U.S. & World

More renounce US citizenship but deny stereotype

Comments

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 27, 2014 1:28 p.m.

Okay, pragmatistferlife...

"I would guess that such beliefs as, this is the greatest country to ever exist, are made with little or no studied comparison of other countries or societies."

Please tell us which country (or countries) are the greatest, and what "studied comparison" can you cite?

I personally think Switzerland would be a nice place to live, but what have they done in the struggle versus the Nazi's and the Commies....other than profit from it.

However, I don't know that as a male Swiss citizen I'd want to keep an automatic assault weapon in my home.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 27, 2014 10:32 a.m.

Sorry Jack, but no one has a right to subvert the government.

Mark B - The "Conservatives" you refer to as "hyper-patriots" are more accurately known as Pretend Patriots.

Their "patriotism" is almost entirely PRETENSE.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    April 26, 2014 11:39 p.m.

Being free implies the right even to leave your citizenship behind. Apologies to hyper-patriots not necessary. Hey, the thought of certain candidates as president would make ME consider leaving.

• Jack Aurora, CO
    April 26, 2014 10:31 p.m.

@GaryO
    Self described Progressives and those who disregard the Constitution of this great nation subvert the rights of the individual at every opportunity..

There, fixed it for you.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 26, 2014 8:07 p.m.

Thid Barker -

" America . . . has been "fundamentally transformed".

Good Point. Right Wing craziness has completely gotten out of hand.

Self-described Conservatives and Patriots try to subvert the government of this great nation at every opportunity.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2014 6:04 p.m.

This article is misleading. Of the 2999, I'm guessing the vast majority were driven for tax reasons. I have lived abroad and the US is the only developed country to tax its citizens wherever they live. The UK, Canada, Australia, Western Europe, Japan, etc. do not tax citizens who live abroad - presumably because those individuals are paying taxes in the countries in which they live and they are not benefiting from those taxes since they live abroad.

The US is a great country, yes, but the IRS and its tax regime are beyond out of control. If I had had the choice when I lived abroad, I would have seriously considered it as well. I'm proud to be an American some things need to change, and the IRS is one of them.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    April 26, 2014 4:09 p.m.

That is because the America they once loved and prospered in has been "fundamentally transformed".

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 26, 2014 3:42 p.m.

" This country IS the greatest country that has ever existed on the face of the earth "

And just exactly why is this, and from what perspective do you make this claim?

You know what's hard for some to believe is that you can love a person, or a place and not engage in over the top hyperbole or out right fiction about that person or places qualities.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 26, 2014 2:24 p.m.

Anyone who gives up one of the greatest blessings that has ever existed in the history of the world does not deserve to have it in the first place.

American citizenship is one of the greatest blessings of my life. This country IS the greatest country that has ever existed on the face of the earth and those who established it paid a very high price for it.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    April 26, 2014 11:49 a.m.

The article made several excellent points, and I can certainly understand why some American citizens might wish to transfer their allegiance elsewhere. However, in many of these cases, the decision is to transfer citizenship to countries that would not have been free without the assistance of the United States of America. That gives me powerful motivation to protect my US citizenship at all costs.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 26, 2014 11:32 a.m.

As I look at my career eventually slowing down and consider when I will return to Canada, I, too, know I will have to renounce my US citizenship, even if I sell all my assets and earn no further income here. I suppose it's just part of the deal, although of course I can still come back and visit when I want.