Sports

BYU football: BYU lands Lone Peak commit Talon Shumway

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 20, 2012 10:16 a.m.

54-10,

17-14 to end a losing streak.

May 19, 2012 9:12 a.m.

@54-10

So which one of your persona's will be coming? 54-10? kosta fesenko? duckhunted? Or will it be one of the other 20 or so?

• Proud Ute ,
    May 19, 2012 7:08 a.m.

@ sammyg

Duckhunter 1
    Mob 0

sammy, either you're extremely loyal or you've forgotten how he threw you under the bus last Septemeber.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

Looking forward to it.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 18, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Utah grew and developed because of BYU, and it'll be great seeing three competitive teams from the state.

May 18, 2012 4:00 p.m.

@54-10

Schedule not out yet of course, it is only May. Games will start at the end of August.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 18, 2012 12:30 p.m.

@ Kralon

However, Boise has a way of maximizing ability and talent once they arrive on campus.

Lets compare Doug Martin & Jakes Heaps.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2012 10:50 a.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

Where and when are the games, I'll be there.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 18, 2012 7:42 a.m.

Duckhunter 1
    Mob 0

There's something very special about a kid that is multi sports talented and can swat balls from a 40" vantage point.

And 'we' got him.

May 17, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@naval vet

"But there's a reason why starting QBs generally make more money in the NFL than starting WRs."

But Chase won't even be the starting qb at utah let alone in the nfl. Even utah "fans" are admitting that finally. There is a reason why exactly zero other schools recruited him as a qb and why he was completely unranked as a qb recruit. But if you want to talk about him possibly being a star on defense, well I am in agreement, I think he will be. But there is a reason why starting qb's in the nfl generally make more money than starting lb's.

May 17, 2012 2:47 p.m.

@naval vet

I don't care what I "sound like to" you. You actually don't "know" anything about either of these kids. If it is of no consequence that Talon has D1 basketball offers then why are you on an article about Talon talking about it? Of course it matters if he has D1 basketball offers because it is simply more evidence of the quality of athlete that he is. He has D1 offers in MULTIPLE sports. That sure trumps the year you got cut from the freshman team so you served as equipment manager.

But I'll tell you what naval vet, since you seem to be able to track all things utah all the way from PA, why don't you come on out this fall and attend a couple of my teams football games? I'm sure you'll be here since you claim to travel to every utah game everywhere even the armpit known as el paso. Come on out, we'll get together. I'll introduce you to the people around here you don't think I know since they are all going to be at the games.

Put up or shut up.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 17, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"What I can tell you is Talon's overall athletic ability is superior. Why is that such a big deal for you utah fans to fathom?"

Because there just aren't ANY reports out there from recruiting services that validates that. Rivals, Scout, ESPN....all rate Hansen as the superior overall football player. The REAL question is, with all that has been published on Rivals, Scout, and ESPN, how could anyone suggest OTHERWISE?

It is of no consequence that Shumway is a D-1 calibur basketball player unless he's playing basketball. It is of no consequence if a WR runs faster, or jumps higher, than a QB (or LB). They usually do. But there's a reason why starting QBs generally make more money in the NFL than starting WRs.

You sure don't SOUND like a coach to me.

• ywatch Highland, UT
    May 17, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Comparing Talon to Chase is ridiculous and unfair. Chase has attended many out of state camps and combines where a player is evaluated and ranked nationally. Talon has not. Chase played one position, QB. Talon plays WR,TE and RB every game. (and occasionally QB) That alone diluted his stats. Then add missed games due to injury. Every year the top players in Utah are invited to participate in the Badger Elite 7on7 held in Vegas.(best in the west) Talon and Chase were both invited their Soph. and Jr. year. Talon was recognized both years in the top 10, Chase was not. It's asinine to assume that the U didn't want Shumway. D-1 schools don't waste their scholies on players they don't want. Talon and Chase are good friends and have always celebrated each others accomplishments. And to those of you who claim to know the Shumway family so well. Talon has made it known and very public that he does not want to be associated with his father. He must have some pretty good reasons that you're not privy to. Neither boy made a bad choice just an individual one.

