Family

When Satan steals your motherhood

Comments

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    July 4, 2015 12:49 a.m.

To: Mr. Smitty, Salt Lake City, UT - regarding your comment that evil does not exist implies that you have not seen enough of this world. I can show you places in this world where evil can be seen, felt and experienced. These are places that you should be thankful that you have never seen. Your apparent bravado is evidence for a lack of true experience dealing with these issues. I can only say that when truly confronted with such evil, the smile would be wiped off your face. Be thankful that you can say these things don't exist because someone else has had to deal with it so you don't.

• UtahTroutStalker draper, UT
    July 2, 2015 2:29 p.m.

From a Biblical perspective I think Satan contributed to your motherhood. Remember Adam and Eve did not know they were naked and were not commanded by God to go out and be fruitful until after the fall.

Thank you Satan!

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    July 2, 2015 12:49 p.m.

@patriot, the challenge with revealed truth is figuring out what counts and what doesn't. The introduction to the Book of Mormon stated until very recently that Lamanites were the principal ancestors of the American Indians, and for good reason--Joseph Smith claimed to have been taught as much by Moroni himself. The Bible would have us believe that all humans descend from Adam and Eve, who lived a mere six thousand or so years ago, and from Noah who survived a flood even more recently than that; the Bible offers no evidence for these claims, but science offers a wealth of counterevidence. Joseph Smith claimed to have "translated" the facsimiles in the Book of Abraham, but Egyptologists (including Mormon ones) agree that what the facsimiles actually say and what Joseph Smith claimed they say are two very different things.

Long, long ago, people may have thought the earth was flat, but they didn't claim to arrive at that conclusion through science as we understand it. The Ancient Greeks knew through the scientific method that it was spherical. Scientific knowledge is certainly incomplete, but science doesn't claim as fact things for which no evidence exists.

• Mr.Glass Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 5:29 p.m.

@patriot:

In his letter to William Bradford, Madison wrote, "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprize, every expanded prospect." This has nothing to do with PC culture. Just read his letters!

It's ironic that you bring up the famous status of a monkey with his hands over his mouth, eyes and ears, for you seem to refuse to understand and admit the most basic of facts with regard to our founders statements about religion. It appears that you are being willfully ignorant, and I don't mean to say this to offend you. It's really what it appears you are doing. It's just a fact that the founders who were considered the big hitters viewed religion in general, and Christianity in particular, as superstitious and dogmatic enterprises. Franklin also held this view.

Patrick Henry was religious, but he opposed the Constitution, so I'm not sure why you would want to have him as one of your heroes, especially if you cherish the Constitution. Sorry, this isn't PC. It's a fact.

• Mr.Glass Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 5:21 p.m.

@patriot:

Your monkey story was amusing, but only because it appears you are unable to counter Spaghetti Monster's post with argumentation. It's also amusing because you seem to be suggesting that S Monster's claims are based on PC culture. As a matter of fact, his claims are right on the money. His claims have nothing to do with PC culture in the least. Any literate person can learn that our founders were not Christian; they were Deists. It's an indisputable claim.

James Madison said the following at the A Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments: "Experience witnesseth that eccelsiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of Religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 1, 2015 5:03 p.m.

re:Spagetti Monster

Sorry guy but your comments about John Adams are incorrect. Taking things out of context doesn't add credibility to your arguments either. Quite the opposite. Let me explain a fundamental truth that seems to be lost on you. There are relative truths and there are absolute truths. Science once taught the earth was flat - it was never flat and opinion didn't change it's shape. Opinion (yours or mine) have NO power over truth. Relative truth changes as more light and knowledge are revealed. Absolute truth however is the same yesterday today and forever. It never changes. We call them laws. Gravity has always existed and opinion has no power over it. Jesus Christ created this world and worlds without number - also an absolute truth. Jesus also gave laws and commandments to "save us from sin" and allow us to progress. Also an absolute truth. You and I will die and be judged by Jesus Christ - an absolute truth. One day you will see - hopefully you can open your mind and remove the anger in your heart because the discovery of truth is there ...so close and available to all.

• Spagetti Monster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 4:55 p.m.

@patriot:

In a letter to his son, Adams also wrote, "Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it." I think it's fair to say that Adams did not believe in Satan. At any rate, the quote is fact. If you don't believe me, check out a book of his letters. You will find this quote and others that will completely debunk your claim that Adams was a Christian.

There are quite a few writings by people who knew George Washington, and they all disavow that he was religion man. Christians have been dishonestly representing George Washington as a Christian for years. In reality, he was a deist. I would run out of room arguing this case, but you can learn more about this if you are open to evidence.

Thomas Jefferson was clearly against Christianity, and so was James Madison. It curious that you omit these two, for they are founding father heavy weights. Regarding the gospels, Jefferson wrote, "We find in the writings of his biographers ... a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstitions, fanaticisms and fabrications."

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 1, 2015 4:47 p.m.

re:Spagetti Monster

There is a famous statue of a monkey with hands over his eyes, his ears and his mouth. The title is "hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil". In the Western world the phrase is often used to refer to those who deal with impropriety and sin by looking the other way, refusing to acknowledge it, or feigning ignorance. When you steal or kill you feel it to be wrong - it is human nature within you. When you commit adultery (or other similar sin) you feel it to be wrong morally and no one need convince you. It is a natural offense to the human spirit. All sin causes the same pain to your spirit - you feel it is wrong and no one need tell you. Many people simply do as the monkey and "pretend" there is no sin. They find courts to support them and popular media to cover for them. They attack the commandments which they break attempting to marginalize them and all in an attempt to wipe away the natural guilt they feel. Trust your feelings not what PC culture tells you. You're smarter than the monkey.

