Utah

Mia Love on Jim Matheson: 'He'll have a hard time putting me in a box'

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 28, 2012 4:45 p.m.

If Sharon Haddock was right in her article "Political novice lovin' it: Councilwoman is first black woman to serve in county" from the Deseret News, Sep. 27, 2004, than Mia Love has been in Utah since 1997. What is less clear in that article is whether from it we learn that Mia Love married no sooner than 1997 or no latter. I have always read the article to assume that the They that moved to Saratoga Springs "seven years ago" (calculated from Sepetember 2004, thus about Sep. 1997) was Jason and Mia Love. That is my guess still, but the sentance before had mentioned that initially Mia tried to set Jason up with her roommate, so it is not 100% clear what the antecedent of they is. It still seems a little odd that someone in a community for seven years is described as a newcomer. The article at times also displays the dangerous practice of assuming change in phrase is worth while. That is the only way to explain the sentance that mentions her one-year-old daughter and four-year-old child. She was first elected to office in 2003.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 27, 2012 9:38 p.m.

Mrs. Love is not "a person from the outside". To make such a bizarre claim is just to miss the truth. It is just plain racist to describe her as such. She has lived in Saratorga Springs for longer than most of its residents. In fact she has been in public office in Saratoga Springs for most of that communities history. While being raised in New York and Connecticut might not be the most common in Utah County, I would guess the majority of non-students in Utah County between the ages of 30 and 40, the age range Mrs. Love is in and a very important voting demographic there grew up at least in part outside of Utah. This demographic, which Mrs. Love is in, is key to Utah County because the population drops off much over 40 (due to effects of large-scale population growth) and under 30 voting rates drop off.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    April 25, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Mia Love is exactly what Utah needs. She is an outsider who has the best interest of Utah citizens in mind over Utah special interest. We can only hope that she stands strong as now the special interests in the Republican establishment begin their attempts at manipulating her into yet another pawn.

Kirkham said. "But what is the tea party? The tea party is, 'quit spending all our money, be responsible.'"

Sorry David Kirkham but you hurt your standing with me as a true Tea Partier when you backed Herbert at the convention.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    April 25, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Wow! like others have said, I just wish I was in her district and could vote for her. I really think she has a good chance to take out the Democrat in a year where I believe there will be a continuation of what was begun in the 2010 election. From what I've read about her,she would be a great addition to the Congress and a great Representative of the State of Utah.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Jim is a fine person. It is time for change. Let's see a woman can do. We've seen what a man can do and won't do.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    April 24, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Doing away with the Dept of Education would be a wonderful thing. It certainly isn't a way out idea. They do nothing for for education except create a huge debt. If I were in her district I would vote for her. I like Matheson but I'm for change any time we can come up with a good candidate. Change is great. Hatch should be changed as well. I like him but he has been in too long.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    April 24, 2012 3:48 p.m.

The best thing going for Mia is that she made Carl Wimmer unemployed! He can now join Chris Buttars and Dave Clark and get a job.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    April 24, 2012 3:27 p.m.

I have to agree with Ernie above.

Love could have won the GOP nomination outright had she gone against Hatch for the Senate.

However, have to disagree with Ernie that she should wait to run against Lee. Lee is one lawmaker who we need more of in Washington to reign in the uncontrolled spending by both the GOP and the Democrats.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    April 24, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Mia love is in a box; one custom made for her by the Utah republican party.
    The question is how can Matheson win in such a gerrymandered district.
    regardless of the party gerrymandering is dishonest and unethical.
    Shows the true colors of the republican party.
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• slugworth Hyrum, UT
    April 24, 2012 1:02 p.m.

This woman may shake a good hand and talk a good speech, but she has shown she is completely ignorant on important Congressional issues. Insider trading, anyone?

• tt2sweet Murray, UT
    April 24, 2012 12:41 p.m.

it's time to start voting third party.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 24, 2012 12:01 p.m.

For those of you living in the 4th District the candidate will be subjected to:

Long form birth certificate, please.

Has she ever apologized for anything?

Is she a Christian?

Does she approve of judicial activism by Republican leaning judges?

Exactly where did she go to school?

What were her grades?

Did she have any socialist professors?

Who were her parents?

What are the details of her parents lifestyles, education and various places of residence?

Does she have a gun rack in her vehicle?

Has she ever been to Chicago?

Has she ever vacationed in Hawaii?

Right?

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:31 a.m.

"Esquire": Let's go over this one more time. It is all about a strong stand and clear communication on the side of issues I and many others have already taken; not just wanting Republicans in office. I strongly supported a Democrat candidate once.
    You were right about one thing though. I will gladly vote against Hatch. I am glad he has to go to a primary. And I would vote against "Governor" (Herbert) too, if the alternative was David Kirkham.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:04 a.m.

@ Leesha, then don't vote for Hatch or any other incumbent in November. Will you say that you will gladly vote against Hatch or the Governor? I'm betting this is not about wanting "change" but wanting Republicans.

I will say Matheson should have been more of a Democrat than he has been.

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:32 a.m.

"Esquire": Why can't you just admit that her stands resonate with how a lot of people already feel? Not all of us like what Matheson has done, generally. We want a change. We want someone who will take a clearly stated and strong stand on what we believe in. If you don't like what she says then vote for Matheson, and give us the respect of acknowledging we also are voting for views and principals and not as you say, because she "Gives validation to our persecution complex."

