Faith

Sen. Marco Rubio (is/was) Mormon; Romney-Rubio an all-Mormon ticket?

Comments

• sharrona layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:00 a.m.

Bill in Nebraska Donn: Where as mainstream Christians go, they accept baptisms from each other. Where as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Saints does not hold to the mainstream hold on baptism. The Church of Jesus Christ holds to the fact that one must be baptized with the proper authority. The LDS Church holds that the other mainstream religions has no proper authority to baptize.
    A modern day prophet ,founded by a man, followed by others, who claim to be Gods one true spokesman on earth accountable to no one but God.
    For false messiahs and false prophets(JS) will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.(Mt: 24:24)
    In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.(Heb 1:1-2)

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Feb. 26, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Donn: Where as mainstream Christians go, they accept baptisms from each other. Where as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Saints doesn hold to the mainstream hold on baptism. The Church of Jesus Christ holds to the fact that one must be baptized with the proper authority. The LDS Church holds that the other mainstream religions has no proper authority to baptize, so basically theirs don't count. The mainstream therefore, feel that our baptisms are a mockery, thus one must be REBAPTIZED if leaving the LDS Church. So it definitely doesn't mean it didn't hold.

As for Rubio, we don't know if he is still on the roles of the Church and it is the LDS Church's position not to state who is or isn't dropped from its roles. Generally only the ex who have an axe to grind go public with such a thing. Therefore, anyone guess is as good as mine.

As for flip flopping. Some need to read the article. He is said to be a practicing Catholic but has on occassion attended baptist meetings. So is he baptist, Catholic or LDS is really the question.

• Miss Piggie Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2012 4:43 p.m.

Viva la Migra: "As long as people are looking into childhood religions, at what age did Obama abandon the religion of his birth father and step-father (Islam) and convert to Christianity?"

As noted, this could easily be his first go at his now polished flip-flopping. Good grief!

• donn layton, UT
    Feb. 25, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Re: Sen Rubio,His first Catholic communion at age 13. First Communion must be baptized within the Catholic faith
    The Catholic Church accepts protestant baptisms, all Catholic and Protestants (Christians) invoke the trinity(triune God) Mormons donĂ¢t. His Mormon baptism must not have took.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 25, 2012 4:47 a.m.

I wonder how many people are aware that the Constitution states that there shall be no religious test required to hold public office.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    Feb. 25, 2012 12:44 a.m.

Two good-looking guys on the ticket.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Feb. 25, 2012 12:13 a.m.

"LDS Liberal

Remember how the Utah Republican Mormons questioned, pounced and then dragged Jon Huntsman Jr. through the mud about his LDS Membership..."

Yeah that was pretty rough. They really beat him up about that ... and it's because he's obviously either a non-believer now or at the least very distant from it. It's in his blood, family, state, and all his surroundings but internally I don't think it's in his heart any more. I don't think he believes it logically either. Although he wouldn't ever say that. It would upset his entire social dynamic in Utah from family to friends to politics.

I'm generally uncomfortable with a Mormon as president, especially in the case of Romney, but I was looking towards Huntsman as one of my top picks. I will look for him in the future. He's very cultured and I like the fact that he has a mixed family (both ethnically and in regards to religion). He has extensive experience in China ... the next global mega economy. This is going to be a very obvious tool for the US in the very near future at the rate China is impacting the world economically.

• Alfred Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:46 p.m.

deep in thought: "Having two Mormons on the ticket would make the media frenzy even more ridiculous."

He's not Mormon. He's Catholic. At least has been from age 13.

Look, Obama was Muslim for a segment of his youth and now Christian. And he got forgiveness by the American voter.

• wrz Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:41 p.m.

Eddie: "Okay, let all those who are/were Rubio band wagon member's start jumping off just because he is 'linked' to the Church."

Not to worry... he's now Catholic... Has been for years. Wait, that could label him a flop-flopper.

• Viva la Migra American Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:13 p.m.

As long as people are looking into childhood religions, at what age did Obama abandon the religion of his birth father and step-father (Islam) and convert to Christianity? Was he actually formally baptized, or did he just start attending church without going through that process?

• wkb1005 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 4:46 p.m.

Good grief, the man is a practicing Catholic. Who cares what he did between the ages of 8 and 13? This is such a non-issue.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Cats: Tell me you roll right past Pagan when you're reading posts. Really? I always read his posts, and every one else's. I mean, isn't that the point of the comment board, so we can all sit at our computers and get all incontinent about what someone says that we don't agree with? Otherwise, it's just a waste of a decent work day...

That said, sometimes, I actually understand the point Pagan is trying to make. That doesn't mean I agree with his point, but I get it. This time, however, it flew right past me. I was just hoping for a clarification, which I'm guessing I got from Claudio...I think.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 1:41 p.m.

@Lane Myer
    Rubio is likely counted as a Catholic and as a Mormon as far as the church's own membership roles are concerned since it seems he or his family hasn't asked for name removal from the LDS church. In terms of things like census records he's just counted as a Catholic.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 10:24 a.m.

