Utah

Elizabeth Smart marries in Hawaiian Mormon temple

Comments

• K Mchenry, IL
    Feb. 21, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Who is to say they won't make Europe their home and it's her that needs citizenship elsewhere when studies are complete? I would consider it if I were her.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Feb. 21, 2012 9:04 p.m.

In HI you don't need to be a resident of the state or a US citizen to get a marriage license.

• netmomo Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 21, 2012 1:27 p.m.

God Bless Elizabeth Smart and her new husband. May they both seek the wonderful comfort the temple has to offer and that they will always cherish each other dearly. God Bless the entire Smart family for everything they have had to go thru and the guidance they have given not only Elizabeth but all of their children. They most definitely made it a matter of prayer. I never gave up hope on her being found and working in the criminal justice system, that is a rarity. But first and foremost may they make each other #1 in their lives and by doing so, they will make God #1 in their lives. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU - BOTH SETS OF FAMILY. Marriage is not easy, seek the comfort of the temple. Much love.

• LKIdler Saint John NB, NB
    Feb. 21, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Congratulations to Elizabeth and Matthew! They look so happy together. What a cute couple!

It's wonderful to announce her wedding, so we can all rejoice for her happiness, but I can only imagine the humiliation and re-traumatization of the media rehashing the events that put her in the spotlight in the first place! It's long past time to stop rehashing everything that put her in the spotlight!

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Feb. 21, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Agree with comments that praise DN for a short article, for making it clear that the family released this info, for continuing (as Mrs. Gilmour wants) to keep her ordeal and CAUSE in the news, and for their discretion. Would have liked to have seen, and hope to see, a single photo of bride and groom outside the temple.

Hope Jimmer's wedding this summer gets some press as well. Young people, setting the EXAMPLE of starting lives together by getting MARRIED, and of those weddings being in the TEMPLE... and when the time comes, with discretion, but also joy, adding to their FAMILY. Appreciate the fun and reasonably discrete ways in which Brooke White has shared her pregnancy. Am certain, when the time comes, we'll hear where David Archuleta serves his mission, that he has returned, that he gets married (follow this SMART example) in the temple, of his growing family...

Good news to read. We need more good things to read about.

• NightTrader Nanaimo, BC
    Feb. 20, 2012 1:31 p.m.

@Steven S. Jarvis

You've got to be kidding me. 10 years? You live in Orem, Utah... BYU at your back, and you haven't noticed the hundreds of student marriages taking place between Canadian, European, Latino, Asian and American students? Both my kids (Canadian) married US citizens, and it certainly didn't take 10 years for them to get the necessary documentation, and I have dozens of friends who have done exactly the same thing with little or no hassle.

If the husband is in the US on a student visa, they can pretty much get married anytime they want.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment, but you do not need to be a US immigrant in order to marry a US citizen. Both my kids are now US Citizens and though it took awhile and a few thousand dollars, it certainly didn't take 10 years. You may want to look into finding a different immigration lawyer.

• NightTrader Nanaimo, BC
    Feb. 20, 2012 1:15 p.m.

To those readers condemning DN for imposing upon Elizabeth Smart ... take a reality check. You can be certain that DN does not send its own reporters to Hawaii to harass, photograph and report on the "details" of her life! If you'll notice, the photos used in the article are from Facebook, the information in the article is from "a statement released by Smart family spokesman Chris Thomas". Any other details likely come from publicly available press releases.

That is hardly intrusive.

I also don't understand why some people feel that this article and others like it, are not news. Why not? Is it because it is good news, and not bad? Believe it or not, the world is excited about what she has done with her life, and frankly, I for one appreciate knowing about the good things that have happened to her. She has inspired and will continue to inspire thousands of people who are attempting recovery from horrific events of their early lives. She, and her family have set up a foundation to aid others with such recovery... I don't think she is trying to hide from, or ignore the ordeals that she has gone through. Thank you Elizabeth, and DN for giving hope to so many.

I wish her and new husband all the happiness in the world. Truly a fairy tale ending to this fascinating and inspiring story. I look forward to the next chapter.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 5:01 p.m.

You think she is getting tired of all the attentions? Leave her alone, she is not Princess Diana.

Wish you both well and a peaceful and quiet time together forever and don't allow those medias in your life!

• Rob Logan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Congratulations. So glad you could have a beautiful, peaceful day.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Feb. 19, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Great Mormon Moment.

Do you realize people have been watching her for years, in most cases cheering her on. Yes she is a professional Victim but on the good side. She has the education and knowledge to go along with it.

If you want an out of the place still in the United States then Laie is the place.

The family did press releases in order to give things control and order. Lots of people give Press Releases most are ignored. She has done more then one People Mag Cover and she is legit News. I have always consider the people at DNS to be a News Link for the extended Mormon Family World Wide. It is a soft board and as shuch has it uses for what is clean and in good order.

