Blue roundup: Philadelphia Inquirer says BYU or Air Force could join Big East

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 29, 2012 11:53 a.m.

+1 to what Bluto said. I love how you're trying to take a shot at BYU's exposure when our RUGBY team was on ESPN almost as much as the U football team was last year.

Now that's just sad.

As for enjoying the 8:15 MDT start, you bet I will. I'll be at every one of those games cheering my team on, and I'll be watching my team play on ESPN for the away games.

What will U be watching? If last year is any indication, U may be enjoying the good ol' MWC Lite (Versus) channel a lot more than U care to.

Have fun with that.

Go Cougars!

• DRay Roy, UT
    May 28, 2012 11:25 a.m.

BYU is great for LDS sports enthusiasts, that's all it needs to be for me, as I enjoy seeing athletes who have character, values, that embrace all that is good. Are the athletes perfect? No, but they are moving in the right direction, and I am happy to support that. I like BYU as they are, Independent in football, WCC the rest, clubs competing with other top leagues. I trust those responsible to make the right decisions for the future.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2012 7:04 p.m.

10:15 on a Thursday or Friday on the East Coast is not late.
    Their local news doesn't even start until 11:00

The Pac 12 will have many games other than on Saturday's and late night starts are a tradition in Pac 10+ Country.

It's just amazing at what Ute fans will complain about. And for them to overwhelm the comment boards on BYU stories just shows how insecure they really are with BYU.

If they are such hot shots, then why would they even care?

They're nervous and living under that ever loomiong ESPN/BYU Shadow of Exposure.

BYU has it.....Utah does Not!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 26, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Cedar Hills, UT

"Don't really care because I will be at the game. You going to the Wazoo or USU game at LES? Better leave early and get an all night sitter. Or just wait unil 1am and catch it on byU tv. awesome."

You should care since your barometer for relevancy is tied to whether or not you think they are filler for ESPN. Utah isn't even filler for ESPN, they are filler for KJZZ. The fact that U didn't get that in the first place also says a lot.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 26, 2012 1:39 p.m.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 25, 2012 10:49 p.m.

Yes. ESPN3. Pretty good for a rugby game. Tell us all what network is carrying the Northern Colorado game.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 25, 2012 9:34 p.m.

Are you serious? ESPN 3? The honeymoon period is clearly over.

Enjoy all that "exposure" at 10:15 ET this year on Thurday and Friday nights... on the Mother Ship.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 25, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Naval vet

Talk about a revisionist historical review of the WAC and MWC. You are so funny. Do you help VP Biden with his talking points?

I wonder if Uncle Larry will be bidding on some of theMTN's equipment?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 25, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Congrats to BYU on the Big East "discussions"!!

Oh wait, or is that Big 12 "discussions". Regardless, good luck to Notre Dame of the West!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 25, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Yet apparently ESPN cares, since they showed it live on ESPN3 and later on ESPN2. It doesn't bother me one bit if U don't recognize it as a championship, or if it's not an officially recognized NCAA varsity sport.

UCLA and Cal (from your beloved PAC 12) both have club rugby teams, and I'm sure they care about them.

At least, they care about them about as much as U care about your skiing teams (congrats on all of those championships, BTW, I'm sure the PAC 12 is proud :). What channel were the Skiing Nationals on this year? I must've missed them.

Go Cougars!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 25, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Men's rugby is not a Varsity sport. It's a Club sport. The Pac-12 doesn't care. The Big 12 doesn't care. The BigTen doesn't care. The ACC doesn't care. The SEC doesn't care.

I don't even think the WAC cares. How miserable for you.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 25, 2012 3:15 p.m.

@utahcountyute "Am I missing somthing?"

Yes, two things. First, Mark It Down was stating BYU has won more NATIONAL championships this year (Men's Rugby) than Utah has won CONFERENCE championships this year (zero). He wasn't comparing the National Championships won by both schools.

Second, you're missing an 'e' in 'somthing'. Sorry, couldn't resist on that one :)

Go Cougars!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 25, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Marked it

"BYU won more NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS this year, than Utah won conference championships."

