Utah

Sen. Orrin Hatch forced into primary for first time since '76, faces Dan Liljenquist in June

Howell wins Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate race

Comments

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 26, 2012 6:28 a.m.

Hatch's seniority is invaluable. That alone is why he's worth keeping. He's done so much for Utah. It's time for folks to turn off their talk radio and think in terms of what's best for the state. Hatch is our guy.

• Just Thinking Out Loud Paradise/usa, 00
    April 25, 2012 10:48 p.m.

I'm not a Hatch hater but 36 years is long enough. Hatch's seniority argument is a canard. First, the Republicans would have to take the Senate. Certainly not guaranteed at this point. Then, Hatch would have to take action as a committee chairman different than any other republican in the position. Not likely. I don't like that I've heard more from him since Bennett lost his job than I did for the previous 34 years. I don't like that he did nothing to curb Republicans expanding entitlement spending when they had the house, senate, and presidency. I don't like that the debt ceiling continues to be raised on his watch. I don't like tepid leadership in tough times. I definately don't like Ruth Bader Ginsberg. The senate is in the middle of substancial turn-over lets get a new mind in the game now.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    April 24, 2012 6:13 p.m.

makes me wonder what a republican does during a primary election.
    Being that they care less about the person, just as long as they have an R by their name.
    What do they do when they can just vote straight ticket; and ignore the rest of the ballot?
    But seriously, can we get the republican party to pay for the primary election?
    why do taxpayers have to pay for this fiasco?
    When everyone knows hatch will win by like 90%

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    April 24, 2012 10:10 a.m.

To Kalindra,
    I certainly understand your concern about those of us from outside of Utah commenting on Senator Hatch and his re-election. I have just one question for you, "Where does Sen Hatch generate most of campaign fund from?" I'll give you a hint, it is not from Utah.

• Eric Greene Holladay, UT
    April 23, 2012 8:19 p.m.

What do you call a senator who has been in the senate for 36 years? You call him home.

Everything I hate about our current government originated in the tenure of Senator Hatch. Its one thing to be there when lack of reason prevails; its another to throw your hat in with everyone else.

Hatch has voted for the debt that is now crushing our children.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    April 23, 2012 2:31 p.m.

Please get Hatch out!

He's had his chance to help our State. He's served admirally, but it's time for someone else. New Ideas! Please!

Ask yourself...what is his motivation? When I'm that old, I hope I have the freedom to enjoy my family and such. I don't understand his motives, except that he is addicted to the power that comes with the office.

A true American would allow others the chance to serve. He's selfish to think he's the only person from Utah who cares about or can help Utah.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Re: Deseret News: If you're going to mention FreedomWorks attacking Sen. Hatch, please be fair enough to also mention FreedomPath, American Action Network, and other Hatch-friendly super PACs who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars attacking Liljenquist.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 23, 2012 12:27 p.m.

Cats
    Somewhere in Time, UT
    Interesting that so many who are going to "write liljenquist a check" don't even live in Utah.

============

and Why not?

Hatch isn't from Utah,
    and hasn't lived here in over 36 years.

• carpoolmom SOUTH JORDAN, Salt Lake
    April 22, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Why not write an article titled, Hatch forced into a primary despite the millions he outspent his opponent. Instead the article talks about the money Freedom works gave to oust Hatch. Deseret News is helping Hatch too by writing slanted articles. He has money, the press and all the name people like Mitt. I cannot tell you how happy I am that some people saw through all that and looked at the voting record of Hatch.

• Keeping it Real Provo, UT
    April 22, 2012 4:14 p.m.

HEY IDAHOANS (aka Dan Liljenquist's family), Stay out of our states politics. You're as out of touch as your brother/cousin/son/nephew. I'd be more worried about your own states politicians than sticking your nose where it does not belong. GO HATCH. Dan is so full of hot air, I am surprised he has not floated away. What so sad is Dan put's politics first. Making his wife basically a single Mom raising his 6 kids. If he cannot even take care of the people who should matter most, how can we trust him in Washington. Dan is not the right man to replace Hatch. He has not even been a Utah resident for a decade and he does not give a flip about Hill AFB, the IRS and other high profile employers. If Hill shut down, there would be no Northern Utah economy. My family along with hundreds of thousands of others would be forced to move. Dan could care less about that. He's a shameless self-promoter and the most conceded politician I have ever witnessed. Wake up people!!

