Sports

BYU basketball: Cold-shooting Cougars whipped by Gonzaga, 74-63

Comments

• Bono American Fork, UT
    Feb. 26, 2012 12:12 a.m.

Re sandrus
    Because Brock Zylstra can actually execute a half court set, can pass into the post, can pass up the temptation to shoot every time he could⦠and instead run the offense⦠he settles the team⦠there is much more to the game than just stats

Re JonJ
    Calling Zylstra a âblack hole:⦠wow⦠heâd be the last person on the team to get that label. If you actually watch the game youâll see Zylstra directing other players constantly on where to be defensively⦠if you watch the game youâll see Zylstra actually trying to run the offense and get the ball into the post. Sure heâs had his bad shooting games but so has the entire team. Heâs no more inconsistent than the rest. Winder gets a few more steals but canât make a layup. He was 1-3 on layups at both SF and SC at one point in the game⦠thatâs real productive isnât it? Zylstra shootâs .455 which is better than both Jimmer and Jackson shot last year. Itâs better than anyone else on the team this year among non-bigs. And significantly higher than Winder (.385) and Harrison (.327) If youâd criticized his FT shooting thatâs the only place I could agree with you. The team doesnât need big scoring number from Zylstra. The team averages a whole two points less this season (79) than last (81).

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2012 3:02 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

"After watching BYU sports for 40 years, one thing is consistent: no ability to step it up at the end of the season."

You must not have been watching the last seven seasons that Dave Rose has been head coach. I think his record in February is something like 47-5. And I saw a lot of heart and intensity Friday night. Just was not our night regarding shooting, as has been noted.

I was proud of the fact that our guys came back after getting down 17, especially since we were ice cold and couldn't hit anything. 19 offensive rebounds also shows a lot of heart and aggression by the team.

Officiating was questionable, as it's always been this year in the WCC. I disagree with the comment that the reason we didn't get more calls was because we were just jacking up 3's. The 19 offensive boards and 23 pts by Davies shows that we were getting the ball inside a lot. We just kept missing the 2-4 footers, and a lot of that had to do with no-call contact.

Interesting note: in the four games BYU has played against SMC and Gonzaga, the Gaels and Zags have outshot the Cougars 135-71 from the FT line...that's an average of 16 more FTA's a game. Contrast that with the BYU/Portland game in Oregon where we shot 53 FT's to the Pilots' 23 and the conclusion is that these officials are horribly inconsistent, which is the worst thing you can be as an official.

Ah well, just gotta play through it. I was proud of the way we fought and think we've got a great team! Let's get everybody healthy for the tourney and make some noise!

Future's bright!

Go Cougars!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 25, 2012 2:07 p.m.

After watching BYU sports for 40 years, one thing is consistent: no ability to step it up at the end of the season. That includes the coaching. Our guys play with no heart and no intensity at season's end. I'm starting to think it is something in our psyche - when the going gets tough...

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Feb. 25, 2012 10:54 a.m.

BYU's losing at Gonzaga isn't that big a shock, especially without a healthy Hartsock. This may have been a "rebuilding" year for the Y; however, being able to watch nearly all their games on ESPN and/or BYUtv has made me much more of Cougs fan than I ever was before. (I even got to see them throttle Pepperdine in Provo, the first game I'd seen live at the Marriott Center since I was a student at the Y in 1981.) I hope they make at least the final in the WCC tournament, but they are a worthy NCAA tournament team regardless. It may come down to how many of the lower-tier conferences have upsets in their tournaments.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Feb. 25, 2012 3:00 a.m.

ok its simple.. does BYU DESERVE an NCAA BID?? yes
    .. will they get it ,,,no be realistic play in a small conference expect small results

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Feb. 25, 2012 2:51 a.m.

please stop blaming the refs!!

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Feb. 25, 2012 2:48 a.m.

we all knew the wcc is a one nite invite...our cougs need to win the wcc tourney!!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:31 p.m.

PS. Can somebody drop a hint to Brent Musberger its time to retire and maybe get a neuropsych eval for dementia. Half the time I wasn;t sure he was calling the game I was watching.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 24, 2012 6:10 p.m.

Re: UU32

Like I said, I didn't see the game, but from the comments and recaps I've read on-line it's very clear that BYU certainly didn't have a good shooting night. Nor did they make the best of decisions. Still, when you hit more shots than your opponent, you usually win the game.

