U.S. & World

In 'Duck Dynasty' hometown local loyalty prevails

Comments

• Contrariuserer mid-state, TN
    Dec. 27, 2013 12:02 p.m.

@liberty or ...? --

"You oh so tolerant defenders of free speech should be ashamed of yoursevles for labeling someones opinion of morality being hateful or prejudice just because you disagree with their moral standards. "

Phil also said, in a previous sermon:

"Women with women. Men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions. They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

Do you still think he isn't hateful??

"If God doesn't exist then morality is irrelevant"

You need to do a little reading in moral philosophy. Morality does NOT depend on the existence of God.

• Contrariusier mid-state, TN
    Dec. 27, 2013 9:07 a.m.

@liberty or ...? --

Phil also said, in a previous sermon:

Do you still think he isn't hateful??

"If God doesn't exist then morality is irrelevant"

"I may Tolerate what you believe that doesn't mean it is right just because it is legal or free to engage in."

Right.

You believe drinking alcohol is a sin -- yet it is legal.

Similarly, your belief that homosexuality is a sin -- has nothing to do with whether gay marriage should be legal.

• liberty or ...? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 27, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Ok, I can't stand the level of hypocrisy here from the LGBT community and their supporters. Phil expressed HIS PERSONAL OPINION. You oh so tolerant defenders of free speech should be ashamed of yoursevles for labeling someones opinion of morality being hateful or prejudice just because you disagree with their moral standards. Incidentaly if you don't accept traditional views of morality according to Judeo/Christian values just because you don't bel;ieve in them or are atheist you have no leg to stand on. Who says your definition of maorality is right and Phil's is wrong. If God doesn't exist then morality is irrelevant because its then what you want to believe and you have no leg to stand on because your morality has as much weight or validity as his. You people have a perverted definition of the word tolerance as well. Tolerance does not mean acceptance!! I may Tolerate what you believe that doesn't mean it is right just because it is legal or free to engage in. I tolerate Alcohol but oppose it, Do I hate Alcoholics?, I oppose drugs, do I hate drug addicts? I oppose sex outside of marriage..

• Contrariuser mid-state, TN
    Dec. 26, 2013 3:40 p.m.

@sharrona --

"See the parallel here? No"

I bet everyone else does.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 3:07 p.m.

RE: Contrariusiest"“… See the parallel here? No,

What do rocks dream about? Nothing.

RE: happy2bhere, God is love but he is also Just, •God justifies those who believe in Jesus (Rom. 3:26)

The fall: The serpent, directly contradicted God's word and impugns God's motives, ".you will be like God," 3:5. God tempts no one(James 1;13-14)

"But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds(LDS) should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. 4 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus(exalted man) whom we have not preached, 2 Cor. 11:3-4.

“Saved “from what, what we are saved from is really a who—God Himself. That the glory of the gospel is that the One from whom we need to be saved is the very One who saves us.
    …Liike the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. Eph 2:3

Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s Wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies… (Romans 5:9-11)

Last post(4)

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 9:03 a.m.

sharrona

You really believe that you sinned because you were born? Even though you were not capable of evil thoughts, murder, adultery, ect? How did that ever become Christian fundamentalist thinking? Talk about the need for a Prophet today. One thing I know about God is that he is just and reasonable. Condemning a baby to hell or anyplace else other than "heaven" because he is sinful and had not been baptized, is neither just or reasonable. My question is rehetorical sharrona, because I'm sure you will try to come back with all kinds of (interpreted) scripture to justify that belief. It won't help, because other interpreted reading of scrupture could just as easily refute your point. But if you want to defend God as being just with that doctrine, then I'd be interested why you would believe in such a God. To me that would be an evil God. Not a loving one.

• Contrariusier mid-state, TN
    Dec. 26, 2013 8:54 a.m.

@sharrona --

"Do airplanes sin?"

A famous complaint from the early days of human flight goes like this: If God had meant for us to fly, he'd have given us wings.

Those folks thought that, since airplanes weren't mentioned in the Bible, they must be sinful.

See the parallel here?

• sharrona layton, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Contrariusiest,“…there is no new thing under the sun Ecc 1:9(man’s corruption). -- so the Bible DOES talk about airplanes???

Do airplanes sin?

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?(Jer 17:9)

Look, I was guilty of sin from birth ,a sinner the moment my mother conceived me.(Psalm 51:5)

For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander(Mt 15:19 NLT)

Romans 5:12…, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all people because all sinned.. V 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of one man many will be made righteous.