Please list. I show (10) NCs for byU total, EVER.

Football (84), Volleyball(99,01,04), Track (1970), Golf(81) and Women's CC (97,99,01,02). Am I missing somthing?

Utah has 22 NCAA "National Championships"

Basketball (47), Womens Gymnastics (81,82,83,84,85,86,90,92,94,95) Men's Skiing (81) and Women (78) Combined (83,84,86,87,88,93,96,97 and 03)

Another thing. You say Utah was "unranked" and yet...

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 25, 2012 2:51 p.m.

You forgot the most important stat here:

Number of BYU Articles:

Number of posts on BYU articles by Ute fans stomping their feet and trying to get their big brother Cougar fans to think they're relevant:
    Too many to count

And that's really the most telling stat, don't you think?

Go Cougars!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 25, 2012 2:25 p.m.

Talk about selective! You forgot a couple:

Head to head record:
    Utah leads 52-31-4
    Last 10 Years:
    Utah 7 wins (avg margin 21.4 pts)
    BYU 3 wins (avg margin 4 pts)

No. 1 Draft Picks:
    Utah 1

Idaho State College Championships
    BYU 1
    Utah 0

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    May 25, 2012 2:13 p.m.

#1 SLC Sports Fan

"Why should any conference want to take a program that has been in obvious decline?"

In fact, Utah's men never even came close to sniffing a conference championship in any sport. If you check the overall conference standings, you'll find that Utah's men finished DEAD LAST overall, and close to last in almost every single conference sport in which Utah's men supposedly "competed".

Top 25 in football
    Top 50 in basketball

unranked in football
    BOTTOM 50 in basketball

It's obvious that the PAC just needed a warm body; the Utes weren't picked for anything they actually accomplished on the field/court.

For a school that is not only declining, but never accomplished anything of note to begin with, see mirror.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    May 25, 2012 1:39 p.m.

It's funny how selective you are with your facts.

BYU has SIX players who are members of the National College Football Hall of Fame

Utah has ZERO

Heisman Trophies
    BYU 1
    Utah 0

Head-to-Head during the Bronco/Kyle era
    BYU 3
    Utah 4

Congratulations on being BYU's little brother; it's nice that your big brother could provide U with the ONLY highlight of your first year in the PAC.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 25, 2012 12:31 p.m.

"utah does not have any football players, or coaches, in the NCAA hall of fame."

Wrong AGAIN. Utah Coach Ike Armstrong was inducted into the CFHoF 1957, FORTY TWO years before the y's first inductee Jim MacMahon--the poster boy for byu hypocrisy.

"BYU fans know their program is the premiere program in the state"

Bluesmack and Bluto:
    Losing 7 of 10 to the Utes must be really hard to spin.

Double LOL!!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 25, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Funny, I believe the U fan from the county down south and the elder seabee came on assuming they were rebutting; however, it just seems like complete validation. Again, I laugh at how U fans are so up in arms about a rumor that they must come here and pontificate. Bring something new. It's the same old tired response.

I know it's grammar smack, but seriously..."whaling and knashing." Drop the h and mix in another i then sub out the k with a g and you're about there. Good times! Right?

The only time I really read Y fans bringing up 1984 is in response to the denigration of a NC by a disgruntled rival attempting to make some point about something they think they somehow have to justify. (See previous poster's attempt to do the same.)

Enjoy the offseason and best of luck Utes in your second season in the PAC 12.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Naval Vet

"When the Cougars left the MWC, they circled back to the WAC....and now the WAC is dead."

When the Cougars left the MWC, they tried to form a partnership with the WAC in the olympic sports. Except for a pre-emptive raid by Thompson of Nevada and Fresno State, the WAC would have flourished with BYU and the MWC would have died. As it is, the MWC, without BYU, has NO television package and the MTN will be dead by next week.

On the other hand, BYU has an exclusive 8-year contract with ESPN, plus it's own television network already available in 60-MILLION homes nationwide, far exceeding Thompson's wildest dreams for the MTN.

The PAC 12 invited Utah as nothing more than a filler to have the 12 teams necessary to have a conference championship game.