• Spagetti Monster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 4:39 p.m.

@patriot:

Continuing my point about Adams, please google "fake history adams christianity" and click on the first result and read it. Anytime you see a an ellipsis (...) in a quote, you should read the original source and full context of quote. Sometimes ellipsis don't change the meaning; sometimes they do. The quote you provided provides three of them. I have other things to discuss, and would run out of words trying to describe what was really meant, but website found in the google search I found does a good job. It's not that this is your fact. It's that you don't have this fact straight, and it would be irrational if you continue to argue that he meant you think it means.

Adams did believe in God, but he was a Deist, like the rest of our founders. In a letter to Jefferson, Adams wrote the following: "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."

• Spagetti Monster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 4:26 p.m.

@patriot:

Facts exists independently of those who realize them, so it makes no sense to ask about whether or not a fact is mine. For example, the earth is round. This is a fact, and it's nonsensical to ask if this fact is mine or not. What is at issue, really, is whether or not you accept certain facts, and religious beliefs often result in not accepting certain facts. If you see my facts and reasoning as politically correct much, you would be better off if you relied on evidenced based reason to make your case.

Yes, there are over 100 million Christians who believe in dogma and superstition, and it takes many different forms. Some people have the superstitious belief that 9/11 happened because God is punishing America for its sins. As for dogma, well, it's obvious that religious people are dogmatic. Just look up the definition of the word.

Speaking of facts, your Adam's quote is a cherry picked on. There is a lot missing in the "..." you included in the quote. Leaving out the full context misleads people to believe something that Adam's never meant.

• Spagetti Monster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 4:07 p.m.

@AmkaProblemka:

It appears the JD used up his replies, so I'll jump in.

I don't think JD was trying to say, "Believing in Satan make you feel bad, so it's better you don't believe." Instead, I think he is trying to say that you shouldn't be afraid of Satan because there is no evidence to support that claim that Satan's exist. If you believe in the existence of Satan, you may feel afraid, like so many others do, but its a waste of time because it's just an irrational belief.

You don't need to believe that serial killers, abuser and genocidal despots exist, for there is ample evidence they actually exist. Experiencing negative emotions in the face of real people whose existence isn't questioned by sane people makes sense, but experiencing negative emotions because you believe Satan exists without evidence to support the claim of his existence is irrational. My daughter once believed in ghosts. She was afraid of them, but her fear disappeared when she accepted that ghosts don't exist. Being afraid of ghosts is not the same thing as being afraid of real people.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 1, 2015 3:25 p.m.

re:JD Jones

"The problem is that religion doesn't have reason and the facts on its side. It only has dogma and superstition."

By dogma and superstition I assume you are referring to the words of Jesus Christ as recorded in the New Testament? You mention reason and facts - according to whom? Your reason and your facts? What if I see your so-called reason and facts as politically correct mush? How many Christians are there in America who happen to believe in this "dogma and superstition? Over 100 million. Some rather prominent members of our founding fathers who also believed in this "dogma and superstition are George Washington, John Adams, Patrick Henry, Alexander Hamilton and many more....

consider the words of John Adams...
    "The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were. . . . the general principles of Christianity. . . . I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God; and that those principles of liberty are as unalterable as human nature."

But what do they know - right?? It appears our founders saw Christianity as more than "superstition".

• AmkaProblemka South Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2015 2:27 p.m.

JD,

You are saying - Believing in Satan makes me feel bad, so it's better if I don't believe.

That is not a logical argument. Believing that serial killers, abusers, and xenocidal despots exist brings me negative emotions, but I do not disavow their existence because of that.

We must seek truth, not pleasant emotions.

I don't teach my children to fear Satan. Rather, to be on guard for negative thinking and negative impulses and to pity him, because he dwells in negativity eternally and chose his miserable path.

What I teach them is the peace and empowerment of looking to Christ always.

I don't worry about gender roles. This really is a cultural construct, though built on the framework of a woman's particular gift at protecting and providing for the mind and heart and a man's particular gift at protecting and providing for the body - gifts which overlap in unique ways among couples depending on their talents. I focus on serving my family with the situation at hand and the abilities I have at my disposal, with my husband and his abilities and priesthood, and with our Savior ever central to our plans.

• JD Jones Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 1:11 p.m.

@patriot: I predict that as time progresses, you and others will see that the sky really isn't falling, nor was it ever falling. You know you are in the Twilight Zone when religious conservatives believe religious freedom means persecuting and discriminating against gays.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 1, 2015 12:22 p.m.

actually Satan's first priority is to get rid of the term 'mother' altogether and substitute care giver. The supreme court just opened the flood gates for that to happen last week. I think I saw a Twilight Zone about this once - feels alot like the Twilight Zone in America now days. Let's hope America wakes up soon before the nightmare deepens.

• JD Jones Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 10:52 a.m.

I think it's immoral to teach children that Satan exists is trying to make them do things. It's irrational. I prefer the rational approach of teaching children about the biological basis of negative emotions and how they lead to bad thoughts and behaviors, and I think it's better to provide them with strategies to combat these negative emotions.