• Paul from Bountiful Bountiful, UT
    April 22, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Just maxed out for the Liljenquist campaign. His speech at convention was powerful! I applaud the state delegates for doing their homework and forcing a primary so we can all have a say in this race. Senator Hatch spent the last two years and $7 Million dollars building a delegate base for the state convention. He spent more out-of-state money than all the PACs combined. It still didn't work. Dan's message resonated with the state delegates and will now resonate with the rest of the citizens of Utah! The Senate is changing. 49 Senators have turned over since 2005 and 10 more Senators are retiring this year. There is a youth movement taking place in the Senate. Hatch's old guard are all retiring. Hatch's influence is shrinking, not growing. These new Senators are building coalitions and relationships with each other, not with the old guard. We need to join the ranks of the new Senators by voting Dan in as our next US Senator from Utah. Let's move Utah forward now rather than getting at the back of the line in 6 years or 12 years whenever Senator Hatch decides to retire!

• sg newhall, CA
    April 22, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Folks, as a former Utahn I congratulate the delegates for voting with their minds than with their loyalty to an old horse like Hatch. Although he has served Utah well, from time to time, it is TIME to send him home now, not after his lame-duck 7th term. He is begging for one more term. Why should we honor him with that? He has done nothing for the country or the state these past 6 years. He continues to line the pockets of his cronies for 36 years. Men who shouldn't grace politics anymore. Hatch keeps those around him who, if the people of the state of Utah really knew them, would be disgusted. If Hatch has a choice between we the people and himself, he would chose himself first. He is tired. He is old. Let Utahns send a message to Congress that seniority is not a prerequisite for re-electability. Hatch is now 'begging' for your votes. Don't give it to him. Make him sweat it out. Utah and the country for that matter needs new blood, new leadership. Utah and the rest of us demand Term Limits across the board.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 22, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@ Kalindra:
    Therein lies a major part of the problem in our country - let's see what is in it for us or our State as opposed to what is best for the entire country. In other words, do we judge our Senators by how much money they can bring back to the state?

Much of this is due to the fact that we are allowing the fed. govt to be in areas that are not constitutionally authorized, otherwise, there would not be all of that money for "earmarks" and "pork". Most of it simply is not constitutional. We must return to the Constitution and its limitations on govt or we will not keep our American Republic for much longer.

@ Peanut Gallery:
    While you are correct about them changing their voting habits as election time rolls around, I find in the Freedom Index at The New American for 2012 that on 20 issues involving the Constitution and run away spending that Sen. Hatch scored 70% in favor of the Constitution and decreased spending while Idaho's Sen. Crapo scored just 65%. Sadly, neither of these gentlemen are doing much to contribute to the restoration of Constitutional principles.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Sen. Crapo's endorsement of Sen. Hatch is only a professional courtesy, and means nothing. If Hatch isn't there, then Crapo will be chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, and he's more conservative than Hatch. Hatch is conservative when it's CONVENIENT to be conservative. Re-election time is a VERY convenient time for him to be conservative and make conservative promises.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 22, 2012 11:44 a.m.

@ IdahoStranger: Every state has 2 senators - the guys from my state can't do jack without the support of the guys from your state - if you don't like what my guy is doing, then elect people from your state who will stand up to him.

Is is not the job of Hatch or Liljenquist to care what Idaho or Wyoming or any state other than Utah wants - it is their job to do the best for Utah. You can spend your time and money campaigning for Liljenguist - but I am the one who gets to vote for (or against) him - guess who has more influence? (There is a reason Hatch doesn't care about people in Idaho, why do you think Liljenquist will?)