Other Boards I am sure will spin this differently.

If you complain about who she is and what she has become then you are wrong. As I remember things she was just a 14 year old Teenager trying to get a good nights sleep.

I know she makes a lot of people with jobs in Victim angry because if All Victims where evan remotely like her the people with jobs and degrees in Victim would be Unemployed and the World might be a slightly better place.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 1:29 p.m.

flatlander,

Shame on the Deseret News? "Shaming" is a pretty serious accusation of judgement, no? At least to me, it is. The one thing that really gets me about when people use it is that most 'judgements' against someone/something are made without all considerations possible.

Consider- Elisabeth Smart: a young woman who's been through quite the media circus and will likely continue having the spotlight on her. I'm sure she's used to it to some degree. Her desire to maintain that spotlight in order to accomplish some of her goals is worth noting. Why? Cause again, she is probably aware of the attention.

So, can we safely assume she knows that the news mentions her from time to time? Yeah, I think we can assume this. With that being said, do you think someone with her level of national attention, with her history, and with her ability to make herself heard... do you think that she would be able to prevent these reports? Do you think the D.N. would not report about her wedding if she asked them not to? Do you think the D.N., a paper with support for beliefs such as respect, tolerance, and fostering peaceable discourse and reporting... do you think that they would likely accept such a request from her? I think so.

Think I'm wrong? Fine. I get that. Is it possible I'm right? Yup. And if that's the case, all it really proves is that we both don't know all the facts. So is 'shaming' anyone really necessary, even warranted or appropriate here?

Nope.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Feb. 19, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Did anyone read the article?

The family made announcement that a long time ago she was married in the HI Temple. The paper is just publishing the statement come straight from the family. No one stalked her. No one dug up details other than what the family shared.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 11:31 a.m.

One of the happiest moments of my life was when I heard Miss Smart was found alive. Go Gilmours!

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 19, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Brilliant! What a Smart move! Congratulations to you both. I certainly hope for for you peace and well-being in the years to come.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Some of you who are saying the press should leave them alone really need to think. The Smart family has been providing the press releases and contacting the media through family spokespersons. If the family had wanted to be left alone, don't you think they would have done things more discreetly? They obviously want the publicity.

I agree with IV_XX.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 8:57 a.m.

Considering today's media, broadcast, print, and online, I think this was an exceptionally wise decision. Rather she likes it or not and rather all the people in Utah who complain about her media appeal like it or not she is a public figure who will be watched closely by the media for years to come.

I am so happy that this couple were able to have a quiet wedding with just their families and close friends.

Trust me, as I am writing this, media types all over are being challenged by their superiors to find out where their undisclosed honeymooon location is. There are many who want that "scoop". Too bad they can't be left alone.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 19, 2012 8:23 a.m.

...only thing bad about his news, IM NOT IN HAWAII!

Kudos for outsmarting the media...

Congratulations! from another Hawaii Temple

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Feb. 19, 2012 7:40 a.m.

Thank you DN for mentioning her abuse one more time especially on her wedding day. Nice article she can put in her scrapbook. Whatever happened to a simple: "Elizabeth Smart was married today and we wish her well"

• skylinestar saltlake city, utah
    Feb. 19, 2012 12:56 a.m.

sigh'
    Hey way to Go
    Best wishes to you
    both love & trust,faith,
    good health,inspiration
    and more///

All wrapped in ones
    joyful heart
    Congratulations
    Matthew&Elizabeth :-)

• Anon 64 Oahu, HI
    Feb. 19, 2012 12:54 a.m.

I believe this is News. Thank You DNS. Of course everyone is going to know, but here it is at least clean and in good order. This is a nice young women of good class. She is the former Victim of a Kidnapping and Rape. She did not stay in Victim Mode, She went to School, Went on and completed a Mission, She has both the knowledge and the Education to talk about her situation and her former victimhood.

She has a Degree and from BYU one of the Best Schools in the Nation. Plus a Neat Job with a Network. Plus I bet People Mag has the Wedding pictures.

She made the right choice sooner is much better then later, I am sure some people will have their stop watches out and their Calanders Marked but now its their business.

She is news because she, was news for 9 solid months. She was rescued on a bad bust in Sandy Utah but I am so glad the Cops did that. Of course we wish them the best of luck.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Feb. 19, 2012 12:40 a.m.

I hope that they go to The Maldives for their Honeymoon.

The Maldives have some wounderful underwater hotel rooms, its like being in a fish tank. It would be both fun and private.