God is the ultimate author of all the books and letters in the Bible though it was spoken and/or written by the Prophets, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Apostles as they were inspired and moved by the Holy Spirit. (II Peter1:20-21).

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Contrarius

You and others continually explain why we need a living modern day prophet. Bible bashing, which is what I've been reading, is why there are so many Christian churches that teach different things. I'd be a member of none of them, as I was much of my life, until I found faith that God did not abandon us to trying to interpret ancient scripture to find the truth. He didn't and so I'm LDS. Otherwise my Sunday religion would be football and beer.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 7:35 a.m.

dotGone

I'd never seen or heard of the show. Now I've watched it a few times, and I agree, those beards would be hard to eat with. I prefer to goonball characters on the auto restoration shows or Pawn Stars. In any case, I'm sure A&E Network is making a lot of money now that they have run a marathon of Duck Dynasty over the Christmas holiday. The viewership is bound to increase. And when it comes to money, liberal or conservative, money talks and you know what walks. It's money that matters in the USA. I think I heard that in a song once.

• Big Joe V Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Dec. 25, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Sad. We believe in "spin" and not context. Hurt feelings are tantamount to reality. I like the country logic of Abraham Lincoln. "If you called the tail of a dog a leg, how many legs would a dog have"? This group is forcing the the world to accept a reality of five legged dogs. I will die for the right to free speech to state a dog has four legs and a tail and not be forced to accept the new reality of five legged dogs.

• psalms91 olivehurst, CA
    Dec. 24, 2013 5:47 p.m.

i love duck dynastry, i couldnt wait to show it to my 27 year old, to show there other ways than just yuppy dumb stuff . i believe the Lord is using phil and others like him to seperate the good from the bad whose side will you be on?? i will serve the Lord

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Dec. 24, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Well, back to Duck Dynasty, y'all!! ... I don't watch because the beards gag me. Really, I could lose weight by looking at the beards before every meal and picturing all the crumbs and junk caught in their beards. Gag! As for his opinions or observations, I don't care. It's only interesting. All kinds of people in this huge diverse country have all kinds of opinions. Does it hurt you? Has a crime been committed? Is it any more offensive that the Jersey Shore culture where many extreme opinions were also expressed by unusual looking people. So?

• Contrariusiest mid-state, TN
    Dec. 24, 2013 10:08 a.m.

@defibman --

" Good Luck with trying to do that with gay and leisbian couples. "

There are plenty of human beings on Earth already. Marriages in the 5% of the population that's LGBT aren't going to threaten anything.

"Even the animals know better than to be gay. "

Actually, many many species of nonhuman animals out in nature practice homosexual behaviors all the time. It's a perfectly natural thing to do.

@sharrona --
    layton, UT

"“…there is no new thing under the sun Ecc 1:9.” "

Wait -- so the Bible DOES talk about airplanes???

;-D

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 9:53 a.m.

@defibman;

Don't you mean the commandment god gave Adam and his SECOND wife? Eve was the consolation prize after Lilith refused to submit herself to Adam's controlling, masculine nature.

It's not like humanity has been around for over 200,000 years though.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 9:32 a.m.

RE: Circumstances change as society evolves. The Bible never talked about airplanes, either -- but that doesn't make them immoral.

“…there is no new thing under the sun Ecc 1:9.” Per Solomon, ‘Human’s hearts’ and their corruptions are the same now as in former times.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9)

(Jesus) said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I Am who I claim to be,[a] you will die in your sins.”(John 8:24)

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 9:26 a.m.

If many of you would just go back to the first commandment that was given by God, you would see that it was to Adan and Eve to Multiply and replenish the Earth. Good Luck with trying to do that with gay and leisbian couples.
    This is not a left vs right thing. It is a right vs wrong thing. Even the animals know better than to be gay. You can say that this is all that conservatives have left all you want but, just look at the what the wrong side has left......nothing! They keep and will keep getting confused and chasing their tails and when they finally catch it, they do not know what to do with it. So they let it go and start chasing it again.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 8:59 a.m.

patriot says:

"Your New Testament knowledge needs a bit of refreshing I'm afraid. Jesus said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" at Mary. Remember?? "

---

Now who needs the "refresher course" on the bible? You do. The NT does NOT say that Mary was the "sinner" Jesus forgave.

• Contrariusier mid-state, TN
    Dec. 24, 2013 8:16 a.m.

@sharrona --

"Others, though, were moral codes, and as such are timeless."

