays, in Jabari's case, a mission. I also think his family seems more grounded than most, his brother has served a mission, and so I think he is well positioned to make the right decision in the eyes of himself, his family, and his God.

• I4C4U Wellsville, UT
    May 29, 2012 5:21 p.m.

They need to change the name of this comments section to: BYU & Little Brother U Roundup. Of course with their basketball team I can see why they would want to follow BYU Sports.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2012 3:21 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I will readily admit that Jabari will likely be better than Jimmer. Probably pretty close in college, but much better in the NBA. As far as where he goes, of course I would like him to go to BYU, but I will cheer for him wherever he goes. As far as a mission goes, that is his personal choice. It sounds like he is an awesome kid and could be an awesome missionary if he goes, but it is between him and the Lord and no one else.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 29, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Tomahawked

What is it with reading comprehension on 'the hill' these days?

Five sentences in this very simple to read article pertaining to Jabari.

Please go beyond the title, calm the natural instinct to give a 'frantic and emotional' response, etc.

If there's anything blatantly obvious it is that BYU is one of three schools in consideration by Jabari. That is more than a 'prayer' compared to the miserable odds of him mentioning the Utes in a sentence.

Obviously U folks are the ones over-reacting to all of this.

If he comes, it will be great, if he doesn't big deal, BYU will still thrash the living daylights out of the Utes with its lineup of great kids, win a lot of games and maybe make another NCAA bid.

And the Utes will have those red chairs posing as fans.

Thanks for your growing interest in BYU sports. It is the relevant sports program in the state.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 29, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Duck.. You really got me there! Laughing out loud. You didn't answer my 2nd question though.

DEW

Well, he didn't do it with the greatest player in byU history. Coach Rose has taken the cougs as far as they can go. The sweet 16 is the ceiling for byU basketball anyway. Final 4 promise or not, he has done an excellent job.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 29, 2012 1:04 p.m.

@utahcountyute

I never said I never comment on recruits, I said I seldom do although once again I didn't make a comment about a recruit here now did I? I simply pointed out another peice of utah "fan" dimness, kinda like I'm doing right now with your last post.

LOL!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:14 p.m.

This aricle was about Jabari liking Dave Rose. And he likes Mike K and Stanford coach, that's all.

Again, please come to BYU! And I have heard that Dave Rose said that he will get BYU to the Final 4 when he was hird at that time!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 29, 2012 12:08 p.m.

SoonerUte

"Surprised to see so many Cougar fans agree that Jabari Parker is better than Jimmer Freddette."

Typical Ute making stuff up.

Two comments referencing NC = 'so many' (Ute math)

One comment with "IF" and the other with "jk" (just kidding)

... and absolutely nothing in the comments making a comparison to Jimmer, until you mentioned it and a reply later. (Ute comprehension)

As duckhunter so clearly labeled "Ute "fan" double speak"

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 29, 2012 10:53 a.m.

I'm willing to admit that I think Jabari will end up better than Jimmer.

That is pretty complementary to both of them, really.

If they played one on one today...

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 29, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Duck

First... I thought you didn't comment on recruits?

Second...Since when is someone's opinion "false"?

Jabari can stand on his own at Duke and does not need to be surrounded in Provo like many do. I do hope he goes on a mission but that will be an awefully difficult decision with millions staring him in the face.

Good luck to Jabari. May he make the best decision for he and his family.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 29, 2012 1:19 a.m.

Since when does "liking your coach" mean he's coming to BYU?

The reactions on this board sure seem to indicate a lot of you think that's what it means.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but BYU doesn't have a prayer of landing this kid.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2012 4:57 p.m.

"Yeah, like there are ZERO comments to support your premise."
    There are comments about how Jabari would take the Cougars to the National Championship game. Jimmer got them to the sweet 16, so simple math Jabari > Jimmer.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 28, 2012 12:54 p.m.

SoonerUte

Yeah, like there are ZERO comments to support your premise and why would anyone care?

Jimmer owned the Utes, Jimmer was the NPOY, Jimmer made it to the NBA.

It would appear that Jabari could do the same thing, at BYU, or where ever he goes.

The bigger question is why Jabari didn't mention the Utes coach in talking to ESPN? What's up with that?

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2012 10:09 a.m.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    May 28, 2012 9:07 a.m.

I disagree with Ainge on this one (and completely agree with Vai S.). Would agree if every young man weren't commanded to serve a mission. I would be willing to bet, unless he was told not to serve a mission by leaders (which I doubt and, if so, I would disagree with that as well), that Ainge regrets not having served. In the grand scheme of things, 2 years of dedicated service to others compared to playing a sport preparing for the big leagues dwarfs the latter. Just my opinion...

• localblue Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2012 1:21 a.m.

Striker
    Omaha, NE

Are you serious? Either you have never left the confines of your backyard in Provo (meaning you have never served a mission), or you yourself don't understand the importance of a mission and what a mission means.

I expect this young man to make his own decision just like everybody else does (at least those who successfully serve a mission), without everybody else pressuring him. It's comments like these specifically that will discourage him from coming to BYU.

I'm with Danny Ainge on this one. It's up to each individual and those who don't aren't going to ruin their lives and purpose on earth by not going. Let's try not to put more pressure on the kid than he already has.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 27, 2012 11:36 p.m.

Re: Striker

Really? So no one who has ever gone to another school has understood the importance of going on a mission?

Going to BYU sure helped Plaisted, Cummard, and Jimmer serve missions... oh wait.

• blue-twenty2 West Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Does Jabari guarantee BYU a NC? Not hardly. But he would definitely guarantee BYU a place in the NC game! :) jk

It's nice to see Nick in the top 50 as well! Go Cougs!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 27, 2012 9:43 a.m.

@utacountyute

Completely false. You just hope he doesn't go to BYU, nothing else he does matters in the slightest to you. Typical ute "fan" double speak.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2012 4:44 p.m.

If he helps a top 5 program win what they've already won, he's part of a dynasty, nothing more.

If he helped BYU win an NC, he IS the dynasty. Nothing less.

And he has TWO chances - one before his mission, one after.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 26, 2012 12:47 p.m.

sammy

I am a Jabari fan and I will follow his career. I hope he DOES go on a mission and does not play for byU. He would be much better served (as a missionary and profesionally)in a top 5 program and then into the NBA as a star. Just my opinion.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 26, 2012 8:30 a.m.

utahcountyute

Thanks for that shocking report and caring about Jabari's fanclub that you do not belong to.

Justin Bieber's is open to you.

'That's all. Nothing more.'

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 26, 2012 7:59 a.m.

@utahcountyute

And you know how it will all turn out how? Your wishfull thinking has nothing to do with reality.

LOL!

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    May 26, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Come to BYU!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 26, 2012 6:43 a.m.

Attending BYU would be the only place he'd really, truly understand the importance of a mission. No other school would have that influence BYU does. We all know that is more important than sports. Clearly the guy would be a sensational missionary. I'm just glad it's not off the table like it is for many other talented LDS athletes.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 25, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Sammy

Jabari is just a nice kid and Coach Rose is doing his due diligence. That's all. Nothing more.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 25, 2012 7:39 p.m.

Nothing like poking a stick in an ant hill. Here 'they' come!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    May 25, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Ssssssshhhhhhh.......Don't tell any ute fans. They need all the sleep they can get.