Has anyone seen Inside Out? Great movie. What a great way to teach children about their emotions and how to cope with them! Of course, we don't need to tell children that there are literal characters called Fear, Sadness, Joy and so forth. We can tell them that they are imaginative characters that helps us understand how our brain works. It's very helpful, and it doesn't require a belief in Satan.

• JD Jones Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2015 10:46 a.m.

@AmkaProblemka:

We have all experienced negative emotions and attitudes as parents, but believing in the existence of Satan does nothing to improve ourselves. The negative thoughts that arise in my head as I experience negative emotions are my thoughts, and sometimes they are conditioned to arise involuntarily, but we can watch them and judge whether or not they help or harm with respect to parenting. I have made improvements over the years, and I have done so without the burden of believing in Satan. When I misbehave as a parent, I soon realize my mistake, and I do my best to behave better in the future. I also know that doing things that helps us manage our emotions can help us become better parents. Personally, mindfulness meditation and exercise works for me.

I think believing in Satan is ultimately more distressful. Indeed, as a former believer, I can tell you that ridding myself of this belief was an act of ridding myself of the burden of this believe, and others have said the same. Letting go of this belief has not harmed our ability to improve our parenting skills.

• AmkaProblemka South Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2015 9:13 a.m.

First of all, the author is not blaming Satan for her actions. She knows that she is ultimately responsible for everything she does.

Second, if Satan were real, would Satan want us to know he existed or would Satan rather we imagined he didn't exist?

If we knew, with empirical proof, that Satan existed then we would know that God existed. Then the choice would become easy and resisting temptation would also be easier because we would recognize the battle for our soul for what it was. This article is recognizing the stakes, the opponent, and the opponent's strategies in the boxing ring of everyday struggles.

Third, everyone of us can be placed on a line with ultimate evil at one end, and ultimate good at the other. Someone exists at both extremes of the bell curve. No matter how secular or religious you are, we all universally recognize great evil and that it has occurred.

Now, overlay a spiritual existence onto that, with spirits under Heavenly Father having the agency to choose their morality. Jesus Christ has made moral choices making him perfectly good. Statistics tell us someone must exist at the other end of the extreme.

• JD Jones Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 7:46 p.m.

EternalPerspective,

Personally, I have more confidence in Enlightenment values. I view faith claims as ultimately destructive, though I recognize that it also consoles people and provides them with a sense of meaning. The Enlightenment has improved religious beliefs, for Christians no longer burn heretics at the stake, nor do they accuse women of being witches and subject them to drowning or burning at the stake. Most Christians ignore large portions of the Old Testament, or they try to rationalize them away. Most Christians no longer believe in witches or unicorns (References of unicorns can be found in Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Deuteronomy 33:17, Job 39:9, Job 39:10, Psalm 22:21 and more.) They no longer believe in such things, yet they continue to believe in the existence of Satan. Why this one, and why no longer the others?

I believe we should extend the Enlightenment by dropping the belief in Satan on the pile of other beliefs that have been dropped.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    June 30, 2015 3:27 p.m.

Mr. Smitty

I'm sorry to hear you left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I hope one day the testimony of truth becomes your witness again. I'm grateful for the mercy and love of the Savior that is so profound He was able to forgive a wretch like me. If that is possible, which I do know is true, then I also know He can do the same for everyone. But, it's not just forgiveness, rather seeing beyond the physical limitations of this world and our purpose here.

The best arguments the world has to offer against the existence of God and the eternal reality of our purpose here all fall away when a person is willing to receive the testimony of His Spirit into their hearts. I spent all my life until the last 6 years following the world's definition of knowledge and truth. It quite simply does not produce lasting fulfillment, joy, and happiness beyond a moment of fleeting pleasure. Instead, a person must constantly switch the endless pathway of interests, pursuits, and pleasures of popular culture.

I am grateful for articles like this one, though they never pass without much antagonism.

• Mr. Smitty Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 2:01 p.m.

@EternalPerspective:

Do you ever wonder why people try to convince that fairies and bigfoot don't exist? Personally, I try to convince others to reject all extraordinary claims if there is no evidence to support them because I think it's better to rid our world of irrationality in favor of reason. Evidence based reason has a far better track record than irrational claims based on zero or insufficient evidence. I reject the existence of Satan for the very same reasons why I reject the existence of fairies and bigfoot: lack of evidence.

Your argument in support of faith is problematic because Catholics say the same thing you are saying, but the supposed fruits of their faith contradict yours. The same can be said with respect to all religions. Yes, life experiences can help people have a sense of humility, but faith always produces inconsistent results for reasons I've already provided: your faith in existence claims are different than other Christians. Faith is just believe without evidence, and this leads to an every goes mentality. If you can believe in Satan without evidence, you can believe in fairies without evidence. The sky is the limit.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    June 30, 2015 12:52 p.m.

I see my comments were quickly refuted. The truths and witnesses of God require faith and cannot be proven by physical evidence alone. Yet, to those who have received them, they far exceed the glory, praise, and intelligence of humanity. That is the catch-22 of sign-seekers who will not take anything but physical evidence as proof of God.

There is no convincing except for repentance and faith in what has not been witnessed yet. Such a condition becomes compelling often by way of life experiences that humble a person to the point where the world no longer holds merit in producing happiness, knowledge, and truth that is satisfactory.

The process of proving spiritual things for truth has remained constant in requiring sincere desire, purity of intent, and steadfastness to prove God for themselves. But, such will not yield physical proof, but spiritual realities if there is humility to receive them.

I will say...it is very fascinating that when the devil or evil is mentioned, so many unbelievers are extremely quick to deny, but also attempt to convince others there are no such things. Ever wonder why? A day will come when all know.