Stoning adulterers was a moral code. Is it timeless?

Killing children who talked back to their parents was a moral code. Is it timeless?

Levirate marriage was a moral code. Is it timeless?

"Honor your Father and Mother”[not significant Other]"

You are confusing parents with spouses here.

And of course they would have honored father and mother (as opposed to father and father or mother and mother). They had no reproductive technologies, and little in the way of adoption.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 8:13 a.m.

They are all conservatives have left.

• Michael Matthews Omaha, NE
    Dec. 24, 2013 5:30 a.m.

@ Momma

You shouldn't be offended. The comments aren't directed at non Utah Mormons. Nor are they all being made by Mormons in Utah. Perhaps Utahans, but not all are Mormon.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 4:59 p.m.

RE: Contrariuserer, The Old Testament : The Holiness Code contained different types of commands. Some were related to dietary regulations or to ceremonial cleanliness, and these have been done away with in the New Testament (Col. 2:16-17; Rom. 14:1-3). Others, though, were moral codes, and as such are timeless.

Thus incest, child sacrifice, homosexuality, bestiality, adultery, and the like, are still abominations before God. E.g…

Ephs 6:2,3. Honor your Father and Mother”[not significant Other],which is the first commandment(Not a suggestion) with a promise. God distinguishes father and mother from all other persons on earth, chooses them and sets them next to Himself, occupying the highest place in our lives next to God. And
    Mother Teresa(Celibate) loved those who had same-sex attractions, but she still called them to purity. In fact, it is precisely because she loved them that she called them to practice chastity.
    It is a false form of compassion to lead others to think that they can find fulfillment by living outside the will of God.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Dec. 23, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Oh, Patriot --

I did take a quick look at the beginning of that article just now. Thanks, it gave me a great laugh.

One of the author's first claims is that Paul must have been married. Seriously, did he even read Corinthians??

Amongst other things, Paul very very specifically stated: "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do." (1 Cor 7:8)

Does this author think Paul was lying, or what??

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Dec. 23, 2013 4:14 p.m.

@patriot --

"That was the Jews and the law of Moses. "

That bit about homosexuality being an abomination was also the law of Moses.

Christ himself never said a single word against homosexuality.

" As far as your hang up on marriage and the Apostle Paul .. your confused and taking scripture out of context doesn't work. "

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Of course, you haven't actually explained away Paul's multiple statements, as I quoted them.

"Again - read the article I suggested regarding Paul "

Nope, sorry. "Send me to the library" is a very old debating trick, and it doesn't work. If you have evidence to present that explains away Paul's statements, then present your evidence. Otherwise, you have nothing.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 3:53 p.m.

re:Contrarius

Christians don't stone adulterers. That was the Jews and the law of Moses. Christ fulfilled the law of Moses. Go back and read about the story of Mary Magdalene and Jesus and hopefully that will help you at least understand the difference between the law of Moses and what Jesus taught. As far as your hang up on marriage and the Apostle Paul .. your confused and taking scripture out of context doesn't work. Again - read the article I suggested regarding Paul and marriage and then if you have further questions I would be happy to answer. Honestly guy - it is a REALLY good article and will help you understand so long as you have an open heart and mind and really 'want' to understand.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Dec. 23, 2013 2:16 p.m.

@patriot --

"As far as your misunderstanding of the teachings of the Apostle Paul... "

Tsk, Patriot.

1 Cor 7:1 -- "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”

1 Cor: 7:8 -- "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do."

1 Cor 7:27 -- "Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. "

1 Cor 7:28 -- "But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this."

1 Cor 7:38 -- "So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better."

" there is no such thing as a pick and choose Christian "

Do you eat shellfish?

Do you stone adulterers?

Are you married?

"Jesus gave us COMMANDMENTS not suggestions. "

There is no commandment which says "thou shalt not be homosexual".

Christ never said a single word against homosexuality. He did, however, specifically list three classes of men who should not marry women (Matthew 19:12).

• Dave Wilson Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 23, 2013 2:00 p.m.