May 17, 2012 7:41 a.m.

@fender

Talon was injured for a large portion of his jr year. You keep ignoring that fact. He also committed to BYU so that also says something about your opinion. Since I know the kids in question, and have for many, many years. Coached them, coached against them, watched them, etc. I have a pretty good idea as to each of their abilities.

I made a pretty simple statement, that Talon is a better athlete overall. For some reason this offends utah "fans" like yourself to the core. I'm not sure why other than the ingrained utah "fan" inferiority complex has probably kicked in and you guys just can't handle the thought of a kid going to BYU being capable of jumping higher than the kid that went to utah. But unfortunately for you it is a fact. Talon is faster, quicker, and jumps higher. He simply does. It isn't a debate, it is a fact. What part of Talon having D1 offers in multiple sports, and Chase having them in just 1 sport, is hard for you to grasp?

Talon is a very special athlete, the ensuing years will prove it.

• fender Washington, UT
    May 16, 2012 11:16 p.m.

duckhunter

This is about demonstrated football talent. You raised the athletic issue, and it's irrelevant. At this point Shumway has done nothing to demonstrate he's a bigger football talent than Hansen or as good. Simply a fact that the recruiting evaluations on the elite kids are virtually complete by the end of the junior year. Shumway may be the exception...anything's possible, but at this point we have nothing more than your say so. Just when I was beginning to think there was hope for you.

• Lavell Walnut Creek, Calif
    May 16, 2012 9:55 p.m.

This kid is a freaky athlete and is an awesome pick up. Great demeanor and competitive nature too. Congrats Talon and BYU.

May 16, 2012 3:37 p.m.

@devlishute

When did I ever say Chase can't play? My opinion of Chase is that he will be a terrific college football player, I've posted that so many times it shouldn't even be an issue with utah "fans". All I've ever said is I do not believe he will be a qb, he'll play defense eventually. So in that respect we completely agree, it doesn't matter what position he plays, it only matters that he does play.

@fender

How come Chase didn't show up with top times as a sprinter or long jumper? Because he didn't participate in those sports. Talon is also a D1 quality basketball player and has spent his time working on his football and basketball skills. In case you haven't noticed he has D1 offers in BOTH sports. That doesn't leave a lot of time for other stuff. Why don't you call him up and tell him he should add track to his already busy schedule because without it you don't think he is fast or can jump.

LOL!

May 16, 2012 3:30 p.m.

@fender

Chase Hansen is finished with high school. He played all of his years. Talon Shumway still has one remaining. Talon's recruiting grades are not yet complete. What I can tell you is Talon's overall athletic ability is superior. Why is that such a big deal for you utah fans to fathom? Like I said in previous posts I have never said Talon is a superior football player to Chase, Chase is a fantastic football player, but Talon is faster, he is quicker, he can jump much higher, that is simply fact. YOu guys take a comment like that as a personal insult to yourselves and utah but why don't you stop an think about it for a moment? There are better athletes in this world than Chase Hansen. There are better athletes in this state than Chase Hansen. That is not a denigration of Chase, it is simply a fact. Chase will be a good player for the ute's but he will not be their qb. Talon will be a good player for BYU and it could be at any of several positions because he is that versatile. Yes he has a 40" vertical.

• raisedaute Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 16, 2012 2:18 p.m.

@duckhunter the all knowing one.

So Utah lied to Chase about QB? Is that why he was QB all spring??? Your all consuming hatred of all things Utah is comical.

Back to this article... congrats to Talon I hope you enjoy your career at the Y. Unlike others here have said, I am sure the U would have been happy to have you as well.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    May 16, 2012 11:40 a.m.

congrats to BYU. I haven't heard any hype about this kid but if Utah offered him he must be a quality player.