• Mr. Smitty Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 12:16 p.m.

@EternalPerspective:

You wrote, "The sooner we see our utter nothingness in this mortal state, and total reliance upon God for permanent happiness and fulfillment, the greater true peace is witnessed. Ironic with so many abandoning God for the consolation prizes of this world, but true."

Sorry, as an atheist, I am much happier and fulfilled than I was when I was Mormon. I also have atheists friends who happier and more fulfilled than those who claim they rely on God for their happiness and fulfillment. As for you claim that "abandoning God for the consolation prizes of this word", well, this is nothing more than an ad hominem argument, so we can toss that one of the window. What consolation prize are you talking about? I wouldn't call it a consolation prize, but I can tell you that abandoning religious dogma and superstition has been a plus in my life.

• Mr. Smitty Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 12:11 p.m.

@EternalPerspective: What evidence do you have that there is a Satan? What evidence do you have that this being called Satan has a trick to convince people that he exists? I'm not asking for passages from the Bible; I am asking for evidence. You are making claims about reality without any evidence to support it. That which can be stated without evidence can be rejected without evidence.

Your appeal to personal experience with regard to the existence of Satan and what you believe is good and evil is not convincing. Your personal experience supports your faith; the personal experience of others supports their faith, which contradicts the faith based claims you embrace.

Religion, indeed, the LDS Church, is awash in moral relativism. The LDS Church used to say that inter-racial marriage was bad. They don't say that anymore. In fact, they would dispute it, yet it wasn't long ago that members were told not to question the gospel that said white people should not marry white people.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    June 30, 2015 11:33 a.m.

@Don Manolo

What do you mean unicorns don't exist?!!!

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 11:17 a.m.

@HeidyC

"Is he does not exist, then God does not exist"

See how nicely that flows?

"then we don't exist."

My mirror tells a different story each morning.

"What are you and me doing here, then?"

I can't speak for you but I'm striving to treat others as I would want to be treated, to take care of my family, to teach tolerance, respect, and compassion for others to my kids, and to make the most of the short time on this planet. What I am not doing is wasting time trying to punch a ticket to an afterlife that likely isn't there to begin with.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    June 30, 2015 11:13 a.m.

The greatest trick the devil ever did pull off was to convince the world he didn't exist. The world basks in moral relativism, which denies absolute good and evil forces around us. But, denying because a person chooses not to believe does not change reality.

This article was excellent because it boldly declares that evil does exist and the resultant opposition tries every person who has lived upon this earth. Likewise, because there is evil, there is also good, which seeks to lift us to reach our potential here and in the hereafter. There is no purpose to life without good and evil influences.

To this modern world having departed from God, such concepts are becoming increasingly antiquated and foolish. But, to those who know by personal experience of a greater reality than the world acknowledges, good and evil influences exist. It is the world in all its wisdom that is made foolish unto God.

• Paul Elder Chicago, IL
    June 30, 2015 10:35 a.m.

Satan is ridiculous! Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming the boogeyman. You're human, get over it. Not everything bad can be sloughed off on some invisible bad guy. Shrugging your shoulders and saying, "Get out, Satan," is a copout.

If someone can show me this beast, I'll have a lot easier time accepting it. In the meantime, get over it.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    June 30, 2015 10:27 a.m.

Whether or not Satan exists is somewhat immaterial to the article IMO. I'm a faithful Mormon but I think we often are too quick to blame bad behavior on Satan or say the Lord gave us a particular trial. We believe we are gifted with agency and in general, control of our own selves. We believe the Lord loves us andcares about us but for the most part life just happens.

Satan doesn't make you yell at your kids, you losing control does that. the Lord doesn't put obstacles in you path, he provides you the inspiration and fortitude to endure or overcome them. When we give up our agency, blaming or crediting them to the supernatural we cheapen our agency, we place it secondary to whims of other beings. That isn't in tune with the gospel.

• D. Worthington Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 10:20 a.m.

Some people are complaining that those who argue against the existence of Satan are tearing down the blogger. Actually, this is far from the truth. Believing that Satan is the cause of your troubles is only going to create more psychological problems. I think providing a naturalistic explanations for our negative emotions and behaviors is more helpful than saying some supernatural evil being is trying to make us do bad things.

• D. Worthington Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2015 10:10 a.m.

@HeidyC: You wrote, "Is he does not exist, then God does not exist, then we don't exist. What are you and me doing here, then?"

What leads to down this path of though? Humans came about through evolution. We have non-human ancestors, and the process that led to the existence of human beings did not involve deliberate and conscious creation by a being. There is simply no evidence that God exists, but there is evidence that we exist.

• cbella Sherwood, MI
    March 17, 2014 9:28 p.m.

Being a spiritual person starts with acting selflessly. A mother must be so selfless and needs hope more than anything. There are moments when a mother will realize that she is giving of herself to the point that she has nothing for herself. It is what she chooses to do at that point that makes or breaks her motherhood. Thankfully children love their mothers and are the first to forgive, because this cycle of giving does leave a mom empty at times, which leads to break down. It's the chronic breakdown and our free will choice to listen to our baser instincts instead of our spiritual self that welcomes in the attributes of Satan.
    We cannot act perfectly, but a mother can never stop trying, because that's when she's failed and Satan has won.

And shame on the responses tearing this blogger down. They are no better for it.

• Sasha ?, IN
    March 14, 2014 8:46 a.m.

