U.S. & World

Feds cap fines for not buying health insurance: $2,448 per person, $12,240 for family of 5

Cap would only benefit those making more than $250,000

Comments

• Jimmyisliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 2:34 p.m.

@Worf...Read my retort to @Red Shirt. Possibly you could give specific examples of what freedoms and liberties have been "modified" by our President as a result of the passage of the ACA rather more Faux News regurgitation via D.N. posts.

• Jimmyisliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 2:27 p.m.

@Red Shirt...I'm still waiting for your retort but all I seem to hear is crickets!

• Jimmyisliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 2:25 p.m.

@Red Shirt...If people like myself which share liberal political ideologies were allowed the same opportunity and platform on this forum as yourself and the regular neo-con intellectuals I assure you would have heard my retort much sooner. First. Could you please site specific examples of freedoms that liberals have taken away from you directly as a result of the ACA as you so eloquently stated? Second. Can you list specific examples of health care costs rising 42% as a result of the ACA being passed? After intense deliberation and investigation how did you come to 42%? Third. Have you experienced any personal involvement with the ACA? Fourth. Have you ever needed to drain retirement accounts in order to pay for necessary medical expenses? Fifth. Have you ever been dropped by any insurance provider (6 days prior to surgery) for any reason whatsoever? In closing, rather repeating back a.m. talk radio and Faux News rhetoric that you regurgitate back via D.N. posts possibly engage in factual research prior to any more repetitive nonsensical partisan posts. We all thank you.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 28, 2014 8:23 a.m.

To "Dragline" but if I am poor or have no desire to buy insurance why should I buy it?

If I am poor you pay 2 times for my insurance. Once for the subsidies, and a second time because I can't afford the care that I would have to pay on my deductible for.

If just have no desire to pay for my healthcare, you will not pay for that because hospitals will not give charity care to somebody that has the means to pay.

So, you can pay 2 times for me, or not at all, and I don't have to have insurance because it costs more to have it than to pay the fine.

To "Jimmytheliberal" why are the liberals so happy to take away our freedoms and make health care more expensive. You apparently haven't heard that the ACA raised insurance costs by 42% for the nation, and added all sorts of taxes to medical device and drug manufacturers. With all of those cost increases, how does that make health care more affordable?

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2014 3:27 p.m.

Why are the usual freedom lovers not concerned about existing freedom restrictions right here in Utah? As usual the true intellectuals weigh in without obtaining actual facts. Meanwhile back in reality people across our nation now have affordable health care for the first time.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 26, 2014 10:58 a.m.

What is the IRS (KGB?) going to do if you don't pay your fine, and there's not enough of a refund to cover it?

Close your bank accounts, or repo your house? Hmm? Jail?

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 26, 2014 9:43 a.m.

"@rvalens2 - Fascism (the melding of government's laws and corporations). No, Fascism is not defined as this. And can you please decide if Obama is a communist or a fascist? Maybe then you will see he is really neither." - Dragline

You really should study the history of fascism. The Italian dictator Benito Mussolini (an avowed fascist) called it "the merger of state and corporate power." I would call the Federal government ordering me to buy a corporation's product, in this case insurance, fascism.

By the way, if you'll look at what I wrote, you'll see I never called Obama a fascist nor a communist. You also never defined your view of what fascism is; since you seem pretty certain that my interpretation is wrong.

If the Federal government can order me to buy health insurance just because I'm alive, what's next?

• Sven Morgan, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:56 p.m.

For you folks clambering for single-payer, you had better rethink what you're hoping for. Medicare is a microcosm of government run, single-payer healthcare. Ask a person on Medicare how often they’re turned down for medical treatments and surgeries, and how long they’re asked to wait for certain healthcare treatments.

BTW, like most government run programs Medicare is poorly managed and on the verge of bankruptcy. Those screaming loudest for single-payer are going to be the ones most disillusioned when it becomes reality. You're going to find out the sacrifices single-payer is going to force you to make.

Obama has lied about every aspect of Obamacare, yet his sycophants trust him without question. Totalitarians always rely on those easily swayed by utopian fantasies.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    July 25, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Obmacare, based on Romneycare is actually more evidence of facism and corporate control of government.

The insurance companies LOVE LOVE LOVE the mandate for you to buy insurance, but they hate the idea of having to give you anything for your money. Hobby Lobby is just a tentacle in that plan BTW.

Note: Liberals never wanted this plan republicans thought up. If you like your Medicare, let everyone have it.

• madsjim83 Layton, UT
    July 25, 2014 4:00 p.m.

@Hutterite and @Dragline have expressed belief that government uses the fine...err....tax, to cover those who choose not to buy insurance.

Since the government is now covering the loses incurred by insurers on the state & federal market, then you could argue that unpaid bills raise negotiated rates, but what of the uninsured who pay their own way? Why are they being penalized? Why assume the uninsured force necessarily force a cost upon the government.

Both of these posters are who misunderstand the ACA. The fine...err...tax is merely a means to force healthy people who in the past chose not to buy insurance into subsidizing high risk insures. That is what is unfair about the ACA and is a large reason why many oppose it.