• fender Washington, UT
    May 16, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Duckhunter

Bottom line the issue is superior football talent. Both Rivals and ESPN rate Hansen well ahead of Shumway. Those ratings are based on extensive film breakdown by former NFL and D1 coaches. Your knowing a parent or watching a kid play little league football means absolutely nothing. BTW, if this kid is such a terrific athlete, as you claim, why doesn't he show up with a top time as a sprinter or long jumper? 40" vertical? Kobe Bryant has a 38" vertical. Maybe that puts it in perspective for you.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 16, 2012 10:51 a.m.

If Duckhunter didn't exaggerate on who he knows and what he knows with such regularity it would be easier to believe his assertions. However, in this case I do believe he knows Hansen and Shumway. What I don't believe is his ability to evaluate talent in an unbiased fashion. I've watched enough Chase Hansen games to know that the kid can play. He's at a different level than other HS kids and it's not close.

Does it really matter what position he plays? He'll impact the game whether he plays at QB, LB, S, or special teams!

May 15, 2012 10:36 p.m.

@naval vet

I know Shumway and Hansen, really well. I don't know either Kyle or Bronco although I know Kyle's younger brothers. I played against Bronco in high school but have never held a conversation with him. I have met and talked with Dale Murphy. You see the Shumway's, Hansen's and Murphy's all live here in the Highland/Alpine area and have kids that play sports that are the same ages as a couple of my kids. It is pretty easy to know people you associate with all year in multiple sports. It is also easy to know people you went to high school with like myself and the younger Whittingham's.

What I find funny is your "frantic and emotional" replies to my posts and the fact that you know nothing and no one. That is funny to me.

LOL!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 15, 2012 6:29 p.m.

I find it awfully convenient how Duckhunter always seems to have the inside story on everything. He knows Shumway. He knows Hansen. He knows the specifics of all conversations taken place between the recruits and each coaching staff. He personally knows Bronco and Kyle. He even knows Dale Murphy. He knows who really shot JFK, and was personally consulted on the Manhattan Project. I don't buy any of it.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 15, 2012 4:58 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I find it hilarious every time a cougar fan wants to hang their hat on the ol' Utah lied to Hansen by recruiting him as a quarterback when they'll end up playing him at LB.

A ton of recent Utah recruits have come out and stated the complete opposite to what you're saying. They've told the media that the up front honest recruiting was refreshing and that they were told up front they'd need to earn their way into whatever position they were recruited to play but will always have options to get on the field somewhere else if they can win a battle there instead. Utah's proven to be among the best in the country at doing exactly that. Trust me, Chase Hansen knows this and it has everything to do with why he chose Utah.

Utah was straight up honest ... Chase, come compete for a spot to play quarterback ... if you're right for the role it will be yours one day. If it's not, we'll help you excel at a different position.

There's the true story.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 15, 2012 4:43 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

"Tanner Mangum throwing to Josh Weeks, Dylan Collie and Talon Shumway is going to capture the headlines in four or five years."

... the Daily Herald headlines.

I'm sorry, it was just too easy and I'm only having fun with you.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Seems like every BYU recruit is a legacy -- related to someone who played there or is coaching there (today's example: Talon Shumway's dad played for BYU).

When are the Cougs going to start rolling in "new" recruits. You know, the ones from around the nation that want to play for BYU because they're on ESPN and have all that exposure.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Good luck to Talon on a great accomplishment.

Unlike others, I don't feel like posters on a DNews article are qualified to analyze who is more athletic than whom nor do I profess to "know him".

I'll leave that up to the huge ego.

May 15, 2012 2:22 p.m.

@me, myself and i

You actually proved you know nothing about either situation.

Hansen went to utah specifically because they promised him he could try to play qb. He did not go there "knowing" he'd play defense. The utah coaches did know it and I have stated on here many times I believe they were dishonest in their recruiting of him. BYU told him they were not recruiting him as a qb and he would be playing defense. They were straight up honest with him. At BYU's summer camp a couple of years ago Tanner Mangum absolutely wiped the floor with Hansen as a qb, it wasn't even close.

