Sports

Former BYU receiver Austin Collie makes debut with 49ers, will wear No. 6

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Austin was a crowton recruit I believe is that right?

Does anyone know the last byu player drafted who was a Bronco recruit?

Drafted. Bronco recruit.

Anyone?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I wonder if he even had another catch his entire career?

One good hit in practice with one more head injury and teams won't touch him

Some people are just too fragile for the nfl. Not his fault. Just the truth.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 6:35 p.m.

It's been a long time, but I guess I'm a 49ers fan again!

• The Big One Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 6:48 p.m.

Son, do the rest of your life a favor and quit, before the damage is irreparable.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 2, 2013 6:57 p.m.

How many U recievers have caught a pass in the superbowl? What about a touchdown in the Super Bowl? Both collie and pitta have been to the SB...how bout you Chrissy?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:23 p.m.

As a huge 49er fan and a huge Collie fan, I am excited to see him light it up again. I'm sure he'll become a favorite target of Kaepernick, just like he was for Manning.

But if I were a friend or family member of Collie, I too would encourage him to hang up the cleats. There is more to life than football.

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Well when you're doing the right things off the field then good things are bound to happen on it!!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:59 p.m.

Collie will be wearing a Super Bowl ring by next February.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 9:27 p.m.

I love watching Collie play and as a die hard BYU fan as well as a die hard 49ers fan, this is early christmas! Show em what you can do Collie! Go 49ers!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:25 p.m.

Hopefully no more concussions!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Great kid. Wish him well and good health.

• RivertonUte Riverton, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:27 p.m.

@Pavalova

Kevin Dyson and Steve Smith are a couple of Ute receivers that have caught passes in a super bowl and Mr. Smith also caught a TD in that game.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:32 a.m.

So Chris, how many NFL quality players does it take to earn a trip to the couch potato bowl? Do you have enough this year?

My apologies to the rest of the classy posters - red, blue or whatever. Wishing him the best, and to one degree or another, wondering if this is the best decision.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 3, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Can't cheer for any sports team from that horrible city, but will be glad to hear when Collie gets some TDs.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Why he's taking such a risk is hard to understand.

How many NFL players does byu need to beat Utah?

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Congratulations to Collie on the opportunity to continue his career.

He knows the danger that lurks every time the ball comes his way.

He has made an informed decision based upon input from family/medical personal etc..

I hope he has a successful year.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Chris B,
    Why so frantic and emotional about an BYU alum getting a chance to play for a great team and organization as the 49ers?

Congrats A.C.

• FairchildIV Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Chris B. or Scott Issacson or whatever your name is these days:

Who cares about Bronco or BYU or Utah. This is the 49ers son, a legit Super Bowl contender. Not some cellar dewller like the Utes. Good for Collie for finding a job. I hope he stays healthy and has a superb season.

• Top5Alive salt lake city, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Good job Austin...finally in your whole football career you are with a winning team.

Sincerely,

8-11 years, 54-10 beat down.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:43 p.m.

RE: Chris B
    Does anyone know the bowl game Whittingham got his BCS team in to last year? In a conference that virtually assures a bowl to almost any team with a pulse?

Does anyone know which bowl all the reputable sports agencies predict Whittingham will get his BCS team in to this year? In a conference that virtually assures a bowl to almost any team with a pulse?

Anyone?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:53 p.m.

I am both big time BYU & 49ers fan all my life. I wish that I was at home in Marin County north of Golden Gate Bride. Welcome aboard Austin Collie but If anymore injuries like the concussion he better hang it up with 49ers. Welcome home. And go Cougers and 49ers.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:04 p.m.

As a Ute fan, I am getting really tired of seeing the comments from Chris B. He needs to put a sock in it. I was excited to see Collie become a great WR with the Colts. It's really too bad he has had so many concussions. That was why I never was able to play football. My cousins have had similar experiences to Collie. I hope he can stay healthy and really help out the forty niners. Should be exciting.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Does anyone know what conference byu is in?....Anyone?

Does anyone know when the Big 10 will call byu...Anyone?

Does anyone know the last time byu beat Utah?...Anyone?

Does anyone know the last time byu went to a BCS Bowl?...Anyone?

Does anyone know the last team that approached byu to schedule a game?...Anyone?

• ericNorCal San Jose, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:18 p.m.

For the record Kevin Dyson got tackled at the one and at the buzzer to lose the game. I played high school alumini b-ball while he was playing Ute football he made us look old fat and out of shape. He has springs and Collies springs should still work. My brain in not sprung neither is Steve Young's. I talked to Steve while doing doing work at his house 8 years after hitting a horse on my motorcyle at 75 mph I know of no defense corner who can hit like that. I could not smell or taste for 1 1/2 years. Steve remembered the wreak 8 years later. I told him I would have never gotten married without the head injury, Steve needed 6 before he got married. Collie is married went on a mission he will do fine. I hope he sticks around as a 49er so I can be a fan again.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Does anyone know the last time Utah won a National Championship?
    Does anyone know the last time Utah won a Heisman Trophy?
    Does anyone know the last time a Utah player was inducted into the National College Football Hall of Fame?
    Does anyone know the last time a Utah player won a National Individual Award?
    Does anyone know the last time Utah was ranked #1 in the AP or Coaches poll?
    Does anyone know the last time Utah had back-to-back Top 7 finishes?
    Does anyone know the last time Utah had three AP Top 25 finishes in a row?
    Does anyone know the last time Utah won a road game against a PAC team with a winning record?