You want somebody who is going to do what is best for you? Get involved in the politics in your state and send someone with a backbone to DC - someone who is willing to fight for the citizens of Idaho instead of rolling over and playing dead.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    April 22, 2012 11:10 a.m.

The most interesting human phenomenon as it relates to politics is the emotional desire to demonize the candidate people aren't supporting. Its unnecessary. I'm voting for Dan because I think because at this stage in both he and Sen. Hatch's respective lives, Dan is more energized, more passionate, extremely intelligent, uniquely capable, and certainly untainted by power that comes with living 36 years in the Washington bubbler. "To everything there is a season" and that season for releasing Hatch is now if not 6, 12, or 18 years ago. Utah - Sen. Hatch will be just fine in retirement and so will we. He's been well compensated for his service with money, power, and adulation. We owe him nothing and he owes us nothing. I thank him for his service but time for a change.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 22, 2012 10:53 a.m.

There is a MUCH better alternative than either of these guys. His name is Scott Howell.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 22, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Disco and 8 tracks have outlived their usefulness, but they were very much the mainstay when hatch last faced a primary. Time to move on.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    April 22, 2012 8:27 a.m.

To the tea party and all of those who are not living in this state-

Stay Out of Our Business! I love how you all care so much about term limits, but only for our senators. Work on your own states. Utah has very little power in congress with 4 (now) congressmen. The only thing we do have power in is the senate and that, unfortunately, is because of longevity. Mike Lee, up to this point, has dug in his heals and hasn't learned how to make things move. Change is very slow.

I find it ironic that those who are sooooo conservative and for small local government are willing to take marching orders from a large national base.

Utahns do your homework and do what's best for Utah, whatever you have researched and believe that is!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    April 22, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Can't help but notice many of the comments against Hatch are from out of state. We need Hatch for another term. Utah needs hatch!

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 22, 2012 7:51 a.m.

I don't want Hatch. I think he is bad for the United States and bad for the state of Utah. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to plug my nose and vote for him -- the lesser of the two evils -- in the primary. Why? Because Liljenquist would be infinitely worse. Utah has already sent one embarrassment to the Senate in 2010; I don' want that to happen again.

• happytobehere Fillmore, Utah
    April 22, 2012 7:42 a.m.

How can I find out how my delegate voted?

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 22, 2012 7:38 a.m.

Regarding the comment by Kalindra about people from outside Utah "interfering" in Utah politics:

In as much as Utah's (and every other state's) congressional delegations have their hands in my pockets taking my money, then based on the First Amendment Right of Free Speech, I believe it behooves myself all Americans to do what we can to teach correct principles and the proper role of government throughout the land, Utah included. So said Abraham Lincoln if you need a reference.

If this offends you, then please clean up your "own darn state" and get their hands out of our pockets. Take a closer look and you will see their hands in your pockets too. How long can this be allowed to continue?

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    April 22, 2012 7:37 a.m.

I was not elected this year as a delegate because I announced my support for Dan Liljenquist at caucus and my opposition to Hatch. A Hatch supporter replaced me. To those few delegates at convention who pushed Hatch into his first primary, you are to be inducted into the pantheon of rational thinkers by giving the rest of us a chance to voice our opinion at the primary ballot box. A Romney endorsement does not a viable candidate make (see Bob Bennett). I can decide to vote for Dan Liljenquist based his merits without any help from Mitt or anyone else telling me why we absolutely cannot survive as a Republic without Orrin Hatch. Yes, Dan. . . it's time. . . YOUR time.

• DavisMan Clearfield, UT
    April 22, 2012 7:10 a.m.

Now for the real question? Will the great unthinking people of Utah who have keep him in Washington so long kick him to the curb?

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    April 22, 2012 1:40 a.m.