As far as Shumway and Hansen for the mr football award, Talon was injured for much of last year and missed several games, Chase was also a senior. Chase was well deserving of that award but that has nothing to do with which one is the more athletic kid. You see I know them, you do not. Like I told Utah'95 I never said Talon was the better football player, just the better athlete. Of course Talon still has his sr year to go.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    May 15, 2012 2:20 p.m.

PAC12Fan:

To answer your question about who is better if both are 8-4 is simple. The better 8-4 record is whoever wins the Holy War! Head to Head match-ups are the only way to ever settle truthfully the question of "who's better".

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    May 15, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Duckhunter:

After reading some of your later posts I will apologize for my harsh eval. of your first post. Since we are discussing football on this thread when you said Shumway was the better athlete I figured you meant football player as well. Your later posts clarified what you really meant. And since I try to be reasonable and objective I have no problem in admitting my first comment towards you was off base, that and the fact that I'm suffering horribly from football withdrawls which in this case caused me a little foot in mouth syndrome.

May 15, 2012 2:13 p.m.

@Utah'95

I just happen to know them and know how they both grade out in those athletic abilities. That is not a denigration of Chase either, he is a fantastic athlete. But Talon has D1 offers in multiple sports and that attests to his overall athleticism. Chase was not going to be a D1 athlete in any other sport. He is a football player, and a great one.

@JayDee

I know Jay very well, he and I coached Talon and my son in both football and basketball. I have always liked Jay. Of course what happened in their family is personal and not anyone's business on here but I personally love Jay, and Talon, and all of their family. Jay actually helped out at BYU a few years ago with the long snapper's when BYU was struggling a bit at that position. He was good enough to my son to actually take him to BYU practice with him and Talon and it was a lot of fun for them. Talon is going to be a fantastic player for BYU, he is probably the most athletic kid I have ever known.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    May 15, 2012 2:05 p.m.

CougFanin TX:

Actually Hansen was recruited to and planning on playing LB when he signed with Utah. The change came when the Utah coaches talked him into staying and competing for the starting QB job instead of leaving for his mission after graduation. If I was a betting man I would bet Hansen red-shirts this season and leaves on his mission after fall semester. No matter how the cookie crumbles for him I don't see him transferring to the Y.

I do agree with you that both are exceptional athletes and could very well end up playing a number of different positions to help their teams.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    May 15, 2012 1:58 p.m.

Max:

No...it would have been nice to have another talented local kid on the roster at the U but this signing doesn't sting at all.

Duckhunter: You just revealed you're willing to sellout any credibility as a knowledgeable football fan to support your team. If Shumway truly was a better athlete than Hansen I'm sure it would have been Shumway taking home the Mr. Football award and not his teammate. They are both solid and talented football players who knows what either of them would have accomplished without the other my guess is not nearly as much as they did.

Yeffoegn:

Try reading the article before commenting. Shumway said it best himself when he said he felt like Utah didn't want him as badly.

Shumway is a great athlete and I'm sure he'll have a great career at the Y. I wish him the best of luck.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 15, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Chase Hansen might be a better version of Riley Nelson, but a MUCH better version of Riley Nelson is a Stanford transfer named Taysom Hill.

He's the QB of the future I'm excited about.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:22 p.m.

To compare Talon Shumway with Chase Hansen...Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? On offense neither would have been as big as they were without the other. Hansen was a huge threat running or throwing the ball, and when he did throw it, his eyes were always looking for Shumway. I don't think you can say one athlete is superior to the other, they both play different positions and have different builds and techniques that makes them unique to their own game. Although I agree with one poster that suggested that Hansen will be on the defensive side of the ball. I am a UCLA fan and I would hate the thought of having to face Hansen and that wicked hard hitting #4 Brian Blechen. Those two in the deep would bring some serious pain to QB's and WR's alike. I hope my Bruins can get out of their funk but that would be two mean DB's for the Utes. Congrats to Shumway and Hansen, I wish them the best in their college careers.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Why on earth would the DNews mention internal family rifts? This is poor, poor form and completely avoid of the news that he has signed an athletic scholarship.