And I know there has always been some home cooking in basketball. It rarely translates to a difference of 28 free throw attempts. Usually when you see that it is because the losing team is clearly outclassed by the opponent; something like a top 5 team playing a division II squad early in the year. It just seems really strange to see such a discrepancy in a game like this. And it's hard for a guy who didn't see the game to view a box score such as this and not think there was a really strange odor coming from the officiating crew.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 24, 2012 5:26 p.m.

The Cougars had plenty of chances to win this one - forget the "crappy" officiating. BYU missed enough free throws and a few shots underneath to easily win this one. And they make just 2-3 of those missed 3's and there you have it.

I don't like "moral" victories, but I give kudos to the players for their grit. They did not lay down.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 3:05 p.m.

NevadaCoug -
    No question there is home cooking in college basketball - and there was some last night. However, a lot of the free throw difference was because BYU was jacking up bad outside shots for most of the night. Tough to get the free throw line if you are getting in the paint. When BYU plays inside out they are a much better team than when they pass once or twice and then heave up a three.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 24, 2012 1:41 p.m.

Gonzaga made only 16 (out of 41) field goals, eight fewer than BYU hit. The Cougars went 24-for-78 from the field â a miserable 31 percent â and 6-for-28 from 3-point territory.

"Meanwhile, the Bulldogs knocked down 36-of-44 free throw attempts, compared to 9-of-16 for BYU."

1st, I didn't see the game. All I'm going off of here for my comments is what I see in the box score.

Now, I understand that the refs should not be blamed for 99.9% of losses. And I don't think BYU fans are doing that this year. We just don't like the inconsistency we see with the officiating. But, let's look at the quotes from the article that show a couple of VERY disturbing things: How does a team hit more shots from the field and lose by 11? 44 free throw attempts to just 16 for the cougars. That's nearly a 30 shot difference! Something smells to me.

One other thing: the halftime spread was 10 points; which, ironically, is exactly the same difference in free throws made for each team.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Oute
    "Amazing that some of the fans can't just admit they lost to a better team but blame the officials or injuries."

So the injury to Wynnie and White the 24th in the Buff game had nothing to do with the pitiful Pac showing the Utes put on the field last season as utes fans said? Blown out 3 times in conference and a loss to the 2 win Buffs. So the Utes really were one of the worst Pac teams this year right?

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Barney Beaver,
    WOW!
    14 point loss!
    6,000 in attendance!
    Bottom of the 12 pack forever!

• Cougs4 PROVO, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Anybody else wonder why "worst ref ever" still has a job? Even Gonzaga fans hated him. He was pathetic for both teams

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:57 a.m.

COute

So that means you lost to the better team in Colorado at home right? I seem to remember all the excuses that came out from that game too.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:54 a.m.

If anything, this game and overall season show that if BYU has an athletic future it isn't in the WCC or as a football independent. It's either get into the Big 12 or become like Rexburg.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Whoah Nellie, I'm a Ute fan, but follow all in-state teams. I don't believe I said anything malicious or disparaging, but I'm really quite amused that it bothered you. Especially when the retort is "Yeah? Well that's all true...but the Pac-12 isn't very good either!" Actually, top to bottom, the SEC has been my favorite conference to watch for several years, so careful with the assumptions. Oh, and those thoroughbreds of the West, UNLV and SDSU have been losing to some pretty weak teams in their conference, too. The West just looks plain bad altogether on a national level right now.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:28 a.m.

I think Gonzaga had an invisible shield slide out and cover the BYU basket, because they sure couldn't buy a basket for anything. Horrible night for them. We sure missed Noah at full strength.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:23 a.m.

When your team primarily shoots 3 point shots you don't get a lot of fouls called. Amazing that some of the fans can't just admit they lost to a better team but blame the officials or injuries.
    Probably the same fans that keep posting about a 'fluke' loss in football last September and were throwing drink cups on the floor a few weeks ago.

Gonzaga is a solid team, plays very well at home, and outplayed the Cougs last night.

• Idaho tater St George, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 11:20 a.m.

The year is not over yst. Still some games to win. We'll be fine in the future with our 8 sophomores and the return of Tyler Hawes

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:49 a.m.

I can't believe I just read this on ESPN!

