BYU football: CSU transfer Drew Reilly seeks better atmosphere at BYU

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 26, 2012 3:39 a.m.

BYU coaches missed badly on Trevor. He wanted to go to BYU after his mission but BYU coaches didn't offer him so he did the next best thing he could and went up the road to Utah. He's going to turn a lot of heads this season and was one of their best playmakers on D last year.

I'm glad BYU coaches had the good sense not to let his lil' Bro do the same.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 7, 2012 2:35 p.m.

Kids transfer all of the time from every single school in the counry for a lot of different reasons. His older brother transfered to utah. Tere is no more frequency of kids transferring to BYU than anywhere else. Maybe the reasons are different but who cares what the reasons are? If you don't fit the enviroment then it is best to go elsewhere. My guess is you'd probably applaud a kid that transfers from BYU because he he doesn't want to live the honor code and a clean enviroment.

And no it does not make me wonder what he meant about "having a hard time". I'm sure he was living the churches standards just fine but lacked many peers that lived the same way. He probably had teamates and roomates that were doing plenty of things contrary to his personal standards and simply wanted to be around others that live the way he wants to live.

Who knows what kind of player he'll turn out to be but at least he is now in a place that suits his personal standards and morals more closely.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    May 7, 2012 12:01 p.m.

I think it would have been better for the LDS Church if he had stayed at CSU and been an example of LDS standards. The regularity with which LDS players commit to then transfer from other schools to BYU has got to leave a bitter taste when recruiting LDS athletes in the future.

When he says he was having a tough time living an LDS lifestyle at CSU, it kind of makes you wonder.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 7, 2012 8:17 a.m.

sissy b: you're such a pill. i do appreciate your well thought out extraordinary comments.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    May 7, 2012 6:46 a.m.

For struggling, embarrassing, irrelevant, unranked, fan-base rationalizing, see 8th-place finishing, bottom of the pac loser to 10-loss Colorado.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 6, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum
    Dallas, TX

What you meant was "struggling 'top 25' football program"...

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    May 6, 2012 9:46 p.m.

People keep saying it was a classy move by Colorado. It was the best decision for the team. Having a malcontent who doesn't want to be on your team could become very toxic. People keep on saying it was a classy move, but I can't imagine a coach would have simply let this kid go with no strings attached if they really thought he was going to make an impact for their team.

May 6, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Hello gents, I suggest you fine fellows relish in your struggling BYU football program before the LDS officials in SLC scrap the program after ESPN dumps BYU. It will happen. They will NOT take the embarrassment anymore. I'll look forward to reading your comments/rationalizations when that day arrives...........which will be within the next 5-8 years for sure. Enjoy your Sunday! Cheers!

• Y's little brother The Hill, UT
    May 6, 2012 2:27 p.m.

"BYU was great in everything during the 1970s-80s...........because they had a ton of money."

You're full of distortions and inuedos, but short on substance and reality.

BYU was great in the 70's and 80's because BYU had great athletes and great coaches.

Much to the chagrin of our little brothers, BYU's overall athletic program has dominated Utah for decades and that trend continues today. All of your rants and hyperbole won't change the reality that

in 2011-12, BYU BEAT Utah in 11 of the 15 head-to-head matchups.

For the 12th time in BYU history, the Cougars finished in the Top 25 in football AND played in the NCAA basketball tournament in the same academic year.

Any guesses on how many times the "mighty" utes have done that?

Hint: You can easily count it on one hand with fingers to spare.

May 6, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Is this a comment board or therapy session for Utah-Hawaii?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:42 a.m.

"Interesting" like a trainwreck is interesting.

May 5, 2012 6:36 p.m.

@ Veritas,

I probably am the "most interesting man" you would ever meet.......which isn't saying that much as I see it..... but, you are a Y fan?????? That speaks volumes son! Bwahahahahaha!

May 5, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Nowadays, it is very complicated to buy an athlete. Back when I was a scholly D1 athlete.........very easy.......and BYU had a ton of money. They did well, not a hard fact to know why???????????????