If being a perennial bottom feeder in a big boy conference helps you sleep at night...

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 25, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Brent T. Aurora CO:

"Notre Dame, Boise State, Air Force and BYU to the Big XII (soon to be Big XVI)...This is the future of college football among an elite 64 schools -- PAC 16, Big XVI, B16 and SEC -- that will include Notre Dame and BYU..."

Haha! Clearly, you're not satisfied with your current Indy-WACey station. But I have to laugh at your frantic and emotional "crystal-balling" of events that "will" happen. For starters, of the 4 teams that "will" join the "Big XII (soon to be Big XVI)", only ONE is ACTUALLY in the discussion. The Big 12 wants Notre Dame. So does the Big East, the B1G, and the ACC. The other 3 are not in the discussion. Additionally, the Big 12 is ALSO taking a hard look at Florida St, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, and Cincinnati. If all 6 teams join, the "Big XVI" still would not include the cougars, broncos, or falcons.

And of course, the whole idea of superconferences is still "theoretical"; not a "foregone conclusion" or "trend".

Besides...you're mid-majors forever, remember? No relevant conferences want you. Get used to it.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 25, 2012 11:10 a.m.

"BYU was the life boat, and bread winner for both the WAC, and MWC."

I'm not sure how one could honestly believe that to be true. In 1999, the Indy-WACers left the WAC to team up with 7 other charter members of the MWC. And the WAC survived. In 2011, the Indy-WACers left the MWC in a jealous, frantic and emotional knee-jerk fit because the Pac-10 loved the 2-time BCS bowl winning Utes, but not the never-sniffed a BCS bowl/postseason losing cougs. And the MWC survived.

The interesting thing is what happened to the WAC. When the cougars left the MWC, they circled back to the WAC....and now the WAC is dead. So while the WAC could survive the cougars' departure, they couldn't do so likewise with their renewed association.

"Life boat"? Doesn't look that way.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    May 25, 2012 10:31 a.m.

"The conference is expected to grow to 14 teams in 2015. That's when Navy joins for football only. Brigham Young or Air Force is expected to join Navy, according to multiple sources at the spring meetings."

Gotta laugh at our BYU-obsessed little brothers on the hill who pretend to know so much, yet are so completely clueless.

Not a word in the article said that Holmoe, Bronco, or any other BYU officials were even interested in joining the Big East.

Except for the short time-frame for cobbling a schedule together in the first couple of years of Independence, BYU is doing just fine - Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boise State, and a couple of PAC 12 schools on the schedule for Independence year 2, a schedule that never would have been possible if BYU had stayed in the MWC.

BYU will have greater exposure and revenue this year, than the Cougars ever would have had in the MWC or Big East.

And, with a playoff starting in 2014, there's no longer any compelling reason to be a member of a "power conference" to have a shot at playing for a national championship.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 25, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Yeah, I recall a time when there were some "cages rattled" a couple years ago when the Utes were in discussions about joining a BCS conference. Actually I would just call it "whaling and knashing of teeth". Good times!

Nah, Utes just can't believe that the cougies have declined so much that they are considering the Big Least.

Funny thing is (regarding your little rant), the byU faithful have been jumping up and down for years. "Look at us, we won the championship in 1984, seriously, we did! We have a trophy to prove it, we were voted the champions. (We beat a 6-5 Michigan team and voted champions a month after the game because there was no one else) but we won! I promise!

The Big Least would be a perfect fit.

• Proud Ute ,
    May 25, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Most neighborhoods had one, the kid with the obnoxious mother who nobody wanted to play with and they could never figure out for themselves why.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    May 24, 2012 11:30 p.m.

Don't do it! Notre Dame, Boise State, Air Force and BYU to the Big XII (soon to be Big XVI). All sports. Going to be awesome. Big East will remain a great BB league; but the future (which ND knows) is four conference alignment in football relevancy. And the PAC 12 will go to 16 teams as well. This is the future of college football among an elite 64 schools -- PAC 16, Big XVI, B16 and SEC -- that will include Notre Dame and BYU (brands with a national and international following). And Utah, too.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 24, 2012 11:22 p.m.

