Thursday's National Day of Prayer a chance to express gratitude, seek help, Obama says

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    May 3, 2012 10:44 p.m.

I'd prefer a "National day of Reason" but I don't need an elected official to remind me to pray if I so see fit. I'd rather a religious leader (try and) persuade me. So if you want to pray, and you need a day to remind you, do us all a favor, go to your local chruch and pray ALL YOU WANT! I will always fight for your right to practice your religion, just keep me out of it and we're all good! One nation indivisible by RELIGION!

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Your (mis)understanding of Rev Wright's sermon takes it completely out of context and totally distorts the point he was making.

For your information, a predominately WHITE Southern Baptist Convention officially endorsed Rev Wright's theological teachings many years ago.

Until you actually understand something, it would be best if you remained silent on the subject.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:25 p.m.

I have always been annoyed that our politicians waste their time by designating official religious events like the "National Day of Prayer". This goes against the spirit of the Constitution in establishing an official recognition that favors those who are believers over those who are nonbelievers. While the designation of a "National Day of Prayer" has no real consequence, it seems to me to be nothing more than pandering to the religious ones among us.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    May 3, 2012 3:55 p.m.

express gratitude, seek help, Obama says? This comes from one who sat in Rev. Wrights church for twenty years and called the Rev Wright his mentor. The most hate filled church in America.Yet this man said he never heard what the Rev, Wright was spewing on a regular basis.Hah!I do not think the God I pray to would enter that place. This is all political on the Pres.part.Say whatever they want to hear.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 12:20 p.m.

[Maybe all of those who don't think they are blessed to live in this country should get out. That's just my opinion.]

Good thing your opinion doesn't matter.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 3, 2012 10:48 a.m.

mohokat - I would hope that God has better things to do than worry about silly partisan politics and name calling. When he Son was here, he was able to stay above the fray of a regime that was infinitely more repressive. You would hope that those who have it far better could also rise above.

Prayer is not a partisan issue....sad to see it drug into the political mud.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 3, 2012 9:53 a.m.

Muslim or Christian, prayer is vital.

• Bubble SLC, UT
    May 3, 2012 9:49 a.m.

I love reading comments on stories like this. They are so good at illustrating the love and acceptance taught by Christ.

How nice that we can all come together as Americans on such an auspicious occasion.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    May 3, 2012 8:24 a.m.

express gratitude, seek help, Obama says I agree I am grateful that Obamas term is about to end and I seek help from God and the citizens of this once great country to make his expiring term his last. Amen

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    May 2, 2012 11:32 p.m.

@ A Scientist,
    Any real scientist would know that God has everything to do with it. There very fact that you alone are living and breathing on this planet is evidence of God, not to mention the other 7 Billion people. Maybe all of those who don't think they are blessed to live in this country should get out. That's just my opinion.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Gratitude for what? "natural disasters?" Economic recessions? Disease? What exactly has god done for which he deserves thanks? Nothing.

Help with what?

The world is "blessed" by human ingenuity, and "cursed" by human ignorance, selfishness, and greed. We must help ourselves. God has as much to do with it as Tinkerbell and her band of fairies.

May 2, 2012 8:50 p.m.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 5:43 p.m.

May our Father in Heaven bless us as a nation, and continue to bless you, Mr. President. We share your faith in the efficacy of prayer.