New Mormon leader Echo Hawk fostered new era in tribal, U.S. relations

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    April 13, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Echo Hawk isn't the first or last Democrat to fill a General Authority position in the Mormon Church. To say you can't be a good Mormon and a good Democrat is a lie.
    I'm glad personally I don't have to face that challenge. I'm just a good person and a good Democrat.
    I do hope Larry does well in his new calling and continues to have happiness in his life.
    I also wish Mormons were a bit more aware of the feelings and needs of folks that are not of their faith.
    I do have to admit, it's a challenge to live in Alabama, Massachusetts and some other states if you aren't a member of the particular dominant religion just as in Utah.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 12, 2012 7:42 a.m.

To the person in Vegas I was wondering that myself Samuelson is past 70 years old and 9 years is as long as any other person served as BYU President, I wonder if they will call a sitting General Authority to that position, Or call someone that is not a General Authority next time to that position? Several of the recent presidents of Ricks now Y of I, and BYU have at least part of the time been Area Seventies during there tenure. Though I am sure they could serve in callings in there home ward and stake during there tenure there as well.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 12, 2012 7:22 a.m.

The former head of the Republican club at then Ricks College was always writing letters to the scroll about democrats running Richard Stallings, Larry EchoHawk and others not to impressed with many of them. I did not agree with all of EchoHawks political philosiphies myself and did not vote for him.

I don't know what Coyote is talking about, But when you do write a letter to the editor be prepared for opposition. Were is the right to be heard found in the constitution? They did call a Republican Senator as an Area Seventy as well. Former one Gordon Smith.

There are many people outside America they will call to be GA's with much sacrifice as well leaving there family. Communists and Socialists won't be called into those positions as communists don't beleive in God they are Atheists as that philosophy goes hand in hand, And Socialist believe in force not willing charity contradict gospel principles.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    April 11, 2012 12:34 p.m.

great now the libs are taking over the church!

• CougarinVegas HENDERSON, NV
    April 11, 2012 10:20 a.m.

Wonder if he is slotted for President of BYU? Samuelson is approaching the average term for a BYU President. Recently, the Presidents have been General Authorities. A very impressive man.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Dietrich, ID
    You realize Elder Echohawk is a DEMOCRAT, right?
    Yes, there has been, is, and will be good LDS who are Democrats.
    ….and non-Americans, Socialists, and even Communists.

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:20 a.m.

re: higv comment

I am sure that there are many people who would like THEIR opinions, THEIR beliefs, THEIR attitudes and THEIR positions to be considered seriously when writing letters to the editor.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 11, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Interesting on continuing service Reed Smoot and Ezra Taft Benson served simutaenously as Apostles and Government workers. Hasn't happend since. But it seems like there were several members of the Second Quorom of the Seventy that kept there employment while they served as members of the Second Quoromm of the Seventy. I think President Utchdorf was a pilot for some time in the Second Quorom reading about his biography after called to be an apostle in the Ensign. Augosto Lim and Lance Wickman did some work part time while serving in the Seventy. So there are cases were some brethern keep there employment at least part time and go to Stake Conferences on Weekends like Area Seventies.

Of course with there demands on there time with mission tours and meetings all week that is difficult to do now and many are told to leave there business alone.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 11, 2012 7:06 a.m.

I have to wonder if he could not have continued to serve as did Pres. Benson. He could have done a lot of good in Washington.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 10, 2012 9:47 p.m.

I visied with him campaigning for governer in Rexburg Idaho. I was a member of the College Republican club and shook his hand wearing a Phil Batt Shirt. Did not vote for Echohawk. He is someone that did something with his life and his example in education will help many Indians suceed off the reservation and in society.