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 5, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

Could be the most interesting man alive.

How's the Two X's commercials coming along?

May 5, 2012 10:44 a.m.

BYU was great in everything during the 1970s-80s...........because they had a ton of money. I lived it, I know what went down.............NOW, that advantage is gone...........because the NCAA rules have changed after BYU won that BOGUS 1984 NC in football. That is why there is a BCS now folks. SMU, BYU and Notre Dame, all big money schools during that era, haven't been heard from since.......there is a REASON for that!

May 5, 2012 10:29 a.m.

@ Nevadacoug,

Yes, there are only a few NCAA Div 1 full ride golf scholarships available every year. I got U of Hawaii's only one in 1984. Both of my lil' bros had full rides to Utah(golf), but they were unreal players and offered full rides from BYU, but declined over the phone and never spoke to Karl Tucker( BYU's great golf coach) in person........I was "OK" at best...........My last year I was ranked 82nd in the nation........not very good, but not horrible either, but I sure had fun and received a great education in paradise. I have always felt extremely fortunate and lucky.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    May 5, 2012 9:54 a.m.

"full ride scholly" for golf? Um...do those even exist? Anywhere?

May 5, 2012 9:48 a.m.

@ Duckhunter,

I was recruited by BYU in 1981 to play in their jazz music program. I only listened to their babble because the director of BYU's "Synthesis" jazz band was directed by a great friend of mine Ray Smith. He is a fine man and phenomenal sax player. I chose Utah because it is a much finer program better full ride scholarship and better college education. I graduated in 3 1/2 years and was offered a full ride golf scholarship at UH and received my MBA in economics there..........and, had a blast I can assure you sir! Cheers!

May 5, 2012 9:02 a.m.

BYU was good back then for sure! Much better than our UH team. However, UH is a great school, better than BYU, I had a full ride scholly and lived in paradise! Who wouldn't wanna go to Hawaii for FREE?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 5, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Considering BYU won the Golf National Championship in the early 80's, when utah-hawaii claims to have been "recruited" to play there, I don't think BYU missed his "talents" all that much.

• jvs OREM, UT
    May 4, 2012 9:08 p.m.

Hey Utah-Hawaii Alum, I didn't know Utah had a golf team. That was a good recruting decision!! BYU must not have really been interested, who would make the decision to play golf at Utah if they had a real offer from BYU

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2012 5:45 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum needs to take a deep breath and calm down. If the Honor Code offends you, you were not as pleased as BYU that you chose to attend another school. Thanks for taking the other side.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    May 4, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Braxton, your comments show a very large gap in NCAA football knowledge. Have you never heard of other athletes transferring from one school to another? Have you never heard of RM's playing their entire career at schools other than Utah or BYU? How many do I need to list for you to stop putting your foot in your mouth?

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    May 4, 2012 1:45 p.m.

To the FLoridian (Pac12commish): You are too far away to see how the Utah schools match up. There are plenty of problems for you to fix in that state, aren't there? Do you have interschool transfers there? Is Central Florida taking over the football spotlight? How does that feel? For that matter, how about Urban's move to the midwest. He has already run out of friends with his antics there.

May 4, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Phoenix, honestly I'm not sure it's Utah who is pulling the plug. I don't think BYU wants to waste a valuable September slot on a small school when they could be playing a Texas even if it is on the road or on a two for one basis.

• jallielj San Diego, CA
    May 4, 2012 10:02 a.m.

I've seen this kid play since high school and he's a legit talent. BYU passed on him because they passed on his big brothers, AJ and Trevor, and we know what a mistake it was to pass on Trevor. He's up a the U killing it!

I'm glad to hear Drew wants into BYU and CSU let him go. I will say that I heard through the grapevine that his release was NOT unconditional. There were a few schools that CSU blocked, the schools on their schedule. So I'd back of Chow, if he doesn't want one of his former players playing against him I don't blame him.

Drew has the size, speed and passion to be a player at the Y. You don't call someone a quitter who is a starting DI safety and wants a better life for himself, you call him brilliant and gutsy - the perfect player for the BYU program.

