Faith

April LDS general conference concludes with prophetic blessing from President Thomas S. Monson

Comments

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    April 4, 2012 9:22 p.m.

Loved conference. Was shocked there were no new temples announced. I loved the talks esp by Elder Eyring as it was so timely to the situation that my husband and I have been through just recently. So grateful for technology that we can watch it back here without cable. Conference is one of my favorite weekends. Would love to attend conference sometime but that will be a dream.

• sharrona layton, UT
    April 3, 2012 12:01 p.m.

Re: Rita52, we spent a couple of minutes talking about Christ and how the LOVE of God gets lost in some Christian churches. So True, How do you see Jesus? Is He a shepherd, a carpenter, is he healing teaching or walking on water or surrounded by a crowd gathered with children?
    If you want to see Jesus as He really is, as He Himself would like to be seen, then see him on the cross suffering and dying for the sins of the world. There, His LOVE for you is most real. Do you want others to see Jesus clearly? Show them the cross.

• Soul Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 11:32 p.m.

It is the same old stuff, having to breath everyday. Why do it? For me, I just can't continue without breathing air or hearing General Conference. I guess time will tell whether inhaling what I heard was good fom me.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    April 2, 2012 11:21 p.m.

>No revelation

Those who listened in humility and with the Spirit received revelation. That's how it works.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    April 2, 2012 10:01 p.m.

And we shall hear the same things again next October because I can't imagine that 14.4 million of us will have conquered the difficulties we find in living this life. There won't be any new revelations or deep doctrine until we have learned what is here for us. But, brahmabull, I'm pleased that you listened to the entire thing so you would be able to discern those things you stated. Sometimes don't you think we just need the feel-good messages in order to greet another day?

• speed66 Heber City, UT
    April 2, 2012 5:05 p.m.

@ Shuzzie53 - and I assume that you will be attending the services of churches where you have issues.

I'm not LDS but often listen in to see what is being sold. For the most part pretty generic and positive. Can't help but compare it to the various MLM conventions that take place in Utah - good speakers, decent content, promises made that can't be kept...yup, just about the same right up to telling everyone to go out and sell it their neighbors.

LValfre - refreshingly honest and insightful.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    April 2, 2012 3:01 p.m.

>I want to hear the deep stuff

I heard the "deep stuff" in every session.
    I heard talk of the Atonement over and over again during conference. There's nothing pertaining to what we need during our experience here on earth that is deeper than the Atonement. The core doctrines are the deepest. As Joseph Smith said, "Stay close to the trunk." Conference isn't to tickle our ears. It's to give us the strength and guidance that we need to follow the Savior and partake of the blessings of the Atonement more deeply and more effectively.

What we get from it specifically is based on our degree of humility and how well we are attuned with the Spirit. What the Spirit teaches us might not even be related to what is being said. It's up to use to humble ourselves, soften our hearts, and approach conference (and sacrament meeting, and every other of our Church meetings) in meekness and submission to the Lord. If we don't do that--and particularly, if we try, in a sense, to "steady the ark"--the Spirit won't be able to teach us the "deep stuff."

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 2, 2012 2:37 p.m.

Re: Brahmabull
    "This year we heard the same old things said."

There are those who would like to read the sealed portion of the Golden Plates but who have not read what is currently available to us. Likewise there are those seeking new revelation who do not follow that which has already been revealed.

Perhaps if we listened more carefully we might have received greater understanding which can only come through the spirit.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    April 2, 2012 2:14 p.m.

@Brahmabull

When conference starts to get repetative, that is probably when we should listen a little more carefully. Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith 3 times in one night with essentially the same message and then again the next day.

• CTguy30 Colchester, CT
    April 2, 2012 2:00 p.m.

I would ask that people refrain from calling on others to repent over a message board. As we learned repentance is a very sacred and personal process which should be initiated by the sinner him/herself. Please, if you feel the need to call others to repentance...better just hold on to the thought, even if the opinions found on this message board don't agree with your own thoughts.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    April 2, 2012 1:08 p.m.

It's interesting to note that some people (LValfre) think revelation works up instead of down. That's contrary to how the Lord works. Which makes the answer to your first question moot. Whatever is delivered in Gen Conf, especially by the prophet, IS what the Lord defines as sacred.

Actually, I'm stunned that you really watched conference 1) you aren't a member and 2) your angry posts about the LDS church on a regular basis on these threads.

Good for you if you watched it.

@brahmabull: you are similar to LValfre regarding your comments on things LDS. The responses to you are correct: if we aren't doing the simple things that we have been commanded to do, why would the Lord see the need to reveal anything else, let alone whatever it is you deem "deep doctrine".

What is stopping you from gaining any knowledge that you seek? How do those who have shared "deep doctrine" in the past learned it? I believe the ball is always in our court regarding our learning of the gospel. So, go for it and see what you get.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2012 12:56 p.m.

