Sports

Parry's Power Guide to Utah high school football: Week 10

Comments

• Mammoth St. George, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I'm a Dixie fan, and don't get me wrong, I think Dixie is playing well, but I can't figure out how Juan Diego's power ranking is so low, especially after beating up on Springville. I agree with the person from JD who always comments on these boards, the state championship goes through them. However, as proof anything can happen on any given day, look at last year's semi-final game with Dixie/JD where Dixie won as the third seed. I expect Region 9 to do well again this year. Go Flyers!

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Edwards Edge is starting to upset me a little bit. For the second straight week...he has Herriman losing.

Actually...I should thank him because that was part of the motivation in our dominating win over Lehi.

Herriman is a strong team that everyone is overlooking. Region 4 is a strong region that everyone is overlooking. I am predicting 2 playoff upsets by Region 4 in the playoffs. Look for Pleasant Grove to upset Davis in Round 1 and look for Herriman to upset Brighton in the quarterfinals.

GO MUSTANGS!!!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Who again has Herriman beat outside of Region 4 that is worth a hill of beans?

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Well unless Herriman wants to risk playing on the road at Davis they need to win. I think Herriman has plenty to fight for and will win against Pleasant Grove.....tho it will be an awesome game.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Mammoth

the south 3AA division surely has more depth that the northern division, none of the northern region teams have really pushed Juan Diego and I doubt PC will this week, thus the Parry Power Score. JD does have a lot of senior leadership this year so I would expect them to be highly focused during the playoffs

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 4:04 p.m.

@Parry is a Farce - I'm going off of my belief that Herriman and Lone Peak will both win tomorrow which will put Herriman as the #1 seed and Pleasant Grove as the #4 seed. Herriman would play Layton and then the winner of Brighton/Cottonwood. Pleasant Grove would play the #1 seed from Region 1. From my scenarios...Herriman and Pleasant Grove are both in the playoffs regardless of a win or loss. I believe Herriman has more to play for because it is the only team in the region that has an opportunity to win the region outright.

@Gunner - no one outside of Region 4. But...their 4 losses are to the #1, #10 #17 and #21 teams in the state. And...against Bingham...only Valor Christian has held Bingham to fewer points than Herriman; only Brighton and Jordan have scored more points against Bingham than Herriman; only Valor Christian and Brighton have a smaller margin of defeat against Bingham than Herriman. If things work out the way I believe...I'm predicting a Herriman upset of Brighton in the playoffs and then Herriman rematches against Jordan and against Bingham.

@JDigger24 - I agree...Herriman wants the region title and #1 seed.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 23, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Juan Diego is Legit,like I said before,this senior class 2014 have never lost a game their whole high school career,as a group they know how to win.All season no one has shown JD any love, even DN thought Stansbury and Springville was going to be their toughest games.JD has been playing and winning with some of the main players out due to injury.The teams from down south are tough,and JD knows this. Juan Diego does not think this is going to be easy, and they know that if they want to win it all they have to bring their A game.but know this, if anyone wants the 3AA state title it will go through JD. Its is more then just a state title for this group, it is for a brother they will never forget.I hope that after becoming 9-0 someone will show JD some love.

JD fan to the Fullest...we love you AC2

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 10:36 p.m.

mykaljordan....

Dixie 14, JD 13 state finals 2012.

Those JD seniors had one loss last year as Juniors, two the season before, if they were playing as Sophomores. Unless you are counting just JV games?

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 24, 2013 6:32 a.m.

Rural Sports Fan,

who did they lose to as Juniors?

correction my friend, JD Football Class of 2014 as a group, have never lost a game. Freshman year undefeated, Sophomore year Undefeated, Junior year Undefeated and this year so far 9-0.as for the underclass I dont know how their year went.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Benzo,

AF and PG would have a play-in game if Herriman beats PG. If there are two teams fighting for one spot (or 3 for two spots) there is always a play-in game. If two teams have tied records at the end of the year one will never be eliminated without a play-in game. Wouldn't that be something.

• chargerfan DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Hey MykalJordan. How about a little love for the Corner Canyon Chargers. They took their JV team into JD and darn near walked away with a win. Held the Big three in check and drove the ball all over the field on JD's defense. Heck, Colosimo was already looking for a way out of this rivalry 5 minutes after the game. Without a doubt, that was the best team they will have played this year. Has anyone else held them to 21 points?