• jallielj San Diego, CA
    May 4, 2012 10:00 a.m.

If anyone is interested in a few highlights from his Freshman year at CSU check out youtube

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    May 3, 2012 8:39 p.m.

"Utah schedules a cupcake 1st game every season, like most major programs do. Utah also has contracts with the second best program in Utah......Utah State."

It's good to see that you're finally beginning to accept reality that you're only the 3rd best program in Utah. Obviously, you've still got a few rationalization issues to work out before you're willing to admit that the Utes are running away from the Cougars with your redtailed feathers between your legs.

Spin it anyway that helps you sleep at night, but, unlike the Buffs who have extended their rivalry with CSU to 2020, the Utes are chickening out their rival.

May 3, 2012 6:56 p.m.

Utah schedules a cupcake 1st game every season, like most major programs do. Utah also has contracts with the second best program in Utah......Utah State. BYU is a struggling WAC mid-major, so why should we play them only every once in a while? Utah is getting ready to schedule a Big 10 home and home series. Oregon just inked a deal with Michigan State. That is why Utah will DUMP BYU. And, I am thrilled about it. Cheers!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 3, 2012 6:43 p.m.

9/15 will indeed be a very sad day if you are wearing red. At least it won't be a conference loss.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:27 p.m.

"Jordan Wynn went down and we had to play a D2 QB for most of the season."

Blame that on K-Whitless for converting all of his QB recruits to other positions and leaving his QB cupboard bare with nothing but an injured, injury-prone starter. If Chow hadn't been smart enough to see the gaping hole in K-Whit's QB roster, the Utes would have been stuck playing one of those pathetic QBs from spring practice.

btw, BYU also played their backup QB most of the season, but unlike K-Whit, Bronco was smart enough to have a well-stocked QB cupboard.

If BYU is such a pushover, why are the Utes running away from BYU to play teams like Northern Colorado?

May 3, 2012 5:10 p.m.

@ Uteanonymous, Jordan Wynn went down and we had to play a D2 QB for most of the season. Plus, 2011 was a rebuilding year for the Utes. Now, 2012 and the foreseeable future looks great for Utah.............We will crush BYU again this year.

May 3, 2012 5:01 p.m.

@ Veritas, well sir, I have a poster of the Beibs on the ceiling of my bedroom. He also autographed my left chest.........I didn't shower for 4 months after that! I think I'll eat a can of Walmart brand Spaghetti-Os tonight.

And yes, Jimmy Mac was the real deal for sure!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 3, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

"Big 10 games are in Utah's future!"

What you're really saying is that 2011 provided a reality check for utedom that perennial middle of the pac, losing conference records will be the norm from now on, so the only way Utah was going to qualify for a bowl was to schedule a bunch of OOC patsies. Now that the pac is forcing Utah to play a Big 10 team as one of those OOC opponents, there'll be lots of bowless seasons ahead for the Utes.

GOTTA love it baby!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 3, 2012 4:42 p.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum

What we want to know is how do you feel about Justin Beiber, and what are you eating for dinner.

BTW, Jim McMahon was a stud, so posting that was exciting, but not really more than "twitterable"....

May 3, 2012 3:50 p.m.

@ WON84, no sir, I was a very gifted shadow boxer like jan Jorgensen and later went on to sell peanuts and cotton candy at Utah Jazz games like Max Hall does now. Thanks for asking though. Cheers!

May 3, 2012 3:30 p.m.

"Utah-Hawaii Alum
    Dallas, TX
    When BYU recruited me...............YIKES! That meeting lasted less than 3 minutes.......a waste of my time!"

I'm guessing by your comments you were a 5 star DB that turned down USC?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Way to go Drew. Looks like you Aimed High!

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    May 3, 2012 2:01 p.m.

You gotta love how obsessed these ute fans are Utah-Hawaii Alum chris b you all know who you are. it took 3 articles (Reilly, McKay J. and Nick E. ) to reach 161 comments and it took 16 articles to reach 113 comments on the utes side so who is irrelevant and I only counted the ones that have comments sad so very sad

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 3, 2012 1:53 p.m.

