Utah

Lawrence O'Donnell apologizes for offending 'a great many Mormons'

Comments

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    April 17, 2012 8:28 a.m.

I don't watch Lawrence O'Donnell - I wasn't impressed with him when he guest hosted for Keith Olbermann before getting his own show, and the only time I've bothered to watch a clip of his own show was when he interviewed Michael Moore. I am bothered by his remarks about the church every bit as much as I am bothered by Romney's remarks about those who do not profess a religion. The right to not worship should be just as sacred as when the character of Charles Dalton was "exercising the right not to walk" in that scene from Dead Poet's Society.

I am LDS, and I won't be voting for Mitt Romney, not because of the fact that he's LDS, but the fact of his record at Bain Capital, and I find those facts demonstrate him to be anti-family and anti-middle class. On the whole, I find conservativism to be anti-family and anti-middle class, which is why I will never vote for any Republican ever again. And if a Democrat claims to be a "conservative Democrat," I will instead vote for his opponent in the Green Party.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 14, 2012 6:06 p.m.

Someone asked where he got his INfo -- probably from police gazette or the natoinal inquirer - some others say many of his statements were accurate -- they must be reading the same stuff.

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2012 9:21 a.m.

I wish we could just stick to the issues that face all of Americans. Whether a person is Catholic, protestant, Cristian, or non-believing doesn't matter to me. I want to know how we are going to get our jobs back from china, Mexico,and many other places so Americans can work and live a decent life. I want to know about Health care, social security etc. Religion has no effect on how these issues play out. The more you complain the more it keeps it in the lime light instead of focusing on what's really important. Get with it people get the facts about what will affect your life and future.

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    April 14, 2012 9:04 a.m.

An "apology" like that is worth fifty cents to buy a cup of coffee. Oh, gee sorry if I offended any coffee drinkers who may have taken offense at the price of coffee.

O'Donnell is like the majority of the MSM commie/libs. Disgusting, irrelevant people.

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    April 13, 2012 10:49 p.m.

I used to record O'Donnell's MSNBC show. As an independent voter--one who pulled the trigger for Obama in 2008--I like to take in differing perspectives. I stopped recording the show a few weeks ago, though, tired of the narrow political zealotry and religious bigotry.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    April 13, 2012 7:31 p.m.

There is no way the LDS Church should go on MSNBC. MSNBC is a politics only show full of tilted spin. Don't mix up religion with this group during this campaign. Don't do it.

If Lawrence is really sorry, get him to use his influence to have a real interview between an LDS spokesperson and a real reporter on NBC, like Tom Brokaw.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    April 13, 2012 7:16 p.m.

O'Donnell is a cable TV personality not a news anchor. The only news MSNBC has ever reported is when they show the after primary speeches by the candidates. O'Donnell is just like another Bill Maher or Rachel Maddow. He is irrelevant.

However, Chris Matthews gets real time on NBC. He owes the viewers a lot more apologies.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:55 a.m.

@CB

"If Mr. O'Donnell really wants to show he is sorry, he will take the Missionary Lessons
    and learn the truth "

Eh, that probably won't help, if he doesn't end up joining many people will just think he's insincere because that's what's said way too often and offensively towards those who read the Book of Mormon and pray about it and don't get an affirming answer.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    April 13, 2012 11:43 a.m.

Getting offended when donkeys bray is like getting offended when swine squeal. It's what donkey's do, it is their nature, they bray.

A wise man once said, essentially, "Only a fool is offended when no offense intended, and it is a greater fool who is offended when offense was intended." In other words, don't let others control you by allowing yourself to be offended by their braying.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:39 a.m.

and learn the truth about this religion he finds so offensive.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Re: Esquire Springville, UT
    "And frankly, most Mormons will vote for Romney simply because he is Mormon."

I doubt that any of my LDS friends who are Democrats will be voting for Romney. Those LDS who vote for him will do so because they believe he will be a better fit in the White House and not because of his faith. Those who have been bringing up Romney's faith are primarily those trying to dig a pit for him to fall in.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 9:07 a.m.