The NCAA selection committee has just come out and said that any team with an arena that doesn't hold 15,000 people is not eligible for the tournament. I cannot believe it.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Noah floats this ark, true, but kudos to the Zags for their redemption after getting Jimmered in the tourney last year, even though they always get the home-town call from those three on-court spectators in stripes. The dub-cee-cee needs to up their officiating skills, and stop protecting their perennial darlings in the lilac city.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Otis hilarious with all his pickle juicing comments. Wow he is hitting on all cylinders.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Tough loss but that's what's great about college hoops ute fans, one loss and your not done. But your team has been done since the very first warm up in practice. I don't care if your Kentucky or Duke. No team that shoots that poorly is going to win on the road in one of the toughest arenas. Cougs still need to get it done in the tourney to get a shot. I love it that teams are still jealous of the Jimmer!

At least they didn't get blown out by Cal at home.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:19 a.m.

It's hard to win when your best player is hurt and the officals are against you.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:59 a.m.

RE: Striker, Omaha, NE- "I like these WCC big teams. The fans are great too."

I agree with you. As an SDSU alumn who lost all allegiance & support of that school based on the garbage from their fans and the failure of the school to corral them in any way, the WCC has been refreshing for me. I LOVED the Zag's Student Section last night. They were loud and proud. "You're not Jimmer" & "Na, na, na, na. Hey, hey, hey, good by" chants were classic. I didn't see any students dressed as missionaries / helmets, nor saw any signs about church doctrine or myths.

RE: Barney Google. Beaver, UT- "6,000 in attendance!"

And your point is? Attendance/ size of arenas have NOTHING to do w/ the quality of basketball. Last nightâs crowd was a great collegiate environment to play in.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:48 a.m.

Last night's game was a microcosm of the entire season. The Cougs are a very unpredictable, inconsistent team as a whole, with very little bench support. With the only consistent player on the bench due to an injury, the team was left with what Rose referred to them as-- strong effort but not getting the results. As strong as Davies was in the latter half of the 2nd half, his overall effort was sorely lacking, as was the entire team. Carlino tries to do too much and plays out of control much of the time.

As much as I'd like the Cougs to get to the NCAA Tourney, there's no way they're nothing more than a "one and done" w/ the team they put on the floor last night. To advance in the Tourney, you must have strong point guard presence, at weâre lacking in that regard. Hartsock shouldn't even dress against Portland, and let's hope his knee recovers enough for him to be a factor in the WCC Tournament.

With all this being said, I am more than excited about next season. We're such an incredibly young team this season. This season should plant seeds of âexperienceâ that will reap a ripe harvest & more consistent team effort AND results. Cougs should be much stronger in 2012/13. Go, Cougs!

• Craig Frantz Spokane, WA
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:39 a.m.

metamoracoug

Like I said, the officiating in the WCC is very biased towards the home team. Gonzaga has been absolutely jobbed at San Fran the last three years. Yes, BYU missed too many shots in general. 24-78 (30.8%) FG shooting. That's just not going to get it done. I contribute some of that to the defense, it was a very physical game. BYU is a tough bunch. I still believe BYU is NCAA tournament worthy. That's a pretty dang good team in my book. If Robert Sacre plays tough, the Zags have sweet 16 potential. What a pair of Freshman Guards: Pangos and Gary Bell. Might have been a differen't story if Hartstock (sp?) played. Good Luck the rest of the way.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:19 a.m.

And defensively, the cougars did OK holding the Zags to 39% shooting on their home floor -- in fact, remove the 3 pointers and they were under 36% in two point land. Reasonably good defense for a bunch of mostly freshmen.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:14 a.m.

Free throws? Zag 44 vs Cougars 16? Not a balance game here Refs. Oh well, just keep on trying. Noah just need to rest this weekend and heal for next Friday game at Orleans.

Ute Trolls, don't have anything to say on your "u" comment section and had to come here? Funny people "u" guys.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Here's a big surprise, BYU is not the same team without their leading scorer. That said, nervous freshmen, iffy officiating, away court, cold night shooting, never losing heart - the Cougars did ok.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:51 a.m.

112 pack: I fully agree regarding the 3 point & free throw shooting. The killer though was missing so many easy uncontested layups.

I also don't have complaints about the referees except for the very first call on Davies for hanging on the rim. What were they expecting? For him to let go and fall on the two Gonzaga players? I think that one call set the tone for the entire game.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:41 a.m.

@112 Pack

Don't use logic, that rarely works on these boards. If BYU loses, they are jobbed by the officials plain and simple. I agree with some of the comments on this board. BYU must win the tournament to get in. With the recent losses by Saint Mary's, Gonzaga, and LMU, it took the luster off. Saint Mary's and Gonzaga will probably get bids, but BYU will be on the bubble, and a mediocre big conference team will have the inside track if BYU doesn't win the tourney, especially because they won't have the no Sunday restriction.

