Utah

Fire in LDS Conference Center leaves thousands of gallons of water in main auditorium

Comments

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 19, 2012 8:06 a.m.

My heart was hurting when I heard about the water damage. Many things go through your mind along with questions. It's like life, when everything goes along swimmingly for so long and then there is a glitch in that smoothness, it is cause for reflection on the whys. I'm so grateful there was no other damage and I have such confidence in those in charge that it brings peace to my worried mind that all will be "well" once again as long as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in charge.

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    April 18, 2012 11:21 a.m.

I was in the Conference Center the day before, the podium and the General Conference stage was intacked including all the chairs for the prophet, etc......could there have been damage to these items? I hope the DN does a follow to let us know the results.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    April 18, 2012 8:29 a.m.

I doubt there was any damage to the Hinckley Podium, it is not set up all of the time -- much of the rostrum, if I understand correctly, are taken down after conference, and the area can be converted into a stage -- the organ pipe are permanent.

I'm glad the damage seems to have been minimal.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    April 17, 2012 1:41 p.m.

If the water came from above the pulpit, was the Hinckley Walnut Tree Podium damaged?

• Mayfair City, Ut
    April 17, 2012 7:27 a.m.

I was surprised to hear that from two sprinklers, "thousands of gallons" of water were the result.

Could there also be a problem with the fire detection system, that although the fire was put out, such huge amounts of water were still being released in such a short time, til the fire department arrived?

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 17, 2012 5:56 a.m.

This raises the question of what happens to the beautiful artwork that one can observe in the Conference Center, should a fire occur. I wonder if there's any sort of water/smoke protection for some of those beloved Arnold Frieberg paintings.

• Richard Larson Holladay, Ut