U.S. & World

Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation

Comments

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 23, 2013 1:55 a.m.

It just came to me:

Would the "Birthers" who kept pretending that the basis for their accusations did not amount to race-baiting prefer that President Obama go to Kenya for vacations?
    --- I think the cost of security would be even more.
    --- I also think the amount of hatred expressed toward this President makes his security more expensive.

For those who put him down for going to Hawaii: remember, it is his HOME. Unfortunately, he was not the son of a rich patrician family, like both Bushes and Kennedy, and had no compound in MA, ME, or TX, so he has to rent a place that has enough land around it for security.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 22, 2013 3:19 p.m.

"Skips Out" is a term generally used to describe people who do not pay their check in restaurants, or kids who sneak out of school, etc.

Shame on the DN!

I know that rude remarks about President Obama please many of the folks who comment here, but I am reminded of the old Hebrew National Hot Dog commercials:
    "We have to answer to a higher power"

As a Christian, I feel that any publication owned by a church should stay fair, respectful and above the belt. I am sorry to say you have failed at that, a few times, this week.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 22, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Unfair, greedy, and uncaring.

Only the wealthy can afford eighty million dollar vacations to Hawaii.

The wealthy are in need of paying their fair share, and pay more taxes.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 6:47 a.m.

Obama gets to skip out to Hawaii -- clean air and sun -- while his constituents here in Utah are choking on pollution not fit for human consumption -- what does that tell you?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 21, 2013 11:53 p.m.

Wages, paid vacations,and other benefits.

Has Obama earned his pay?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 9:29 a.m.

I love the headline. "Skips out" and "Hawaii Vacation" weren't put there to inflame the already angry, were they? And then the article turns out to be a couple hundred words.
    First of all, I don't imagine any president gets a vacation, per se. I'm sure daily briefings and paperwork are all part of the gig. And as much as it's not as inflammatory, how about calling it a 'trip home' instead of a Hawaii vacation? Did george ever take a 'Crawford Vacation'? Say, there's an idea for a movie...