Sports

BYU football live blog: Offensive outburst led by Hill's rushing lifts BYU to upset of No. 15 Texas

Comments

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 9, 2013 4:55 p.m.

@utieology... Your censor friends at DN doesn't allow anyone to disagree with you or else their comments are denied... I have already written you a response but the censor (probably a fellow utie alumni) wouldn't post it... So we will try again.

Your claim that Hill is rated at the bottom of FBS QBs is eronious, like many of the other things that you have posted... Having only played in 2 monsoons, his passing eficientcy is not going to be great, and that's what you measured...What matters is total yards produced (run or pass) and I am certain that he looks just fine in that area... Total yards usually translates to win/loss better than passing efficientcy...

I'm fairly confident that Hill will have more total yards (passing and running) than Wilson will have... I am also confident that at the end of the season BYU will have more total yards, more points scored (provided we both throw out our Big Sky games as BYU won't run the score up on Idaho State), and BYU will also have allowed fewer total yards and fewer points when compared to the uties... But, we'll see.

• ReaLife West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 9:56 a.m.

Nice win Cougs! Can't wait till the 21st.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:45 p.m.

sammyg
    Springville, UT

Uteology

"as he matures..."

Reading comprehension problems?

I suppose you're one on these types that will say Texas wasn't that good.
    I can play that game as well.

Wildcats weren't that good either and you guys ran up the score.

---------------

So he's running abilities are mature enough for you to claim the future is bright but he needs more time to mature into a throwing QB?

Currently according to ESPN Hill is ranked #122 out of 123 QBs. It looks like he's got a lot of maturing to do.

Virgina wasn't that good either and you lost that game.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Hmm? I wonder what the next month has in store?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:04 p.m.

poyman: "I find it amusing that the trolls...become pious and begin to chastise the BYU fans for celebrating"

No problem with celebrating. It just seems sad that the enjoyment many get isn't from the game itself, just a big "in your face" to one fan and trying to paint the entire fanbase as the same type. I feel like I'M actually happier for BYU's players about the win than several BYU fans even seem to be. Pretty sad if you ask me.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:37 a.m.

I enjoyed my evening at LES. Had some fun bailing out my Dads Provo Basement as well.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:07 a.m.

I find it amusing that the trolls can come onto bYU blogs and incite anger, but when BYU fans respond, some of the trolls i.e. sgtoslc and 24flinching become pious and begin to chastise the BYU fans for celebrating... Perhaps it's a search for higher ground, but it comes across as hypocrisy...

I love our Defense and I am warming up to our Offense... Taysom still needs to work on his touch passes, but that will come...

One last comment, I wish that we were playing the uties this week instead of the 21st, I'm more than in the mood... chris b told us that the score would be very lopsided... He got it right, it's just that the 40 belonged to the Cougs... I only hope that his promise about his comments on BYU logs is accurate... He promised a one year silence if BYU beat his uties... I guess we'll soon see if he really meant it...

If you are Coug it is a time for celebration... But it also is a time for sobriety because after Utah (with the exception of Idaho State) we have a difficult schedule ahead of us.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:23 a.m.

Uteology

"as he matures..."

Reading comprehension problems?

I suppose you're one on these types that will say Texas wasn't that good.
    I can play that game as well.

Wildcats weren't that good either and you guys ran up the score.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:44 a.m.

Cris B.
    Sandy, UT
    2nd half:

Here comes the byu Meltdown.

It's going to be highly enjoyable!

Go Texas!

WELL I THINK YOU NEED TO EAT YOUR WORDS final score BYU 40 TEXAS 21 SO TROLL stick that in your pipe and smoke it

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:55 p.m.

Hey Chris. Better be ready for the 21st. You know I'm ready for it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:54 p.m.

sammyg
    Springville, UT

259 yds by Taysom Hill.

I'm liking the future of BYU football as Taysom matures.

-----------

You do? His QB rating dropped this week from 72 last week to 68 this week.

In two games he's 22/66 COMP% (13/40 and 9/26 or 33%). If he continues to throw like that you better hope defenses don't start stacking the box with 8-9 players like they did against JW4 and forcing Hays to throw.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Aggielove
    Cache county, USA
    I'm very impressed with byu tonight. They are going to be ranked in a week.

