BYU Cougars in Congress seek to preserve Y on mountain

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    April 30, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Whoa Nellie!

My wife and I just celebrated 20 years of wedded bliss...the family tradition hasn't been too bad. My wife works and wears pants; we are shocking modernists, I know! My daughter just finished her freshman year at BYU. She wants to go on a mission like her mother did, so you will have to wait a few years to be appalled by her proposal. I'll keep you updated.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 29, 2012 5:55 p.m.

All this proves is Chaffetz needs a decent nights sleep that cot in his office just isn't working out.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    April 28, 2012 10:09 a.m.

I don't uderstand why if that was not the land of BYU did they put the U on property they didn't own. Sounds to me now that this is a big bunch of garbage to have a Congressman from Utah try to force the Govtment to sell land and a waste of taxpayer's money when there is more important problem for the Congress to be dealing with the countrie's growing problems. Just leave it stand as it's for now. Alot have chance in the area I grew up in, but I still know when I drive back home to visit I don't need the reminder that aren't their anymore that were taken down they will live in my heart to the day I die.

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 27, 2012 8:56 a.m.

not a huge fan of huge letters on mountains... but I suppose for some it's an interesting landmark. Imagine tearing down the HOLLYWOOD sign... I imagine some BYUbies feel that way about the Y.

Eventually some housing developer's gonna want to build mansions all the way up and over it, anyhow... (case in point: Bountiful) :)

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    April 27, 2012 12:01 a.m.

"BYU used to own Y Mountain and the surrounding property, he said. It's unclear when or why the federal government took over ownership of the land."

• P Central, Utah
    April 26, 2012 11:33 p.m.

As a possibility if the special legislation doesn't work, the USFS already has the right to exchange lands with the State or individuals. Therefore if you can locate and acquire a piece of property needed to solve a government management problem, ie a piece of property that blocks public access to another parcel of public land.

Buy it and trade it to the government and are the winner both ways. There are many organizations or States which have made exchanges very inviting and supported by the government. In fact in the right place, it might be hard for the government to resist.

Compenent rural appraisers could help establish the values of the various properties for the needs of an exchange.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Hate to side with the Cougars, but I agree that both the Y and U are important landmarks that should be protected.

• JimmyJackJohnJones Jonestown, TX
    April 26, 2012 4:47 p.m.

A waste of time. There is no effort going on to block access or remove the Y, so why is this necessary? The "Church" gave up ownership of the land years ago, why does it want it back now? This looks to me like more efforts to assert control over government land. And what is the church's record with access after it acquires public property? This is just Chaffetz poking a stick in the Fed's eye, hoping to gain favor with the public. Complete waste of time. I hope congress is smart enough to kill it before it gets out of committee. Surely the Senate won't give it the time of day.

• Paul H West Valley, UT
    April 26, 2012 4:35 p.m.

I quite enjoy driving around the state, seeing all of the high school or town letters on the hills above them. It is part of the identity of each of those communities.
    Keep it up. U, Y, or whatever!

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    April 26, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Seems like nobody gets the point.Everyone arguing about removing the Y and that's not even on the table. It's about congressmen introducing very narrow legislation to benefit a special interest group. Not sure I agree with the congress getting involved to sell 80 acres of land so that it will be more convenient to maintain the Y.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    April 26, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Utah's politicians are pathetic. Chaffetz and Lee are a joke at best. Orrin Hatch has always been Utah's liability as well.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    April 26, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Pugman -- I *wish* we could take back our country ... from you.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:56 p.m.

This makes more sense than passing an anti-idling law in SLC, who claims their officers don't have time to round up illegals or dangerous fugitives. But, will have time to stop and time your idling car for 2 minutes so they can ticket you.

So instead of 1 idling car, we'll have two idling cars but in the end the demos get more money.

• Jumpyman Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:47 p.m.

If you look at the existing letters on the mountains between Salt Lake and Provo, we just need Lindon to put up an "L". That will give us U - G - L -Y

As it stands now, it is just U-G-Y.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 26, 2012 11:47 a.m.

So BYU used to own the land but now the Federal Government owns it?

Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 17 of the US Constitution enumerates the purposes for which the Federal Government can own land in the states and the conditions under which they may purchase it.

One of the primary requirements is that the legislature of the state where the land is located must approve the sale.

