U.S. & World

Former President Clinton: Obama should honor health care pledge

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:39 p.m.

Depends on what the definition of honor is.

• Christoph b Salt lake, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:55 p.m.

LDS Lib,

How many people in the military were allowed to sit around and do nothing, and then receive whatever benefits they wanted?

Thanks!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:31 p.m.

re:atl134

"people can keep their junk plans" ?? Really?? I know you know better. You know as well as I that the vast majority of those so-called "junk plans" were not junk plans at all but were in fact good plans tailored to the needs and budget of the person. We have all heard many stories nationwide of good insurance plans of people suffering from cancer being cancelled. No these are NOT junk plans but that lie is added to the other lies from Barack "if you like your plan you can keep it" and "if you like your doctor you can keep him". The entire premise of this Obamacare scam was built on a series of lies and now those lies are showing their ugly faces for all to see. When you have leading Democrats - Bill Clinton and Dianne Feinstein - abandoning ship you know other Democrats will soon follow since they know the 2014 elections are only a year away. The question here is will these Democrats lose their congressional seats or will they allow Barack to get swallowed by his own lies?

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:45 a.m.

To "LDS Liberal" but the military doesn't have the conformity that you attribute to it.

Generals are paid more than privates. Plus, pay here in Utah is different than in Florida.

Officer housing is much nicer than for enlisted personnel.

Can you say "Officer's Club"? I don't think that the food there is equal to where the enlisted eat.

Different jobs have different clothing requirements. I don't know of too many mechanics that are issued bullet proof vests for their daily jobs.

Apparently in the military everything is different. Are you sure it was the US military and not the USSR military?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Even though he is not the President with the most Integrity, he should be able to know what the definition of "is" is. He knows the impact of not telling the truth and he just wants to advise President Obama that the people, not all the people, will forget that honesty is the best policy. To tell the Congress to pass the bill and then read it wasn't the best policy. Each one of those 500 plus United States of America's legislators in the Senate and House swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Some did and some didn't. Some of those who didn't were not in the next session of Congress. Hillary Clinton has a need to have this be Obama's fault as she wants to be elected as President. She let Obama be the candidate in 2008 by acquiescing to him due to his charismatic nature. Two charismatic people have become President and the one is telling the other to listen, if not privately, in public, this time.

The President is still trying to use some executive powers instead of fixing the problem in Congress, as Pelosi and Reid are there.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 13, 2013 8:10 a.m.

@LDS Liberal:

You'd give up your independence? Give someone else the responsibility of seeing to your needs? Living by their rules, and regulations?

How often in world history has a government not been corrupt? Most human suffering/poverty through history, has been caused by governments. I don't trust Obama, and crew, with redistributing my property.

I guess a third of the people would except this kind of plan.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 6:20 a.m.

I seriously doubt there is one iota of good faith amongst the Republicans that would allow any revisions, modifications or enhancements of the ACA.

In the end, this problem is really rooted in the fact that insurance companies are putting their interests first. We need a single payer system similar to Canada or Europe. Even with the ACA trying to leverage private health insurance (thus the private sector) to solve a serious issue, the fact remains that our health insurance system is a predatory mess.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:34 p.m.

We the people of America are pawns in a corrupt political chess game.

Obama Care is a scam.

• intervention slc, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 7:20 p.m.

@besmart
    I hate to tell you but if between you and your boss you are paying almost 2,000 dollars a month your boss is a poor business man and you may want to start looking for a new job before he bankrupts himself.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:18 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

"100% education,
    100% Medical at no cost, no deductibles, no co-pays, no premiums, no questions asked - ever,
    full retirement..."

At no cost? Are you being serious? There is a cost for everything. Are you under the impression that Doctors and medical supplies grow on trees? There is a cost for all of it.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:14 p.m.

@atl134

"Whatever, if people like their junk plans so much, let them keep them."

It's estimated that 50 million people may lose their plans. Do you think all those plans are junk?

• FreeThinker Magna, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 5:05 p.m.

