U.S. & World

KFC: No proof worker asked scarred child to leave

Comments

• Isafina Logan, UT
    June 28, 2014 9:34 a.m.

It is very possible that the employees are protecting their behinds . . as we all do when we have made a mistake. It is so public that most people would not admit to something that could take them to court. It does not mean it did not happen.

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    June 26, 2014 4:30 p.m.

I worked for KFC and put myself through college. In no way would this be considered acceptable by the company to treat any customer let alone a little girl so rudely and I went through thorough training and I cannot see anybody doing that who would want to even keep their job. I can easily see KFC being so accommodating despite being lied about and putting this little girl before the rotten thing the adults in her family did to try and get attention. I think one thing people have picked up on in this era of the internet when stories like this go viral is that if they have a sad story they can get not only sympathy but money. I think the funds should be put in a trust for the girl for her medical care and overseen by a trustee so it cannot be misused by her family. I am glad for this child's sake people have stepped up to help her. Just curious, does anybody know if it was the family's pit bull that attacked her or did it belong to somebody else?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:57 a.m.

mrjj69

What part of independent investigation do you not understand?

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    June 25, 2014 8:18 p.m.

just because KFC didn't find anything wrong by investigating itself, does not mean the grandmother was lying. it could just as easily a whitewash by KFC to cover it up. sadly, the truth will probably never be known.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 25, 2014 4:48 p.m.

I would tend to agree that there's something fishy here.

Really classy of KFC to still pay the $30k for the little girl's sake though. I may have to stop by there sometime again. Haven't had their chicken for awhile, and I like to support businesses who do good things even when they don't have to.

• RRSJD Central Point, OR
    June 25, 2014 11:16 a.m.

It is unfortunate that it appears this was a scam to try and reach the deep pocket of KFC. To balance the apparent reward the perp gained by doing this, local prosecutors should look into criminal charges for extortion, fraud or other relevant crimes and charge the adults.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 25, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Maybe it wasn't a Pit Bull. Maybe it was a Toy Poodle. I'd actually believe Chihuahua did it.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2014 8:33 a.m.

Screwdriver,

Why do you think the parents motivation was the medical bills? Something tells me with parents as messed up as this, and even though they have medical bills, the parents had a lot more on their minds than just wanting money for medical bills.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    June 25, 2014 7:38 a.m.

If they made it up they should be charged with slander. It's nice of KFC to help with the medical bill though.

Canadians are still shacking their heads at how we pay our medical bill in the US. Parents resort to lying to get enough sympathy to pay the medical bills? Sad day.

• Let's Agree to Disagree Spanish Fork, UT
    June 24, 2014 10:21 p.m.

I know it is not directly related, but this was another Pit Bull attack? Time to consider banning aggressive dog breeds?

• Ezra Adair Kamloops, 00
    June 24, 2014 6:45 p.m.

If the parents of this child made this up they should be charged with extortion and abuse of the child. putting this little girl through this kind of scrutiny is equal child abuse. I hope the child is put into a home that would have her properly cared for and shown the love and affection she deserves not to be used as a pawn for the gain of wealth. Any money these people got should be put into a trust for the child and the parents should never see a penny of it.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    June 24, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Hate to say it, but it looks like the grandmother made the story up, and now she is being rewarded with not only $30,000 from KFC, but a plastic surgeon in Las Vegas who has stepped forward and offered to help reconstruct the girl's face for free - not that the sweet little girl doesn't deserve it.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 4:03 p.m.

@Kosta

Yep Big Ben, that's how it looks like.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    June 24, 2014 2:40 p.m.

So they made it up and got rewarded.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 2:39 p.m.

Wow. People are so quick to jump to conclusions, especially when it involves big bad companies with rich CEO's.

But even the independent investigation found nothing?

Shame on this family if they made this up! If they did this to drum up support for a lawsuit under false premises, I wish KFC would sue them for defamation

Every news station in the country had a story about how horrible KFC was when the story broke.

If this family made it up they deserve to be sued for millions and millions.

And I'd be cheering for big bad KFC and their rich CEO.