Sports

Red roundup: Kyle Whittingham tells ESPN.com 4 teams isn't enough for possible BCS playoff

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 8, 2012 11:56 p.m.

"The pac12 network is currently not on any system anywhere and there is no date as to when it will be."

Not throwing my hat in the ring of this useless argument, just inserting some news to clarify misinformation. From Broadcast Engineering: "MIRA Mobile Television will provide remote television production services to the new Pac-12 Networks when they launch in August." A logical time to look for when a sports network will be on air would be when the sports it covers begin their year; for college sports, that would be August.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 8, 2012 9:40 p.m.

@johny

No that is not the wager I made despite your desire. You know what I really love about this? It is that you are so desperate for me to not post on utah articles that you will go to any length, tell any falsehood, make any demand, to make that happen. LOL!

I love that I have this affect on you. LOL!

p.s.

LOL!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 8, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Sorry duckie, I'm not going to give you cover to parse your words yet again. But I will help you remember, as that seems difficult.

When willary correctly stated that every Pac-12 football game would be shown on either ESPN family, Fox family or Pac-12 networks nationwide, your wager was based on your confident boast: "That is not going to happen."

It is. Give up. See ya' next year.

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 8, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Uh johny....would you please tell me what channel I can find the pac10 network on? I have Comcast. Then would you please be kind enough to tell me on what channel it can be found on any system, cable or sattelite, anywhere in the country? Thanks in advance for helping me to keep my part of the wager.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 7, 2012 3:25 p.m.

"Please continue to post your lies . . ."

Oh Ducky, you're a little too forgetful.

In comments to the June 1, 2011 DNews article about Utah's then-scheduled 2011 TV appearances, willary correctly stated:
    "The Pac-12 Network will be national off the bat. Every Pac-12 football game will be on either ESPN family, Fox family or Pac-12 Network, all national stations."

You posted this on June 2 at 11:20am:
    "I'm willing to wager that is not going to happen."

You posted this at 12:12pm:
    "I am willing to wager that the pac12 network WILL NOT be available nationwide next year as williary asserted. No chance at all that it will be. I'm willing to wager it will take years, if it is ever available nationwide, for that to happen."

When called on your "wager", you backslid:
    "The pac10 network will not be available nationwide next year. . . . But to give you a fighting chance let's say if it is avaiable in just 75% of the households in the country"

Belatedly adding the 75% qualifer--meaningless when satellite comes on-board--doesn't get you off the hook.

Quack-up, ducky. LOL!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 6, 2012 3:38 p.m.

Nothing about you is "reality". You're not a BYU fan for starters and that makes everything after that false as well. I do enjoy reading it however, I really do. Seeing a utah "fan" go to the lengths you go to try and convince BYU fans of BYU's supposed inferiority and utah's supposed superiority is borderline manic. It simply proves Max right and supplies me with constant hours of amusement.

I never realized how much fun it could be to litterally watch someone descend into madness right before my eyes.

LOL!

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    May 6, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Ducky I'm only explaining the reality that BYU fans selectively ignore.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:36 a.m.

@no conference

You're not a BYU fan. No one is fooled by you claiming to be. Frankly you are just another of the many screen names of one of the more prolific utah "fans" around here. I do find your persistence interesting however. It shows a high level of self deceit and delusion. Keep it up, it's fun for me to see.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    May 5, 2012 12:18 p.m.

Duckhunter, Utah took the risk and joined a conference which gives them a shot.
    BYU is doing absolutely nothing to increase its chances of playing for a national title.
    I'm so tired of fellow BYU fans making up excuses.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 5, 2012 11:50 a.m.

@waccy

"Utah needs to win the PAC title for a shot."

In otherwords they have no shot. Less than BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 5, 2012 9:01 a.m.

@johninslc

You continue to try and propogate that lie. Even the majority of the utah "fans" know that is not the case. I never once said anything about utah getting a national tv deal. I will post it one more time for your apparently comprehensively dim benefit.