I'm fine with Rubio as a VP. If he's now less active and goes to another church, that's fine with me. It would be a good chance for Mitt to fellowship him.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Hello everyone, my turn at bat. I actually think it might be an advantage that Sen. Rubio became Catholic, politically anyway. The Catholic religious affiliation won't invite as much negative scrutiny as an LDS one does. Hopefully the huge mainstream Christian community (that is so important for Republican candidates) will look at as a feather in Rubios cap that he left the LDS Church, not punish him for once having been in it. From what I know of Rubio at this time, I really like him and I do see him as a likely Presidential candidate in the future. Since I care about the country and its future, I'd much rather have a good solid conservative in leadership that I share political values with. The fact that we may not now share the same church is not really that important. If Romney had changed to another church, I'd still be supporting him.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 8:33 a.m.

I took Pagan's comment to mean something totally different.

Either he is a Mormon (he is counted in our 13 million members) or he is a Catholic (he is counted in their number). One person cannot be counted in both faiths. Only one faith per person.

Maybe I was wrong?

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 23, 2012 11:59 p.m.

@ deep in thought...
    "No, we wouldn't "love that". It's enough having one Mormon running for president and see the liberal media attack my religion at every opportunity. Some of the articles I read make me sick to my stomach because of the blatant misrepresentations about those things I love most. This presidential election means nothing to me compared to beliefs."

Dude if this is the way you feel, I suggest you go hide in your closet and never come out. This is a free country where people are free to think and speak their mind. The issue of misrepresentation happens to one's church/religion, family, you as a person, your job, etc. The question is how are you to deal with it? Are you going to embrace it as part of life and think of it as opportunity to educate others or are you going to go hide and hope nobody will talk bad about you?

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2012 11:29 p.m.

Pagan-

you should be more tolerant to Mormons.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Be careful Sen. Rubio ---

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Feb. 23, 2012 7:20 p.m.

Anne, I hardly think changing your religion at 13 when you were baptized most likely without much thought at 8 to be "jumping around" religions. It's especially ironic considering most LDS converts are between the ages of 22-28. Do these converts not count as sincere because they changed their religion so "late"?

• Kansan by choice LAWRENCE, KS
    Feb. 23, 2012 6:07 p.m.

uhhhhh NO

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    Feb. 23, 2012 5:49 p.m.

How is it a Mormon ticket when only Romney is LDS? Odd thinking unless Rubio is planning on reactivating, which would be a surprise.
    Frankly, the way Rubio jumps around on religion doesn't exactly impress me. Seems like he is rather easy to change on his stances.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 5:35 p.m.

@Eddie
    Why would people be upset with a connection that ended when he was 13? Actually yeah you're right, people aren't rational. Similarly I expect his favorability among some similarly silly LDS members to fall because now he's an "ex".

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 5:25 p.m.

I thought rubio was a dentist in Los Algodones, BCN, Mexico.

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 5:25 p.m.

@ LValfre

Having two Mormons on the ticket would make the media frenzy even more ridiculous. I know it and I'm sure the Romney team knows it too. We would have full blown conspiracy theories going nuts. Rubio just got taken off the "short list" in my opinion.

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Feb. 23, 2012 5:05 p.m.

Dear Cats, most of us say the same about you. Unfortunately, you continue to post. Welcome to a free society. Feel free to leave your opinion and allow us the freedom to ignore you. And for those asking, it's pretty clear Pagan was referring to Christianity as the one faith. Isn't that what we Mormons want to be called? Pagan does and you have a fit about it? No wonder the people have such a hard time understanding what the Church stands for when its' members continue to confuse.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Feb. 23, 2012 4:46 p.m.

Wouldn't you Mormons love that!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 4:38 p.m.

Dear BYU Aggie and Ned Grimley: Why do you even waste your time reading his posts. It is pointless! Responses are also pointless!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Okay, let all those who are/were Rubio band wagon member's start jumping off just because he is "linked" to the Church. I can't wait to hear all the hypocrites start trying to change their stories, especially all those evangelicals.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Pagan, I have days that I don't have a clue what you are carrying on about. I must be getting old... However, this article does raise an intersting question. If Rubio's name is still on the records of the church, could he and Mitt be the first presidential home teaching companionship? Maybe they could visit Harry Reed...

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 3:58 p.m.

@Pagan:

I don't understand your question. Which faith are you asserting is the ONLY one? Rubio's catholic (like Santorum and Gingrich). Romney is Mormon. So, is the ONLY faith ANY faith?

Rubio is very popular in Florida and among Hispanic voters - making him a very likely choice as a VP.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 2:57 p.m.

Rubio, of course, is the freshman senator from Florida and tea party favorite; it is widely believed he will be on the short list for vice presidential candidates if Mitt Romney wins the Republican presidential nomination. - Article

Well.

So much for religious 'tolerance.'

The claim contradicts itself when you can ONLY be of a certian faith.