Most of your statements are not true.

Most BYU fas would trade places with Utah.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 24, 2012 10:13 p.m.

Amazing how a blurb from the Philadelphia Inquirer rattles the cages of Y-haters. It is laughable to read the multiple, consecutive inane comments spouted by U fans who can't seem to leave that "indy, mid-majory, irrelevant, declining school" in their rear-view mirror.

I believe the BYU brain trust will ultimately do what they feel is best. No amount of hand wringing on the part of fans will do much to change that. Money, TV, and corruption in the bowl landscape is still changing the face of college football. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the coming months/years.

It appears that no matter what happens, the fans in the little red schoolhouse on the hill will still be stamping their feet and waving their arms shouting..."Look at me! I'm a Fiesta Bowl Champ! Look at me! Remember the Sugar Bowl?! Look at me!....C'mon...Look at me! I know I hated this clique until I joined it, but, now that I'm here, look at me!...Tell me I'm good!...Look at me!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 24, 2012 7:41 p.m.

@co ute

Talk about "distorting the truth".

utah does not have any football players, or coaches, in the NCAA hall of fame. I see you refer to alumni to try and "distort" the subject.

BYU does have just as many top 25 finishes in the last 7 years a utah does in its history.

BYU got more national exposure last year than utah got in the last 10 years. BYU played 11 of 13 games on national tv. utah has played that same about that same amount in that time. So I suppose "more" is a stetch but 'about the same' is pretty accurate.

May 24, 2012 7:29 p.m.

@Bluto - I am not making the statement that BYU is on the decline but I am making a statement that you post is factually incorrect with numerous examples that are wrong.
    -BYU does not have as many top 25 finishes in the past 7 years as Utah has in their history (you might recall that there are 2 acknowledged polls)
    -BYU does not have more exposure in one year than Utah has in 10 years (you just plain made this one up)
    -Utah does have Alumni in the college hall of fame
    Now for some additional comments that don't make sense
    -The number of times on ESPN means nothing, USC won't be on ESPN as much as the Y this year and yet has a better team and a better football history
    -You reference on ranking of colleges, probably US News as if were undisputed gospel. Go look at some other ranking like Forbes that don't have the same view.
    I have no problem with you defending your school but do have an issue when you distort the truth.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 24, 2012 6:08 p.m.

During the NBA playoffs a lot of the games start after 8. You don't hear people complaining about that. I remember every other year staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning to watch the BYU-Hawaii game...so what? I would rather watch my team on ESPN at 8:30 than watch them at 7 on KJZZ.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    May 24, 2012 3:07 p.m.

@Mesa Coug: Dude, same team. I will watch the game even if it is at a worse time. But Thursday night at 8:30 pm MST is unequivocally a worse time than Saturday afternoon.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 24, 2012 3:06 p.m.

BYU was the life boat, and bread winner for both the WAC, and MWC. There were no appreciation, but venom from the other teams, and their fans. Why bother.

Stay independent.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2012 2:29 p.m.

I love how some anti-BYU fans not only show how much time they spend on BYU articles--by virtue of the number of posts with their monikers on them--but then also go so far as to admit it as well. Here I am feeling a tad guilty about taking the time out of my day to read an article about my OWN school. I would advise these others to get a life, but that sounds slightly mean. I actually feel sorry for people like these. To truly not have *anything* more important to do is really a very, very sad state of life indeed.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 2:18 p.m.

@ Bluesmack,

Yes sir, a BS in econ at Utah and a MBA in econ from UH.

BYU never could get into the PAC sir. That is for real schools, not a private undergrad institutions like BYU.

• Bluesmack south jordan, UT
    May 24, 2012 1:59 p.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum

Are you really an Alum of both Schools? Talk about arguing with someone with a 'BLANK STARE'. I don't know who you're trying to convince more. BYU fans or yourself. Seems even with that PAC-10 label, the inferiority complex still remains.

For the life of me, if BYU had gotten the invite to the PAC-10 you would never find their fans slumming it in the independent world of BYU. says a lot!