I was at the state Republican convention today. Fortunately, I arrived in time to hear Dan Liljenquist speak. I cannot adequately describe the energy that surged through the audience when he spoke. I have never heard a better campaign address. Dan spoke eloquently about his vision for the future, explained concisely how he will achieve his goals, and completely mesmerized the crowd! Dan said he believes in term limitations. He stated he would NOT serve for more than 3 terms. Dan Liljenquist is Utah's choice for conservative government in the 21st century. At his inaugural in 1961, President Kennedy stated, "The torch has passed to a NEW generation!" Stand aside, Senator Hatch. Time to make way for the baby boomers ge

• T. Party Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 21, 2012 11:58 p.m.

Hatch voted for TARP -- to use our tax money to bail out the people who created the housing bust. Do we really want him running the Senate Finance Committee? This man has no clue about the proper role of government.

If Hatch meant to turn anything around, surely he would have made his move before now. If it didn't happen in the last 35 years, what makes us think that the next term will be any different?

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 21, 2012 11:02 p.m.

At least the Senate race at the convention was a lot less contentious than the 2nd District race.

Compared to the 2nd District race, all the Senate candidates were choir boys.

• Braxton ogden, ut
    April 21, 2012 10:14 p.m.

IHC, the States most corrupt organization, in my opinion, has paid Hatch off to maintain their monopoly and blocking other health care providers From competing in a fair market. I can't wait to have my vote counted. Good riddance Hatch.

• bjdoc Boise, Idaho
    April 21, 2012 9:53 p.m.

As a Doctor , just returned from 8 years living in Europe, The shocking high cost of American drugs, hit me like a mallet to the back of my head. Then I followed up on references to the fact, that drugs cost 4-8 times as much here compared to Europe, where their stats for long life are much better than in America. Great news that we still have chance to Hatch home to roust. His compaine is almost totally financed by the American Association of Drug Manifactoring. His son owns the largest drug lobby business in Washington. Hatch has sponsored multiple laws that exclusive benefit America's largest drug companies. Getting him out of Washington, will help force American Drug Marketeer, to allow import of superior, and less expensive drugs from around the world.
    I was so happy to read that he must face the voters, and I hope you will look at the way his is robbing the American People of affordable and equally effective drugs available in a fee market ecomony.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 21, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Heard Dan on Glen Beck earlier this week, made the prediction this was going to a primary and he was right.

Made a lot of great points, got my attention and plenty of delegates as well.

Excited to see this happen.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 21, 2012 9:35 p.m.

If Hatch spent nearly as much time, effort and money on doing his job instead of running to get elected again, perhaps he would have been worth supporting.

Instead, he has talked conservative here at home, and done the bare minimum to get by in the Senate without irritating his "good friends across the aisle."

He should have been fighting tooth and nail against every step Harry Reid has been taking, including objecting to every unanimous consent vote. Tie the Senate in knots- doing nothing would be no worse than what they have been doing.

Hey, how's that Senate budget bill coming anyway? You know, the one required by law every year that has not been passed in three, going on four years?

Dan for Senate!

• Jared91 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2012 9:32 p.m.

Hatch is the man we need at this hour. This will be his last term.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    April 21, 2012 9:26 p.m.

I have nothing against Hatch personally. I think he's been as good a Senator as their is. The problem is that there aren't any really great Senators. The Senate is made up of so many people who seem to have lost touch with reality to the point that they have neglected their duty to the tune of $15,000,000,000,000.

I have no doubt that in the mind of Senator Hatch and many like him, they really mean well. But ALL of them have failed, miserably. Republicans and Democrats. Why would we keep electing the same people to the same office and get the same dysfunctional performance? I don't think most of the U.S. Senate has a clue what's happening across America.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:41 p.m.

We need to send local citizens to represent us in Washington; citizens who have been working and living in our world; citizens willing to put principle ahead of reelection and lay it all on the line for us and our country for one term, or two at most, and then go home and back to work in their real career. We need our citizen representatives to keep their principal residence here at home, and live among us when Congress is not in session. We need citizens serving us who are willing to serve for nothing or for expense money and then return home without a pension and without the honors and trappings and health insurance of royalty. Career politicians are un-American. Retire them all!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:36 p.m.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:32 p.m.

