Utah Democrats turn out in rousing numbers for caucus meetings

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    March 15, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Dektol: Yes it was. Sorry you couldn't find a bone to pick on that one.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    March 14, 2012 4:25 p.m.

How did you attend the Caucus last night? Was your John Birch Society meeting cancelled? At least the Democratic Caucus is open to all citizens (Republican, Democratic, Independent, other) so you could attend. The GOP/Tea Party is closed, makes me wonder what kind of secret combinations are going on there.

I attended my Caucus and I saw very concerned citizens of Utah that are scared where the Tea Party is taking this State: house bills to conceal their work, Governors ripping on the Federal Government, unbridled hate for anyone with a different opinion, etc.

From yesterdayÂs Caucus, I was also impressed with the civility of the attendees and their concern for their fellow citizens of Utah¦something foreign to Âme, me, me Tea Party. HereÂs to wishing I could attend the GOP Caucus. I canÂt get tickets to the Jerry Springer Show, but this would be close enough for me.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    March 14, 2012 4:11 p.m.

lost in DC: please, you think that anyone on the Left would point out the hypocrisy in their own posters and comments?

@chs: that is exactly what LDS Lib, dave, Mav and one old man say in every single post. When you call them out on their rhetoric and hyperbole then maybe we can have a discussion on the issues.

You up for the challenge?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2012 3:12 p.m.

I think you could have directed your comments at Dektol, but especially LDS lib in addition to Truth.

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    March 14, 2012 2:49 p.m.

"The need for civility is perhaps most relevant in the realm of partisan politics. As the Church operates in countries around the world, it embraces the richness of pluralism. Thus, the political diversity of Latter-day Saints spans the ideological spectrum. Individual members are free to choose their own political philosophy and affiliation. Moreover, the Church itself is not aligned with any particular political ideology or movement. It defies category. Its moral values may be expressed in a number of parties and ideologies.

Furthermore, the Church views with concern the politics of fear and rhetorical extremism that render civil discussion impossible. "

From "The Mormon Ethic of Civility," released by the LDS Church in 2009.

Something to keep in mind, Truth, as you trash Democrats, and as you attend a caucus meeting tomorrow.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 2:24 p.m.

God is not a republican? maybe not! But I am pretty sure that Satan is for sure a Liberal Democrat!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 14, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Uncle Charles
    Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    I'm eagerly awaiting full reports from Esquire, LDS Lib, dave, Furry and Mav. I'm sure they all attended last night's meetings, right folks?

Yep, I attended.
    I was pleased to see 6 others just from my WARD in our precinct there as well.
    Mostly women, All former Republicans.
    All Good card-carrying LDS folks.
    Doing just what the Prophet told us to do  attend.

I plan on attending tomorrow nightÂs Constitution and Republican Party Caucuses as well. Sorry you are so close-minded and convinced the GOP is GodÂs Party.

FYI Â God is not a Republican.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    March 14, 2012 1:24 p.m.

To Uncle Charles
    Where freedom and liberty reign, utah

Not me. In case it slipped your mind, I am a mainstream Republican. My husband and I are going to a caucus tomorrow night.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2012 12:43 p.m.

"I too attended my caucus just to see who was dumb enouugh to show up....and sure enough they did"

So now people who you don't agree with are "dumb?" People who are passionate about politics but who aren't in agreement with you are "dumb?"

I believe that says a lot about you. It also shows that you might need to pick up a hobby other than mocking others.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    March 14, 2012 12:42 p.m.

For the California Republicans --- what is it about your state being bankrupt that you want to bring to Utah? Your policies don't work, they never have.

Utah is counted as the best run state in the nation. I think whatever it we are doing here is working to receive such high praise.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 11:58 a.m.

@skinny reporter....best post of the day!

I too attended my caucus just to see who was dumb enouugh to show up....and sure enough they did!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Interesting how much there was in the article about the repubs, when it was supposed to be an article about the dems.

The headline was also poor; it talked about rousing numbers, but nowhere gave an estimate of how many attended (at least not that I could see).

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    March 14, 2012 10:41 a.m.

yes it was and the democratic chairman attributes that for the big turnout.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    March 14, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Was a letter read from the pulpit of all LDS meeting houses to cancel all Church activities the night of the Democratic Caucus as it was done for the Republican Caucus?

• Alex Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 9:37 a.m.

@skinnyreporter - If the tea party had their way, the country would revert to the 18th century.

• skinnyreporter Farmington, UT
    March 14, 2012 9:30 a.m.

The Tea Party must be defeated. They believe in such outdated ideas as shrinking the size, power and control of the federal government, reducing income taxes to keep more money circulating in the private sector, and reducing governmental spending. They act as though there's something wrong with spending $1.40 for every $1 in revenues even though that's the way many families handle their finances to get through hard times. If the Tea Party people had their way, the U.S. would stop borrowing from China and would end deficit spending and would arrest President Obama's admirable efforts to spread the wealth by giving money to people who don't make as much money as entrepreneurs whose businesses unfairly compete with governmental enterprises.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    March 14, 2012 9:30 a.m.

with the right, evangelicals and tea party running the republican party it is no wonder more are turning out to the democratic caucus meetings. I really think it is time for a third party as both current parties are controlled by extremists.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 14, 2012 9:18 a.m.

I blame the Republicans they cannot spew hatred against their own party and all others and expect to come out unscathed

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    March 14, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Wow, been waiting since 1973 to read an article such as this in a Utah newspaper.
    The times, they are a changin!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    March 14, 2012 8:36 a.m.

My first caucus. Of the 12 in my precinct, all were supporting Romney but they were upset over losing Senator Bob Bennett. Most were registered Republicans sick with the Utah Tea Party.

I agree with Jenny Asay in the article. A California Republican is the same as a Utah Democrat.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    March 14, 2012 8:15 a.m.

I have watched with interest all of the complaints about the caucus system used in Utah, and find it wonderful that the Democrats had this kind of turn out. This is really a grass roots revival, and if the Republicans have the same percentage turn out, could make for some real choices come the general election. We will see!

March 14, 2012 8:11 a.m.

This is truly heartwarming. For a long while when anyone mentioned democrats n Utah I thought I was the only one :) Just kidding, I know three others in my neighborhood.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 6:27 a.m.

I attended last night. The crowd was huge and I was stunned to recognize so many of my neighbors. They're good people. What was really jaw-dropping for me was the frequently-repeated theme of concern about Republican extremism, women's rights, the environment, and education funding.

I'm sure that the Republican caucus in my area tomorrow will be twice as large, but for a little while last evening it was great to feel like there were a lot of Democrats in my neck of the world.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 12:15 a.m.

"Congress is known for its partisan wrangling and party-line votes, but the environment is completely different in the Utah legislature. Here in Utah, almost all floor votes are decided by overwhelmingly large margins, with Republicans and Democrats alike agreeing to support a bill. Party-line votes are extremely rare.

From Utah Data Points

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    March 13, 2012 11:09 p.m.

I attended the caucus in Spanish Fork -- SPANISH FORK! -- and the auditorium was filled beyond capacity. The organizers were scrambling to deal with the crowds. And it absolutely warmed my heart. I spoke to so many people who were there for the first time, after getting sick of how extremist the GOP in Utah had become.

Maybe we'll get a little political balance in this state after all!