-----------

Is that bye week going to impress the voters or something?

Doubt it.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Chris, you just beat the WAC 2.0 and FBS teams. Leave beating Big XII teams to BYU and a PAC team in 2 weeks.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Should we mark that down, ChrisB? You didn't specify.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:27 p.m.

hockiechick
    Santa Monica, CA

"No. I'll still blame Bronco, the quarterback and lack of offense."

Wow, I thought you would have the foolish comment of the day. I should have waited to read the rest of your foolish, bitter friends.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:15 p.m.

I was wrong.

Utah will still complete the career 4-0 SWEEP over byu.

And the laughing at byu will be back in force!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:58 p.m.

From page 1 comments
    "Today, we are all Longhorns!
    Hook em Texas"

Uh, if you're going to pretend to be a fan of the Longhorns the least you can do is get the slogan correct. It's Hook 'em Horns, not Hook em Texas

Oh, and LOL!
    Mark that down

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:51 p.m.

upset? I'm not upset... great win for BYU!
    Utah Next.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:46 p.m.

Thank you to the classy ute comments. I don't count CB as a real fan. He's a hater, always will be. Congrats to the utes on working some kinks out today. Should be fun on the 21st, see U all then.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:38 p.m.

StgtoSLC and myself both provided our congratulations on an impressive win. Enjoy it and quit looking to be victims.

• B-BALLER SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Hey spok, did you say we? As in all ute fans give credit. That is why I think it is funny....I honestly think it is 1 in 100, and your that 1........

• No U Won't Reality, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:29 p.m.

@Spokane Ute

From most Ute fans, it is quite foreign to have U give credit where credit is due.

But I think what B Baller is referring to is the silence of those that were laughing it up when Texas went up early in the game.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Good one Spokane Ute. There's no "we". There's "you"
    Be sure and let us know when the rest of "we" show up to give credit. When Chris does it, now that will be foreign. Nice try though.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:25 p.m.

B-BALLER, Y "fans" are hilarious. Even when a handful of Ute fans stop by to congratulate a team for a good accomplishment, they still gloat and try to call people out. BYU's team today: good. BYU's "fans" today: still weak.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:24 p.m.

Blame it on the rain? Apparently not this week.

500+ rushing yards, really? Nicholls State had a better defense against Oregon.

Good win regardless considering no one gave you a chance!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:23 p.m.

Spokane Ute

Nice comments are appreciated. Now go talk smack with some Wildcat fans. LOL

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:21 p.m.

To Chris B may I just say,.....wait for it,....wait for it, MANIACAL LAUGHTER!
    Go Cougars!!!!!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:20 p.m.

259 yds by Taysom Hill.

I'm liking the future of BYU football as Taysom matures.

Congrats again to the Cougars for handing Texas a humiliating loss.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:16 p.m.

B-baler

How so? Do you find it funny that we give credit where credit is due? Is that foreign to you?

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:14 p.m.

There it is, kids! I need to repent of all I've said after last week's game.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:14 p.m.

Jamal Williams and Taysom Hill are doing an amazing job!

If only Taysom could pass as well as he could run, he'd be unstoppable!

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:13 p.m.

@ youtefan

BYU vs Utah isn't next week it is the week after.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:11 p.m.

Hey uties, at least you beat Weber State! They're in the same league as Texas, right?
    Still laughing Christofer B?

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:11 p.m.

Fourth quarter lead...and.....BYU shuts Texas DOWN!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:10 p.m.

BYU defense does the job again.

Ute trollers, where did you go?

• B-BALLER SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:05 p.m.

Ute fans are hilarious........Nuff said

• youtefan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Good game Cougars! Next week should be fun! Both schools rolling forward! Go Utea!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:54 p.m.

BYU football is back......just on the ground. Big cows can't stop cougars feasting on them!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:45 p.m.

BYU is looking awesome tonight. Nice job Cougs

• hockiechick Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:45 p.m.

Fourth quarter lead...and BYU goes three and out....in less than one minute!!!!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:45 p.m.

As I've said before! BYU is the only Utah team who could beat a team full of 5 star players as Texas.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:41 p.m.

I've forgotten how good this feels, to see the Cougs out-execute a good team. Not gonna gloat (yet), but my day is ending very nicely!