@Otis Spurlock

Lol, I agree, the team manager needs to ensure they have plenty of pickle juice on hand to overcome the WCC agenda of holding them down on road games. One can never be too careful!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:32 a.m.

StGtoSLC,
    Thanks for staying tuned-in to all things BYU. The WCC may be losing appeal but still clearly one of the top two conferences in the West this year. The MWC is on top with their thoroughbreds performing in Las Vegas and San Diego. Your favorite conference is probably somewhere beneath the WAC and Big Sky. My condolences.

• 112 Pack Spokane, WA
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Crying about the officiating is weak sauce.

BYU's 3 pointers: 6-28
    BYU's Free Throws: 9-16

Hit 34% of your tre's and 75% of your free throws and pull off the upset. Gonzaga was ripe for the picking last night, but BYU didn't shoot the ball at a high enough %.

Don't make excuses, man up!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:21 a.m.

This game was another realization of how valuable Noah is to this team, especially on offense. Not only did we miss his 17 points and 5 rebounds, but without Noah, Zags were able to focus more attention on Davies and Carlino. Davies still had a great game. Carlino looks brillant at times, but still makes many Freshman mistakes.

Noah should not be needed against Portland on Saturday. Hopefully his knee will be ready to go next week for the WCC tourney.

Looking ahead to next year, who will fill Noah's shoes? Austin backed up by Sharp are the likely candidates. The return of C. Collinsworth always gets me excited, but I've just about given up hope on him. Whoever it is has big shoes to fill.

I agree with some of the comments on Zylstra. I wouldn't pull his scholorship, but Winder and Harrison seem to be more aggressive on defense and none of the three are doing much on the offensive side. Having a shooting guard who can score is a key to Rose's game plan.

Strong possibility we will play the Zags again in the WCC tourney. I'm looking forward to the rematch.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:15 a.m.

@ Honor code:
    You want to talk serious flaws. A serious flaw is when a team like Utah gets to play in a conference tourney like the Pac 10 and has a chance (although a slim one)to win the conference championship and go to the NCAA's. In fact I can make an argument that the lame Ute basketball program has a better chance of this happening than your football program ever will have at winning the Pac 10 championship game.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:08 a.m.

It's hard to beat when you play the zags and the 3 refs to. 8 against 5 is always unfair.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:04 a.m.

I commend Rose for his job this year. Lost 2 big men essentially for the season to injury. playing 2 freshman at gaurd, another as backup big man and another as backup wing. WCC gyms may not be big and glorious but they are difficult to play in. Over time, we'll figure them out. We were not favored last night with Hartsock, without him, the loss was fully expected. I hate that we can't shoot better and while he won't say it, I'm sure Rose is frustrated all the time by that. But we'll make the NCAA tournament and put together a stronger team next year.

And Utah fans: Making the Big Dance and losing in first round is still FAR better than not coming close to making any tournament. Stick to your rebuilding (if that's what you call it) and we'll stick to our reloading.

• 112 Pack Spokane, WA
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:04 a.m.

As far as comments go regarding foul discrepancy, get used to it. Every time you travel in the WCC expect to play against the refs. Gonzaga has been absolutely Homered the last three times they traveled to San Fran. Lotsa home cooking in the WCC; but a pretty good conference none the less. Especially at the top end: St. Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU, LMU, San Fran,.......

• 112 Pack Spokane, WA
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:00 a.m.

This Zags (and Utah) fan gives BYU big Ups! That's a solid, tough team. Hopefully they can win out in conference play, then pick up a couple more wins in the WCC tournament. If BYU goes 4-1, or what ever that number (just one loss) ends up being from here out, they deserve to go to the NCAA tournament. No shame in losing in Spokane, it's a tough, tough place to play. Good luck Cougs and GO ZAGS!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:49 a.m.

Better to be a Cougar fan and lose than to be a Ute fan. How many victories do the utes have this season?

• ppies01 Saint George, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Looking at the Utes vrs CA, 8,000 attendance, what does the Huntsman hold?

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:33 a.m.

Hilarious blather from the Ute fans on this site. Really, the blind leading the blind obviously

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:26 a.m.