Can Utah Hawaii Alum just get a twitter account?

That way, when any old idea randomly pops into his head, he can tweet it, rather than wasting our time on a story about Drew Reilly with stories about the 1980's, his family background, and how he enjoyed college thirty years ago?

May 3, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Tanner Mangum is Jake Heaps part deux. I saw his pathetic performance in the Under Armour game......two picks, should have been five. I'm glad he will be at BYU, so Utah State can eat his lunch. Utah won't be scheduling BYU........Big 10 games are in Utah's future! Ya GOTTA love it baby!

• History Freak Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 3, 2012 10:52 a.m.

I happen to know that the coaching staff at Utah was ELATED when Norm Chow left. Unfortunately, that player that wanted to transfer from Hawaii to BYU had to deal with Chow instead of someone who has the best interest of his players at heart.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 10:38 a.m.

The anti-BYU troll comments are as telling as Reilly's decision. You can tell a person's character by their friends, or in this case by their enemies.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Congratulations for focusing on what matters in life. Long after the BCS becomes irrelevant, as if it weren't already, your personal journey will be rewarded for your decision. Best wishes from an unapologetic fellow Sunday School boy.

May 3, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Boise, ID
    It is good he found a slot at BYU because I doubt he could have made the team at Boise State.:)"

Boise has done more with less. There is no question.

They may also occasionally do better in recruiting but, for the most part if there is a Tanner Mangum available he is going to pick BYU over Boise.

May 3, 2012 10:19 a.m.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2012 10:14 a.m.

I agree with Braxton. On a case by case basis I don't really blame kids that want to transfer to better fit their situation. But I wish it wasn't the trend that it seems to be. It will affect the marginal LDS athlete the most. The kid who just want to go to school on a scholarship, but less and less schools will give him a good look because they don't want to deal with the hassle. I don't blame any of the athletes that want to transfer, but you can't really blame coaches who would discourage a mission and athletes from transfering either.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2012 10:13 a.m.

" going from CSU to BYU is a lateral move while trying to earn a spot at Utah would be a challenge."

Hmph...it obviously wasnt a big deal for his brother Trevor to walk on at Utah and not only get a scholly but also get significant playing time to boot on a defense ranked merely in the top 40. Judging by the actions of both Drew & ute player Trevor, they both seemed to have realized that they had utah as an easy fall-back option if it proved too difficult finding an opportunity with Bronco's 13th ranked defense.

Possibly Trevor is suffering from a case of buyers remorse seeing as how he personally drove Drew down to BYU first. He was probably thinking, "Lets start with your Cadillac plan first at BYU and then we'll work our way down the list to the guaranteed-in-the-bag options like utah State, Weber, Utah, SUU, Dixie, etc."

May 3, 2012 10:10 a.m.

When BYU recruited me.............as I examined the bland, uninteresting curriculum, found out that i was required to take 16 semester hours of religion courses, was required to have a continual religious advisor to approve me, then read the "honor code" demands................deal breaker. I actually laughed, then my mom slapped me because of what I said the the BYU dept. head.......very funny scenario. I'm way glad that I went to Utah and Hawaii. I got a great education and had a blast!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 3, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Hi Drew!

Welcome to Cougar Nation!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 3, 2012 8:30 a.m.

BYU may have some advantages with missionaries, but it works two ways because of the honor code.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    May 3, 2012 8:26 a.m.

May 3, 2012 8:01 a.m.

I think BYU needs a gazillion more guys like Jim McMahon again........the coolest athlete to ever attend that school by far!

May 3, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Braxton, your comments really sound of "I hate the fact that BYU is going to benefit from LDS transfers more than Utah." BYU is a church run school. This should be no surprise at all honestly.

May 3, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I remember when I was recruited by UH, Ed Chui, the golf coach, specifically asked if I was LDS, and if so, how LDS was I? We had zero LDS golfers on our team........and I think I know why. Being a "Romney" from SLC, Utah originally...........I've ALWAYS gotten all sorts of questions like that throughout my life. It gets quite comical many times. Cheers!