Anyonewho claims seniority and experience are overrated obviosly has neither and is trying to get elected over someone who has both.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 21, 2012 8:30 p.m.

What I want to do is what's up with all these people who live in states other than Utah interfering in Utah politics?

I'm no fan of Hatch, but shouldn't ya'all be worrying about your own Reps and Sens and let us worry about ours?

Mind your own darn state.....

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Maybe if his good friend Teddy Kennedy was still around Teddy Boy could have helped him. Hatch has been present when a lot of the problems we now have were just baby problems and Hatch has been more concerned about things like the Dream Act. Ilegals might just lose a friend now. Funny Orin gets real Conservative around election time but goes off the Reservation in between elections. Go Dan

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 21, 2012 8:14 p.m.

Time for some education. Like many of you, I too was for term limits until I read this:

Concerning term limits, which were considered by the Founding Fathers during the
    Constitutional Convention of 1787, Alexander Hamilton wrote in The Federalist, No. 72:
    "Nothing appears more plausible at first sight, nor more ill-founded upon close
    inspection."

Google "Term limits temptations" and download a copy and then please carefully read it.

After doing so, I think you will change your tune as I did and agree with Alexander Hamilton ..."nor more ill-founded upon close inspection."

There is simply "No Substitute for Eternal Vigilance". Without a constitutionally informed electorate, we simply will not keep our Republic. There are no quick fixes.

God Bless America and may we prove worthy that He should.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Prayer works! Vote for the businessman every time; not the career politician. We all need to get to work, in June of 2010, I think a total of 15,000 people voted in that Primary in a state of almost 3 million. Many people are too busy in June to vote.

• satch Highland, UT
    April 21, 2012 8:08 p.m.

Every time I hear one of Hatch's scare tactic radio ads I just laugh. What spin. As if new senators and new ideas wouldn't work. I have voted for Hatch many times, but when will congress of the last 30 years take their blame for the financial mess we are in. They are all to blame!

Neither the republicans nor the democrats have done nothing wrong, it was the other side. That is what is wrong. We need better representation across the board.

In Utah we need more voices than just republicans.

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    April 21, 2012 7:34 p.m.

An April 8, 2010 article in Deseret News entitled "Hatch faces voter anger at town hall meetings" states:

"[O]ne man suggested a constitutional amendment to ban Congress from exempting itself from the laws that it passes for others — and the audience roared with cheers. When Hatch said that would create more problems than it might solve, several booed and yelled out catcalls." Another paragraph states "When Hatch was giving a long comment about health care reform, one man interrupted, yelling, 'Will you repeal it?' When Hatch said, 'I favor repeal, but it isn't that simple,' many grumbled in the audience."

Orrin Hatch also supported the nomination of Cass Sunstein who said "We don’t need any more laws passed by congress, we can do everything we want to do with regulation."

This is why Orrin Hatch is no longer qualified to serve Utah. He has Potomac fever in its advanced stages. I don't believe the majority of Utahns find these statements and positions by Hatch in harmony with their views. You're one step closer. Utah, Bring Orrin Home!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2012 7:31 p.m.

I can't help but wonder how many of these folks that are so happy the Republicans now need a primary, and are thus singing praises to the Caucus System in place, have changed their opinion since Bob Bennett was retired under the same system. Mr. Bennett surely showed everyone the true side of "term limits" and for less than one percentage point Dan L is sure singing a happy tune. I hope he is as positive if he loses the primary.

• franc Kirkland, WA
    April 21, 2012 7:29 p.m.

So glad about this ... I plan to write Liljenquist a check and to campaign AGAINST Hatch. It's time for him to go ... he should have gone gracefully and by his own choice.
    Glad this was the outcome today.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    April 21, 2012 6:47 p.m.

The retirement of arrogant career politicians like McCain and Hatch is what the tea party movement is all about. No more compromise. We need term limits. Get in, do the job, get out.