It was kind of an apology. He said "if" he made errors in reporting. He wouldn't acknowledge that he did make errors and misrepresented an entire faith and religion. I suppose this is one of nbc finer journalists that fact finds and fine tooth combs everything before offering it to the masses for consumption. We saw and are seeing how well he's doing reporting on the obama regime and their failed policies.

I would like a real apology, but, appreciate that he at least offered to allow the church to send a rep. to explain the beliefs to the audience. But, let's see if it's smoke and mirrors or if he really is going to allow someone to represent the church and explain the beliefs.

I wonder if Odonnel believes choosing to stay home to raise children, doesn't count as work?

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Umm, Esquire, how about the fact that he was intimately involved with and, by most accounts, saved the 2002 Olympic Games from scandal and financial ruin?

You're free to believe what you want about your fellow Mormons' motivations, but I believe that most, like me, support him because he seems to be a capable leader who understands business, knows how to make tough decisions, and can obviously run huge organizations.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 13, 2012 8:46 a.m.

Larry O'Donnell knows exactly what he has done and is doing and will do. He was not born yesterday and MSNBC knows and believes what he is doing is good. If it was a Republican on MSNBC that was doing that they would have been gone, yesterday. For this type of media, the end justifies the means. If one falls, another will be there to pick up the community action type of publicity. There are a lot of organizations affiliated with the President's past and present to fill in for Mr. Larry O'Donnell, unfortunately. With Governor Romney as the Republican nominee, basically, and with the selection process going for the Vice-President, there will be twice as much negative press when that person is announced. 4 years later and Sarah Palin negative publicity is still going on in the press as an attempt to show Republican type of people. Look at Saturday Night Live, etc. and they try to show Republicans in a very negative light, just as the lady with Mrs. Romney, who has always been a light to those she deals with. We just need to expect it from this DNC campaign from Chicago.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 13, 2012 8:38 a.m.

President Obama is able to use his minions as testing fields for comments he would use if he didn't have these people do it for him. There will be hundreds of these types of comments that will get to the people that will make judgements and they will be non-LDS who will use them against Mitt Romney. Apologies or corrections in any media do not make it to the people that are affected by the mistatements or errors in judgement. The Obama administration knows that. They go around the world apologizing for all the things that the United States, in their minds, have done over the past 200 years. Apologies are part of people who are not honest but that doesn't change the people who heard the statements as apologies are not heard by them. We just need to get used to this happening until at least November and if Romney wins it won't be the last, I would picture. These people are against the good things and don't care what they say or feel. They are good at their acting. People that don't have integrity or tell the truth will always be playing this

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 13, 2012 7:34 a.m.

crodier of LAYTON, UT, you show the most class of all.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 13, 2012 7:33 a.m.

There are lessons to be learned on both sides of this issue. Religion should be off-limits, not only for people like O'Donnell, but also for Mormons and Republicans on the other side. We saw attacks on President Obama for his association with a church in 2008, and he has been called a Muslim. And frankly, most Mormons will vote for Romney simply because he is Mormon. Nothing else would explain the strong support of a Massachusetts patrician politician who has a history of being far more liberal than Utah Mormons. To all sides, if you want to bring Mormonism into the equation, pro or con, be prepared for push back.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2012 6:43 a.m.

When digging a pit for others it is important not to fall in it yourself. The only person Lawrence O'Donnell hurt with his venomous comment was himself.

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 6:02 a.m.

He's not sorry at all. He'll go on believing what he wants. The mormon church needs to definitely take him up on his offer to have a representative come on the show. I think his problem is he's just never been around a happy, active mormon. He'd change his mind if had. Mormons may have a funky religion but the ones I know I like and have nothing to complain about.

• crodier LAYTON, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:36 p.m.

Apology accepted.

• Rob Logan, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:26 p.m.

He offended many Mormons. Try fourteen million. I could see in his face how he knew what he was saying was wrong. He had this look on his face while he was saying it. A 'professional' like him does not get important facts like these right. On purpose.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:08 p.m.

re: tenx 5:57 p.m. April 12, 2012

Very christian of you?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 12, 2012 9:15 p.m.