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 24, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Sorry Levin. You can't please everyone. Take a nap and then watch the game.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 1:04 p.m.

BYU cannot play basketball or football. What, a token "sweet 16" every 30 years in the NCAA tourney is acceptable? BYU hasn't sniffed any BCS consideration at any point. 1984 was a crucial year. That is why the BCS came into this world. The outrage that occurred when BYU was ridiculously awarded a NC will never be forgotten. That was a shame. Will they ever do anything again? NO NO NO! They have mediocre talent, different era, poor coaching and academic opportunities. I'm ecstatic! Gooooooo Utes!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 24, 2012 12:46 p.m.

#1 SLC Sports Fan
    Salt Lake City, UT

Good points but you seem to forget that the PAC 10 took two programs that have been in obvious decline for a number of years in Utah basketball and Colorado football. And you suggest LDS student-athletes should be sent to "real" universities with "real" athletic programs. Could you suggest a few such schools since none exist in Utah other than BYU?

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    May 24, 2012 12:28 p.m.

@Mesa Coug, one solution would be to hold the game on a day when a lot of people in both East and West don't work. Such as Saturday.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    May 24, 2012 12:26 p.m.

With Rutgers and now Temple in the conference, I like BYU-to-the-Big-East a little better than when it came up last year. BYU would now probably make it out to my neck of the woods every year on average.

But Big12 or Pac12 are still truly the best options, if it is at all possible.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 12:04 p.m.

@ Cougar1,

You are welcome sir. We need some "reality" on the DNews boards from time to time. I appreciate your support!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 24, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum,
    Thank you for validating the BYU athletic program.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 11:04 a.m.

I'm SO SO SO enjoying this! BYU has been too mean for far too long! It is that simple!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 10:27 a.m.

What is D2 quality Riley Nelson and the fragile BYU crew gonna do at RES vs a loaded Utah team on 9-15-12? ...........probably sell Girl Scout cookies!? Being the last game that Utah will schedule BYU for, for quite a while..........another monstrous beat-down will occur AGAIN! Gooooooo Utes!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 10:02 a.m.

@ Mesa Coug,

I vehemently agree with you!!!!! Pullman and Provo are small markets. Of course the game will start late.......cool????? I'll be asleep, so will most everyone else on a Thursday. I have a job! BYU is "filler" material at best. However, in week 5 of the season, it is highly probable that USC and Utah will both be 4-0, USC ranked #1, Utah possibly ranked #10-18. That game will be PRIME TIME on that Thursday without question. The entire nation will wanna see it.........there are millions and millions of PAC 12 fans alone that will watch that game, but other football fans will watch it as well for sure. I never prognosticate, but it is highly likely to happen. I worry about Utah State, the 2nd best football team in Utah, not BYU. Utah will CRUSH BYU again......our cupcake games along with UNC.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 9:38 a.m.

Honestly over-zealous BYU fans, what "REAL" football fan will be watching BYU @ NMSU during "rivalry week" on BYUtv? I love great football...........SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12............that is what EVERYONE will be watching....... those contests! The BYU fans can "chest-bump" themselves all they want, they always have........it is of NO consequence whatsoever.

I've lived in the deep south(Fl, Va, Nc, Tx) for over 15 years.............if you "NEED" to view BYUtv...........you MUST buy the premium cable/satellite services to do so. 65 million homes have access to BYUtv in the USA ......... Bwahahahaahahahahaha!

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 24, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Hellooo. U-H is anyone home? The majority of fans that will want to watch the BYU-Washington game live in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. What are you going to do start it at 7:00 PM EDT making it so that most of the fans that want to watch the game are still at work and miss half the game? Please, think things out before you post.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Notre Dame will remain with the Big East for olympic sports ONLY. They will remain independent in football for a looooooong time! They are the most popular sports team in college sports, have the ONLY exclusive network tv contract in the country, a GREAT-killer schedule, can schedule ANY team they choose to, and do. ND is one of a kind!