Good luck to this young man at BYU.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:01 p.m.

This is the last piece of the puzzle needed for another National Championship.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:01 p.m.

Talon's dad is a great guy from a tremendous family of his own. I played HS ball with Jay. In addition to being the studentbody president, he was an excellent kicker and a good athlete. He made himself into the valuable deep snapper on the '84 national championship team. Best wishes to both Jay and his son.

Great choice to be a Cougar!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 15, 2012 11:31 a.m.

@Utah'95
    "Scout gave them both 3 stars, but rated Hansen the #44 OLB, and Shumway the #91 WR."

U may want to tell Hansen you are moving him to LB, and see how quickly he heads South. He went to Utah to play QB, not LB. Where did Scout rate him as a QB?

Your comparisons are meaningless. Both are incredible athletes and will likely make an impact. I wouldn't be surprised if either of them ended up playing a different position, since both are very capable.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 15, 2012 11:24 a.m.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 15, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Duckhunter

Frankly utah is more upset they didn't get Shumway than BYU is about Hansen.

Give me a break.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 15, 2012 10:44 a.m.

RE: Utah'95

Thank you for posting on these boards. It is nice to read posts from a rational and civil fan, even if you do cheer for the wrong team.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 15, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Thank you for the clarification of your earlier statement, but some of the "measurables" you mentioned aren't posted on the recruiting sites yet.

By no means do I believe that the recruiting sites' are infallible in their evaluations of the players, but their opinions shouldn't be dismissed too lightly.

As I said, I look forward to reading ESPN's evaluation of him. Maybe they will agree with you on your comparison of the two athletes in question...

I have no problem with Shumway "dreaming" of playing for BYU. I just wish he would dream bigger and play for the Utes!

May 15, 2012 9:57 a.m.

@Utah'95

I didn't say Shumway was a better football player than Hansen, Hansen was Mr. Football for the state this year. I said Shumway is a better athlete and he is. In all the measurable attributes of an athlete Shumway is better, speed, quickness, vertical, etc.

Shumway's sophomore year he played wr, and rb, as well as defense for Lone Peak. He also started at qb, and won all the games he started, when Hansen was injured his jr. year. He is much more versatile.

Both BYU and utah offered him as a sophomore and utah recruited him very hard, they wanted him badly. He had a rough patch over the situation with his dad and I think for a time he wanted to not have anything to do with his dad and considered not going to BYU but BYU had been his dream since he was a child so he obviously came back to that.

He was injured last year which is probably why he doesn't have full recruiting grades yet. That will change this season. Remember Talon also has D1 basketball offer's. That is the quality of athlete he is.

May 15, 2012 9:38 a.m.

@sls

Talon's father is Jay Shumway. He was a long snapper at BYU in the mid 80's.

May 15, 2012 9:36 a.m.

@Cougar Passion

Yes I know the details and no I will not post them here.

@jenny

You in particular don't know anything about either of them. I coached them both, in multiple sports over many years. I've known both since they were in 4th grade, Talon's family held him back in 5th grade which is why he is a year behind Chase in school. Shumway is definately the superior athlete in all of the measurable attributes. He is faster than Chase, he is quicker than Chase and his vertical is far superior to Chase's. That is not selling Chase short who is a terrific athlete and I have posted that fact on here many times. But simply put Talon is far more explosive in the measurable athletic attributes. It isn't even debateable. Hansen is a thicker kid and weighs more, I'd say he is more powerful. Both are the same height.

They are different types of players, Hansen will become a LB because he has more size. Talon has offensive skills that are top notch.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 15, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Congratulations Talon. Good luck in your college career.

---------------

Duckhunter - don't be offended, but is your opinion on Shumway being a better athlete than Hansen perhaps biased?

Rivals rated Hansen a 5.8 as an "athlete," and Shumway a 5.5 as a "WR."