President Uchtdorf did talk about his airplane job when he was made a Stake President, just not about the aircraft themselves. He had to make choices and he made the right choice by listening and feeling the Spirit, just like flying.

Trusting the instruments of God.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2012 12:49 p.m.

Thank goodness for God's plan to provide guidance, inspiration, the Holy Ghost and our individual conscience for His direction to show us the Way.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 2, 2012 12:40 p.m.

"Each must choose to accept and hold sacred that which God defines as sacred."

That which God defines or that which LDS prophets define as sacred? He needs to be more clear on that one.

This conference was better than last years. Didn't appreciate him pushing young men to hurry up and get married as opposed to establishing a career and stability first ... that's backwards in today's age where it takes a few more years to get a degree and establish a career that can support a family. Back in the day it was HS --- > work force and a family. Today it's HS --> College --> Beginner Workforce --> Move up to decent salary and start a family.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 2, 2012 12:01 p.m.

ute alumni - I don't recall claiming that I am more enlightened than anybody. I want to hear the deep stuff BECAUSE I want to understand it more. The prophets of old talked about it, but now it is too taboo so they just talk about the same basic stuff we hear in church each week.

catcrazed - thank you and god bless you too.

LindonMan - I am sory to hear that you are so self-righteous that you think it is your job to call me to repentance. I have done nothing wrong. I stated my opinion on the matter, I don't sugarcoat things (like the church often does with its history). I am sure that is why you are shocked that somebody could be honest and say what they were thinking without having it be faith promoting. Isn't honesty supposed to be refreshing, not offending? And no, it isn't a sin to be honest. I think you may have it backwards.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    April 2, 2012 11:40 a.m.

President Monson's story about the Marines on Kwajalein Island in WWII was, well...amazing and very humbling.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    April 2, 2012 11:25 a.m.

@Brahmabull

The reason we sometimes hear repeated teachings is because that's what we are still struggling with. We can't get receive new revelations if we aren't even living the stuff we already have. I invite you to repent and rethink your statement.

• catcrazed Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 2, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Dear Brahmabull, I am so sorry you were disappointed. But the simplest actions make the biggest difference, and our people really did need some reminders of kindness, etc. I am sure if you reread the talks in a quiet moment, you will find the guidance you are looking for. God bless you.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    April 2, 2012 10:32 a.m.

brahmabull:
    based on all the other comments that people loved this conference, you just much have a deeper doctrinal understanding than the rest of us. next time for the worldwide audience I really hope they focus on the mysteries of the kingdom for you and the other more enlightened people.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    April 2, 2012 9:56 a.m.

I share the sentiments shared here. I too loved the conference and felt a bit of a loss during the closing prayer of the concluding session when the realization came that the conference was adjourned for another six months.

I enjoyed this conference, but have enjoyed most, if not all of them over the past 35 years. I find that my personal attitude and spiritual preparation makes all the difference in how much I get out of conference. One of the talks suggested this type of phenomenon with regards to Sacrament Meeting. If I don't find the talks enlightening, it is usually because my attitude wasn't aligned properly.

What I find especially interesting is that the solutions to the world's problems does not include getting rid of all of the slimes and jerks out there, but rather, it begins with me and my family and how we approach life and the world. If I want the world to be a better place, my first objective is to make me a better person.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 2, 2012 9:42 a.m.

This year we heard the same old things said. No revelation, no deep doctrine. Just the same old feel good stories, some talks recycled from times past. That is what conference is now days, unfortunately.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 2, 2012 9:38 a.m.

As always, I was uplifted, had my knowledge increased and thoroughly enjoyed every word that was uttered and sung. The talk given by Elder Uchtdorf was exceptionally good and I will always remember the phrase he spoke "Stop It". What a wonderful encouragement and way to prevent the negative from luring in our minds and hearts. Oh, if more members would allow themselves this time to hear, feel and experience the presence of the Spirit their lives would be changed forever. We just can't give up on them. My testimony has been deepened by the words we heard and the spirit in which they were spoken.How grateful and blessed I am to be an active member of the only TRUE church on the face of this earth. I couldn't ask for more.

• Supporting LDS Church Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Gregg Weber,

Technically the Mo-TAB didn't sing any more or less 'complicated' than usual. More than likely your awareness of what's going on musically has developed or you're just noticing more than usual. The reason I say this is because many if not most of the pieces they sang have been sung before, and plenty of times (in and out of general conference).

You should look up 'counterpoint'. It's when you have multiple melodic lines working together, but interesting by themselves. This principle is the main influence behind most scored music- from Bach to Mack Wilberg. If you pay more attention to how each 'voice' plays on its own and with the other voices, it makes music much more interest.

Either way, I'm not trying to be disagreeable- just point to what is more likely the reason behind your different experience. I'm happy you enjoyed the performances. Enthusiasm for music is always a good thing to me, especially when it's motivated by the Mo-TAB.