Goooo Cougars!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:40 p.m.

Yeah, sammy there was really only one Ute troll to begin with, and I'm as happy as anyone to see him silent. Barring an unlikely comeback, congrats to the Cougars on a good win. Still won't be a complete victory on the day for you, unfortunately as the Utes rolled today.

• satch Highland, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:40 p.m.

Never seen this kind of one week turn around for BYU. Amazing O-line push, running game, and KVN is impressive. Taysom needs to work on his passing accuracy, but playing with no fear.

Memorable.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Hey Chrissy. Where are you now? Oh...what's that? BYU sets new school rushing record. Can't wait for Utah in 2 weeks :).

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:36 p.m.

I'm very impressed with byu tonight. They are going to be ranked in a week.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:36 p.m.

We were promised a much improved offense through Spring ball and over the summer. Last week's game was a huge let down in that department. Seeing what the Cougars are doing to Texas in this game gives me some hope again.

The passing game is still a major concern, though.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:26 p.m.

Sammy calling some one a troll? I guess he should know this ute fan is giving credit where credit is due. I know that's very foreign to most on these threads

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Odd..37-21 right now, and that gimpy QB is over 200 yards rushing. Guess ute fans can still obsess over the fact that he only has 8 complete passes so far.

But then, maybe Texas has BYU right where thy want them?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:21 p.m.

Taysom Hill with over 200 yds rushing, 3 TDs at the tail end of the 3rd qtr.

Utesie trolls going silent...

And an off the post FG. What a game!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:08 p.m.

I was wrong. I predicted BYU would get beat badly. Kudos to Hill, Lasike, Williams, Anae, the defense, and even the O-Line.

It's been a great game to watch . . . but it's interfering with this old man's beauty sleep ;-).

Congrats to the Cougars.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:08 p.m.

34-14. Mark that down Chrissy.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:06 p.m.

BYU is taking Texas behind the wood shed, very impressive indeed!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Hill scores again with his legs. As for passing, he needs to target Hoffman more often. Cody is the only one that can make the necessary adjustments.

• rushfari@isu.edu Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:00 p.m.

Against So. Dakota, Jake Heaps was 10-20 for 110 yards.

Not sure that means anything but ....

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:50 p.m.

Chrissy B, etal., -

Have you enjoyed the first half??? 27-14. Mark it down, before you forget. Oh, and that Idaho boy is taking those Texas Short Horns to the wood shed. Mark that down, too. Enjoy the 2nd half.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Oh, and Taysom is still an ugly passer. Don't expect to win a lot of games against this caliber of team with passing like that.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Whether Chris B or Christofer B, people have lost their ability to foresee the future.

Fun first half. This is not the BYU offense of the 70's and 80's, but I'm not going to complain about 396 yards in the first half. Besides, when you have a talent like Jamal Williams, you exploit it. And hasn't Lasike been a pleasant surprise.

We can overlook a 22% completion percentage from a quarterback (4-18) when he picks up 166 yards with his feet, but we have to hope Taysom can start hitting his targets. With all the talk about drops, the receivers will drop a lot fewer passes if they are not thrown behind the guy, or with too much of a lead, or at his feet, or over his head. Somehow he seemed to be more accurate last year.

This game is far from over, but it does feel good to have a 27-14 at the half. The defense needs to play its best to preserve its lead.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:45 p.m.

So far so good as far as the game goes for the Cougs. You'd have to think Texas will make some adjustments against that read option, and the discrepancy of talent between UT's WRs and BYU's CBs has to be a major concern. Good position for BYU to be in at the half, but still anyone's game.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:42 p.m.

I wish I could be sitting in Chris B's basement with him and watching him squirm as the Cougars open a 13 point margin over the longhorns.

Get your momma to give you hugs Chris.. it's the only joy you'll get tonight!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:40 p.m.

No comment until the end of the fourth quarter. Go Cougs!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:38 p.m.

@Thomas Jefferson
    I'm sure the Utes will show up next week for their game with Oregon State, while BYU needs a BYE week to prepare for the Utes.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:29 p.m.

2nd half:

Here comes the byu Meltdown.

It's going to be highly enjoyable!

Go Texas!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:18 p.m.