"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it." - Nancy Pelosi

THIS is what happens when you leap without looking. When you charge ahead without thinking things through, you get a mess. I say this not just about the ACA, but about anything in life. If you don't think things through enough, then you will end up with a massive mess that could have been properly implemented with enough foresight.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:37 p.m.

TOO
    Sanpete, UT
    LDS Lib,

Your socialistic ideologies never cease to amaze me.

3:15 p.m. Nov. 12, 2013

===========

You should then thank the United States Military for engraining and instilling that in me.
    I was a hardcore Republican when I joined the service.
    I came out Socialized and Liberal.

Where else can you get;
    Same clothes,
    Same pay,
    Same apartments,
    Same chow,

100% education,
    100% Medical at no cost, no detucibles, no co-pays, no premiums, no questions asked - ever,
    full retirement,

Best Socialist lifestyle anyone could dream of.

Pitty --
    I had to get out when WallStreet and the Military Industrial Complex Capitalists bribed Politicians into mis-using us for control of Oil and winning re-elections.

Like Captain Moroni and Mormon,
    I will do what I need to defend my country and protect our Freedoms,

BUT
    I refuse to a mercany for hire for the Gadiantons on WallStreet who control, manage, and manipulate our Government.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:31 p.m.

@besmart

Actually yes I have, Toronto, your comment however suggest you have not given the healthcare was and is anything but assembly line. I terms of cost I would first point out insurance premiums have steadily been climbing far longer then the ACA has been around and that one of the major flaws of the law is that there are no protections for consumers that must buy insurance from predatory insurance companies.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:57 p.m.

I know you are a young student atl134, but many of us have had health plans we have loved. They have taken care of cancer operations/chemo etc., no cancelations. Maybe if you would refuse to believe the lies Obama puts out such as "junk insurance", "you can keep your insurance if you like it, Period!", you would know that calling it junk does not really mean insurance is junk. They just used that word ( and they knew the young would believe them) because of all the back lash and they had to blame it on someone else so the insurance companies are standing right there in front of them. A lie, is a lie, is a lie!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:53 p.m.

My employer currently pays well over a thousand dollars a month for my insurance. Then I contribute an amount that is near that level.
    Jan 1st I will get hit with a large increase citing " due to the increased taxes on health care providers"
    Look through the law at some of the rules this created for hospitals.
    I did not pull anything out of thin air for my comment.
    I am involved in politics everyday.
    The percentage of GDP used on healthcare will increase.
    You increase taxes on companies and individuals for healthcare. It will increase the GDP %.
    Do your research from independent academic sources and not from the media.
    Look at what MIT has published for the future of health insurance rates due to obamacare.
    The media is not a reliable source (even msn anchors are mad about the increase in their premiums)
    Other questions?

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:47 p.m.

@ atl134
    According to several news sources 15% of americans are not insured.
    So obamacare which does raise almost all insurance rates effects 85% of people negatively.
    That is not out of thin air.
    Research it.
    America percentage of GDP for healthcare is the highest because it has extremely high quality health care (I have travelled around the world and you will see)
    Also malpractice law suits raise our rates extremely, but some of these suits are needed some are not.
    The part time jobs issue I used from my own experience being in private industry and family members experience.
    Several family members (who have all graduated with bachelors degrees in math and accounting) have been told by there employers that as of December 31st they will be cut from 40 hours to 29 hours.
    "So far this year there have been 848,000 new jobs. Of those, 813,000 are part time jobs"
    not all of these are cited by obamacare but a percentage is (this is published research)
    Those subsidized plans are paid by what? Taxes on both the uninsured and the medical institutions.

• Obi-Jon Kenobi Layton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:26 p.m.

Bill Clinton: bastion of honesty and . . . unlikely voice of reason

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:15 p.m.

LDS Lib,

Your socialistic ideologies never cease to amaze me.

• techpubs Sioux City, IA
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:55 p.m.