May 3, 2012 7:15 a.m.

@ Braxton, very well said sir. What you say is a fact. It also happened back in the early 1980s when I was on the UH golf team.

May 3, 2012 7:08 a.m.

@ worf, You can have all the Sunday school boys you want. BYU is loaded with them. I'm pleased to see that Utah's latest and greatest recruiting is resembling the "complexion" of a perennial Alabama squad, or the likes. I think the Utes will crush the "Sunday school boys" again on 9-15-12. Goooooooooo Utes!

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:40 a.m.

"Trevor, who signed with Texas Tech out of high school, found himself at Utah following his own mission service and encouraged Drew to seek out opportunities at both Utah or BYU in order to find a better fit for him socially."

"This is really telling of his character. I would be cautious of this kid."

"The truth hurts... BYU does not have the talent to be among the elite..."

So if Drew had decided to go to Utah instead of BYU, the same trolls who are questioning this kid's "character" and "talent", would be extolling the virtues of his sound decision making and his amazing athletic ability.

The finite mind of the hill trolls never ceases to amaze.

Welcome to Cougar Nation Drew!

• Braxton ogden, ut
    May 3, 2012 1:54 a.m.

The sad truth is a trend has been set by these athletes that have a negative impact on future LDS athletes. A growing issue that BYU and Bronco have created. Many programs outside of Utah will not recruit LDS athletes because there is a high probability they will want to transfer back to Utah, in most cases BYU after they return 3 examples that come to mind, Nelson, Wadsworth and Reilly. Coach Chow is doing the right thing. The kid made a commitment and they should honor that commitment. I'm sure Reilly lived in an environment for two years that he had to rely on his up bringing and moral beliefs to see him through. Staying at CSU could provide many missionary opportunities for him. His selfish decision will impact other future missionaries from being recruited. BYU coaches must end this and encourage these young athletes to honor their commitments.

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    May 3, 2012 1:00 a.m.

Speaking as an outsider "from across the pond," can I say that all of this BYU / U of U bickering appears very childish, and unnecessary. Just accept the fact that some athletes will find a better fit at BYU whilst others will feel more comfortable au University of Utah. There is no shame or dishonour in either.

I played God's sport of Rugby League in a town where there are two professional teams. I was fortunate enough to play on one of them in my youth, and had many friends who played for the other, and also some friends who supported the other. I didn't think any less of them, and they still liked me. Whenever we played our rivals the friends from the other camp always wanted me to play well, but for my team to lose. I wanted my friends that played for the other team to do well, but for us to win. When we didn't play them, I wanted them to beat whoever they played, and vice-versa.

Learn to get along. You have more that unites you than that divides you.

I hope both Reilly brothers go on to have stellar careers.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    May 3, 2012 12:05 a.m.

@Chris B

What do you consider to be a good team? Assuming that you do not consider BYU to be a good team, then Utah hasn't beaten a good team in the last two years either (and they haven't played as many).

You do, however, seem to have a knack for losing to bad teams. Would you like to list that stat?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 2, 2012 11:12 p.m.

After the hazing death in Florida, and bounty hunting in New Orleans, I'll take Sunday School boys and the honor code any day.

May 2, 2012 10:54 p.m.

This kid is great...........Provo, Utah is the greatest town on earth. I am going to move there ASAP........Dallas, Texas is too boring for me.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Classy move by CSU head coach releasing Drew from his scholorship at CSU. Im happy for Drew, he seems like a good kid and he found a place where he will fit in and feel comfortable with the atmosphere. And of course im looking forward to seeing him play at BYU.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Glad he was able to switch to BYU without the CSU Coach blocking him.

Once again, it is all about the student. We don't need more coaches and administrators manipulating the lives of kids.

They should be free to go without hoping the coach doesn't block them.

Satan had a plan that was all about control.

It is time to change these rules!

• Braxton ogden, ut
    May 2, 2012 9:15 p.m.

