U.S. & World

Oregon shooting suspect called aspiring serviceman

Comments

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    June 12, 2014 2:14 p.m.

I am afraid that as long as we keep this culture of accessible weapons to anybody under the pretext of freedom , 2nd Ammendments rights and other non-sense, we will continue seeing kids killings kids, home accidents and gruesome crimes being committed.

My thoughts and prayers go to all families and parties affected by this tragedy.

• Matt9898 Salt lake, UT
    June 12, 2014 8:40 a.m.

To Wingnutty,
    Yes he was no doubt a normal kid. Who had access to a large array of guns and ammunition in his home. I sincerely hope that his parents, who were in effect accessories to this dreadful crime, pay a legal consequence for their irresponsible treatment of home firearms.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 12, 2014 8:37 a.m.

The one nearly constant ingredient in most other random killing events has been the killer having mental health issues, often including use of prescription drugs. This has not been mentioned in this case. Although the information presented indicates a pretty positive image with no warning signs, there may be a lot more that has not come out yet. Participation in JROTC is open to everyone, and people are not screened for mental health issues so he may have been a very disturbed young man under the veneer of normality.

In any case, his actions were inexcusable, and we are lucky that he was stopped before he did worse.

Thoughts and prayers to his victims and the families of everyone involved, including the killer's family.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2014 6:38 a.m.

Good guys become very dangerous bad guys when they pull the trigger. Open carry incident.

• wingnutty Casa Grande, AZ
    June 12, 2014 2:26 a.m.

I bet he was a pretty normal kid going through a hard time of some sort - and happened to have access to pretty serious weaponry.

It's just sad. If he hadn't got those guns I bet he's be home and over whatever it was that had him upset.

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    June 12, 2014 1:03 a.m.

A kid murdered another kid, and your primary concern is that it reflects poorly on the church that he (and you) belong to? How about we not make this about ourselves? How about for once we resist the temptation to nurse our persecution complex?

(And you can bet your bottom dollar if he'd been Muslim, that would have been mentioned.)

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    June 11, 2014 10:03 p.m.

I admit to being a little disconnected to the myriad of shooting lately, but I believe that this is the first one where the shooter was identified by the church that he attended. Maybe I missed that in the other articles about the shooters involved. Maybe I am just a little sensitive to bad publicity for Mormons too.