I am glad that he condemned the sin of practicing homosexual sex but I really do think he should apologize for the Jim Crow laws statement. He wasn't on the experiencing end of it so how can he say that Blacks were happy under it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 1:26 p.m.

re:Contrarius

Your New Testament knowledge needs a bit of refreshing I'm afraid. Jesus said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" at Mary. Remember?? He then told Mary to go thy way and "sin no more". As far as your misunderstanding of the teachings of the Apostle Paul... (Hebrews 13:4) Paul wrote, and “neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord”. I would also refer you to "Paul’s Inspired Teachings on Marriage" by Kent R. Brooks. Just google it. As I said in my post - there is no such thing as a pick and choose Christian but there are many who like to quote there favorite scriptures which support there own personal bias and throw away the rest which either confuse them or perhaps disagree with their chosen lifestyle. Remember -Jesus gave us COMMANDMENTS not suggestions. Homosexual sex is a sin. Not my words but the words of the Savior and his apostles. Either you accept it or reject it but there is no pick and choose option I'm afraid. Commandments free us from the destructive nature of sin.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Dec. 23, 2013 12:40 p.m.

@patriot --

" If I don't like a page from the bible I just tear it out."

So do you.

Have you stoned any adulterers lately?

Eaten any shrimp lately?

Paul says that it's better to remain single than to marry. Are you married?

Everyone picks and chooses. Some of the reasons for doing so are better than others.

"If you don't believe or accept the teachings of Paul how can you call yourself a Christian?"

Paul taught that it is better to remain single than to marry.

Do you agree with him?

Do you call yourself a Christian?

"Is freedom of speech now re-defined "

There is no free speech issue here.

Clauses that restrict speech are very common in employee contracts, especially in the entertainment industry.

Robertson violated his contract, and he suffered the consequences.

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 12:40 p.m.

@mohokat

I was actually at the Walmart in Syracuse in an area near the lake where bird hunters abound. If it's not selling well there, where would it be? I could be wrong, maybe all those has-been boy band products sharing clearance shelf space with the Duck Dynasty stuff are also still selling like crazy elsewhere.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 12:06 p.m.

@Lowonoil

I would agree that Wal Mart is a business model not to be argued with. But because merchandise is not selling in Clearfield does not mean it is not elsewhere. And because merchandise in Utah is not moving does not spell done for the Ducksters. Apparantly they are no dummies either. Cracker Barrell pulled the merchadise off also but put it back on. Check WalMarts online shopping page it looks like most items are listed out of stock.

• momma7 Shreveport, LA
    Dec. 23, 2013 11:53 a.m.

As a member of the church in the West Monroe, LA Ward, I am kind of offended with what I am reading. We members are just as spiritual as the "Utah Mormons." In fact, my ancestors, and my husband's ancestors, crossed the plains to the promised land of Salt Lake. We just so happen to live in the south. The south is full of good Christians, whether Mormon, (the Robertson's) Church of Christ, or wherever they go. We love all men & women!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 11:33 a.m.

I'm a Christian - I only believe the parts of the New Testament that I like. If I don't like a page from the bible I just tear it out. This seems to be the prevailing PC thought nationwide with many. Robertson quoted the Apostle Paul in Corinthians regarding homosexual sin....so what part of this is ambiguous? If you don't believe or accept the teachings of Paul how can you call yourself a Christian? Perhaps a 'buffet' Christian who likes to pick the parts of the bible he likes and throw out the rest. A buffet Christian is no Christian at all. This debate is really quite ridiculous. This isn't so much about a simple Christian man and his faith as it is punishing those who dare to quote from the New Testament in a public forum. Do we - as a society - want to live in fear for quoting scripture? Is freedom of speech now re-defined to be only that speech which the PC word police approve of? Where does this end? Is there going to be a state approved belief system which everyone must comply with...or else? This is NOT America.

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 10:32 a.m.

@mohokat "I would say if you bet money on that you will be Lowonmoney"

I would take that bet. Walmart doesn't dump merchandise to be politically correct, they dump it because it's not making money. They didn't become the world's highest revenue corporation for nothing.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 10:16 a.m.

@Lowonoil

"they are beyond over"

I would say if you bet money on that you will be Lowonmoney

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Yes, he is the perfect tea party candidate. He can say what the far radical right want to hear.

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 9:47 a.m.

Was at a Walmart yesterday and wandered into the close-out aisle where unpopular merchandise goes to be gotten rid of quickly at give-away prices. It was full of Duck Dynasty merchandise. This is a sure sign that they are beyond over.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 9:25 a.m.

South lost.

Racism is bad.

Discrimination is not christian.

I don't care how many 'rally' around it.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Who cares.

If Duck Dynasty is a symbol of our cultural values, we are in deep, deep trouble.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Phil Robertson for President. He certainly has more credentials than the one who is on a $4 million dollar tax payer funded vacation in Hawaii.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 23, 2013 7:04 a.m.

This should come as no surprise to anybody.