@Kimber:
    I'm happy that you are now going to be able to purchase health insurance that will meet your needs.
    However I still have a few issues with the PPACA as it currently is written.
    When I was first married we purchased Health Ins. and added maternity coverage which almost doubled the cost of the policy. Three years and several tests later I discovered we didn't need it because I was sterile and maternity doesn't cover adoption. Needless to say my wife doesn't need Contraception coverage either. But both maternity and contraception are required as part of the PPACA Policies which greatly increases the cost. So what some are saying is a junk policy because it doesn't cover certain items was working great for our needs. I know of single and widowed women who really don't need coverage for prostate exams, but they will have to carry it as part of the PPACA raising their costs also.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:49 p.m.

@BeSmart
    "Have you heard about the health care rates in some places quadruling?"

The US has the highest healthcare costs (in terms of % GDP spent on healthcare) in the world, much higher than the socialist nations in Europe, Canada, Australia, and Japan.

"This law should never have passes it hurts 85% of americans to help the 15%"

'Out of thin air' is not an acceptable source for statistics...

"This law almost by itself turned the USA into a part-time employment nation."

That's false. There's been no statistically significant shift to part-time employment since Obamacare was passed.

"In college I could get a high deductible health plan for 98 dollars a month. Today for the same college student? quoted around 400 dollars a month."

False. You didn't account for subsidies, which would make it around 100 a month since well... college students don't make much. Also anyone 25 and under could stay on their parents plan so many of them would be paying 0 like I was the last few years.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:48 p.m.

TO LDS Liberal:

Please Move to Greece, France, Portugal, Spain, you pick I could care less

Problem, solved

The End.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Clinton was a good president and I'm sure most of the country would gladly switch Clinton for Obama at any time. Clinton did what Reagan was good at; bringing all sides together for the betterment of our country. Obama may end up being the worst president of all time. He has managed to tear the country apart. Apparently we Americans don't like freedom as we continue to make horrible choices.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Whatever, if people like their junk plans so much, let them keep them.

@BeSmart
    "The problem is what's done is done.
    I don't think that there is any way to honor this pledge save repealing obamacare"

Actually this would be very easy to deal with since all the non-Obamacare-compliant pre-Obamacare plans are still allowed through the grandfathering provision, so the post-Obamacare non-Obamacare-compliant plans would just be handled the same way. There would still be some people losing insurance but that would just be because the insurance company itself chose to drop the plan (something they do all the time).

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Barack is in a pickle with this Clinton comment. What to do...??

1. If Barack DOES change the law and allow for his promise to be kept (if you like your insurance you can keep it) he loses all those young enroll-ees....the young healthy ones that were supposed to sign up and pay for everyone else. If he loses all the young folks money his wealth redistribution scam is dead in the water. No young people - no Obamacare.

2. If Barack holds to his guns and does nothing, the outcry of people getting cancelled is going to grow and cause a mutiny within his own party for those dems trying to save their necks for the mid term elections in a year. He risks losing the senate and puts a bad taste in peoples mouth for ANY sort of government run healthcare going forward.

the Clinton's on the other hand have kept one step ahead of Barack. Hiliary knows she has to distance herself from this train wreck Obamacare somehow or her election is dead before it gets started. By having her popular husband do her bidding for her she wins by proxy.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:07 p.m.

Clinton is about as smart as Obama......how do you give someone back the insurance that has been cancelled after having been promised by the LYING POTUS that you can keep your plan?

Its over, Clinton, who defined "is"! The bell has rung and you cant un-ring a bell! But we can abolish Obamacare and Obama!

• Viva la Migra American Fork, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:04 p.m.

The administration continues to lie and use the "5%" figure to try to explain away the cancellations. They've repeated that as much as the original "if you like your plan, you can keep it. Period." lie.

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:04 p.m.

The reason for the cancellations is because the health insurance companies can't keep the ACA's standards of care (no pre-existing conditions, no caps, no cancellations of dependents under the age of 26 and so forth). If it were me, I would want a new plan anyway....perhaps not all of them know this. Most of the plans that would cancel the people are no great loss. Health insurance is like many other things in life...it changes with time and the requirements of the person does too. As for me, I've done without health insurance for seven years in order to have my self employment. I tried to get a personal plan, but they denied me for "pre-existing conditions". And now I'm excited to be choosing a plan without such a thing for 2014. Good luck to all!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Single-Payer, public option.