If the pac12 tv network is nationwide by the start of training camp this year I will quit posting on utah articles for the entire season. Now by nationwide I made the stipulation that it must be available to 75% of the homes in the nation, so just being on a couple of cable networks or dish networks is not enough. It must be on enough of those networks to reach 75% of the tv sets in the country.

Please continue to post your lies as they are as always reflective of the honesty and class of utah "fans" as a whole.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    May 4, 2012 9:13 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT
    @TJ

I'm sure whittingham is coming from the position of having an undefeated team that wasn't even considered for the National Championship so it is a sensitive topic for him. I'm sure he also realizes that his team doesn't have any better of a chance to get into the National Championship with a 4 team playoff than it ever did so he wants an expansion so that he has a very vague outside possibility of maybe getting in.

________________________

Utah needs to win the PAC title for a shot.
    BYU needs to prove it can beat teams other than bottom feeders and WAC opponents. This is not 1984 anymore. Oh and it needs to actually beat good teams its schedules.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 4, 2012 6:46 p.m.

@ Oatmeal - "but if any Utah school goes to a bowl game, you can bet all real fans will be watching and pulling for that team"

I was born and raised in SLC and though I live out of state, still follow the in-state schools. Utah, USU, and Weber St. are all public scools and I pull for them. BYU is a private, religious based school. While I respect their accomplishments and offer congratulations when they are successful, I do not root for them. You can bet that lots of other fans share that opinion.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 4, 2012 3:50 p.m.

"You have yet to prove me wrong about one single thing."

Ducky:

Your simply being here proves you were wrong when promising last June that you wouldn't post on Utah articles when the Utes got a nationwide TV deal. Ooops!

LOL!

(Now start the explanations/excuses. We'll just imagine the whiny tone.)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 4, 2012 3:20 p.m.

@54-10

You have yet to prove me wrong about one single thing. But you keep claiming you do. Obsessed by me huh?

LOL!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 4, 2012 3:00 p.m.

Whit realizes what he's up against.

Now that the Utes are in a 'big boy' conference it's not very likely that an opportunity to slide through a cupcake schedule will avail itself like it did in the MWC.

There's always a little self interest in these matters... in this case it's blatantly obvious.

Opening this up to several teams will be just better for everyone... even the Utes.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2012 2:05 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

You are "sure" of a lot of things.

Most of them wrong.

LOL

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 4, 2012 1:34 p.m.

Kyle is correct!

• Ross Madison, AL
    May 4, 2012 12:33 p.m.

This is not a tournament, its a playoff of the top 4. Agree or disagree, thats the way it is.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 4, 2012 12:04 p.m.

No Chris B, the future of Utah football is with the winning team, be it Utah State, the U or the Y. May the best team win. That is why we love the game. I pull for the Y during the regular season, but if any Utah school goes to a bowl game, you can bet all real fans will be watching and pulling for that team.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 4, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Funny, ESPN didn't ask for bronkos opionion....LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Surprising, considering Whittingham has already proven he is good enough to get a team into that top 4 spot.

Other coaches in utah talk about getting there.

Whit has done it.

The future of football in Utah, is UTAH

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2012 11:32 a.m.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where Whittingham told the BCS to get out of town. All he said was he didn't think a 4 team playoff was expansive enough, because it still left things in the hands of the voters.

Removing the AQ rule frees up the big money bowl games (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose) to choose which teams they want. That makes it easier for Utah to get to the Rose Bowl. Why would Whittingham speak out against that?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 4, 2012 11:24 a.m.

@TJ

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    May 4, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Even being a BYU fan, Whittingham is a great coach and a great person; unlike his predecessor. I think everyone agrees that a true 8 or 16 team playoff would be a lot more exciting and meaningful than relying on opinions and computer programs to pick the top teams.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 4, 2012 10:50 a.m.

Whittingham is pretty cool for a Ute. Must be his BYU roots.
    Seriously though; I am very happy to see him stick his neck out a little. Very classy. Hopefully there will be many more BCS coaches, AD's, and University presidents who will have the courage to tell the BCS to get out of town.