There could have No Better Place to have the wedding then in the Laie Temple. It is very out of the way, yet has everything you need. It is right next to BYUH and PCC. The town is Mormon Controled and Laie is both Dry and Closed on Sunday. Yet it has a shoping center and everything else. A Hospital close by about 5 miles away. It could not have been a better pick. There is a Large Stake Center right next to the Temple. The Temple was recently redone and I went to the open house and it is truely lovely both inside and out. I also did a few sessions there when I first came to Hawaii before my TR ran out.

I am so happy for this Couple and wish them the best that can be. I am super glad that they did not wait. Laie is a busy Temple with a lot of Weddings so on guick notice some strings got pulled somewhere but why not. I am sure no couple got cut out or left out just an extra wedding was done. This is just such good news and I am so happy, that they did not wait and that they picked Hawaii. Remember it is Their Wedding and not just her wedding. He is the Priesthood Holder, TR Holding, RM. Show some respect in that regard.

Also she is a Grad of BYU. If she attends its for her Masters Degree.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 12:33 a.m.

Wonderful news for Elizabeth and as for IV_XX: Fox News and CNN have this on their webpage, too. Go Deseret News!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Feb. 19, 2012 12:16 a.m.

Here's hoping their married life together is happy, peaceful and private.

• Butch70 Spokane, WA
    Feb. 18, 2012 11:32 p.m.

I say good luck to the young couple in their marriage and future.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 11:24 p.m.

I appreciate the brief updates on this remarkable woman, and I wish the couple all the best life has to offer.

I also see the wisdom in using these press releases and updates as a preemptive strike against the paparazzi and those who would sensationalize this story, rather than report it with grace.

• frankie boy Dove Canyon, CA
    Feb. 18, 2012 11:05 p.m.

i sponsored my wife in 1999 from Mexico, and then it took 6 months to do the fiancee visa and about 2 years to get permanent residency-and she was eligible for US citizen at 3 years after marriage (as my spouse) if I remember correctly.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 10:54 p.m.

Smart is what they are! Good move, to marry far away from here. Congratulations!

• Lacee Alexandria, VA
    Feb. 18, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Congratulations Elizabeth! May you & your husband have a wonderful life together!

• snowman Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Congratulations Elizabeth. The Laie Temple is beautiful.

Steven S Jarvis: She has known him since her mission. That has been a couple of years now. I'm sure they had the appropriate documentation.

• MarieDevine Divine-Way Kansas City, MO
    Feb. 18, 2012 9:00 p.m.

God bless them abundantly. Elizabeth has shown the power of God's guidance to forgive those who have harmed us and our enemies. She is honored, not for the attacks, but forher peace through the whole ordeal. God's wisdom is powerful and Elizabet is a good reminder.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:47 p.m.

Thanks DN for bringing the joyous news!

• InterestedObserver Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:41 p.m.

This is gr8 news, so happy for them, that they were able to start their new lives in some privacy.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:32 p.m.

Shame on you DN. No bride needs that detail about her life in the paper on her wedding day. A simple report, " Elizabeth Smart was married today, the DN wishes her well.". Is all that was needed.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:22 p.m.

congratulations Mr and Mrs Gilmour. May our Heavenly Father bless you and grant you happiness and much love in your life together.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:09 p.m.

They essentially eloped to Hawaii? I love it!

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Congratulations to the young couple!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Congratulations to a happy couple, and may they find well deserved joy and peace together.

Now, please, Deseret News, leave this fine youg woman and her husband alone. Let the papperazi and the tabloids harry them, but as a class act and nomional LDS Church news outlet, set the example and just let them get along with life without further media scrutiny.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Good on ya Elizabeth!

Best wishes and much love for the Ohana.

• IV_XX Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:41 p.m.

This is news and on your Web site, how? It wasn't news when she was engaged. It wasn't news when she finished her church mission. It's not going to be news when she's pregnant. It's not going to be news when she and her husband buy their first home. It was news when she testified in her case. And when she speaks out about kidnappings and keeping children safe. But now the DNews thinks every move she makes is, at least on the Web, front page. It's really not. Congrats to them as a couple, but please...this is not news.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:33 p.m.

Please, leave this poor woman alone. There's no need for this story or any future stories unless she seeks it. Enough...

Best wishes to you, Elizabeth!

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:31 p.m.

Congratulations to Elizabeth and Matthew as they begin their new lives Together!!!

God Bless you both....

• anneray Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:19 p.m.

Congratulations and best wishes to Matthew and Elizabeth on their marriage! The Laie Temple is so beautiful and peaceful, a wonderful place to be married with their families present. I wish and pray for them a long and happy life together, with love forever.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 7:01 p.m.

I am surprised at how fast they appear to have got government permission to marry considering the husband is not a US citizen. It took my wife and I six months to get the appropriate documentation and paperwork done, and I expect up to another decade to complete the legal immigration process.

Good luck and best wishes for Elizabeth and her husband.

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 6:59 p.m.

Congratulations. This is exciting! May you find great happiness together.