@peabody

People are free to say anything they want to say, that does not mean they should be free from the consequences of saying it.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 12, 2012 8:44 p.m.

"Those who are so opposed to the LDS Church had better hope (and pray) that a Mormon isn't elected President of the USA."

And why is that?

• wer South Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2012 8:37 p.m.

Another test book example of a "non apology" apology. He is only sorry his intended criticism didn't take hold.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 12, 2012 7:47 p.m.

Re: A Scientist Provo, UT
    "Mormons are sure getting a lot of media attention in the form of apologies from people who have said things that "offend" them."

The unintended consequences of the venom spewed out about the Mormons will be that people who are sincerely seeking the truth will be more included to invite LDS missionaries into their homes.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 12, 2012 7:33 p.m.

@A Scientist

"Now when is Elder Jeffrey Holland and the other Mormon leaders going to apologize for offensive things said about Trinitarian Christianity in Mormon General Conference? Or for calling ALL other religions "false" and "abominations"?"

1. We do not apologize for telling the truth.
    2. We do not accuse Protestant or Catholics of being "Non-Christians". If they claim to be Christian, that is good enough for us. The reverse is not so. I had them tell me to my face that I am not Christian.
    3. Some Protestants claim Mormons are not Christian simply because we do not believe in their definition of the Trinity. Certainly our leaders are allowed to offer our side of the question.

• peabody Steamboat Springs, CO
    April 12, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Remember Freedom of speech.

• tom jr. north ogden, uT
    April 12, 2012 7:13 p.m.

Mr. O'Donnell, along with Ms. Maddow, and the rest of the MSNBC sycophants of the Obama Administration, will, you can be sure, attack the Romney campaign anyway possible, and Mormonism will be fair game.

Romney envisions a return to good old fashioned capitalism and self-reliance, a 180 degree turn from the welfare/entitlement/wealth redistribution/Keynesian path this country is now on, and that vision for this country infuriates O'Donnell, a self-confessed socialist.

There will be plenty more of this stuff. Brace yourselves.

• silas brill Heber, UT
    April 12, 2012 7:01 p.m.

[ "truly sorry if I said something inaccurate about Joseph Smith" ]

If.

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:49 p.m.

Let it go, people. 70 x 7 is pretty clear. He'll personally pay for his pettiness throughout his life until he makes a turnaround. Then, if God remembers it no more, we certainly have no need to remember it.

We certainly have no need of a pound his of flesh.

Let it go! Just let it go!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:48 p.m.

@TRUTH
    "O'Donnell is one crazy white religious racist"

Okay... I don't know why so many people do this but... Mormons aren't a race. You can't be racist against Mormons. Bigoted? Yes, but racist, no.

"Which places looney LDS Libs in a precarious position? Do I support looneys like O'Donnell which is attacking my faith "

Did you forget that the conservative base is full of evangelicals that hate your religion?

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    April 12, 2012 6:41 p.m.

"In his apology O'Donnell said that he is "truly sorry if I said something inaccurate about Joseph Smith,"" Not a very strong apology. There was no "if" about it. And the inaccuracy was a flat out lie. He shoud have said he is truly sorry that he lied about Joseph Smith. He's only sorry that he got negative guff about his bigotry.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Lawrence O'Donnell knew his statements were wrong when he said them. They had nothing to do with making a point on religious tolerance, His apology is completely bogus. He did the same thing four years ago and continued to attack Romney and his faith throughout the time Romney was in the campaign.

O'Donnell shouldn't be given the time of day. He only apologized because he began to see that it might be hurting the Obama campaign. That's is it plain and simple.

O'Donnell is a self avowed far-left/socialist and a long-time Democrat operative. He is also one of the producers of "Big Love." He has been vicious and hateful toward Mormons for a long time. His apology is completely disingenuous.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:30 p.m.

@atheist

Well seeing as though I couldn't care less what o'donnell thinks or says, so as a Mormon I wasn't offended in the least, I have no reason to accpet an apology from him whether it was sincere or not.

I also don't care at all what you think although I do find it fun to mock you.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:29 p.m.