Problem, solved.

The End

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:48 p.m.

As Stephanopoulos once told the press about Bill Clinton, "The President has kept all the promises he intended to keep."
    Kettle, meet pot.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Is their a World court for B.o.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Advice from a benevolent tyrant to a dumb one? Guys...the lie is that Obama assumed that he could control everything like a tyrant and was dumb enough to say that in front of everyone multiple times...and a majority of congress and the American public were dumb enough to believe him. Trying to turn that lie into a reality is NOT the answer in a society that still at least professes to be a free society!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Bill Clinton rarely told the truth in my opinion, but even Bill knew better than to lie to people in order to con them into supporting a bill that he knew would hurt millions.

The political liabilities of Obama Care and the lies told to gain support are so toxic that many are now predicting that the Democrats will lead the charge to repeal it. If the Republicans are smart (a mighty big if) they will refuse to make any changes in the law other than to repeal it. If they were really smart they would challenge all the waivers that Obama has issued to date, including delaying the employer mandate. There would be 93 million more highly angry voters before the 2014 elections if that were to happen.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:29 p.m.

techpub is correct. Slick knows that Hil can't run with this dog around her neck,

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Bill Clinton is perhaps the most savvy politician in the US. Everything that he says has a secondary political objective. As liberal billionaire David Geffen said when he withdrew his support of Hillary, the Clinton's can't tell the truth.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Clinton calling Obama to stop lying, priceless!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:34 p.m.

@ Spring Street
    The law in and of itself is not good for a free market economy.
    Or for the people
    Have you ever lived somewhere with socialized medicine (it is like an assembly line)
    Have you heard about the health care rates in some places quadruling?
    Is that good for the middle class?
    This law should never have passes it hurts 85% of americans to help the 15%.
    How many people have been laid off or their jobs cut to 29 hours a week because of this?
    I am grateful to have a great job with good insurance.
    But my relatives have been laid off hours cut and insurance dropped.
    This law almost by itself turned the USA into a part-time employment nation.
    Because most private companies (I managed one for years) can not afford to pay for these insurances.
    This law hampers the medical field itself. If you get time look through the law and the added taxes and regulations it puts on healthcare companies.
    That is not progress.

• Granny Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:27 p.m.

@techpubs...You are SO right!!!!

Hilary will now come in and save the day at the next election. Oh, may the Heavens not let that happen. We are in enough trouble already.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:22 p.m.

those darn racist Tea Party folks are at it again - trying to criticize Barack...oops I guess this was Barack's go to guy - President Clinton calling Barack out on this one. This ought to make for some interesting double talk from Jay Carney in the next briefing....Let's see Barack could say he was for allowing you to keep your insurance before he was against it?? Nope Kerry already used that one. Maybe Barack could just say he feels sorry for those that were actually dumb enough to believe him?? Ouch - that doesn't sound too good either. Maybe there is some u-tube video they can blame it on but that one has already been used too. The ole blame game is getting harder and harder...It is just getting harder and harder for a liar to govern these days ... I guess and that has got to Bush's fault somehow.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:20 p.m.

@be smart
    so once a law is passed there can never be changes to the law, the only option is repeal? Clinton is right the law needs to be adjusted. I remember when the ACA first passed everyone admitted it was an imperfect law and would need work, then everyone got entrenched and refused to make the needed changes. I say they meed to get back to work making the changes they have known needed to be made a long time ago.

• techpubs Sioux City, IA
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Sounds like Bill is trying to distance himself and Hillary from the PPACA so that she can run in 2016.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:47 a.m.

You mean keep his word? How dare he say barack do something like that. Barack doesn't answer to us or anyone else. Barack answer to barack and barack only.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:45 a.m.

The problem is what's done is done.
    I don't think that there is any way to honor this pledge save repealing obamacare or placing regulations on insurance companies that destroy them.
    The answer to this problem will need to be addressed in the next election.
    Until then, the government regulation of the largest industry in the U.S. will cause who knows how many problems.
    Good luck with healthcare everyone.
    What this has become is a shame to our once free market republic.