• Tators Logan, UT
    July 25, 2014 3:40 p.m.

@ Dragline:

The really ironic thing is that even Obama doesn't seem to know a lot about Obamacare.
    Remember, if you want to keep your doctor or your insurance, you can do so... period.

Right. And if we would rather not participate in such a farce, we'll no be charged thousands of dollars per year.

BTW: Obama has been showing signs of preference for both fascism and communism. But as to his overall preference, he's still trying to decide on that. He still waffles a lot. Just like he's done with many (if not most) of campaign promises. After all, his was promised to be the most transparent administration in history. That's become a late-night comedy joke.

And the promise to cut the federal deficit in half sounded really good. Instead, he's almost doubled it... literally. And his energy policies have literally doubled the price of gasoline from the first day he was elected.

And America's traditional motto of peace through strength is now history. There's hardly a nation in the world who still considers America a superpower. Our enemies no longer fear us anymore. We've become a paper tiger.

• Dragline Orem, UT
    July 25, 2014 2:35 p.m.

Funny that most posting here are against Obamacare yet seem to know nothing about it.

@Riverton Cougar says "Then the Supreme Court said it was unconstitutional as a fine."
    No, SCOTUS (acutally Roberts) said the mandate was a tax. And when the majority of SCOTUS says it is Constitutional then it is.

@rvalens2 "Fascism (the melding of government's laws and corporations) "

@Redshirt "No matter what you call it, it is still cheaper to pay the fine or tax than it is to actually buy insurance."
    But then you have no insurance and we have to pay for your healthcare.

@Hey It's Me "Inmates are exempt because when I pay my taxes it covers their healthcare while they are in prison. They get better health care than I do with my plan ! Thank You Obama!"
    Do you really think that Obama started paying for prison healthcare? Really?

Obamacare has problems, but let's keep the conversation focused and realistic.

• Deseretina Murray, UT
    July 25, 2014 1:40 p.m.

Such hyperbole from the freedom crowd! If only they were as concerned about freedom constraints locally... Utah's hypocrisy is almost endearing.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    July 25, 2014 1:25 p.m.

It's a reality that some people will simply refuse to accept responsibilty for themself no matter how much the fine, tax or punishment. I'm not sure its as high as 47% but it's significant none the less. Then again we have local, elected politicans that won't even accept responsibilty for the mortgages they legally entered into. Seems we can find irresponsible people throughout all segments of our country.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 25, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Fascism (the melding of government's laws and corporations) has come to America. We are no longer a free people once the government can order us to buy a service or a product, just because we are alive.

And please don't respond with, "Well, you're required to buy car insurance." There is no requirement to own or drive a car in America.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 25, 2014 1:19 p.m.

I'll pay the fine. Once it gets beyond what I can afford to pay, they call haul me off to prison and provide me with free health care.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    July 25, 2014 1:04 p.m.

RedShirt: "No matter what you call it, it is still cheaper to pay the fine or tax than it is to actually buy insurance."

Don't worry. The fines will keep increasing every year until that is no longer true. The only question is how long it will take for the massive fine increases to exceed the massive insurance premium increases under Obamacare.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:11 p.m.

The 'fines' represent an offset of the cost people who refuse to get insurance impose on government for medical care they can't simply pay for. I'd bet they don't even cover that. Instead of imposing fines, let's get rid of insurance. Replace it with a single payer health care system, cover everyone, and save money.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:06 p.m.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 11:33 a.m.

Obamacare was never about providing affordable healthcare to the American people. This is the reason, collection of fines to finance a broke government.

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 10:49 a.m.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 25, 2014 10:44 a.m.

So I'm confused as to whether it is a tax or a fine. Obama promised us it was a fine, not a tax. Then the Supreme Court said it was unconstitutional as a fine. So either Obamacare is unconstitutional, or else Obama is a liar.

The law Obama could only get passed by calling it a "fine" is unconstitutional, and the constitutional version of the law (it being a tax, not a fine) could not have passed. The Supreme Court essentially made Obama a liar.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    July 25, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Wow! Let me see, I am fined if I don't have insurance, fined if I don't have a permit to use Federal Land, fined if I drive to fast on the Federal Highways. Won't be long until we will become like China and be in trouble for having children.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 25, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Thank you Obama for your care.

Our freedoms, and liberties have been modified.

• madsjim83 Layton, UT
    July 25, 2014 10:16 a.m.

Fine? I thought the Obama Admin and Chief Justice Roberts determined it to be a 'tax'. I'm so glad that I as a citizen in good standing can be fined, wait..taxed, wait...fined, to subsidize someone else's healthcare.

Just because the rest of the world choose to provide sub standard government health care to their citizens doesn't make it right or proper for us to do so. Private health care providers have an incentive to create a product that consumers want. if there wasn't so much regulation, collusion and lobbying between the government and large insurance companies, there wouldn't have been so many people left without affordable health care options supplemented with catastrophic insurance.