Watched a lot of the Louisville - Cincinnati game and then turned to the BYU-Gonzaga game. Big difference in talent levels at least based on the play last night. Y probably gets in the NCAA if they make the semi's of the conference tournament but could be on the bubble when some other teams get upset in their tournaments. (Note- if you want to dispute my comments feel free but this isn't about comparing two in state schools. We all understand one is a good possibility to make the NCAA and the other is really bad this year.)

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:22 a.m.

wow. 44 free throws for Gonzaga to just 16 for BYU. No wonder they rarely lose at home.

• Barney Google Beaver, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:12 a.m.

WOW!

11 points!

6,000 in attendance!

WCC forever.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 6:58 a.m.

I knew this was going to happen, when they ran out of pickle juice at halftime.

• agb Layton, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 6:46 a.m.

Yay! What a great moral victory for our team! As long as we keep trying and playing hard... ohh oops... this is a BYU article not a Utah one.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 24, 2012 6:22 a.m.

BYU Basketball: Without Noah Cougars Sink.

Great effort Cougs, but the refs won't put you into bonus in the first half and you shoot 25%. Nevertheless, the effort you played with was great, no giving up.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 24, 2012 5:40 a.m.

How is an 11 point loss being pounded? I think you mixed up the headline for one of Utah's games. I could see a pounding if down 25 with 4 minutes left, but they were down 7. A whipping is more like 20 points. It was too late for me to see this game, but I'm not surprised they took a bunch of 3's and missed most of them. BYU's had games like this at home where they shoot a ton of FT and the other team doesn't. Gonzaga is a tough place to win, just like in Provo.

I like these WCC big teams. The fans are great too. Hope to face Gonzaga again where there should be an enormous BYU crowd, and probably a bunch of UNLV fans posing as Gonzaga fans. Lame rebel fans...at least it will be in another arena.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 3:36 a.m.

Sorry, guys, but your conference seems to be losing its appeal at the most important time of the season. LMU, who people thought may make a late run in the conference standings, just lost to a losing team. Gonzaga's bad loss last week looked like the opening the Cougars needed to take sole possession of second place, but that's gone. And then the best team, SMC, wouldn't have been a shame losing last week if they had kept it close, and if Murray St. were still undefeated. But they got blown out. And Murray St. wasn't undefeated, which had several pundits wondering if they deserved a bid at all after a loss to a fellow Ohio Valley Conference member. And after all this talk about a 3-bid league, there doesn't seem to be any way in to the dance for BYU now without a conference tournament crown. Good luck.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:59 a.m.

First time I've taken time to watch BYU play tonight and I only watched 10 minutes of it. Loved the chant from the Zag fans "You're no Jimmer" and truthfully if BYU get's into the Big Dance then I'd say there's some serious flaws within the NCAA.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:09 a.m.

On the road, and without your top scorer, I hate losses, but this one actually gave me some hope for the next few weeks. BYU played top notch defense, and if Hartsock is healthy, have a decent shot at the WCC tourney. To get past the first weekend in the NCAA's, those 3-pointers are going to have to start going down, however.

• JonJ Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 12:09 a.m.

Rose is an excellent coach and there isn't much to criticize him about. But, playing Zylstra the second most minutes on the team this year has been detrimental to the development of the younger players and overal growth of the team. Zylstra is a waste of a scholarship and shouldn't even be playing at the D-1 level. Rose needs to strip his scholarship next year and find someone who can help the team win. Look at the games in which he's scored in double figures, it's all been in blowouts against lower level teams. He's a black hole out there when they play against decent talent, and he's not athletic enough to keep up defensively.

Just think how Harrison and Winder would have developed if they'd been given the minutes over the course of the season. They'd each have 400-500 more total minutes and BYU would be a much better team at this point in the season than they are now. Sure they would have struggled at times, but I'm OK with that to be in a better position now and moving forward.

Coach Rose, please free up that scholarship!

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 11:40 p.m.

Tough loss for BYU but I think the NCAA is still within reach. Splitting with Gonzaga, by similar margins, should bode well if we can play well in Vegas. Getting to the champ. game would really do the job. Getting Hartsock healthy will go a long ways to that happening. Carlino needs to get the experience to know when to push and when to hold back-- either way, stay in control. Nice to see Rodgers back on the floor. Davies was awesome in the 2nd half. Still thrilled that THIS is what a rebuilding year looks like. Go Coug's!

• sandrus cedar Hills/ utah, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 11:34 p.m.

How does Brock Zylstra get so many minutes, he contributes NOTHING!!