Here's my question:

Which is the greater number?
    BYU points in the first half?
    Or Chris B's aliases?

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Was the last Time Tebow, er Hill, completion to a Texas player?

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:50 p.m.

b-baller,

byu can't beat Virginia

You think they can beat texas?

LOL

TOUCHDOWN Texas

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:46 p.m.

And its another...

Texas Touchdown!

Go Texas!

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:45 p.m.

And the byu secondary getting..

LIT UP!

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:39 p.m.

Interception!

Go Texas!

• B-BALLER SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:24 p.m.

I also think it will be hilarious if byu wins, that the byu haters will say that it was because of the weather. Right? That's will be funny...

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Speed is important at the corner position

And byu does not have it

LOL!

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:23 p.m.

speed KILLS,

and it just make a byu secondary look like a byu secondary

Go TEXAS!

• Christofer B Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:13 p.m.

I think the "overconfidence" is starting to build in Provo.

Texas was done 0-7 in 2nd quarter last week, and then started playing and won easily.

Same thing here...

• B-BALLER SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:06 p.m.

I think it is hilarious that byu haters read byu articles and then leave negative comments. Why? Grow up. I dislike the utes, but I will never comment on one of their articles. I don't even read them....anyway, quite funny..........

• Still slow, still soft Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:02 p.m.

Touchdown Texas!

• Still slow, still soft Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:54 p.m.

And its another cougar...

PUNT

• Still slow, still soft Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:32 p.m.

It will be interesting to see if Bronco has his guys run fast or slow this week.

Oregon is playing Virgnia(byu's opponent last week) and Oregon scored 21 points in the first quarter, which is more than byu scored all game.

I noticed that Oregon's players run fast.

I think that is the key to beating Virginia.

Bronco took the slow approach and it didnt work as well.

I also think Mack Brown will have Texas run fast.

Very fast.

It will be interesting to see if Bronco has his guys run slow again.

Another thing Oregon does is complete passes.

I noticed that also has helped.

Someone should tell Taysom.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Excited to see athletes that go fast and hard, with Texas.

Did you see what Oregon did to Virginia? 59 to 10

Do we know why Bronco decided to have his players run slow last week?

It seemed running fast like Oregon did was the way to go. They showed that Virginia is a terribl team.

Against Texas, do we expect bronco to have his guys run slow again?

Or will they run fast this week?

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Cincinnatus

Kearns, UT

So, if BYU loses this game, are the fans going to blame the weather again?

If you read the coog posts from the Virginia game they were the only ones playing in the rain.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:59 p.m.

It's a good thing Oregon is not on BYU's schedule. They pounded Virginia 59-10 on the same field the Cougars played on last week. Well not the same field, but the same field minus the the storm the followed BYU back home this week in Provo.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:50 p.m.

We've been gypped again, by the weather. Once again, no ESPN coverage. On to the next game. :(

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:45 p.m.

Cincinnatus - The answer to your question is yes! When BYU loses it's always someone or something else's fault! They are very picked on.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:44 p.m.

@ Cincinnatus

• hockiechick Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:43 p.m.

No. I'll still blame Bronco, the quarterback and lack of offense.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:42 p.m.

If BYU does lose the game though, can we say magic doesn't happen and weather does happen on and off the field?

I should have gone to see James Taylor with the choir at the conference center (missed it last night). This weather thing is way bizarre with BYU these first two games.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:39 p.m.

This time the weather situation benefits BYU. Rain and muck will take the speed advantage away from Texas and level the playing field.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:27 p.m.

BYU fortunately is at home for this weather delay and probably doesn't have a flooded locker room. The Cougars had momentum last week when the game was stopped for 2+ hours. They came back and punted.

This game is going to be great. Go COUGARS!!!!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:23 p.m.

@ Cincinnatus - Kearns, UT - "So, if BYU loses this game, are the fans going to blame the weather again?"

Oh, I don't know.....are any Utah fans going to come on BYU message boards and act all snarky by saying that due to 2 straight bad weather delays that God must not really love BYU football?.....

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Deja Vu

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:12 p.m.

Today, we are all Longhorns!

Hook em Texas

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 4:48 p.m.

So, if BYU loses this game, are the fans going to blame the weather again?