The big picture is that these kids like Wadsworth, Nelson , Reilly and several others before them make it difficult for others to get recruited. What coach out side of Utah would want to recruit a kid who has a desire to fulfill a mission? The attitude is once they return, they will want to transfer. Way to set the stage ( sarcasm inserted). Just gives serving an LDS mission a bad rap with schools outside of Utah. Way to go Norm Chow who gets it. If there were more coaches like Chow, we would see a decrease in this behavior. I hope one day they will think about what their actions do to the future kids.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    May 2, 2012 8:21 p.m.

Drew after reading these comments by ute fans, aren't you glad you chose BYU? Welcome to Cougar Nation! Your brother is a class act too. Sad that ute fans don't recognize he's a "sunday school boy" too.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 2, 2012 7:07 p.m.

So are you concerned about his borthers character as well? YOu know the guy that actually encouraged him to check out either BYU or utah? You know the kid that had already transferred to utah after his mission?

My guess is no.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    May 2, 2012 5:36 p.m.

This is really telling of his character. I would be cautious of this kid.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 2, 2012 5:24 p.m.

The fans of both BYU and Utah could learn a thing or two from this story. Coaches like Chow could learn something from the CSU coach as well. Good luck to the kid.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Good move. Too bad brother didn't go in and meet Bronco.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Chris B

I'll take BCS athletes over sunday school boys anyday

You'll take anything you can get...character or not.

Sometimes things just go right in the world.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Coaches can leave for other schools anytime they want without having to wait a year before coaching again. The NCAA treats students like unpaid slaves.

They should not be punished when the school they chose doesn't meet their needs.

If a student athlete plays below average, the school can take away their scholarship. Student athletes have rights.

They should not have to wait a year to play after their transfer.

I hate the NCAA and the BCS. Both 501c3's need to be declared for profit corporations and athletes should be paid if their skills can demand it.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:42 p.m.

It's all about securing the right fit for the student athlete and the school. Congratulations to Drew, BYU and CSU for doing the right thing.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:17 p.m.

The CSU coach sounds like a class act. Good on him to have in mind what is best for the individual. Really, sometimes a change of scenery is needed. I think this will be good for Reilly, just as I think Heaps will do better at Kansas. I think the high expectations of Heaps at the QB spot (despite his inexperience at the college level) and the culture shock were too much for him. It's good to see coaches like that today. All the best to Reilly.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:15 p.m.

The truth hurts. Every time I bring it up. Byu does not have the talent to be among the elite(see undefeated seasons, BCS games, BCS wins....).

byu was good 30 years ago because of innovative offensive minds. Unfortunately, coaching has caught up and surpassed you many years ago and the "athletic disparity" shall we say is shown when byu matches up against speed(see byu's 0-8 record against good teams the past 2 years)

But let me say something nice about byu:

I have full confidence you can win another WAC championship this year.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:56 p.m.

Let's be honest here, the reason is SOCIAL. An RM in Colorado can find an LDS social scene, but it is still much better at the Utah schools. Also the U and Y both deal with the "older" students better, they understand that these young men are not 18 anymore and have some maturity.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:39 p.m.

Dear Crowntownl Don't confuse the state of Colorado with CSU. He didn't say he wasn't living the lifestyle he wanted, he just said it was difficult at a party school. It is always easier when you are surrounded with people who think and act like you.

When you attend a college and drinking is high on the priority list, with everyone encouraging you and inviting you to participate and lower your standards the wise person moves on. Who needs to listen to this type of talk and see this action on a daily basis. It sounds like he has better things to think about than what is happening at CSU. For most people an honorable mission does readjust your priorities.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:22 p.m.

@AZRods +1

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:20 p.m.

@Chris B is now recycling comments. Have you made so many posts on BYU articles that you have run out of new material?

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    May 2, 2012 3:15 p.m.

chrisb, better check the results of BCS teams in bowls the past few years before you bash sunday school boys.
    Or are we talking about something else? ahmmm

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 2, 2012 3:07 p.m.

