Up-to-the-minute coverage of the 2014 BYU Football Media Day

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 10:33 p.m.

@ Cougsndawgs

Sour grapes, much?

Utah is in a P5 conference, and is therefore a P5 team. The week-in-week-out grind has been tough on Utah, as it has been for TCU and WVU as well. But they are not mid-majors. Also, FWIW Utah is 9-1 in non-conference games. That indicates Utah is still a quality program.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 24, 2014 9:27 a.m.

Utah fans...it's real simple. U ARE midmajor...no amount of PAC12 stickers or PAC Country billboards will ever change that. Vanderbilt is midmajor, Iowa state is midmajor, Rutgers is midmajor. Being invited to, or part of a "prestigious conference" doesn't change the quality of your program. I believe your PAC12 brethren have aptly proven that. U are a MW team masquerading as a P5 team in a conference U don't belong in, and other PAC10 schools will continue to prove that point.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    June 23, 2014 9:12 p.m.

Classic U-PAC... "Really, does it get any better than this? Oh my........a junior college football player from the west.......and never knew who BYU was?"

I'll tell you what's better... the fact that you pay more attention to what is happening in the BYU world than 90% of actual BYU fans (I didn't even watch BYUtv today, and I consider myself a huge fan). Not only were you watching on media day, you took the time to watch something as inconsequential as the 50 best plays. You must have been hanging on to every word from the actual broadcasts about the state of the program.

And while you and your fellow "Ute fans" certainly know who BYU is, let me attune you to a wake up call--Utah is not at all well known outside the west, even with their BCS wins. I lived in Miami and routinely talked to others who had no clue that Utah was even one of the fifty states. If the HS football players out east and down south think Utah is a city in California, it is not likely they are watching the Utes play football.

• Simpe Spectator St.George, UT
    June 23, 2014 4:59 p.m.

Anyone making fun of Utah.....you have been spanked by Utah for the last 4 years. Need I say more?

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    June 23, 2014 4:50 p.m.

@ chris B
    Sad for our program because we strive to be the best among our peers? Why put down USU because we are a mid level Div I university? Would you tell Harvard/Yale how sad they don't have dreams of playing for the national championship? I know for certain USU will not play for a national championship. I am almost as certain Utah won't either. How about explaining how Utah will overcome its built in recruiting disadvantage against the premier PAC 12 schools? Utah will be lucky to be a mid level PAC 12 school, once in a while. USU strives to be atop the MWC, a very reasonable and hopefully obtainable goal.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 4:47 p.m.

Missouri loves BYU -funny that you use the boyfriend/girlfriend analogy. Think of it more as Big Brother looking out for Little Brother, and the Big12 is the girlfriend. We don't want to see you get hurt.

Lil Bro: I'm going to ask out Big12.
    Big Bro: You already asked her out. She said no.
    Lil Bro: That was years ago. Things are different.
    Big Bro: She's moved on. She's in a stable relationship now.
    Lil Bro: She just doesn't how perfect I am for her.
    Big Bro: No means no.
    Lil Bro: I'm going to flood her Facebook and Twitter with notes about how I feel.
    Big Bro: She'll just put you on "ignore".
    Lil Bro: You're just mad because you're stuck with PAC12. I can go with anyone.
    Big Bro: Except Big12.
    Lil Bro: I've got it! I'll have a press conference and announce how prefect we'd be!
    Big Bro: That's not going to end well. Ask out Big10.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    June 23, 2014 2:44 p.m.

@Missouri loves BYU

You are one of my favorite people now, for saying what all of us are thinking. utah still cares a lot about what goes on with BYU, and have not moved on.

If they had moved on, why would they do and say the following things:

-"Typically on byu's media day, Utah has a big announcement, just to take what little attention byu would get away from byu." (from Chris B)

-"any time we get to increase the profile of our program and do something that byu doesn't like, its good with me!" (from Chris B)

-"I'm watching BYUtv and they are airing the BYU top 50 plays." (U-PAC)

The first two points Chris B made are sadly very true of utah's mindset. I don't think BYU ever tries to butt in to utah's big headlines or increase our program's profile at your expense. Also, I never watch utah's TV news or highlights like U-PAC watches BYU's. I watch a couple of their games every year, and as far as my interest in them goes.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    June 23, 2014 2:03 p.m.