• Kathleen3 WARMINSTER, PA
    April 21, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Unfortunately Orin Hatch embodies all that is wrong with career politicians and represents reasons why we desperately need to mandate term limits. Our Founding Fathers never intended Congress to be composed of representatives whose entire lives, or a majority thereof, was spent in D.C. While I have all the respect in the world for geriatrics our Congressmen and Senators should not be included among them.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    April 21, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Those who caused governmental cancer say they can now cure it. Time for new medicine.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 21, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Let's not rush to judgment. Can Liljenquist ever write a song about his hero Ted Kennedy...I think not. Can Liljenquist ever speak at the Democrat convention or at least ask to do do...I think not. Can Liljenquist praise extreme lefties for the Supreme Court like Hatch can...I think not. Senator Hatch is almost like having a Democrat as senator. Besides, we know that Liljenquist would have more energy and effort to make changes...and who would what to change anything?

• David L AMERICAN FORK, UT
    April 21, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Seems like our best chance to get out of our federal debt crisis is to get the people into the right positions. If we don't, we all are in for extreme difficulties.

Romney seems to be one of most successful turnaround executives in the U.S. Hatch could be in the critical role to help Romney with the financial turnaround.

I don't see this a typical election. I see this as the most important election to-date. We have no idea how close we are to economic disaster. I'm hoping enough of us see the situation as the same.

• Clydesdale Tooele, UT
    April 21, 2012 5:02 p.m.

"80 year old teachers and an 80 year old Senator - what's the problem? They both will have a
    lot of experience which I suspect is one of your arguments in favor of Hatch. If its good for the Senate it should be just as good for the classroom."

line of the day. Love it! LOL

• AT Elk River, MN
    April 21, 2012 4:05 p.m.

What great news!!! Orrin, it's time for you to go. I know one of your first priorities when you're finished with "public service" will be to write your memoirs. I have a working title for you: "Asleep on the Watchtower."

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 21, 2012 3:42 p.m.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    April 21, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Career Politicians Ye Be Warned...

• RagnarL4 Kaysville, UT
    April 21, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Fantastic!

I'll get to have my voice in the booth. With it I'll shout with my tiny dot, or x or punch, "Thank you, Orrin, for 36 years, and godspeed, Dan!"

• JMH Provo, UT
    April 21, 2012 2:49 p.m.

Bomar,

You seem to have ignored the Sen. Crapo has strongly endorsed Hatch and what Mike wants to do is Chair the Banking Committee. That is where his real expertise is and he has targeted the Oxley-Sarbanes and the Barney Franks legislation. Bob Corker (Tennessee) would get that instead of Crapo and he is not a real conservative. But don't let the facts get in the way or your emotion.

By the way, Hill AFB is on the BRAC list again, just as it was last time. It is not about bombing ranges but dollars and cents.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    April 21, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Too bad. Liljenquist destroyed many lives here in Utah with his work in the legislature. He destroyed any decent retirement for police, fire and educators. He played on the fears of a couple bad years of the economy to completely wipe out the chance to ever get really qualified candidates for very important jobs.

Now we are going to have 80 year old teachers.

Glad to see him out of our state legislature at any rate!

• UtahRR salt lake city, UT
    April 21, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Hallelujah!

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    April 21, 2012 2:07 p.m.

I am writing a check to Dan Liljenquist first thing.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    April 21, 2012 2:02 p.m.

I will be coming to Utah to campaign for Dan Liljenquist. Orrin Hatch is what's wrong with the Senate, arrogant, entitled and compromising with the other side of the aisle. Getting the SLC news it is disappointing that his campaign is, "what he is going to do", not what he has done in 36 years in DC. Hill Field AFB is a straw man, it is not going to close if he is defeated. I was told "if not for Sen Hatch, Hill Field would have closed and operations moved to Georgia", sorry I don't buy that for a minute. Georgia does not have any bombing ranges. In Idaho we have less seniority in the Senate and Mountain Home AFB is still going strong and that is because of the proximity to bombing ranges.

Also if Dan Liljenquist wins and the Republicans win the Senate the new Senate Finance Chair would be Sen Mike Crapo from Idaho. Go Dan, Go.