On a side side note, can't help but to wonder why JD isn't petitioning the UHSAA for a move to 4A. Heck if your beating people by 30 points every week it is time for a move. Don't use numbers as an excuse, Highland was in the same position the last time around and demanded to be kept in 4A. They have proven they can compete at that level, so step up and show some courage John Colosimo. Quit chasing meaningless wins and put your program in a more competitive environment.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 11:10 a.m.

@Parry is a Farce - You're 50% correct. I didn't predict wins over Bingham and Jordan. I said if they were winning, tied or down by less than 14 points going into the 4th quarter...they would have a chance to win. In both games that exact scenario happened, but we failed to capitalize. Against Highland (loss by 4) and American Fork (loss by 2) I simply predicted wrong.

That only goes to illustrate my point that Herriman can play with anyone. Since 2011, Herriman has been able to compete with any team in Utah...which includes Bingham, Jordan, Brighton, Alta, Davis, Syracuse, East, Logan and Timpview.

I believe there is a difference between beating a team and being better than a team. Bingham beat Herriman by 13 points...they beat them...I don't necessarily think Bingham is better than Herriman. Bingham, Highland, Jordan and American Fork...these 4 teams are not better than Herriman...they simply beat them. In the upcoming weeks...Herriman may have a unique opportunity to rematch Jordan and Bingham...I would not be crazy to say that Herriman would be competitive in both games and have a chance to win.

@adwight - I finally saw it

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 11:32 a.m.

BigBen-Really hope Jordan gets a rematch against Herriman in playoffs. Won at Herriman, we'd definitely beat you at Jordan. Then there would be no choice but for you to say Jordan is a better team lol.

BTW Bingham is better than Herriman.....

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 11:32 a.m.

The Problem Benzo, is you've been saying "They can beat any team in the state" for the past 3 years. Well sure anybody can beat anything. If Bingham's JV team shows up, then Herriman may have a chance to win. If if's and buts, were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas too. Until Herriman does anything in the post season though, it's all just a dedicated fan not being realistic.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Hey chargerfan,

It is easy to just move a team to 4A but to compete is a different story. A lot of 4A and 5A schools have the depth to compete. JD's Starters except for maybe 2 or 3, start both ways, not like the bigger divisions that have enough players to play one side. Ill give Chargers JV some love, because as you stated they nearly came out with a win,And to say Coach Colosimo is chasing meaningless wins, is just not true, the only meaningless win I saw, was when JD beat your Chargers, even with all the great talented players that transferred from Alta,Jordan and JD, you still couldn't be our Soaring Eagle.

And on a side note, if JD did play 4A this year they would've won region 7

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 2:06 p.m.

My two cents, I have seen every Region 4 team play, more than once. And I think Herriman handles PG without any problem at all. I also think Lehi will beat Lone Peak this week. Which makes for a nasty Region 4 outcome. The number one and two spots are locked up in my mind with Herriman #1 and Riverton #2, Riverton will not lose to Westlake. And if it plays out the way I think. That leaves four teams at 3-3 for two more spots. Who have all beaten each other. PG beat AF, AF beat LP, LP beat PG, PG beat Lehi, Lehi beat AF, AF beat Herriman and Riverton, and assumably maybe Lehi beats LP is my guess. What a mess that makes to see who gets the final two spots.

With all of that said and Reg. 4 playing Reg. 1 in the opening round. I have seen Cuse, Davis and N.Ridge play this year, no Layton though. And I honestly do not think any of those teams could beat anyone in Reg 4 accept Wlake of course. But every dog has his day. You just never know on game day.

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Charger fan

Interesting that you say Corner Canyon played their JV team against JD. Those JV players must be playing all year for varsity as the stat lines have the same kids scoring. Didn't realize the Ebeling kid was on JV. Thought he was a real gamer when I saw him play. You guys should be really good next year if that's the case.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:10 p.m.

@JDigger24 - A Jordan/Herriman rematch would take place at RES. Herriman played Jordan without our two leading rushers, without our top defensive back and without our starting quarterback...due to a non-region game. Herriman would welcome a rematch.