ESPN gave Hansen a 78, but hasn't awarded a score to Shumway yet.

I look forward to reading ESPN's evaluation of Shumway, but Rivals clearly is more impressed with Hansen than they are with Shumway.

--------------
    Anyway, good luck to Shumway, and good luck to both programs!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 15, 2012 9:05 a.m.

This whole article is almost unbelievable. According to some of the self-proclaimed prophets who post on this site there is absolutely no way a high school recruit would turn down a scholarship offer from a program belonging to the conference of champions/BCS team/we were once losers now we're in the club.

Nevertheless, good luck with life Talon.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 15, 2012 8:46 a.m.

I'm sure Utah wanted Shumway but it sounds like there was some hesitancy. They may look back and wish they'd have cared a little more and I hope for Shumway's sake that's how his collegiate career turns out.
    Most likely Utah knew he was headed to BYU all along which is why he felt Utah didn't show him the same kind of love.
    Bottom line ... congrats to Shumway and the Cougs. Utah probably would've liked him but won't won't lose sleep over it. The loser here is USU, I'm sure they'd have loved to have him suit up for them.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 15, 2012 8:27 a.m.

Writing that he is not that good or that Utah did not really want him ---After--- he has decided to go to BYU. Very funny...and telling.
    Utah did want Talon badly and they get a little egg in the face for losing out to BYU on this one. He is one of the top in-state recruits for 2013 and someone who Utah offered early and went after aggressively.

Great get for the Y.

Go BYU!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 15, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Welcome Talon! Enjoy your mission and we look forward to having you with us when you return.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 15, 2012 7:53 a.m.

@Duckhunter

"Frankly utah is more upset they didn't get Shumway than BYU is about Hansen."

Another sneaky late jab by the Duck!

Yeah, clearly BYU's offensive system wouldn't fit a player like Hansen. It's clearly setup for a pocket passer to succeed, not a dual-threat QB like Hansen. There's not a chance BYU would have given a kid with those tools an opportunity to play QB.

Signed Riley Nelson!

The truth that Duck can't admit is that Hansen is a better version of Nelson, and would be able to do even more than Riley has been as far as an offensive scheme goes.

Only trouble there is he chose to play at Utah, where he'll likely be moved to defense after his mission, instead of accepting BYU's BIG late push to bring him in after they saw how Nelson was successful with similar skills.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Who am I sir?

If the Desnews predicts both Utah and BYU at 8-4, which 8-4 record is better?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 15, 2012 7:42 a.m.

This guy down the street told me he's as good as Austin Collie.

• sls Columbia, MO
    May 15, 2012 6:16 a.m.

I don't think it was tacky to mention Talon's relationship with his father, but I'm surprised that the article didn't say more about the father's playing days at BYU. Who was Talon Shumway's father?

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    May 15, 2012 1:23 a.m.

Don't sell him too short, I'm sure there was a good reason Utah offered him.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 15, 2012 1:09 a.m.

Talon,

Good Luck at the Y! Asise from the one game next September - I wish you success. Looking ahead the only way the Y will affect the U football program will be in recruiting, IMO. And if the past couple of years recruiting results are indicative of the future both programs will be able to compete favorably against their scheduled opponents. (I believe the Dnews predicted an 8 win - 4 loss record for both next year.)

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:23 a.m.

Nice get! I was really hoping that BYU was going to get a good WR in this class and Talon fits BYUs system perfect. 6'3" and athletic, after the Hoffman/Apo years it will be nice to see Talon Shumway and Josh Weeks lined up on the same field.

And that being said, the shots at Utah really aren't necessary. Utah is a Pac-12 school and will have athletic skill players that probably wouldn't consider BYU as their first choice. Now, THAT being said, Utah fans, stop acting like you didn't want him. I would have loved to hear what Utah fans would have said about him if he had actually chosen Utah. We would have heard all kinds of how Utah is going to keep dominating in state recruiting and get all the best in-state players and what not, but Ute fans down play it like its no big deal.