I find it terribly sad that so many of you have NO respect. Believer or non-believer, you should know better than to use such rude words to tear people down. You should be ashamed of yourself! I hope you teach your children to be a little more mature than you are!

The author clearly has a beautiful heart and love for her children. She is obviously not blaming satan for her parenting. She is saying he finds joy in her failures. He distracts her from being the Godly mom God has called her to be. At least she is acknowledging her mistakes and failures and trying to make them right/better. Let's grow up and learn how to treat people!

I VERY much enjoyed your article! You have a beautiful heart! This is just another tool that satan can use to discourage you! Don't let him!!! Praying for you and the momma God has designed you to be!

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Warlocks and unicorns made me do it!

• The Authority Richfield, UT
    March 13, 2014 10:14 a.m.

I think Satan stole my hot rod. Jesus built it, and Satan stole it.

Oh no, wait, it's right over there.

• sassymomma Riverton, UT
    March 13, 2014 8:25 a.m.

I really dislike articles like this. How about just take responsibility for making a bad decision? Satan didn't make you do anything or steal anything from you. You're just a human being who is not perfect, like everyone else on this planet. Stop using Satan as a scapegoat, people. Sheesh...

• gardninmom Lindon, UT
    March 13, 2014 7:41 a.m.

Thank you for sharing your feelings. Of course you are not "blaming everthing on Satan"--it is figurative for "I listened to, or followed, the wrong voice in my head" and those who don't believe in Satan know we all fight battles in our heads over what is the right or wrong choice. Live and let live on who or what we attribute that to. I wish people would be kinder and more willing to try to understand intent, rather than jumping in to criticize so they can come across as more intelligent, or more "right' or even, as some of these commenters, more "put upon than you." These comments are a perfect example of what you are trying to say here--we all tend to worry about what people think too much, because people are so often too blasted judgmental and unkind. Dare I say "God bless you in your endeavors?!"

• IDBugM Loveland, CO
    March 13, 2014 7:41 a.m.

Yawn! It must be easy for you to blame Satan for your depression and struggles. Out of the 7 Billion people on this planet Satan himself is forcing you to yell at the kids or feel depressed. And then, he sits there gloating or feeling jealous that you can have children?

Some of you people are really something.

• SamiLi Memphis, TN
    March 12, 2014 5:14 p.m.

I really don't think of these things as "satan stealing motherhood." They're all just a mother being a human being. The author of this article clearly has some insecurities about herself.

• MelissB Portland, OR
    March 12, 2014 1:31 a.m.

"Take your kids...and hold them tight..."

I agree. It's what I will remember and my kids will remember, and cherish, the rest of our lives.

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:46 p.m.

So now Obama is out stealing women's motherhood. What's next for that guy? I thought the GOP had waged the war on women, not Obama for heck sake.

• jram Richmond, VA
    March 11, 2014 8:32 a.m.

I think this is a great article and one I can definitely relate to. @Earnest T. Bass I hate to hear that you believe their is no Satan b/c that means you believe their is no God as well which is far from the truth. Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not trust in your own understanding. Agree with Him in all your ways, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes. Fear the Lord and turn away from what is sinful. I'll be praying for you & others that you come to realize this.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 10, 2014 8:42 a.m.

Understanding that Satan -does- exist is what is liberating; when I discoverd God for myself, despite growing up hearing about how he doesn't exist, it awakened me to the problems most damaging to my life.

When I realized Heavenly Father's plan for families, when I realized the distinct strengths and weaknesses we have as men and women, the tendencies of the human family became clear and purposeful to me, and the dangers and follies of those rejecting them became all the more clear; like a pit hidden by a tarp being revealed.

• Arba Washington Terrace, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:57 a.m.

What an encouraging article! Mothers, be gentle with yourselves and think, "Today I am going to remember the One who gives life and knows I am a mess and loves me anyway."

• Ldslady Holladay, UT
    March 9, 2014 1:33 p.m.

It is foolishness to think Satan does not exist. Anyone who thinks such should read C.S.Lewis' book titled "The Screwtape Letters. It's an excellent read by an incredible author and brilliant man. Satan wants us to think he doesn't exist. That's just one of the lies he will convince you to believe. Do not do it. God is real. Evil is real. Satan is real.. SHUN HIM. He is the father of all lies.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    March 9, 2014 11:43 a.m.

To me, the author was not saying the devil made her do anything. She was saying that Satan wants people to be unhappy and is glad when she is unhappy because she is beating herself up for her imperfections. I think she is saying it's ok to be imperfect. Being a parent is difficult and we do the best we can and we don't need to be perfect parents. I thought it was a good message whether you believe in Satan or not.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    March 9, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Perhaps the problem is seeing children as commodities, products that are put on the market to be judged, which in turn leads to us being judged by others.

I have two nieces. One is being raised in a very strict household with many rules and expectations for proper behavior. The other is a free-spirit being raised in a very unstructured home with few rules and much space for personal choice. Both my brother and sister are critical of the parenting of the other. I look at the kids - both seem to be happy and reasonably well adjusted, doing well in school, have friends and so on. The differences? The one in the full-filled home worries about performance and how she measure up. The one in the more open environment questions rules, maybe a bit too often.

Is one environment better? Is one harmful? Both girls will be 11 this year, in another decade we will have some of those answers. In the meantime, my hat is off to any parent who has a kid and pays attention to them.

• Freeyourmind Orange, CA
    March 8, 2014 8:54 p.m.