@Gunner - Yes...for the last 3 years, I have been saying Herriman can beat any team in the state, but for the last 3 years you have said that most teams in the state would "kill" Herriman...which is closer to the truth??? When Bingham and Herriman matched up early this season...no one on the field owned a State Championship ring!!! So...in my opinion...Bingham simply beat Herriman...they are not necessarily better than Herriman. There is no team in Region 3 that Herriman fears...including Bingham. To say that Herriman or any other team has no chance to beat Bingham is a bit off. I personally know 4 Bingham players who admitted that in the 4th quarter of our game...they were seriously worried that they might lose.

In the end...I do not think I'm out of line in saying that Herriman could make it to RES and possibly upset Brighton, Jordan and Bingham along the way.

• BRING ON THE TITANS!!!! syracusse, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Region 4 is just crazy, I want to know who syracuse is playing but those guys are just all over the place. It sucks to see Davis take region though. In my opinion Syracuse deserves it. If they did a rematch Syracuse would wipe the floor with them. Syracuse has been so strong lately that I can see them taking out anyone in their path until they hit bingham in the semi's. If you look at davis they have been struggling with the easy teams in region 1. Layton, Fremont, Northridge. All teams that syracuse has rolled past. (except fremont but theyre playing this week). Davis is just really over-rated in my opinion, they are going to get wrecked as soon as they play anyone semi-good. Syracuse took awhile to start up but ever since the davis game they found it ad has been really good. Kavika Fonua is an amazing runner and he was out the day they played davis. He is a huge factor to helping syracuse succeed. My predictions i the final 4 are, Bingham, Syracuse, Brighton, and Herriman. And keep in mind syracuse is the last team to have beaten Bingham.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 11:00 p.m.

It might help if they can beat Pleasant Grove first Benzo.

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:30 a.m.

Mykaljordan...."correction my friend, JD Football Class of 2014 as a group, have never lost a game. Freshman year undefeated, Sophomore year Undefeated, Junior year Undefeated"

So, are you saying no Juniors played on the varsity team last year? If they played, they had a part in the loss...unless you are going to simply blame last years' seniors?

Sorry, out here in the small schools, a team is a team, we often have sophomores and sometimes freshmen playing varsity, and we count the wins and losses for all of them, regardless of class.

Don't take this the wrong way, those kids are pretty good, even really good, but to dismiss a loss simply because there were other grades on the team is a bit odd.

JD-Dad..yes, out here in public school land, we have to play younger kids up, so a kid can be both Varsity and JV. Usually they don't start both, at least not in the same position, but sometimes...you play what you have.

• chargerfan DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:47 a.m.

MykalJordan. Depth? Are you kidding me. My son plays for corner canyon. Half their JV games have been canceled in 4A because other programs didn't have the numbers. Additionally, JD has the ability to offer scholarships for a private school education to athletes across the valley. If they have a depth issue, its because better athletes won't compete in 3aa. It's not a numbers issue, it's a courage issue!

I do agree that JD would be extremely competitive in 4a. That's my point. And that's why they should make the move. Plus, you are currently in a classification that allows 6 out of 7 teams to make the playoffs in each region. Yet you still can't produce enough teams to complete a 16 team playoff. As a fan, you should be fighting for that move. The reality is that JD is going to run away with the 3AA title. But what is it really worth? They are better than that and you should be embarrassed.

• Gun smoke 64 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Chargerfan

When you say (Better athletes won't compete in 3AA) is it about only Sports or Maybe they have the opportunity to have a Great Education, you watch player jump schools to chase there dreams or there Parents dreams, this may have kept some of these Great athletes (in which one of there players is being very highly recruited to the D1 programs in the country) he started there at age 3 for the consistency of education not to chase the minimal chance at playing at the next level, hopefully these athletes do see the possibility that the next level may just be the rest of there life with a Better education and a future

• chargerfan DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Gun smoke 64. The two are not mutually exclusive. In most parts of the country, catholic schools play at the highest level of sports competition, while providing an excellent education. They realize you can succeed in both. Don't be fooled, JD takes their athletic programs seriously. They can talk education all they want, but they cherish their state titles against weaker competition.

Question? There have been 4 out of state catholic schools who have flown in too play Utah teams. Why hasn't JD offered to play them? Wouldn't it have been great to see them play Bergen Catholic instead of Jordan?