If the Utah legislature did not approve the Feds purchase of the land then the sale is null and void.

(Fat chance getting the Feds to abide by this constitutional requirement.)

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    April 26, 2012 11:44 a.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin- The trail up the Y is so wide a graded you can get up it in a 4WD vehicle. I think it is safe to say that no groups have ever had to be helicopter rescued from the Y.
    BTW, the top of the Y is not the end of the trail. A trail takes off from there and goes up Slide Canyon, which is a delight in it's own respect-providing you are willing to pay the 2500 foot vertical price of admission.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 11:28 a.m.

All of these letters including high schools and the U in Salt Lake should be removed and the mountains restored to their natural beauty.

• Soul Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:45 a.m.

The "Y" is a work of art. If you want nature restored, try removing the I-15 freeway first?

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:16 a.m.

Who cares? This is a political move in a political season and again everyone gets all worked up over nothing.
    From a practical aspect, it would in my opinion be more destructive environmentally to remove the "y". I don't feel it is "hideous" as suggested by Riddles in the Dark but it is a non factor in my life.

• Herr Jones Kansas City, MO
    April 26, 2012 10:13 a.m.

The Y looks best when it's painted RED!!!

• Jumpyman Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:51 a.m.

If there was a L on the mountain in Lindon, then between Salt Lake and Provo there would be four letters on the mountian: U - G - L -Y. For now it is only UGY.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Since Congress isn't doing anything else this month, why not pass a few of these money-maker bills?

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:15 a.m.

I hope for your daughter's sake some MAN will propose to her before she has the gumption to carry on family tradition.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    April 26, 2012 9:14 a.m.

Ogden? I think not.

• Foxtrot Mountain View, CA
    April 26, 2012 9:00 a.m.

I didn't say that something shouldn't be done about preserving the Y. I don't really care about that. What I care about is our elected officials spending his time on "problems" that are 10,000 order issues.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Re: Foxtrot

You folks in California voted in Govenor Jerry Brown for a 2nd round of incompetence. Enough said!

Re: Ricardo Carvalho

So I guess that you would also say that all houses, ski resorts and other things built on the mountains should come down too.

Re: Ernest T. Bass

Why Not? By the way, how is Andy, Barney, Gomer and the all the gang doing these days?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 26, 2012 8:58 a.m.

I'm all for the Y on the side of the mountain. My only suggestion would be to ad the letters W and H infront of the Y.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 26, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Either remove the Y from the mountain, or force BYU grads to fund the search and rescue teams that have to helicopter BYU family home evening groups off the mountain several times a year.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:34 a.m.

Pugman: You forgot about how the collapse in 08 was Obama's fault.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:32 a.m.

"I am a Utah Man sir..." but I still like seeing it as I drive through the Provo area. My question echoes a previous comment, how did the feds get the land in the first place if BYU owned it? any bill of sale? or did they just confiscate it.

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    April 26, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Every time I fly into Utah County, I look for that beautiful "Y" on the mountain. It is like a beacon calling me home. I spent homecoming guarding the "Y" and turning on the lights when I was a student. My wife proposed to me 20 years ago on he "Y". The history of the "Y" is fascinating; the human trains that carried the materials and white-wash inspirational. Maybe my daughter will propose to some lucky young man up on the "Y".

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:23 a.m.

• JohnH Cedar City, UT
    April 26, 2012 8:21 a.m.

These letters on mountain sides are a tradition in the West, and I love them. Leave the Y alone.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 26, 2012 7:58 a.m.

"Don't tattoo your body with letters, but it is ok to do it to nature?
    Doesn't make sense."

While we're at it, let's stop building homes. Doing so requires that we remove trees and nature, and requires us do dig big holes, strip wood from trees, and raking up the ground. We wouldn't rake our own bodies, so why do it to nature?

Don't you think that if it was so immoral, the church would not have done it?

It's a landmark and doesn't detract from the beauty of the mountains. Just leave it.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    April 26, 2012 6:53 a.m.