BYU is in serious trouble. They have made too many enemies, not popular nationwide. ESPN is scheduling them as "filler" only. Their home opener against Wazzu is at 10:30pm EST on a Thursday on ESPN. Half of the country will be asleep before the kickoff occurs. The rest of the airing times, as it stands today, are NOT prime-time featured broadcasts. BYU fans can boast all they want......nobody is listening.......trust me

• Bluesmack south jordan, UT
    May 24, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Never fails to amaze me how these Ute fans get on here, a BYU article and announce their teams so-called superiority. Even with their PAC-10 membership in hand, they still seem to want to convince BYU fans that they belong. That's the problem with second rate programs and their fans.

BYU fans know their program is the premiere program in the state and one of the top 5 programs in the west, no doubts! But because of some bigotry and standards that they stand bye, they will have to take a harder road towards a BCS conference. That's fine! At least they don't get handed anything that they didn't earn or deserve, and their fans spend every waking moment of their lives trying to convince everyone that their reality is a....LIE!!

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    May 24, 2012 8:36 a.m.

To all the Ute fans piping in, you sound like Obama, spouting off all the time with no facts and having a "history" of like, one decade. And while you may be looking forward to that USC game, USC is looking forward to about 10 games before even thinking about Utah. To those Cougar fans, there has been a change in the landscape with the SEC/Big XII bowl tie-in and Pac 12 and B1G bowl arrangements. The reason to consider the Big East (and perhaps the only reason) is if ND is considering whether to join in football. and before any of you say "no way", know that I have zero idea if ND is even considering that. But ND and BYU would make the Big East a heck of a lot better league than it is now.

Lastly, lets not blame Holmoe for the independence decision. I'm pretty sure that came from Samuelsen and/or the folks in SLC. Holmoe was the mouthpiece. Holmoe has what I think is a miserable job - when things are great, the school pres is always at the press conference, when things go bad, Holmoe is on his own.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2012 7:59 a.m.

BYU blew it with the Big East, the Big 12 has NEVER given BYU the time of day and the "knee-jerk" independence experiment has turned into a complete disaster. I have read thousands of posts by ardent BYU fans from all over the US on many sports boards........the entertainment value isn't there at all. There is no conference championship to play for, Utah will dump them, as we look forward to the USC game as a priority this year, not cupcake BYU and a terrible 3rd tier bowl game in December? Look at BYU's "November" football schedule AGAIN this year for example. It is atrocious, at best........a bye, Idaho at home, SJSU and NMSU on the road for ZIP??????? Honestly, what sports fan would wanna endure that atrocity? BYU will curtail their football program within the next 3-5 years. "Rick's College" south is inevitable.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 24, 2012 7:35 a.m.

@#1 SLC Sports Fan

Still delusional?
    BYU is in decline?
    As you so "Wishfully" exclaim.
    Hold on to your dream, in fact, hold your breath until it comes true.

BYU has been a Top 25 team 18 times and 5 of the last 7 years.
    BYU has as many Top 25 finishes in the last 7 years as Utah has had in their entire history.
    BYU puts 64k fans in their stadium every week.
    BYU had 11 games on ESPN last year.
    BYU generates millions with their Own Brand, and not by riding Others Coat-Tails.
    BYU has more "Exposure" in one year than Utah will have in the next 10.
    BYU just had their 7th Alum inducted into the College Hall of Fame. (Utah has none)
    BYU has 400k living Alumni with 55k Students on 3 Campuses every year.
    (Utah is a nice Commuter College without the College Town atmoshphere)
    BYU ranks #71 Academically among all the Nations Universities.
    (Utah ranks #124th, 10th in the Pac).

Ask Dave Brown, Executive Vice President of ESPN, if BYU is in decline, and then ask him how many times Utah will be on his Network?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    May 24, 2012 5:55 a.m.

Joining the Big East now would be an act of desperation and bad planning. While BYU is great at keeping its fans in the dark and allowing them to make up reasons why good things are not happening re: conference realignment, I trust that TH and company have the foresight to wait this one out. Joining the BE should be our last resort, if ND joins a conference and there is no place for an independent anymore.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 23, 2012 11:16 p.m.