As a former student at both CSU and BYU, I can tell you there are huge atmosphere and social differences between the two and that is not a slam on either school. It depends on what you want in your life (or don’t want).

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:03 p.m.

I'll take BCS athletes over sunday school boys anyday

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Trust me, if you're number 36, your not very good. Just Kidding.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:39 p.m.

Sounds like a good kid. He should get to play where he wants to play.

Good luck to him.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:35 p.m.

"Trevor, who signed with Texas Tech out of high school, found himself at Utah following his own mission service and encougared Drew to seek out opportunities at both Utah or BYU in order to find a better fit for him socially."

So this kid's brother transferred from TT to the U after his mission, and then encouraged his brother to leave CSU and look at Utah and BYU. Where is the outrage by Ute fans? How could the U steal an athlete from another program, and how could one of their athletes encourage another to do the same?

Horrible! Criminal! Unconscionable!

Or is it just not OK when it's BYU? Or maybe it's just a fact of life in college football and you should stop making fools out of yourselves by making a big deal out of it when it happens.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Sounds like a good player. Are there any other Reillys in high school?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    May 2, 2012 2:28 p.m.

He's having a tough time living the LDS lifestyle in Colorado???

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    May 2, 2012 2:06 p.m.

I don't blame Trevor for sitting out in the parking lot. I mean you don't want your own coach thinking your recruiting for your former rival. It was very cool that he let his brother choose.

Pac 12 commish: You ruined a cool story with a stupid comment.

• EagleMountainUte EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Good luck to this RM. He obviously found what he liked in Provo and coach Mendenhall. Like it or not for Ute and BYU fans, some of the young men gravitate to Mendenhall and some to Whittingham. Very different personalities and manners in which they coach the young men they are over. Both have had success where they are and expect good things from their players.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 2, 2012 1:51 p.m.

I am very happy that Norm Chow is not the BYU coach, or I'd have to change my colors to red.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Hopefully a coach would be man enough, like CSU's coach, to let a player go if they asked. Surely it is never a decision that the young man on scholarship makes on a whim. Beside that, do you really want to use one of your scholarships on a player if his heart isn't completely in it? A coach that can't see that frankly needs to grow up.

And I'm glad someone in Miami has enough time on his hands to 1) pay attention to an article about his rival and 2) try to egg on the rival by saying something as stupid as he did!

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    May 2, 2012 1:28 p.m.

Good for him. At the end of the day, it is about the players...although it would be fun to have another brother duo on the hill!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 2, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Even though I'm a BYU fan and BYU got this kid I'm just glad to hear whenever someone today is willing to potentially sacrifice a lot in order to keep true to self and values. Good for him for choosing to change his situation to something that fit with his needs.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    May 2, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Happy for him. I know his family - especially his grandfather and I wish him well. CSU is known as one of the top party schools so I understand his desire to re-locate.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    May 2, 2012 12:27 p.m.

CSU's coach knows that it's about the players...bottom line. Reilly had sincere reasons for wanting to transfer, so I congratulate CSU's coach for keeping his players' best interest in mind.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 2, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Ann Arbor, MI
    Interesting. Yet another mormon athlete being stolen away.

Yet, Hedge, and his older brother was "stolen" by Utah.

The kids made an important decision based upon what was in their best interest at this particular time in their lives.

I don't think the word "stolen" is appropriate in these cases... (Unless, you are a negative person, bitter about life, looking to make everthing and everyone around you as dreary as your own pathetic situation...)

• Pac12commish Miami, Florida
    May 2, 2012 11:55 a.m.

He will be happy at byu. Glad KWhitt didn't offer him a scholarship. Going from CSU to byu is a lateral move, while trying to earn a spot at Utah would be a challenge.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    May 2, 2012 11:55 a.m.

it's too bad that Norm Chow doesn't have the class of the CSU coach!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 2, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Before any of my blue brethren embarrass themselves, obviously the U is a place where a faithful football player can find spiritual fulfillment. This one worked out well for us.

Courageously done! Hope to hear good things about you in the future!