Moneywise

You'll never guess who owns Ralph Lauren

Comments

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:08 a.m.

Every single potato chip brand available in my local store is owned by Pepsico. Pretty easy to price fix then I would assume.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:31 p.m.

i.e.

unless a news story reinforces my already-held beliefs, I am not interested in the slightest.

Good boy!

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 4:03 p.m.

As I look at the graphic my thought is "yeah, so"? Am I supposed to be outraged? What response are they trying to elicit from me? Has absolutely zero effect on my daily life. Now an interesting graphic would be how the Federal Govt. is trying to monopolize the health care system.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Methinks one old man needs some reeducation on what a monopoly is. A monopoly is when one entity owns everything within an industry. But looking at that graphic I see no less than 10 companies that own virtually everything within a few industries (candy, snacks, toiletries, etc.). 10 companies - although they do own a lot - are not a monopoly. They still compete with each other and they don't collude to fix prices (as far as we know). Therefore, no monopoly.

• KJR Alpine, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 1:15 p.m.

A quick computation tells me that these ten companies that own just about "everything I buy" actually represent just under 2 percent of my total household expenditures. And there are half a dozen competing products for most of the items shown. There may be some measure monopolistic power at work, but please remember that in the US we get all these goodies for a much lower price than in most of the world (I know from 22 years living around the world). It's interesting to know the interconnections between products and companies, but I don't find it disturbing . . . yet.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Time for Teddy Roosevelt to return with his monopoly busting big stick?