Sports

Parry's Power Guide to Utah high school football: Week 12, the playoffs

Comments

• tharef Riverton, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Well I'm off to Bingham, Get the referee pre game talked about, go over Keys, Situational plays, Overtime, Ejections, Sideline control, Mechanics, Untimed downs and all the good stuff that us Refs watch for in a game. Enjoy your teams game and I hope everyone's team wins tonight. Good Luck, and oh ya Go Diggers GDP!

• SportsFan1 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Parry is a Farce ?

That is the point, Brighton has not played anyone other that Alta and Bingham, They are 1-1. What evidence do you have to say an easy win for Brighton, None ! Other than record ?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 12:02 p.m.

@JDigger

Well let's see...

PG vs Fremont - Same result, PG wins big. 1-0
    PG vs Cathedral Catholic Calif. - Same result, PG loses. 1-1
    PG vs. East - Same result, PG loses. 1-2
    PG vs. Bergen Cath. NJ - Same result, PG loses. 1-3
    PG vs Herriman - Same result, PG wins. 2-3
    PG vs. Copper Hills - Same result, PG wins. 3-3
    PG vs. Alta - I am going to say same result, PG wins. 4-3 (*Only thing I have to go off of is Timprview beat Alta, and PG beat Timpview.
    PG vs. Bingham - Same result, PG loses. 4-4
    PG vs. Brighton - Same result, PG loses. 4-5
    PG vs West Jordan - Same result, PG wins. 5-5
    PG vs. Hunter - Same result, PG wins. 6-5

PG scores almost as much as Jordan, they give up less. And what do you know, PG would have been 6-5, just like Jordan is. I would love to think who else they would have lost the 3 or 4 other games too that Jordan didn't also.

If Jordan played PG's schedule, I venture to say they have the same record also as PG.

• SportsFan1 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 11:52 a.m.

I love how so many are counting Herriman out, we like it that way. Nothing to justify at this point, records don't matter or rankings. It is the playoffs so its a new season.
    I hope Brighton over looks Herriman and all of the Region 3 teams do the same. Region 4 will not be swept. I will start my talking after the games are complete. Nothing against Brighton, however the only quality win was against Alta. Herriman's tougher schedule will pay off now.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Jordan kills pleasant grove. If they had played Jordan's schedule, they would have gone 2-8. Maybe 3-7.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 8:26 p.m.

Brighton and Herriman will not be close. Brighton beats Herriman by 17 points.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 7:42 p.m.

I agree with almost 100% of your assessment Parry. Especially with your statement of why 5-5 teams are 5-5, and why 11-1 teams are 11-1. As for the teams making it with 5-5 records, I almost 100% agree. But I do think Alta is a bit different. They have a very explosive offense. And I think they are coming together some at the right time. I think they pull this one out. Jordan I'm not so sure about. If they had showed any bit of defense this year, I would say Jordan for sure. But that defense is so bad, I can see them giving up enough points to lose. My call still is a 4-0 record for region 3 after the quarters. But I could see Jordan losing. I think Brighton wins by at least 14.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Benzo, Bingham wins by 14 or more, Jordan wins by 14 or more, Alta wins by 14 or more and Brighton wins by 7

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 1:19 p.m.

@Parry is a Farce - Always enjoy your statistical research. Here's the thing: The line between Herriman being 6-6 or 11-1 after this week is very thin. Herriman has 5 losses by a total of 42 points which is a margin of 8.4 points. 3 losses were by 4 points or less, 1 to the best team in the state. So there's a good chance Herriman could lose, there's an equally good chance they win. Brighton's running style plays into Herriman's strength. Regardless of the winner...this game is decided by 14 points or less.

Alta at Lone Peak
    Pleasant Grove at Jordan
    Brighton at Herriman

Lone Peak & their QB are playing better. Playing at home gives them the slight "upset".

Pleasant Grove & Jordan are very similar teams. Both have offenses that are equally lethal. Defensive edge goes to Pleasant Grove. PG does just enough to keep the game close and win the game on the final drive.

Brighton & Herriman is a closer match up. Brighton has a powerful O-Line and a powerful running back. Herriman has an elusive running back that creates points. Look for a game that is finally won at home by Herriman.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 1:03 p.m.

don't worry about Parry's rating points for Bingham, they will win this one going away. Just worry about the W's

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Exactly. How does Bingham drop in rating points? Having gone undefeated, and beating 4 of the remaining 8 teams in the playoffs. Somebody's formula needs to be adjusted. And I totally agree with the Herriman comment. Brighton shows everybody that this Herriman team, although a scrappy team, is really mediocre when it comes to pure talent.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Only a 9 pt margin for Bingham over Riverton? Add another 14 pts to that and it's about right.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:38 a.m.

Don't sleep on Timpview....they are going about their business and nobody is talking about them. I think they would give Bingham and East a tough game, if not win it.

4A- Timpview
    5A- Bingham

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:25 a.m.

As expencted Region 3 sweeps Region 4. Bingham and East wins State.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:16 a.m.

I wish we could see an overall State Champion. Some fairly accurate hypothetical picks per say. Just don't allow so many teams who shouldn't be there into the playoffs, and you could keep closely the same amount of games. Imagine more of this:

3A Champ Judge Memorial
    3AA Champ Juan Diego
    4A East
    5A Bingham

#4 Seed (11-2) Judge Memorial vs #1 (14-0) Seed Bingham
    #3 Seed (13-0) Juan Diego vs #2 Seed (14-0) East

Utah State Championship

5A #1 Bingham (15-0) vs. 4A #2 East (15-0)

Points Scored - Bingham 447, East 559
    Points Against - Bingham 158, East 171

Common Opponents:

Alta - Bingham wins 33-27, 6 point win Week Ten, East Wins 42-24, 16 point win Week One
    Jordan - Bingham wins 48-27, 21 point win Week 8, East Wins 59-36, 23 point win Week Three

That would be a great game to watch, Bingham vs. East

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:45 a.m.

As for Edwards Edge, I only disagree with two.

I think Morgan beats Manti, and I think Desert Hills beats Stansbury. However, that is a long way to travel for DH and rematch and beat Stansbury twice in a year.

The rest I agree with for Edwards Edge!

• Theref Riverton, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Looks from here. I also believe that it will be an all Region 3 semi-finals.