• Te Amo Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:06 a.m.

As long as the people keep voting for Republicans and Democrates the problems won't be solved as they are the problem. With Independents making the laws instead of Democrates and Republicans the taxpayers wouldn't be paying subsidies and depletion allowances. There would be no legal business and corporation lobbies. We would have States Rights and Civil Rights. We wouldn't have the largest portion of our poplulation in prison of any nation in the world. We wouldn't have laws on the books just to make work for lawyers. The insurance companies would be put in their place. We wouldn't be imposing the highest corporate tax rates in the world. We wouldn't be running all the major job makers out of the country. We wouldn't be creating inflation and stealing from the elderly who have tryed to prepare for their retirements with double taxation on their savings. The parasites are Big Government, Lawyers and Insurance companies. We need to get rid of all we can and control what's left. One last thing, this country will never work again without Christ. Allow him back in the Schools.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 24, 2012 8:59 a.m.

How do you determine who is the best candidate?
    Since the Constitution has served us well, when we have followed it, we will want to find the candidate who adheres to it and lives up to their oath of office to "defend the constitution."

If they have a voting record, then we need to check that record and compare it against the Constitution to see if they are following it. How do you do that? Who has the time to do all that research? Google "Freedom Index the New American" and you can download a pdf file and see the research someone else has already done. In viewing the latest issue, on 20 votes regarding constitutional issues and spending, Rep. Matheson scores 40%. In other words, he has voted only 40$ in terms of "defending the constitution."

If they do not have a voting record in Congress do they have a voting record somewhere else?
    Look carefully at Mia Love's record as a mayor and the other positions she may have held. Go to her website and read the Issues to see where she stands. Or simply just ask her.

Its time to SOAR - Save our American Republic.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 8:35 a.m.

Matheson may as well start getting his resume ready.

Maybe he could find a "support" position with the Democratic National Committee. He could advise them on how to "be a democrat, without actually looking like one".

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 24, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Let's be honest, Shurtleff was right. I know the Utah County (and other insulated counties of Utah) culture and how they react to people from the outside who are different but come here and conform to the local society. It gives validation to the locals who have a persecution complex that goes back to the 19th Century. Love is a novelty candidate who only gets attention because she is not like the vast majority of Utahns. I could provide a lot of evidence of the cultural issues involved here, but it won't happen on the pages of this newspaper.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 24, 2012 8:20 a.m.

Vote Matheson. Love should have run for Senate against Hatch, or even better, against Lee.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 8:17 a.m.

I'm in a bit of a quandary on this one.

I'm not a member of any party and have voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past.

I like Matheson as a person and many of his positions. But, though I know much less about Love, what I do know I find very appealing. And, as I lean much closer to Republican ideals than Democrat, I'd love to see their party helped in a general sense.

Hmmm. I'll need to ponder this a bit more. Though, at this stage, I'd say I'm tilting toward Love.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 24, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Matheson votes sometimes with the people of Utah in mind. But when Nancy cracks the whip, he is johnny on the spot. Retire Hatch, retire Matheson.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 24, 2012 6:51 a.m.

Matheson represents the interests of ALL people in Utah, not just those on the far right wing. He votes for what is right, not what is politically expedient. Matheson is a REAL conservative. He's just what Utah needs. I wish I was in his district so I could vote for him. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Bishop.

• trueamerican Indianapolis, IN
    April 24, 2012 6:27 a.m.

Pro gun. Pro conservative. Count me in.

• micawber Centerville, UT
    April 24, 2012 4:45 a.m.

From the article, the only one who seemed to try to put Mia Love "in a box" was Mark Shurtleff. Mr. Matheson commented about two of her positions, but said nothing about her personally.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 24, 2012 4:27 a.m.

Matheson will continue his pattern of mediocrity and misprepresenation of his true record in order to try and convince Utahns he is a conservative. All Mia has to do is expose the games he plays with parliamentary procedure, voting all the way up to final passage and then casting a vote that his leadership allows him to do in order to protect his seat. It's a game he has played for many years.

We need to defeat Matheson and Mia can do. You go girl!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 24, 2012 12:07 a.m.

All ya' need is Love.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    April 23, 2012 10:33 p.m.

Yes! Don't wait, eliminate the Dept of Education today! What a ridiculous waste of money and energy--and it has done nothing for education, nothing at all. Win and we also get rid of this flaming liberal who comes back to Utah every two years and bamboozles the voters into believing he's the conservative, cowboy Democrat. What a farce that has been.

• darthdan West Jordan, UT
    April 23, 2012 10:23 p.m.

@on the other hand

Matheson votes on the democrat line nearly all the time. That's all Mia Love has to say. Matheson can't disagree with that statment. Only once or twice has he parted with the party, and that's when his political survival has depended on it.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    April 23, 2012 9:44 p.m.

Mia Love will have an equally hard time putting Jim Matheson in a box. Unlike Utah's other representatives, Matheson pays more heed to his constituents than to the extreme elements of his party.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 23, 2012 9:36 p.m.

A solid conservative, who is articulate and unapologetic about conservative beliefs.

I think we have a real winner here!

We need lots more like Mia Love to go to Washington and reign in the idiocy that takes place there.

No one I know will be voting for or against any candidate on grouns of race, gender or ethnicity.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    April 23, 2012 8:47 p.m.

I think I will sell my house and move into her district just so I can vote for her.