"I wonder what Utah's announcement will be today"

This just in...

We got a brand new shipment in today of pac12 stickers for our cars which is really cool!

Go Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Michael, Jamall Williams didn't even know who byu was until he was recruited. He actually thought they were a division II Program.

Kinds of hurts their claim that byu is a national brand and well respected everywhere huh?

I've never heard a single recruit ever say they thought a big time program was division II.

I've never heard a single recruit say they thought a power conference program was division II

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:52 p.m.

"We(USU) have no dreams of playing in a major bowl"

LOL. How sad for you and your program.

Not only do I have dreams of a future big time bowl game, I have pictures and game stubs from actual big time bowl games, where Utah smashed the best program in the country right now. And those pictures are right now to more pictures of another big time bowl game where Utah won.

And you guys don't even have dreams of doing that?

• docdages WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:20 p.m.

I don't think either a UTE nor a COUGAR can talk right now.

BYU is very good at hyping up their current "band of brothers" and having every cougar fan drink the kool-aid which makes this BYU fan throw up in my mouth. Put up or shut up! I will wait to reserve my judgement until I see a consistent product on the field. Until BYU starts winning games consistently against the P5 then they can't say they belong.

UTE fans having nothing to boast about either. You took the sloppy seconds from Texas and Oklahoma due to them saying no to the PAC12. So congrats you got in and after 3 years of getting your lunch handed to you that is all you can say that you are now apart of a P5 conference. Have fun being the Kentucky of the Pac12. You may have all of this money however loosing is never fun and believe it or not it is effecting your program's over all heath.

The ONLY thing the UTEs can say is that they own BYU in football. Which if the currently trends apply the tides will turn quickly.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    June 23, 2014 1:20 p.m.

Does anyone else get the feeling that some Utah fans are kind of like the ex boyfriend/girlfriend that says they have moved on but keep driving by your house, hanging out by your locker, following you around school, and worry constantly that you will end up talking to someone who is more popular than they are.... If they have really moved on, they wouldn't care..... Since they care... They haven't moved on.... Which begs the question... If they are really as happy as they say they are.... Why haven't they moved on? Everyone knows that the only answer is that they are not as happy as they say they are...As if they were really happy... they wouldn't care....

• Levin Reno, NV
    June 23, 2014 1:04 p.m.

They've certainly set up some expectations for the changes to the 2015 schedule. Will be cool to see what that is.

I'm getting pretty excited for this season, actually. A BCS bowl winner (UCF), four solid teams with revenge on their minds (UT, BSU, USU, Houston), a bowl team that will give us their best shot (MTSU), a couple of games of solid regional interest (UNLV, UNR), two winnable games against Big5 teams (Cal, UVa) and a trip to UConn. Also looking forward to the visit of Savannah State, with their marching band.

Would be awesome to be play a Big 5 schedule, but honestly, independence has fed that hunger more than playing in the MWC would have.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    June 23, 2014 12:10 p.m.

Steven S Jarvis
    Orem, UT
    I think BYU's record in bowl games since Bronco took over being second behind only FSU nationally speaks for itself. BYU has been great at getting to bowls and winning them more often than not.

Uhh there is a vast difference between FSU and BYU when it comes to bowl games.
    The TV ratings speak for themselves.
    The quality of bowl opponents speaks for itself.
    2nd only behind FSU, geez, talk about fantasy football.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    June 23, 2014 11:46 a.m.

I am hoping that this year and the next BYU plays well enough to force themselves into the national discussion for the playoffs. Getting there is going to be the next big thing while these other bowls including the new year bowls, will be an afterthought.

@Daily Observer

Chris B. makes it TOO easy. HE is the biggest promoter for Cougar football in this state constantly bringing up the program on USU, BYU and Utah boards. He also has created about a dozen or so accounts just to boost up the message board comment numbers on the Cougars.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    June 23, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Ok, here is a template for the future trash talking:

Yada, yada, weak schedule.
    Yada, yada, bowl game.