O'Donnell is one crazy white religious racist! And is A fair representative of the looney left! Which places looney LDS Libs in a precarious position? Do I support looneys like O'Donnell which is attacking my faith and god or do I jump off this Popsicle stand and get my head on straight and vote for the GOP......like all the other members of my faith, except Harry Reid ? We all know what JS would think of O'Dumbell and Obummer? Get smart and vote Romney...it's that obvious!

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:20 p.m.

It requires the highest level of gullibility to accept O'Donnell's "apology" as sincere, since he has expressed his disgust toward the LDS faith on several other occasions, and his remarks were far too blatantly hateful and vicious for him to feign surprise that they could be perceived as offensive.

I'd like to see a church representative go on air with him, but the church tends to avoid casting pearls before swine, and there's no question O'Donnell's show is a sty.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Mormons in America:

One of my favorite quotes-

"Our crime has been: We married women instead of seducing them; we reared children instead of destroying them; we desired to exclude from the land prostitution, bastardy and infanticide." Essentially, that "the law is swiftly invoked to punish religion, but justice goes limping and blindfolded in pursuit of crime."

The point is that when people that know what's right and often preach it are very quick to condemn Mormons for often doing what was better in the end- meanwhile the people making such criticisms and/or their ancestors are guilty of ACTUALLY doing horrible things, supporting slavery, racism, etc.

The Book of Mormon clearly states (as it did when it was published) that God invites "all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come, black and white, bond and free, male and female...and all are alike unto God".

Eventually all blessings can be ours. It's up to us, not the Church. If we have anywhere to look with concern it is to us as a people- not a perfect God's church he establishes for us, an imperfect people.

• codger Southwest Utah, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:14 p.m.

Who is Lawrence O'Donnell?

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:14 p.m.

I think O'Donnell should be offended by all the Mormons who rudely refuse to accept his sincere apology.

And if there is a god, the "scriptures" would suggest that God Himself is also offended by Mormons who rudely refuse to accept O'Donnell's apology:

Doctrine and Covenants 64:34-35
    "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."

"And again, verily I say unto you, if after thine enemy has come upon thee the first time, he repent and come unto thee praying thy forgiveness, thou shalt forgive him, and shalt hold it no more as a testimony against thine enemy—

And so on unto the second and third time; and as oft as thine enemy repenteth of the trespass wherewith he has trespassed against thee, thou shalt forgive him, until seventy times seven." (Doctrine and Covenants 98: 39-40).

(Why must an atheist be the one to remind the believers of their own beliefs, I wonder?)

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Makes me think Mormons are much better "professional victims" than even I thought they were!

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 12, 2012 5:57 p.m.

I am LDS and I am not offended by his remarks. I expected it from the likes of L. O'Donnell. I hereby "deem" his apology non-existent.

• cns St George, Utah
    April 12, 2012 5:55 p.m.

O'Donnell is what he is -- a bigot who has nothing but contempt for the LDS religion.
    The Church should be willing to go on any program whose moderator seems to be neutral about the history and beliefs of the LDS faith. That leaves O'Donnell out. Google his interview of Romney during the 2008 election.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 12, 2012 5:29 p.m.

@Two Cents

No, Elder Oaks should not go on his show to set things straight for the same reason we don't allow hunting in the zoo.

This guy knew that what he was saying was dead wrong and he knew it was offensive. Thank goodness he said it on MSNBC where only 12 people and 3 dogs would see it.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    April 12, 2012 5:26 p.m.

It appears to me that O'Donnell made a statement which was not only aimed at Rommey but every member of the LDS Church. It was offensive and insulting. Even if everything he said were true, which, of course, it isn't, he insinuated that every member of the LDS Church must be some kind of an idiot for following a man as he described Joseph Smith to be. He did it deliberately, in a calculating manner and he knew exactly what he was doing. Otherwise, how would he know anything about Joseph Smith in the first place? This man's apology should be considered an insult, which it is. I certainly hope the LDS Church doesn't respond to his invitation which, he thinks, may give him another chance to malign the Church.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 12, 2012 5:15 p.m.