The libs are out in force on this one. They could careless about an irresponsible president who's selling this country down the road, but there care and compassion about the land ia a joy to behold. Let's not tatoo the land. But let's teach every American that's it's okay to sit on their duff and get handouts from the American taxpayers. The American taxpayers that have jobs and pay taxes. Oh...let's not forget...we're going to get those evil rich people who have worked hard to excel and acheive....because I'm entitled to it. Why not try contributing something to this nation other than electric cars, bamboo homes, and a $42.00 light bulb that when turned on the moths aren't even attracted to.

• RicoS Orem, UT
    April 26, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Some people look at that mountain and say, "Y?"...

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    April 26, 2012 6:12 a.m.

that cant happen they are a pac-whatever school now (tounge in cheek, total sarcasm)

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    April 26, 2012 5:36 a.m.

Look at the timing of this move by Chaffetz. This proposal is nothing more than another of his election year attention-grabbing self agrandizing moves. Chaffetz, as our House Rep, is the most worthless Congressional Representative as I have seen in my 32 years of voting. When not running for reelection he does nothing but regurgitate his party agenda instead of actually serving the interests of his constituency.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    April 26, 2012 4:53 a.m.

As a Provo native and BYU grad, all I can say is thank goodness the B and the U were never put up there. That would have been a horrible eye sore. I agree with those who would rather see the Y removed (I thought I would be the only one). I always hated that scar on the mountain. It looks awful. The mountain would look much better without it (and that also goes for the U in SLC). We don't need to scar up the mountains to make our monuments. They are no more appealing than a tattoo. YUCK!

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    April 26, 2012 1:04 a.m.

So, we have to pay for something we originally owned? BYU needed some good lawyers at some point it would appear, must be why they developed the Law School. Hope that the Congress can accomplish it, haven't seen them successfully doing much lately. Guess we have to hope for the little victories, maybe they can use the little victories to build their confidence up to attack some more complicated problems.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 26, 2012 12:26 a.m.

@ Foxtrot

I'm happy to support Congress doing this. I'd rather have them do this than monkey with Commerce, Education, Immigration, Defense/War/Armed Forces, Healthcare, International Trade, Foreign Aid, Banking regulations, Environment, etc etc etc. At least this action will have a positive outcome, rather than the millions (no trillions) of dollars they waste and their refusal to act in so meny critical areas.

They have taken care of their own interests, like retirement and healthcare over the years, but that's about all they have done.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 25, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Mount Olympus

Start with removing that hideous block U from the hill, then we'll talk about removing the Y from Y mountain.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 10:32 p.m.

Well, God made us without clothes. What's your stance on that? And heaven forbid any mountain have a human addition such as, oh, a temple. And maybe God wants the Y on the side the mountain. In fact, Arthur Henry King referred to BYU as 'Universitas Dei'.

• keola787 Los Angeles, CA
    April 25, 2012 9:37 p.m.

Since the Obama administration is so hostile to religion and development, who can blame anyone from trying to preserve a long tradition.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    April 25, 2012 9:34 p.m.

Re: Ricardo Carvalho

I agree with you.

Don't tattoo your body with letters, but it is ok to do it to nature?
    Doesn't make sense.

• mcdugall Layton, UT
    April 25, 2012 9:16 p.m.

"Split ownership complicates maintenance and long-term management, which ultimately puts public access at risk," Chaffetz said. Congress should spend time resolving something that is a non-issue? I think there are more pressing issues this country faces, ie. high unemployment, health care, and national security issues.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    April 25, 2012 9:07 p.m.

I am a BYU grad who would prefer to see it removed. My personal view is that mountains look better the way God made them rather than with human additions such as the Y.

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    April 25, 2012 8:16 p.m.

This is something that I as a Utahn and a graduate of BYU want to see happen. It's a part of the culture and I have enjoyed hiking the Y with friends and family. Using the word "pandering" is just a classic cynic's attempt to cheapen something one does not agree with or feel passionate about. Thanks to these fellow BYU alumni for remembering their old stomping grounds.

Raise your colors high in the BLUE and cheer the Cougars of B-Y-U, Rah Rah Rah Rah Rah, Rah Rah Rah Rah Rah, Rah Rah Rah Rah Rah, Gooooooooo Cougars!!!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 7:33 p.m.

You think congressmen doing what a good percentage of Utah wants is a waste of time?

• Foxtrot Mountain View, CA
    April 25, 2012 7:01 p.m.

What a waste of time for a Congressman. Pandering. Plain and simple.