For those of you saying that this author is NOT saying that "satan made her do it," how do you explain this plain language from the article:

"That's the kind of thing that happens when you allow satan to steal your motherhood.

No, it's not the mistakes. It’s not the forgetfulness. It is what happens on the inside that no one else sees. And he knows just how to get to you."

Here, satan is apparently doing affirmative acts. He is "steal[ing]" this poor woman's motherhood. He is out "to get [her]."

Besides, this article should be read in the context of this person's belief system. That system contemplates a very active devil figure who "inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually" as the Book of Mormon so eloquently puts it. This guy also "drags" his victims down to hell and misery.

So no, I'm sorry. This is not just a simple blog about how hard being a mother is. This is a blog about how motherhood is hard BECAUSE satan is actively trying to make mothers rotten/terrible/lazy people.

• S&F Broken Bow, OK
    March 8, 2014 1:46 p.m.

Hang in there. You see the true indeed, and the truth sets you free! Hang on to what is true, believe it, remind yourself of your destiny in eternity. There’s a purpose in everything. How beautiful that you see it! Hooray!!!

• AmBRoSiA75 Lehi, UT
    March 8, 2014 9:06 a.m.

Thank you so much for articulating this, its just what I needed to read today. I think so many people underestimate satan's game which is exactly what he counts on you doing to perpetuate his long game. ("he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.")

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2014 8:29 a.m.

God is real. He is light, and the origin of all things which are light or which give light. All good things have their origin in Him, interrelating spiritually with His goodness, in one form or another. When we do something which is good and create joy, God may not always have caused it directly, but His influence in us and in the world gave some originating spark to those wholesomely happy events, reactions, and feelings. As we open ourselves to God and goodness, we receive more light.

Lucifer/Satan is real. He is darkness, and the origin of all things which are dark or which encourage darkness. All evil things have their origin in him, interrelating spiritually with his evil nature, in one form or another. When we do something which is evil and create sorrow, Lucifer may not always have caused it directly, but his influence in us and in the world gave some originating spark to those sorrowfully evil events, reactions, and feelings. As we open ourselves to Satan and evil, we become increasingly dark and increasingly impervious to light.

Most things/people/events are part good, part evil; part light, part darkness; part life, part death.

• Elms OGDEN, UT
    March 8, 2014 2:34 a.m.

This story is beyond strange. Parenting is tough enough without fearing Satan, Zeus, or Loki are out to get you. This mother has fears and stress and worries. It's normal, but I feel bad that she feels like satan is on her heels, waiting for her to mess up or something. No one, not even mythological beings, rejoice when we struggle. Odd story, but best of luck to her.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    March 7, 2014 5:44 p.m.

While I'll be first in line to embrace technology for being great for helping people to feel that they aren't alone when they might have once felt like it, I also had to think, as I read this article, that I was grateful that I didn't have so many "perfect" mothers to compare myself with from the internet, either, when my children were little. Of course, I didn't have so many folks to brag to...but I digress....

This mom has some pretty good kids, and does pretty mom-ish stuff, so I don't imagine Satan is too interested in her, long-term. Yeah, I do think that fella's real, but hey, to each her own...and no evil weevil's gonna spend time with a mom whose kid's got a great imagination and may well end up being a novelist with a book to write, or several, by the time she's halfway into her twenties...You go, Mom!! Rock on!!!

• abeachgirl Mililani, HI
    March 7, 2014 4:16 p.m.

The Devil is real. You can see him in many things, however You can see God in ALL things. opposition is a reality.

While we are responsible for every action and reaction we make, it is imperative to understand the forces encouraging us to choose one way or the other. Only when you understand you are being tempted to do evil, or prompted to do good can you make an informed choice. when you understand and can see the forces that are manipulating you, you will have the power to choose between them.

Nowhere did the author blame Satan... rather she gave a wise description of how the devil rejoices when we CHOOSE him. Our choices are what matter. The things we choose to think, say, do, and become are what define us. It is black and white, good vs. evil. Take the time to look inside yourself. I know you will feel the Holy Spirit directing you and guiding you as to what choices are best. You will also feel and be aware of the devil tempting you and leading you down paths of destruction. It's up to you who you will choose to follow.

• Redshirt GlenbeckU SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 7, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Well said Carman (I assume that's your real name)!

You bring up the most interesting point of people pushing their agenda on others when such little is understood. In a perfect world, we would all be more humble and nobody would push an agenda to get gain (or would at least disclose the amount of gain from pushing said agenda). I hope we see the day.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:43 p.m.

I might add, both athiests/agnostics and the faith-based folks seem too often willing to speak with certainty about subjects where little is understood. I think we all may be a bit surprised when we gain more understanding, so a little humility on all sides would be welcome and probably go a long way towards increasing the civility of the conversation.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:23 p.m.

I recently read an article about the "meanness" of comments that were posted anonymously vs those where the poster was required to post under their real name. One quote from the article was: "A communications professor at the University of Houston studying the issue found anonymity contributes to less civil discourse. He looked at online comments in newspapers for more than a year and half and found 53 percent of comments were uncivil in papers that allowed anonymity. That percentage dropped to 29 percent when newspapers required names or links to Facebook accounts."

This certainly seems to be true here on the DesNews site generally, and with the comments for this article specifically. In particular, there seems to be a lack of civility and tolerance for any faith based beliefs, or towards those who do not espouse any type of religion. There are certain folks who constantly feel the need to push their own agenda in a way that is disrespectful, and even unkind at times.