I am not LDS but I found O'Donnell's words to be very offensive. I do hope someone from the Church will accept his offer to be on the show to discuss Mormonism. It might be a risk, but one worth taking. Just tell the folks what you believe. I can tell you from personal experience, when Mormons drop the prepared script and just speak from the heart it is very effective.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    April 12, 2012 5:10 p.m.

I'd like to believe his apology is sincere, but I don't. This isn't the first time O'Donnell has come after the church. He blew up on the McLaughlin Group a few years ago he has made other comments as well.

My guess is that his original comments were more of a trial balloon to see what the left can get away with during this election in terms of slandering the church and still be able to claim they are the party of tolerance.

Personally I am comfortable in my faith. Joseph Smith was the 'man who communed with Jehovah.' What O'Donnell or the left think of him is of no significance. The left despises religion and conventional families. The nation has a clear choice this election.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:48 p.m.

O'Donnell (and all of MSNBC)are nothing but "shills" for the liberal Democratic machine.

Between now and the general election expect many more of these types of attacks which the Obama campaign will "disavow" all knowledge of (wink, wink).

They lost with the Hillary Rosen attack on Ann Romney also, but they will keep trying with anything/everything in order to avoid having to talk about Obama's dismal record!

• Kathy. Iowa, Iowa
    April 12, 2012 4:47 p.m.

What I found really funny about his statements is the fact that he does't seem to know that all of Christianity descends from a polygamist source in ancient prophets.

If you are going to the Christian heaven mentioned in Revelations you have to go through the gates with the names of sons of 4 wives of one man written on them.

Rev 21:13
    12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

I'm just saying if you believe in the Bible and are christian that is what is says. Clearly God did not have a problem with polygamy as practiced by Israel.

• KD Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Reckless journalism at it's best. That is why you can't believe anything you hear from the major news media outlets. They don't check facts and they slant the news to fit their way of thinking. I took a journalism class in high school and it was a cardinal rule that you never interjected your opinion in an article that you were writing. The journalism of today has left the very foundation of honest reporting. If you think the slander from O'Donnell was bad I'm afraid we haven't seen the worst yet.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:33 p.m.

@Give Me a Break

"You cannot grow a vibrant, Christlike faith that improves millions of lives upon when built upon lies and perversion. "

Sure you can. For instance, the LDS church believes that the other Christian churches went astray from the Gospel to varying degrees (the apostasy and thus the whole need for a restoration). However, I'm sure there are plenty of LDS members who could point to the Lutheran, Catholic, Methodist, etc communities and say they have vibrant, Christlike faiths that improve millions of lives, even if they have some things wrong or "inserted by men in previous centuries".

"Instead, it attracts the best people"

Then again, you just said it attracts the BEST people... perhaps you aren't one of the "plenty" I was referring to. Well, nevermind, I know many LDS people who think there is plenty of good in other churches and the people who belong to those churches, even if they lack the fullness of the Gospel.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Unfortunately O'Donnell won't be the last misinformed human to misjudge the History of the Mormon Church. He showed his ignorance and lack of respect and that is something that won't be forgotten. He is missing out on learning the real truth but being so arrogant. I feel sorry for him and those who follow. Hopefully someday he will learn the truth behind Joseph Smith and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:09 p.m.

The main thing O'Donnell was sorry about, however, is that "my word choice ripped some people's attention away from my point, and that is that we should not tolerate religious intolerance in voting."

Then O'Donnell said "we can all patiently await Mitt Romney's apology for lying about President Obama trying to create a new religion. But we must be prepared for a long wait."

So he wasn’t sorry that he was inaccurate, only that his lies distracted from his attack on Romney.

As for the church’s refusal to appear on O’Donnell’s program – why should the church give any credibility to O’Donnell?

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 12, 2012 4:08 p.m.

"Instead, it attracts the best people of past, present and future generations, and makes them better."

Yep ... you guys are the best. Exactly the kind of arrogance I try to avoid from religious institutes.

• Give Me A Break Pullman, WA
    April 12, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Oh my word. O'Donnell and his friends (LValfre included) amuse themselves with their skewed versions of LDS History. But why should they not? Who is there to call them on alleged events from a time long since dimmed? It is just one version of history against another. Say what you want.

