U.S. & World

Pope asks people if they used 2013 to help others

Comments

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Jan. 3, 2014 7:26 a.m.

airnaut

We all will say to you that you are welcome to pay as much as you want to help whoever you want. That is your choice. We have a choice too. But you seem to believe you are a better person because you believe your choice is more noble. I suspect you are a little arrogant.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 3:41 p.m.

Third Baker is right. I paid significantly more in income taxes than 47% of Americans, and rich people like Mitt Romney paid millions in taxes, which went to pay for what he uses and for what thousands of other people use(and who believe they aren't responsible for what they use). Even before giving of other ways, me and Mitt have already given more than most.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Jan. 2, 2014 8:56 a.m.

Thid Barker
    Victor, ID
    To his Holiness, Yes, I paid my taxes. That is more "helping others" than more than 47% of Americans who pay no federal income taxes do.

2:05 p.m. Dec. 31, 2013

===========

I suspect someone is a little bitter with the large number of hispanics moving to Victor, ID over the last 10 years or so...

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Jan. 1, 2014 12:56 a.m.

Paying taxes isn't the same as helping people. Paying taxes is one way we obey, honor, and sustain the law. A good portion of the taxes we pay doesn't help anyone, but goes to feed bureaucracy, line the pockets of politicians, and support "services" that exist only to garner votes.

Helping people is when we do good works with our own time, energy, and resources, without the threat of the IRS hanging over us.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 31, 2013 4:24 p.m.

@Thid Barker, you probable received about ten thousand dollars of services for every dollar of taxes you paid, so be generous and happy you are fortunate to pay taxes, and have great new year.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Dec. 31, 2013 2:05 p.m.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Dec. 31, 2013 1:08 p.m.

God Bless his bleeding heart!