While I respect the right of all to express their opinions, I think we can be much more tolerant and respectful in the process.

• Russell Spencer Boise, ID
    March 7, 2014 11:23 a.m.

CWickyDoo,

It's so nice when commenters actually take a moment to read the article they comment on, huh? It is plainly obvious that anyone pretending that the author "blamed the devil" for her shortcomings did not read the article. At all. How sad; they may have gained some important insights from it. And to you scoffers, Nephi's prophecy seems appropriate here:

And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none--and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, even a lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment.

2 Nephi 28:22-23.

• Homer1 MIDVALE, UT
    March 7, 2014 10:59 a.m.

sheesh, talk about first world problems. Oh no, I can't fulfill an impossible culturally-dictated gender role as maid of the household--must be Satan's fault.

• Don Manolo Ogden, UT
    March 7, 2014 8:09 a.m.

1. Deseret News should publish kla795's comment

2. I'll take that bet too. I bet that Santa doesn't exist either and that unicorns don't either. I know, risky and dangerous, but there it is

3. So what if you're taller than your husband? My wife and I are the exact same height and she wears high heels all the time, and that doesn't make me feel less of a man. But then, I'm not a cop... (sorry, that was rude. Hilariously rude)

• number9 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 12:27 a.m.

Satan always gets a bad wrap, but isn't he an important element in God's plan? No good without the bad, right?

As a non-believer, I think it's irresponsible how people can pin anything they deem "bad" on a fictional character. And for what, comfort? Avoidance? Justification?

I lived 23 years in that alternate reality, enjoyed the blissful ignorance, but eventually, I had to get my head out of the clouds, own up to my mistakes and critically solve my problems. It's more difficult, but worth it.

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    March 6, 2014 8:47 p.m.

To Araanna: Thanks for sharing. Hang in there! You can do hard things.

• HeidyC United States, ID
    March 6, 2014 7:15 p.m.

To: Ernest T. Bass
    Bountiful, UT

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    March 6, 2014 6:09 p.m.

I appreciate the author's insight into a very needed topic. Satan is behind ever last thing that leads men AND women to do evil. Discounting Satan's cunning and desire to pull us down is a dangerous place to put ourselves.

A mother may give her entire life and time in service of her children. Male-domination has nothing to do with it. No one can argue that about our society because for the last 100 years our society has done nothing but reject it. Depression isn't caused by being a mother, or even doing that job full-time at home. I know a young woman who grew tired of being a stay at home mom. She felt like it depressed her. She went to school and work and now has worldly success. She's also divorced now because she chose to betray trust and those who loved her. She didn't leave a depressed life, she found her way into one.

Motherhood is the greatest blessing women have. The article is spot on.

• Jack of trades SLC, UT
    March 6, 2014 4:37 p.m.

Satan made me do it too. Now I feel so much better. It wasn't me. I don't need help.

• LoveWinsAll Riverside, CA
    March 6, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Satan sounds alot like Ego, Ego lives for/creates inner & outer drama & worry, envy, paranoia, automatic negative thoughts... theyre basically the same thing in my opinion, awareness of what triggers it makes all the difference. Pretty good article except crying in her sons bed asking him to pray for her to be a better Mommy, that just seems like some heavy emotional stuff to lay on a 3 yr old :/ My Mom did that kind of thing & it stressed me out I had anxiety attacks

• CWickyDoo Clinton, UT
    March 6, 2014 3:15 p.m.

To everyone who is touting about Satan's nonexistence and this woman blaming Satan for her own shortcomings as a mother:

Did you even read the article? She's not placing blame on Satan for these things. This article is about how we as mother's short change ourselves when we forget what being a Mom is really about, and let these things get to us. She never once blames Satan, the author simply stated that Satan is happy to see us fail. Satan is happy when we get down on ourselves, when we yell and scream, and become negative. I heard this woman's message loud and clear, and I'm taking it to heart. Thanks for posting!

• EmilyPyle Pleasant View, UT
    March 6, 2014 3:05 p.m.

I think that saying "Satan" steals your motherhood is a little to far. Sure we get upset sometimes but we are human. We will never come close to becoming perfect. We will always fall short to the glory of God and if we sit around and say Oh no Satan stole my motherhood golly I would be in a whole world of mess. When we are in a hard situation why don't we pray "God please help me through the hard times, through my impatience, through my envy of the gal who is skinnier and wears better looking clothes then I do. Show me what is great about me." I bet anyone the God I know will listen to our hearts. When I get over heated because my kids wont stop yelling I ask for forgiveness. If a mom can't get off her phone for 5 mins get rid of the darn thing!!! I NEVER give Satan the satisfaction in thinking he won because he never wins JESUS ALWAYS WINS!! I give my hardships to my Lord Savior Jesus Christ. AMEN!

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    March 6, 2014 2:44 p.m.

Great article! Thank you for sharing. I will certainly share it with my wonderful wife.
    Now... off to fish for Bass.

• ChemistryIsMyGame Springtown, CA
    March 6, 2014 2:10 p.m.

It seems from the article you're a pretty good mom. Seems you're just a typical first world stay-at-home mother who has real emotions and real reactions to her situation. Nobody wants a brainless smile with dinner and a drink. Someone like that doesn't ever show their kids the art and reality of emotional processing. You're not less of a person for not smiling through the whole thing. That's not even realistic to expect from anyone, especially yourself. You shouldn't confuse this for weakness, because it isn't. The fact that you soldier on, still get up and do your mom-thing day in and out is proof of strength.