Either way, I'm sure Utah will find a way to get other recruits, and BYU will benefit a lot from Talon's athletic ability. I encourage BYU fans to check out his YouTube highlights if you haven't seen them. Go Cougars!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 14, 2012 11:52 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"...yes utah recruited him very, very hard...Frankly utah is more upset they didn't get Shumway than BYU is about Hansen."

What a frantic and emotional thing to say. Let's see what Talon Shumway and the article had to say about Utah's recruitment of him:

"'I just didn't feel as wanted at Utah,' said Shumway."

Whoops! You so desperately wanted to gloat, but Shumway HIMSELF stole your thunder. How devastating for you. I just don't understand how that quote so difficult for you to comprehend? Was it because you're so WAC-ish and mid-majorey?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 14, 2012 11:32 p.m.

I agree with Howard. Putting in print comments about internal family strife is very, very tacky. Bad decision, DN.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 14, 2012 11:00 p.m.

Cougar Passion - please don't go there.

• Yerffoegn Maricopa, Az
    May 14, 2012 10:54 p.m.

Come on Ute fans. You win some you lose some. Utah wanted this kid, he chose BYU. Selling him short just makes you look foolish.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    May 14, 2012 10:38 p.m.

Duck - You're the only person on earth who thinks Talon is better than Hansen. They're not even close.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2012 10:00 p.m.

So. . . are we allowed to discuss what the issues are between him and his dad? And does anybody know?

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Good for him. I don't think Kyle will be crying himself to sleep over this one. Doesn't sting!

Good luck to Talon.

May 14, 2012 9:50 p.m.

@lynnard

You don't have any clue what you are talking about. Talon is a better athlete than Hansen. Faster, quicker, much better vertical. But they are different and will excell at different things. Hansen is a thicker more muscularly built kid than Talon is, Talon is leaner type of muscle but is just off the charts quick and his vertical is around 40" and is much more explosive than Chase. Hansen is on his way to defense wereas Talon will be an offensive weapon who will use his size and jumping ability to go get the ball.

This is a great commit for BYU but really it was expected. Talons life long dream has been to play at BYU so this really isn't a kid utah had much of a chance to get. By the way utah-hawaii both schools offered him as a sophomore and yes utah recruited him very, very hard. I'll guaranty they are not happy about this but you win some you lose some and this is one they lost. Frankly utah is more upset they didn't get Shumway than BYU is about Hansen.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    May 14, 2012 9:25 p.m.

Talon (great name!) is not the highest ranked recruit, but I think BYU is somewhat like Boise State in the fact that the end result is often more than expected by the supposed quality of the players (the whole being greater than the sum of its parts).

Good luck Talon, I hope you will be able to reach beyond others expectations!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 14, 2012 9:00 p.m.

Welcome aboard Talon. I look forward to watching you play.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 14, 2012 8:47 p.m.

I don't think the U will lose any sleep over Shumway. Utah has some serious talent headed to SLC. Utah is gonna be DANGEROUS this year. Goooooooo Utes!

• raisedaute Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 14, 2012 8:37 p.m.

Congrats to Talon. Seems like a great kid

• Lynnard Kearns, UT
    May 14, 2012 8:32 p.m.

@Max-was-right
    This doesn't sting if you are a Utes fan. Not the same talent as his QB from last year was. This kid could be a good college TE but has been hurt most of his high school career. I don't think this is the type of player the Utes are looking for to play WR in the PAC-

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    May 14, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Welcome to BYU. And let's not brag, he wasn't THAT big of a recruit.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 14, 2012 8:19 p.m.

"Without providing specifics, Shumway doesn’t have the best relationship with his father and was bound and determined not to follow his father’s lead in accepting BYU’s offer."
    *********

A new low for the DN...cheapshoting private family relationships for the purpose of portraying BYU as having overcome a difficult hurdle in the recruiting process.

This young man was destined for BYU from birth... no recruiting required.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    May 14, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Oops, that one sting Ute fans?