U.S. & World

Obama's health law will be judged on 3 questions: Premiums, choice, consumer experience

Comments

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    July 11, 2013 8:39 a.m.

I suspect their are plenty of "Bosses" in Utah that will use this politically, but hey, Utah got it Wrong again, when they voted for Mitt. So I would expect plenty of whining in this state, My boss keeps complaining about the economy and it all Obama, (of course he religiously listens to am hate radio) The trouble is, I see how much more work we have, how much we've grown in the last 5 years, and continue to buy new equipment and hire to meet demand, you know the way a business works, while being told how tough it is to get by in this economy.

The lack of respect for employees by the elite in this country is sickening, and will cause us to fall long before universal healthcare will.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 4:12 p.m.

pragmatist,
    no, 40 minus 29 is NOT 1, it is 11.

I wonder why liberals have such a problem with math!?

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    July 6, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Patriot, I'll bet the full time aids weren't eligible for health care in the first place. So my logic holds. What is happening is workers who weren't eligible for health care are still not eligible for health care. It's just that in the majority of places anyone who worked over 30 hours was considered full time and eligible for benefits. Can you find a few morally bankrupt employers who just plain didn't offer health care sure. Your snarky "I don't know what you're talking about and I doubt neither do you" is very misplaced. I spent many decades at the senior management Human Resource level of some of America's largest and wealthiest corporations, so I do know what I'm talking about. What happens in Alpine Utah is not representative of the country.

Lost..if the difference in hours is one, which will be the case for most full timers being moved to part time I'll take part time with health care.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 6, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Barack Hussein Obama wasted his first two years on this "signature" achievement called The Affordable (what a joke) Health Care Act aka Obama Care. His "signature" achievement is now literally becoming a massive train wreck and complete disaster. Obama will go down in history as being the absolute worst president this country has ever had. Mark it down. He is already a failed "leader".

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 6, 2013 7:54 p.m.

pragmatist,
    would you rather be a full time employee without company-provided health insurance, or a part time employee with bare bones Obamacare?

The former can feed their families, the latter cannot; but they'll be able to wait in line for Obamacare!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 6, 2013 7:07 p.m.

If its such a great deal that Obama named it after himself.....why postpone it? Shouldn't we be excited to once again have Obamacare?

I'll tell you why? It's because Obama lied and it is a horrible bill and no one can afford it!......that's why only 47 % of USA have full-time work.

WE NEED A conservative party senate to roll back this disaster and gives us freedom and opportunity back!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 6, 2013 5:27 p.m.

re:pragmatistferlife

Alpine School District wrote a letter to ALL of their FULL TIME aids (40 hours per week) and informed them that due to Obamacare their hours would be cut to 27.5. I have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect neither do you...but nice try anyway. This full time to part time cut IS substantial (40 hours to 27.5 hours). I suspect if your boss at work informed you that you would be getting a nearly 40% cut in pay you would most likely not be too happy... correct? Of course I am assuming here you are actually a worker rather than a traditional Obama supporter which just collects Obama-bucks every week.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 6, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Well it looks like 0-3 for Barack on this one. Premiums are WAY up, choice is down with many corporations dropping their employee health care benefits and then comes the part of having to deal with the enforcer of Obamacare ....the IRS. I don't think we need elaborate on this one any further. The bottom line here is predictably nothing that Barack promised came true - in fact quite the opposite. This bill is ...as one senate democrat put it ... a "train wreck".

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    July 6, 2013 1:02 p.m.

That's ridiculous DC. First of all the "full time workers" who are being moved to "part time" are full time workers who didn't have health insurance in the first place. Secondly full time to part time is a one to two hour move, even if it happens. Secondly the demand for products and services will dictate the number of workers, full time and part time not the ACA. It always has and always will. The ACA will virtually do nothing to alter that over time.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 6, 2013 11:18 a.m.

No, Obamacare will be judged by the number of jobs it kills, or how many full-time workers it pushes to part time.

Of course, the BO misadministration will never let numbers like that actually be measured.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    July 6, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Speaking from California, one of the most prepared states , at the moment:
    1. The California pool has been set up. There are hints/ innuendoes that a bribe (whoops - administrative "fee"), had to be paid by the companies that choose to play.

2. I am retired, and have medicare-coordinated coverage access provided by my previous employer. My employer stopped paying towards it years ago. My employer is now considering dumping us retirees to the "pool" because of some kind of per-capita "fee". Apparently, the attorneys/ bureaucrats are struggling over the issue of wether or not they are providing coverage, over the technical issue of the definition of " who provides" (the payment is 100% mine).

3. I've looked at the pool, as recently released. My insurance carrier is there. The only plan that is cheaper has such high deductibles and copays as to be a near- useless joke. The other levels are all more expensive and have significantly higher copays.

Affordable Health Care Act? Yea, right!

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    July 6, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Another Associated Press story, pushing the regime propaganda talking points.

If you thought health care was expensive and hard to get before, just wait until Obamacare is fully implemented.

This monstrosity must be repealed, every last word of it, to undo the damage.