* crickets *

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:57 p.m.

to BlueCoug

How trite & predicable? Tell me will you be rooting for the Lions, Miami, & steelers too?

to RivertonUte

Thank you.

to Tom in CA

Seattle will win the NFCW & beat Houston for the Lombardi Trophy.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:59 p.m.

re: Jealous U

and now for the $17.41 question... How many Ute fans know at least 3 byu fans who live in the past?

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Top5Alive,

You know what a winning team is right? Indy and BYU both won MORE games than they lost when Collie played for them.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:42 p.m.

Can't imagine we'll see Collie at San Fran for long ... Alex Smith knows as well as the rest of us that Collie will lose his job the second he gets another concussion.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Darn. Now I have to at least cheer for the Niners again. OC should contribute right away. Move over Jerry Rice.

@Top5Alive. Why do you choose to use only the last 11 years as the bragging line? Oh yeah because it makes the utes look better. I guess, for you, it beats starting in the modern era (where the forward pass was not frowned upon as a gimmick). But if you do that then BYU has the advantage 28-20. And were it not for the year 1988 BYU would have beaten U for a decade straight.

• sockpuppet Provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:24 p.m.

How is he wearing #6? That's a violation of NFL rules. Receivers are allowed to wear 80-89, or 10-19. Has the rule changed?

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Wow! I totally forgot about Smith and the Dyson super bowls. Loved watching those guys. I wish they would have got rings as well.

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 8:07 p.m.

Jealous U,
    You do realize the 1980's are over?

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 8:38 p.m.

Wally West

At least BYU has a past.

Unfortunately for U, you have no past worth remembering.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:37 p.m.

levi,

A *past is all you have.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA

Conference Championships
    Bronco 2
    Kyle 1

Bowls
    Bronco 8
    Kyle 7

Overall
    Bronco 74-29
    Kyle 70-32

Even in the present, the Utes can't keep up with the Cougars. It's been all down hill since Kyle's only Top 15 season.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:02 p.m.

pac man,

Again, you omitted the real telling comparison. Head to head, on the field.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:15 p.m.

ekute,

You seem to forget that there are 12 games in a season. 1 game is NOT all that matters. its the overall record and accomplishments of the season. Ute fans need to get over their obsession with winning one game a year against BYU and worry about the other 11 games in the season.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:27 p.m.

ekute

Only in the crimson-colored world where their only significant accomplishments are beating BYU would head-to-head be the only criteria for comparison.

Was UNLV(10-2) BETTER than Utah(9-4)?

Was Colorado(10-3) BETTER than Utah(8-5)?

Was #5 Texas A&M(11-2) BETTER than #1 Alabama(13-1)?

Was #7 Stanford(12-2) BETTER than #2 Oregon(12-1)?

Every season, dozens lesser teams beat greater teams; NOBODY, except the kids on the hill, believe that 1 game out of more than a dozen proves which team is BETTER/

"On the field" gives you one game bragging rights; it doesn't prove which team is BETTER.

In basketball, where teams often meet two or more times in the same season, the team winning the first game often loses the 2nd game. The only reason it doesn't happen more often in football is because there are far fewer rematches.

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:50 p.m.

I am originally from Northern California and have been a 49er's fan since I knew who they were as a little boy.

Those that know me; know that I really don't like College football but I did watch some BYU football when Austin Collie played for them.
    He is the only player that I watched in College and the Pro's that impressed me.
    Now he is a 49er! Another BYU - 49er connection!
    Tom Holmoe - Athletic Director, BYU & former Safety of the 49er's
    3 time - Super Bowl Champion.
    Todd Shell - BYU - 49er LB and Super Bowl Champion.
    Steve Young - BYU & former Hall of Fame QB with the 49er's &
    Super Bowl Champion MVP.
    Brandon Doman - BYU & 49er QB.
    I'm excited and hopefully Austin can avoid concussions!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Best of luck to Austin with the 49ers, for success on the field and for avoiding injuries.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 12:01 a.m.

I'm a Utes fan and a 49ers fan, and I think this is awesome! Hope Austin Collie does great with us. He'll be wearing a superbowl ring next year!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:49 a.m.

ImABeliever - Shhhhh, she still thinks Utah football is superior to Alabama because of 1 game. Don't shatter her fantasy!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:53 a.m.

I meant the last comment to talkinsports, not ImABeliever

• BYU Fan in DC Washington, DC
    Aug. 4, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I love to say it still "Collie is still open on 4th and 18". Congrats Austin

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Good for Collie. As they say - Timing is everything. This year the 49ers have a real NFL quarterback.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Nice job, Austin!

Now go out there and light up opposing DBs the way you did Utah's DBs!

4th and 18, baby!