Yet, truth has a secret weapon that time cannot dim. It is found in the lives of those who are the benefactors of this religious heritage. You cannot grow a vibrant, Christlike faith that improves millions of lives upon when built upon lies and perversion. This faith would have fallen by the wayside long ago. Instead, it attracts the best people of past, present and future generations, and makes them better. God is definitely in it. The Church will continue to grow and the ungodly will continue to defame, but to little avail, because truth will prevail.

I look forward to the world discovering this for themselves as time marches on. May you not be the last to see it.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 12, 2012 3:00 p.m.

"Time's White House correspondent Michael Sherer wrote that the LDS Church "is traditionally averse to litigating its history and beliefs in the national media, so it is unlikely to take O'Donnell up on his offer" to appear on his MSNBC show." - I wonder why it's averse to discussing its history and beliefs in the national media? Hahaha.

@A Voice of Reason,

A lot of his accusations weren't far off. He apologized for what he said that was historically wrong but everything else he's okay with. He didn't lie about a lot of these things ....

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 2:43 p.m.

@A Voice of Reason
    "1. He accused Joseph Smith, Romney and the Church of being racist, and Romney of believing himself racially superior."

Until 1978 the church did have racist policy in place and Romney was an adult member of the church at the time he served his mission in france, explaining that blacks couldn't hold the priesthood because... honestly I'd be curious as to what sort of explanation Romney gave for that when he was a missionary. Not that it really matters since I won't vote for him anyway for reasons completely unrelated to him being LDS (Huntsman's my favorite republican for instance).

"2. He accused the Church of changing policy for political convenience."

A very strong case can be made for that.

Now I'm not defending everything O'Donnell said, he obviously got the timeline on church founding and polygamy wrong. His apology was weak and the half-hearted thing he condemns from others who use the "if I offended anyone" type thing.

"I doubt he's ever even bothered to read one page of the Book of Mormon- to know for himself the truth."

Irrelevant.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 2:16 p.m.

He didn't even apologize!

2. He accused the Church of changing policy for political convenience.
    3. He stated blacks couldn't be members- because "in Heaven they turned from God."
    4. He accused Joseph Smith of being a "lying and fraudulent criminal"
    5. He accused Joseph Smith and the church of supporting slavery.

---

Those are very serious accusations. To then only offer an "apology" with the condition "if I said something inaccurate about Joseph Smith"- is only attempting to put out a fire with a non-existent apology while maintaining his disrespect for LDS beliefs. It's dishonest and only to get gain.

He then claimed that his core argument was that "we should not tolerate religious intolerance in voting." This is incongruous, even incompatible with what he is spreading about the LDS faith. Questioning "Romney's own judgment and values based upon his religious beliefs" is literal religious intolerance.

---

The man should read Alma 30. In fact, I doubt he's ever even bothered to read one page of the Book of Mormon- to know for himself the truth.

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    April 12, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Does anyone else find this statement amusing? "We should not tolerate religious intolerance in voting."

Thanks for the half-hearted apology Mr. O'Donnell. I'm sure the church leadership is quite busy, but I'd love to see Dallin Oaks go on the show and straighten things out. :)

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:58 p.m.

The thing that amazes and offends me is... that he now pretends he had no idea those statements would offend Mormons (what is he using for a brain)? And that he had no idea that they were mis-statements. Really... where does this guy get his information? And millions of people are listening to HIM for their "NEWS" and their "Facts" and for information to use in forming their own opinions???

This guys is Oblivious if he had no idea that his mis-statements about Joseph Smith would offend anybody. He HAD TO know they would be found offensive. So pretending he didn't even know makes me think his whole appology was disengenous, or at least his excuse for what caused it was false.

I would never make such crude statements about a revered person to millinos of people without KNOWING I was going to offend them.

His pretending he didn't know... shows how SELF-serving and in-sincere the appology is.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 12, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Thank heavens O'Donnell didn't direct his venom on the Muslims and Islam. Salman Rushdie wrote a book entitled "The Satanic Verses" and Ayatollah Khomeini, a Shi'a Muslim scholar, issued a fatwa calling on all good Muslims to kill Rushdie and his publishers.