Faith

Reader Voices: Loving neighbors regardless of religion

Comments

• David C. Murray, UT
    July 5, 2015 10:07 a.m.

Anthracite,

The reason there weren't many comments at the time is because deseretnews.com was down/having problems when it came out. I was told that by a higher up at Deseret News Connect when it initially came on line. I'm glad you liked the article and I appreciate your kind words. David Candland...the guy who wrote it.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 1, 2012 4:57 p.m.

So sad. We should be so far past needing a reminder like this. Shame on us that it's still relevant.

• citygrrl SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2012 12:17 p.m.

I commend Mr. Candland for his article. I grew up in SLC and we were one of a handful of non-Mormons in our neighborhood and in public school. It was hard. For those of you who are unsympathetic, think what it's like to have a classmate's parent tell you that "I still think you're a nice girl," or "we would have made an exception for you!" That said, I have heard many of my non-Mormorn peers say narrow-minded comments about the LDS, and I don't like that either. My mother's neighborhood has changed a lot -- she is the darling of the young families who live near her, and they invite her to many events, whereas previously she felt virtually ignored. The format of the socializing is a little different for her, but she takes it in stride and enjoys their company. In the Mormons' defense, I think many non-Mormons are unaware of just how much time the LDS church demands of their members, and they simply don't have time to forge friendships with non-members. Thank you again for a great article.

• Dode Smithfield, UT
    March 1, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Couldn't agree more. Great article. And many in these "Mormon" areas have many family members around so don't feel the need to go outside their "family box". The judgment factor for many is way too high in Utah. The scripture quoted in another comment and also in the article state it well -- love one another. I had a non-member friend who was applying for a job in Ogden and they lived out of state. She asked the current employee what they thought of Utah. They said the job was fine but the neighborhood parents wouldn't let their children play with their children because they had wine with their dinner. How awful is that? We all know who will receive the greater judgment -- and it isn't the non-member friend! She didn't take the job.......

• Anthracite Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 29, 2012 12:34 p.m.

An article this good should have more comments. So ... here's one

• megen Truth or Consequences, NM
    Feb. 29, 2012 11:10 a.m.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Feb. 29, 2012 8:33 a.m.

Great article. Thank you.