And I have no clue what you meant in your tangent, but I spell it Thoroughly myself. :)

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    April 2, 2012 9:13 a.m.

And the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was much more complicated then I've ever heard it before. By that I mean not just singing 4 part as in the hymn book, but different words at the same time as in some hymns (I can't remember) in older hymn books. Not quite a verbal and musical fugue. I thurally enjoyed it.
    TANGENT: I looked up "throughly or thoroughly" because of my pronunciation which causes spelling errors. I elected to write "thurally" since that is what I first wrote and I pronounce an "a" before "lly". If communications is the perfect transfer of an image from one brain to another then I hope that that doesn't harm the transfer.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    April 2, 2012 8:51 a.m.

I am always so grateful to be a member of this church after listening to General Conference. The compassion, counsel, the comfort that are found in abundance bless and direct my life more than I can say.

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    April 2, 2012 8:43 a.m.

A few days ago, I was at my favorite thrift store, run by a Christian Montessori school, and was talking to the lady at the checkout. We had chatted before, but not about religion. She asked about my husband, who is terminally ill, and offered to say a prayer there with me for him. I agreed, and she said a wonderfully touching and heartfelt prayer, and we spent a couple of minutes talking about Christ and how the love of God gets lost in some Christian churches. I told her ours never loses that message. I will get a DVD copy of this conference for her. I think it will say, better than I ever could, just how much the Lord loves us and what our church and doctrine are all about. I am so grateful that we have a prophet, apostles, revelation and the structure of the Church. It is such a blessing in this world.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    April 2, 2012 2:00 a.m.

The people who have issues with the Church need to go to Conference and see what we're really about.

• 2 LDS Huntington Beach, CA
    April 1, 2012 10:02 p.m.

I was so amazed at how this conference was just great. It is hard to find the words to say how much I enjoyed it and needed it. I was so thankful that there wasn't a constant theme of single women will get there reward in heaven if they never marry in this life.
    I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk this morning.
    I feel like the quality of the talks were higher than they have been. Maybe it is just me. This is one conference that I may buy the DVD's this time. I know that it really left an impression on me. Thanks for such a wonderful experience during conference. I have grown up watching General Conference and I look forward to it when every it comes April and October. Can't wait until Thursday when I get to read the talks and download them.

• Utah Businessman Sandy, UT
    April 1, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Absolutely marvelous conference, especially the priesthood session. The spirit was very strong there, and it was made more special in that one of my sons was able to be there with me. I was also called to repentance and I know that I can do better. I testify that this is the Master's work--what a great blessing it has been in my life ever since I was baptized as a convert over 50 years ago!

• DanielAZ Tucson, AZ
    April 1, 2012 9:13 p.m.

What a great conference! But I was disappointed that President Uchtdorf did not work airplanes into at least one of his talks. Oh well, President Monson said something about jet aircraft taking busy folks to business meetings or something like that so I guess it was covered ...
    Seems the themes were strengthening marriage and family and also rescuing, with a focus on the Savior. My 2 favorite weekends of the year! General Conference is such a wonderful blessing. I was not born into the church and still marvel that the canon of scripture is open and added to on a continual basis.
    Pretty awesome.

• Anon 808 Waianae, HI
    April 1, 2012 8:22 p.m.

This was the Best Conference at least for me in the 25 years since I joined the Church. I have everything from Oct, 1988 through April 1st 2012 on VHS Tape except for a handful of tape that where borrowed and not returned. I also have a few on CD. I loaned my daughter a music tape to loan to a friend and never got it back and of course we moved more then once.

I asked my daughter one day saying that I never expected to get the tape back but just for fun and giggles what happened to the girl. My daughter said that once in a great while the talk on Facebook and that the Girl was doing fine and had served a Church Mission. I asked my daughter how that happened and my daughter said "lots of prayer and repentance" so I said good and let the subject drop. "Amazed was I, I was I was"

Mine was a run that started a little late 42 but its been a good run, at least I always think of it as such directly after General Conference. Bringing someone back in really really Rocks. Mahalo nui loa.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    April 1, 2012 7:43 p.m.

This has been a Great Conference and most of all a Great Priesthood Session.

They proved to me that they have a much better clue to what is going on and how to handle it then I ever thought they had.

I had a feeling or renewal and fulfillment during and after much of Conformance. I have 7 of the 8 hours on tape and heard to 90% of it even though I may have been multi tasking during parts of it. I did listen and it was not back ground.

I was brought to tears and called to repent more then once. Evan speakers that I do not care to listen to seemed to have something to say.

Coming back can apply and perhaps at times more so to those who are there in the physical body as well as those who No Longer come.

Not much will change until people and for some there support system changes, however it does Not have to be for lack of our trying.

On a scale of 1-10 this was 9 plus.

I thank President Monson and the Church for letting us, "sit at the masters feet" and learn.