No actually it would not. Both programs worth a what (Pitt and WV) are now gone. It doesn't help BYU any to go there from a scheduling standpoint.

Re: hedgehog

Is there any joy in your life outside of sports?

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    May 23, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Big East would be improvement over current scheduling.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 23, 2012 10:20 p.m.

The only way to really fix things is to have the NCAA step in. They should create 4 geographic conferences with 16 teams each. There could be a conference championship game and the four champions make it to the playoffs. Then they could implement B, C, D divisions in each conference and implement relegation so that the two worst teams in a division move down and the two best move up. It's a thing of beauty and works great for soccer all over the world but it would require that the "haves" give up some of their power so I know it will never happen.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    May 23, 2012 10:15 p.m.

Nooooooo, big mistake. Stay independent. The Big Least offers nothing to BYU, and the cougars will live to regret joining a league 3000 miles away. Why?

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 23, 2012 8:51 p.m.

I love how people get overexcited about news that isn't even certain. I could write an article and say, "according to many sources, BYU is joining the Big X" and have no sources to back it up. That's the beauty of the media. You can write what you want and get tons of people to believe you with no facts at all.

Simmer down until there are definites people.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    May 23, 2012 7:12 p.m.

BYU will not go to the big east unless they get EVERYTHING. Independence and the WCC is a great set up.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 23, 2012 6:45 p.m.

BYU to the Big East? BYU turned them down once. They will not ask again. Air Force already stated that they were not interested. Nothing has happened to change the landscape, it has become more tolerable for BYU to remain independent. This story is another Big East plea for relevancy.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 23, 2012 6:38 p.m.

"Bring in an Air Force and another Western team (Colorado St., Utep/Fresno St.) and re-brand the league "Big Country""

Which one is not like the others

Big Country......lol

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2012 6:37 p.m.

Why should any conference want to take a program that has been in obvious decline? BYU needs to be realistic and realize their Athletic Department isn't the great missionary tool for the LDS Church. This is BETTER DONE by sending LDS student athletes to "real" universities with "real" athletic programs. Even as a university BYU is too big and they really should seek to halve their enrollment and not be the catchment of LDS academia, something that doesn't mix with a religious school period. Let these kids go and bolster the ranks at a real future AAU affiliated school like Utah or the second flagship school of the state Utah State. If BYU must continue athletics in whatever form they are best served by staying in the WCC and becoming smaller like those faith based schools, and dropping a football program that only encourages players to seek to play in the play on Sunday NFL, something that should NEVER be in the mission of BYU or any LDS sponsored school for that matter.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 23, 2012 6:18 p.m.

If the Big East is willing to think outside the box and make concessions to BYU, they may be able to land BYU or perhaps even a Notre Dame.

They cannot attract the Big time schools they need and follow the standard model.

BYU will not take a pay cut, so unless a Big East deal is in the 15-20 million range (per team), BYU will continue to hold out for Independence or the Big-12.

If BYU can maintain 3rd Tier rights (which the new ACC contract does not allow), same day re-broadcast rights and some level of control of home games, they'll go tomorrow.

Bring in an Air Force and another Western team (Colorado St., Utep/Fresno St.) and re-brand the league "Big Country" or Continental Conference" and things could work out.

Four 16 team leagues will never happen.
    Because the Pac doesn't have 4 more teams to add.

Therefore, it is in the best interest of College Football to have at least 6 Top Level Conferences.

There are at least 100 worthy teams in D-1.
    The rest should be relegated back to D-1AA.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 23, 2012 5:21 p.m.

It seems frantic, desperate emotions are bubbling to the surface...so very delicious.

• Bluesmack south jordan, UT
    May 23, 2012 4:28 p.m.

BYU to the Big East? That will definitely prove that Tom Holmoe has no idea where to take BYU! He should definitely be fired if this happens. What a definite embarrassment! Can BYU get someone with some kind of pull in the collegiate Sports world?...That this program is not in one of the BCS conferences and some red coat tail hanging community college is, is totally unacceptable!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 23, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Don't do it BYU. Stay independent. While there may be some good things that would occur independence offers better things.