Utah

Elder Dallin H. Oaks dedicates new home of Utah's largest law firm

Comments

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    April 15, 2012 8:10 a.m.

lds lib:
    you just can't help yourself from making negative comments. Glad I'm not a lib, life is too short.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Re: LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    "And this is something to be proud of?"

I try not to criticize people who have spent their entire adult lives serving others. As an "LDS" I'd think you'd be more understanding of those who have helped the growth of the church you claim membership in.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:59 a.m.

1st it’s was the over-extravagance of the “fine and precious”, the pride of the newest stores selling “Costly apparel” with City Creek, that I’m still not quite over.
    Now an Apostle dedicating a Law Office there?

And this is something to be proud of?

Yikes!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Re: Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    "I'm not sure which part of it rubs me the wrong way"

Why should it rub you at all that a former member of the Utah Supreme Court would dedicate a law building? Dallin Oaks will be in his current church assignment until the day he dies. Hopefully you don't mind if he takes a little personal time every now and again.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Re: no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    "Does the LDS Church send these men to other business openings"

Dallin H. Oaks is a former Utah State Supreme Court justice. Is there a problem with a person having those credentials dedicating a law office?

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 13, 2012 10:26 a.m.

I strongly doubt Timp has any more ethics than 99% of the commentors out there.

• Larry Lawton Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    April 13, 2012 2:40 a.m.

I first dealt with the church's attorneys decades ago in a city far away. It was alleged that the church owed a few thousand dollars to someone. Three times I reported that I could not locate the individual. Each time, I was encouraged to look again, so the debt could be fairly paid. Eventually, I found an address in a stack of old christmas cards addressed to a deceased member. The debt was paid in full.
    Now I know the jokes -- 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name, etc., etc., etc. But ethically, this bunch stands out. In well over forty years of practice, I've never met folks with higher morals.
    ...and remember, one of Jesus' roles is to serve as an advocate.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 12, 2012 9:41 p.m.

I'm not sure which part of it rubs me the wrong way; that an apostle presided over the grand opening of a law firm or that the DN wrote about it. Both seem a bit tacky to me.

• troyboy1 Danville, KY
    April 12, 2012 8:44 p.m.

Unbelievable. I have no words.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 12, 2012 8:37 p.m.

This seems weird...
    Does the LDS Church send these men to other business openings, as well? Hospitals? Charities? Libraries? Schools?
    Attorneys? Hmmm....not sure about ........

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Well, i guess I've now seen it all. You have to be kidding me. I strongly doubt this law firm has any more ethics than 99% of the lawyers out there.