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Expect a Skyline upset tonight.

Charger Fan, you got lucky against us. You will not win past round 1.

• CVMD North Logan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Our neighbor Logan High has a 3A school population, but are 4A caliber in play at 9-0. They kicked our can (Sky View). As well, a significant part of the school population is immigrant families that create a diverse environment, but do not have a football heritage. Yet, the team excels with hard work and exceptional coaching. Being familiar with all the programs here in Cache Valley, the program at Logan is among the best in the state. Playing up in 4A seems to have been a catalyst for excellence. Maybe JD should give it a try.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 25, 2013 4:12 p.m.

charger fan,

my nephew plays for Corner Canyon,you probably know him since he transferred form JD, so I know the talent they have to compete. and my son plays for JD he's #55 and I know for a fact that the chargers coaches told their team to look out for him and #56. Heres the thing, I could have taken him anywhere to play since we just moved here his 8th grade year, but I wanted him to get the best education that I thought as a parent was possible. moving from alaska we didnt know anything about 1A 2A 3A and so on, he just wanted to play ball. now living here for 5 years,I see how seriously people take it. maybe JD could compete at 4A, but I know that with the depth they have right now, it would be hard. I know my boy would be worn out by the 3qtr. Its not about Courage as you keep saying,JD has more then you think.I really think it comes down to you being upset because JD was better then CC on that friday night.I bet we wouldnt be having this conversation if CC won..!!

• Gun smoke 64 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Chargerfan

"The two are not mutually exclusive" referring to education and athletics is wrong. The drive for a better education and a better life comes down to work ethic. That work ethic these kids put forth into there education translates into everything they do, including athletics. If you have a team that works hard they will have success. So please do not degrade not only these kids but all kids playing football, and say if they are successful they recruit and do not work hard for what they have accomplished.

• Gun smoke 64 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Chargerfan

Catholic Schools in Utah are different from other states due to the obvious religious culture we have here, so the say Bergan Catholic playing Juan Diego would have been a fair game is not accurate. Juan Diego is in 3AA due to there enrollment, but the location gives them an advantage. There is Alta, Jordan, Bingham, Brighton, Riverton, and the new Corner Canyon (who is doing very well) fairly close to Juan Diego so to assume they recruit is ignorant. There is a lot of talent in the area and the success of other programs prove it. Your Chargers may not have done so well for a first year program if the school was located somewhere with less talent.

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Rural sports fan - You need to recognize sarcasm when it is being offered. CC did not play their JV against JD. Starting varsity players are not going to play JV. JD suites up its JV and uses them in varsity games like other smaller schools.

cvmd- logan enrollment about 1500 JD enrollment around 750

• CVMD North Logan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Logan has 4 grades and an alternative school. I honestly don't know the 10-12 enrollment, likely around 1100 or 1150 with the alternative students. No recruiting. Does JD have an alternative school? Colorado's best football school is private, has 850 students and plays 5A, the highest division. The schools there are as large or larger than our 5A. The point is that sometimes the increased competition is good for the players and the program.

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 10:14 a.m.

cvmd logan enrollment is 1642, check your numbers. Yes Valor Christian is the best HS football team in Colorado. It's also only 10 miles from downtown Denver. Denver metro area pop=2.8mil Salt lake county pop= just over 1 mil. I would bet that VC enjoys a much easier religious environment than JD does. You don't have to be Catholic to go to JD but it is required to learn about it, some families have a hard time with that. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Others have used Bergan Catholic and St John Bosco. Both enrolments around 850. Both all boys schools with a much larger population to pull from. Again apples to oranges.

JD tuition assistance is need based. Families might not pay the full ~10K/yr but most pay something which is more than public schools.

So, you have a son/daughter that is legit D1 athlete. Financial times are tough. Unless you truly want the JD (Catholic, small community experience, which is fantastic!) you're going to enroll your child at Bingham or Alta, sorry CC your just not that competitive right now.

Point- JD gets the most out of its kids on all levels

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2013 10:01 a.m.

@BigBenzo88
    Guaranteed those supposed 4 players aren't starters, if you think 4 Bingham starters were worried they were going to lose you really are up in the night.