When you shout at your kids, just apologize for not handling it the best.
    When the house isn't clean, recruit the kids to help, and make it a game if they're younger. If they're older make appropriate incentives (Movies are usually good).

Blaming someone else for your shortcomings is bull. Imaginary friends os one thing, but imaginary enemies is... well... kind of crazy.

• Araanna Farmington, NM
    March 6, 2014 12:49 p.m.

This is not Satan stealing your motherhood. This is just motherhood and learning to deal with children and their own personalities. And learning that you can't have a happy mother if the mother is running on empty.

Satan stealing your motherhood consists of a husband abandoning you and your kids. Receiving zero help because you are deemed a bad woman because you are not a widow but a divorcee. Having your kids made fun because they don't have two parents. Having to work full time to make the house payment, heating payment and putting food on the table....all while having more than one pair of soaking wet underwear on the floor (and not caring because underwear on the floor is the least of your worries). Listening to your kids and having to be both mom and dad in every single situation. All the while being told, repeatedly, that you are a second class citizen. You learn to hold your temper when you are in this situation, because there is no. other. option.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 6, 2014 12:02 p.m.

The sooner you guys realize this reality, the sooner you can come to terms with just being good people for the sake of being good.
    It's liberating.
    Just be kind and considerate, no need to blame some invisible 'entity' for not being kind.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    March 6, 2014 11:37 a.m.

@ Ernest, Dennis, & Jimmy:

One of Satan's greatest tools is to convince us that he does not exist. Looks like it is working on some....

• theidma New York City, NY
    March 6, 2014 11:15 a.m.

@ kla795, Thank you! I could not have said it any better.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    March 6, 2014 9:08 a.m.

@Earnest Why you got to dis people for blaming Satan for their own shortcomings?

• kla795 Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 6, 2014 8:51 a.m.

This is the kind of guilt-ridden motherhood I am happy to leave behind. Once I started to understand gender roles and cultural constructs, my husband and I began to work together as a team to raise our 4 kids. I now recognize that 'mother' is an important part of my life, but not the entirety of it. I am still a human being with needs myself. As I have begun to take better care of those needs ( I am back in school part-time for one thing), I have seen the depression I experienced as a stay-at-home mom lift. We share the home responsibilities among the entire family (things are actually cleaner now!) and we treat each member of the family as a human being with needs for fulfillment. I am happier, the kids are happier, my husband is happier (albeit he has more responsibilities around the house - and performing them very well, I might add) and I certainly no longer think it was "satan" trying to thwart me from some God-given assignment. Rather, it is a by-product of a male-dominated society. Love your children: yes. Become the "giving-tree" stump: no.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    March 6, 2014 8:46 a.m.

@ Ernest T. Bass - Bountiful, UT - "Satan doesn't exist."

That's the funniest thing I've heard in days.

Funny, that is, if it wasn't so incredibly dangerous.....

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 6, 2014 8:31 a.m.

I've got to come down on the side of reality too. It's actually a little disturbing to read somebody blaming satan for her own insecurities and issues. What if some of her issues require outside help (or medication) and she is blaming satan rather than seeking the help she (and her family) really needs?

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 6, 2014 6:35 a.m.

@ The Deuce

I'll take that bet with Ernest T. Bass and will add that I think it's a cop-out to blame things on "the devil." Not that I don't empathize with the author of this article. I just don't believe that a being outside of herself is responsible for what she describes and I think framing it in this way robs a person of the opportunity to address the real issue(s). For instance, parenting is incredibly hard and requires enormous reserves of energy every day. Maintaining these reserves requires ensuring that one's own needs are met. When they're not, meltdowns are almost inevitably going to occur.

In short, everything the author describes here can be explained by one thing: Being human. This may not be as thrilling as seeing yourself in a courageous battle of Good v. Evil, but it is real. My bet's with reality.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 6, 2014 5:46 a.m.

@The Deuce....I'll take that bet with Ernest T.....He doesn't exist. You only believe it because you've been told it your entire life.

• csprat Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 11:53 p.m.

This is such a weird article. I appreciate the point that the struggles of a stay-at-home parent can be overwhelming and that in those times people can react by doing things they'd rather not do (moments of weakness, getting frustrated, becoming angry, whatever). It's often nice to read about people overcoming struggles, learning from mistakes, and finding hope. But the whole "satan stealing motherhood" thing is distracting and odd. Plus, I'd bet that motherhood is something the author equates with her womanhood...in that perspective is womanhood and femininity so easily taken? And is that why she's afraid of doing something that makes her appear taller than her husband?

• LadyGrace Rexburg, ID
    March 5, 2014 11:53 p.m.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
    I have been really struggling a lot lately (not a mother, just a student), but this is exactly what I needed is see in my life right now.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    March 5, 2014 7:36 p.m.

To: Ernest T. Bass, Bountiful, UT - tell me, do you really want to take that bet?

• B ob Richmond, CA
    March 5, 2014 2:00 p.m.

I needed this today! Thanks for printing it.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:44 p.m.

Great article!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:33 p.m.

DN and author - thanks for publishing this insightful and inspirational article. It is a description of the real, true world and the real challenges faced by many mothers (from the perspecitve of the mother in this case). Thank God for our precious wives and mothers and for all their goodness!

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 5, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this article. It's really nice to be able to see nice things like this while reading the news, and not just focusing on whatever big, gloomy stories will grab people's interest.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT