Sports

BYU football: New LDS convert seeks BYU football scholarship

Comments

• peterpanedU OREM, UT
    May 16, 2012 2:20 p.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum
    We will see if your prediction will come true in week one. BUT we will also be watching when Wazzu comes to RES and humbles the Mighty U so there big boy

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 16, 2012 12:12 a.m.

What will "blues" nation do when Wazzu torches BYU in week one at LES? BYU fans had better be humble for once........because you're gonna get humbled.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 15, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Nice. Like this kid. Good luck.

EastCoastCoug, I dis notice Jake Heaps showing class. He's always had it, it's just a great many Y fans forgot that along the way.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    May 15, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Jake Heaps showed his true colors and that is Pure Class, Good Luck Jake Heaps most Cougar Fan's Miss you.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 15, 2012 3:12 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

I agree. I'm so tired of hearing people trash Jake Heaps for leaving BYU. He's showed a lot more class towards his former school than many the Cougar faithful ever showed him.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 15, 2012 3:12 p.m.

I hope the Naysayers don't dream up the idea that Bronco contacted the missionaries and asked them if they knew about a great athlete he could recruit.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    May 15, 2012 11:48 a.m.

More important than playing football, is the fact that this young man accepted the Gospel. I had a nephew, now deceased, that served a mission in Toronto Canada, many years ago. He was huge,weighed 11 lbs at birth and went from there, had to have clothes specially made and wore a size 18 (i think)shoe. They were also made for him. His comment "when I knock on their door they don't dare to turn me away". However, he was really a softie, loved the gospel, served well, and was a wonderful dancer, this Aunt loved to dance with him. A True example of your size might not be the eternal factor in you, but your service to your Heavenly Father can definitely be a positive, in anyone's life, football player, doctor, Dad, politician whatever you choose to be

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2012 10:43 a.m.

I am not finding his father on the KU staff as one writer posted. He is not listed on the KU offical page. If Worf has some other source it would be good to hear what it is.
    Don't know his father's name from this article so I can't do any research on that.

His excited happiness is infectiou and fun to see. I enjoy hearing about people who want and desire to edify their lives. He sees this change in his life for good. I give him kudo's for that. I give kudo's to anyone who finds something that edifies their life and better still someone elses life.

Better than spending your life whinning about someone else's life or goals. What kind of alternate reality view point would find joy in that? Glad I don't live in that kind of lonely bubble.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 15, 2012 9:16 a.m.

The real question is can he field punts and kickoffs in practice. If he can, he'll be starting in no time.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 15, 2012 8:51 a.m.

That kid's not going to like it in Utah that's for sure. He'll see.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2012 9:54 p.m.

He may have "only" been recruited by Kansas and Minnesota. But BYU seems to do quite well with the kids that are D-1 quality regardless of which D-1 schools recruited them, if they have a burning desire to play for BYU as he currently does. I would just hope that fire stays with him after the initial zeal he admirably feels inevitably cools to the more mellow variety that characterizes day-to-day living of the Gospel.

• L Central, Utah
    May 14, 2012 9:21 p.m.

Congratulations to Mr. Ford on his current decision. He will be faced with many more, some pertaining to making his grades, others regarding keeping standards that will keep himself worthy to pursue his goals.

What happens if BYU doesn"t have a scholorship to offer him, what will he do and how will he act. That would be a real test of character or committment, but could certainly be a great possibility.

They make some tough ball players out there on the plains and it sounds like he would be a good addition to many teams. Best of luck in the months to come. Maybe luck doesn't have much to do with it, maybe it is more about what we make of every individual situation or challange.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 14, 2012 8:27 p.m.

He will fit in perfectly in Provo, Utah. They will love him there!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 14, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Iowa Western has LDS roots in the soccer program and now some football!

The Reivers have been recruiting LDS kids since they started their soccer program several years ago. More than 50% of the girls team are from out here and LDS.

Their football program for a JC team has done a great job in the three short years they've been around. 23 - 8 overall. They came out here 2010 and played Snow College for a bowl game.

Hope this kid can find a home, he's got heart!

• Keisels Beard Overton, NV
    May 14, 2012 6:38 p.m.

Hopefully he can reach his dream and play for BYU. If that isn't possible for some reason, Utah and USU could be alternate options for him.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 14, 2012 6:30 p.m.

I like and support Utah football but can I say this hedgehog, you're getting a bit tiresome already! Attack BYU football all you want but let's keep the young men out of it.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    May 14, 2012 4:41 p.m.

What a great story. B.Y.U. loves recruits like these who are LDS and want to come and play sports as well as surround themselves with others of their faith. I don't know if B.Y.U. has a scholarship available for him, but if they do he would fit nicely with our program. Also kudos to Jake who could have made disparaging comments about B.Y.U. but instead told him that even though B.Y.U. didn't work out for him it is still a good school and has a great atmosphere. Good luck to Phil and Jake in your endeavors.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 14, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Dear Brother Ford, congratulations on your joining with us in the gospel. I really hope you get a good shot at joining BYU. I also highly recommend a mission. It will forever change your life and make you into a man with great priorities. Good luck and God Bless!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 14, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Like several of you I was not only impressed with this young man but proud that Jake was willing to do what is right. So thanks Jake. Impressive. I am still a fan and hope you do well at KU.

Now if we could only get both Red and Blue people to understand that great people go to the U and the Y. (and KU) And the fact that BYU is not for everyone that is LDS and that all BYU people are one way and that U people are a certain way as well. Having grown up around the U my whole life with most of my friends going there and me going to the Y, trust me I have seen both sides. I am a fan of both. I know the good and the bad at both.

Please let us know how this story ends. He would be quite a missionary. 330 pound guy knocking on a door would be fun to watch. I was that tall but half that weight when I was knocking on doors in Kansas 35 ears ago.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2012 4:13 p.m.

This story is about more than football. Hope the football works out, but long after college sports he will be blessed for his decision.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 14, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I just love these kinds of stories. I hope it works out for this young man but even if it doesn't I love his enthusiasm and his desire to serve a mission. The story just really made me feel good and I'm pulling for him. Good Luck Phil!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 14, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Hey, anyone else notice that Jake Heaps showed a whole lot of class in recommending BYU even though so many of us fans have been dissing him for months (including yours truly)? I have repented.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 14, 2012 2:59 p.m.

In that one moment, Jake Heaps demonstrated an incredible amount of class. Best of luck with your new team, Jake.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 14, 2012 2:44 p.m.

I'm sure Brandon simply forgot to mention all the other programs desperate to get Phil. Brandon did mention that powerhouse Minn and Kansas had offerd him before he failed to make grades so I'm sure they're jumping through hoops to get him now.

Scout must not be updated as they don't have a profile for Phil but i'm sure they will straight away.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 14, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Best wishes to this young man and Kudos for his desires to serve.
    Nice surprise for the football staff !

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 14, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Well, this story is interesting to much of the audience of the DesNews. For that, it's newsworthy. Time will tell if there is any substance to it. Will BYU show much interest? If so, will the young man turn out to be a quality player?

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2012 2:07 p.m.

Sounds like a win, win for everyone.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 14, 2012 2:02 p.m.

This guys dad is a KU football coach and former Kansas City Chief. Can't go wrong with a Ford.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 14, 2012 1:44 p.m.

If he's any good and his grades are up, sign him up.

• Uncle Rico Coug AMERICAN FORK, UT
    May 14, 2012 1:38 p.m.

What a great story from a genuine young man! I admire him for his desires to live a righteous life and his commitment to do that by joining the church. I think that we could find a spot on the team for a football player of his size and the transfer could benefit BYU and Phil Ford. I hope we see you in a BYU uniform Mr. Ford!

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    May 14, 2012 1:29 p.m.

It's exciting to sense the enthusiasm of a new convert to the LDS Church. I hope he is good enough to play football for the Cougs. Please get him off those ice skates before he hurts himself.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    May 14, 2012 1:22 p.m.

What a fantastic story - he sounds like a wonderful young man.

I'd love to see him come to BYU. I hope it works out.

Especially the part about him wanting to serve a mission! I love this kid

• jaredM Provo, UT
    May 14, 2012 1:09 p.m.

How great for him. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself at BYU. That said, I also hope if BYU doesn't offer to him, he doesn't take offense at it (from what I've read, I don't think he will)