Utah

'Wolf' sightings may be dogs or coyotes; attack was more likely dogs

Comments

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 22, 2012 11:21 a.m.

@rifleman
    and your hoping Romany is elected so he will protect all the pet contracts and incentives conservative business owners have with the government. its not really about if someone is on the dole its about who is on the dole.

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 22, 2012 11:02 a.m.

@rifleman
    a bounty for a job that doesn't need to be done, kind of like all the handouts conservatives want with there guaranteed defense contract for equipment the military does not want.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    March 22, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Mountanman

Yeah you are assuming that since I live in or near Salt lake city that I have never laid eyes on a wolf. You would be mistaken. Since I don't know you personally, I won't say I have had more encounters than you, but I have had many of them. I have been up to yellowstone in 2011, saw as many elk, moose and deer as I ever have. Being from Hayden Idaho doesn't make you an expert either. It is simple numbers. People and cars kill hundreds of thousands of big game a year. Wolves kill a fraction of that. It isn't hard.

Rifleman - If killing animals for fun helps you sleep at night, there is something wrong with you.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 21, 2012 9:14 p.m.

Re: Phranc 4:12 p.m. March 21, 2012
    "So then you like being on the dole from the government handouts then?"

"Being on the dole" involves getting government assistance for doing nothing while your neighbors work to support you. Earning a bounty on coyotes involves receiving compensation for work that has been done.

It is a concept that liberals can't comprehend. They'd better hope Gov. Romney isn't elected president.

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 21, 2012 4:12 p.m.

@rifleman
    So then you like being on the dole from the government handouts then?

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 21, 2012 4:04 p.m.

@mounta(i)n man
    interesting how you assume people in SLC have not seen wolfs or know anything about them. Kind of the same way you erroneously assume any decline in elk and moose is tied to wolves. Now if you have some credible research to support either of your claims I would like to see it .

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 21, 2012 2:07 p.m.

Re: Happy Valley Heretic 1:26 p.m. March 21, 2012

If the State of Utah is willing to pay me for what I already enjoying doing free I can sleep at night with a clear conscience.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2012 1:59 p.m.

Interesting there are so many “wolf experts” who live in downtown Salt Lake City who have never laid eyes on a wolf in the wild! Been to Yellowstone Park lately? Did you see any moose? How many elk did you see? I rest my case!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 21, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Yeah I got kick out of some legislator preaching about how coyotes are decimating the mule deer and elk herds so that's why we need 750 thousand taxpayer dollars to raise the bounty on coyotes, from $25 to $50.

What a complete lie, this is nothing more than a handout for ranchers who use public lands and don't even bother to watch their flock. A coyote taking down an elk or healthy mule deer would be impressive, since they mainly eat small rodents and things already dead.

It's kinda funny that the only people afraid of wolves are hunters, afraid of any competition, perceived or real.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Warning to people in Utah; if you value your ungulates, do whatever you have to do to keep wolves out of your state or you will be just as sorry you didn’t as we are in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2012 12:20 p.m.

All I can say is we have a belly full of wolves up here. Just ask our fish and game dept biologists.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    March 21, 2012 12:13 p.m.

oh my you mean the sporting industry and ranching industry are mischaracterizing wolfs yet again? what a shock.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    March 21, 2012 9:21 a.m.

All of these so called sportsmen who are scared of wolves need to get a grip. They aren't going to decimate the herds. They especially aren't going to hurt the herds as much as hunters and poachers do. Hunters kill tens of thousands of big game a year. It would take thousands of wolves to even compare. So get a grip, and stop being afraid of your own shadow. Wolves co-existed with the prey animals for thousands of years before we got here. Why is everybody so scared?