Please use this for your meaningless back and forth. It will save time so we can just move past such comments.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    June 23, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

You do realize virtually every bowl game outside of the Championship Game is meaningless right? The bowl system was created to keep people happy and quiet about what a joke College Football is without a playoff, and to keep the bulk of the money in the BCS conferences. 30+ teams get to win a bowl game, but only 2 teams got a chance to win a National Title, everyone is just playing for the #3-#25 spot in the polls.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    June 23, 2014 11:36 a.m.

Chris B somehow thinks mid level non P5 teams are worth less than a P5 team. What a sad way to look at athletics. Chris, what do you make of a Harvard/Yale matchup? A nice little entertainment in a nice little Ivy league but meaningless? Colorado vs Utah ?better ?more important?

USU's goal should be to be competitive at their level of play. So far USU is succeeding while Utah is not. We have no dreams of playing in a major bowl…but do have dreams of playing in a mid level bowl with successful programs of our peers. Chris B dreams Rose Bowl…good luck with that. How about a winning PAC 12 season for starters? Until something changes Utah will have a distinct recruiting disadvantage against USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Seattle. Only Oregon State, Washington State, and Colorado appear to me to be equal to the Utes in terms of recruiting potential. I see Utah becoming the Colorado State of the old WAC days…perpetual bottom dwellers with one of the worst records in the country until Lubick came along. Witt is no Lubick.

• theDailyObserver Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 23, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Once again, Chris B has steered the conversation away on byu's 'big day.' And once again, cougar fans have swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, CA
    June 23, 2014 11:25 a.m.

Utah's big announcement??
    My guess is this: "Utah's focuses their energy for their bowl game against the WSU Cougars"

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 23, 2014 11:21 a.m.

These comments have me realizing how good BYU is at getting to bowl games. Can you guys teach us the finer points of dumbing down a schedule so we can get eligible for a meaningless bowl game?

• Randelius SCOTTSDALE, AZ
    June 23, 2014 10:50 a.m.

Utah is going to be adding an offensive coordinator to their already prolific offensive coordinating team, that formed like Voltron last year to stunning results- narrowly missing a shot at a bowl game. Can't wait!!!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2014 10:25 a.m.

@ Chris B

Utah may announce a minor coaching change to buy Whit more time?
    Perhaps they will announce the new door-mats they are introducing for the 2014 season

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    June 23, 2014 10:12 a.m.

@Chris B

Since Utah already has games announced with Idaho State, SUU and just played Weber State. What bigger announcement could Utah make than those?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 10:02 a.m.

Will byu football even be around in 2020? If it is, it will be on par with Weber state and Utah state.

The power 5 will have completely separated and the only playoffs and bowl games you'll be eligible for will be the ones division II mid majors like yourself set up.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 9:59 a.m.

If I follow the circular logic correctly... BYU's best chance to join the Big 12 was back during realignment, but BYU decided that independence was the best way to prove -- years later -- that they deserve to be in the Big 12.

The key thing was admitting that independence has no future.

The Cougars will be ready to jump if there is another realignment. Key word: "if".

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    June 23, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Rich B, how will you know if utah has an announcement? You are too busy on byu or Utah State boards.

Let me help you out...

this just in... utah announces they will languish in the bottom of the pac11.u yet again as well as going home for the holidays instead of bowling.

a related article... utah announces a new offensive coordinator even before the MWC guy gets a chance.

and finally... utah announces a new head coach, mascot, and fight song... but decide to stay with the same color... to match their faces.

• Indy St George, Utah
    June 23, 2014 9:46 a.m.

Chris B.

I wonder if it will be details of why Cory Butler, the only 4 star commitment Utah previously held for 2015, de-committed and committed to Kansas? Apparently Kansas was just had more to offer?

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    June 23, 2014 9:06 a.m.

"I wonder what Utah's announcement will be today?"

How about "We fully expect to be back to a bowl game in 2020."

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 8:54 a.m.

Typically on byu's media day, Utah has a big announcement, just to take what little attention byu would get away from byu. Its not so much we're competing against byu(we own them on the field) but any time we get to increase the profile of our program and do something that byu doesn't like, its good with me!

I wonder what Utah's announcement will be today