Utah

Unraveling Shurtleff and Swallow's complicated relationship with a felon

Comments

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    July 2, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Shurtleff's and Swallow's situations don't look rosy.
    Recordings are some serious proof....

• dan76 san antonio, TX
    June 14, 2013 2:45 p.m.

I know it. I Live it. I Love it.

According to past issues of the DN, the current governor knew of a pending investigation focusing upon Swallow prior to the Nov 12 election but yet thought it unnecessary to inform the electorate.

Did you vote for Governor Herbert?

• RShackleford Saint George, UT
    June 11, 2013 10:07 a.m.

"O' What a Tangled web we weave..."
    Money and Politics...you would be surprised what you see from normally honest men when power and money come into play.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    June 10, 2013 2:52 p.m.

It's time for an investigation to find out the truth. Allegations made to a newspaper reporter are nothing but that -- unproven allegations. I myself never liked Shurtleff because he seemed to think that his chief job was to decide which laws to enforce rather than to enforce all laws.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 10, 2013 2:36 p.m.

amazing that this whole affair continues to drag on and for how much money? In the meantime, the Clintons got away with Whitewater, the murder of Vince Foster, and the media has stopped altogether from doing any further investigative journalism. (Oh, sorry, that's an oxymoron, there is not such thing as investigative journalism today. It has become the Chicago-style dirt finding used by obama and his cronies.

• Ironman SANTA CLARA, UT
    June 10, 2013 1:17 p.m.

A convicted felon Jenson and a soon to be convicted felon Johnson singing like canaries. In a court of law, these two knuckleheads will have little credibility, if any.

• mightyhunterhaha Kaysville, UT
    June 10, 2013 12:29 p.m.

What is apparent is that Utah has no true Ethic Rules. Utah politicians can have a "conflict of interest" and as long as they report it; no harm no foul. Swallow and Republicans have tried to have meeting in a home outside the Public View! Something is seriously wrong in Utah. What was the plan? A secret plan to have Swallow step done before he points fingers at them? A way to keep Utah's corruption a secret? Oh wait! Our Utah Politicians could not be doing anything wrong. They were elected to represent us! Changes need to happen and fast in Utah. Legislature's owning property near the prison so they can score on a prison move along with this is a fiasco. "Something is rotten in Denmark!" Oops I mean Utah!

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    June 10, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Too many residents of the state of Utah are uninformed and, for the most part, party elites pick the candidates. An aberration was Mike Lee defeating Bob Bennett, which in turn forced Hatch to spend $6M to defeat Dan Liljenquist in the primary.
    These same party elites are trying to dismantle the caucus system in order to eliminate the voices of the informed and let the low information voter rubber stamp the choices of the party machines
    A few people were aware that Swallow was a Scumbag, but most voters went to the polls and cast there vote for the party endorsed candidate and consequently got what they deserved.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 10, 2013 9:36 a.m.

What are former and current AGs having a relationship with a criminal for anyway?

MAD, Jay Leno, and Jimmy Fallon couldn't come up with better material. Why do we here in Utah continue to put up with this nonsense? Is that R next to their names really so important?

• Vaughn J Kearns, UT
    June 10, 2013 9:24 a.m.

As a state delegate I met with Swallow at his meet and greet. My impression was he typified a lobbyist or used car salesman. I voted for his opponent at that time. The problem appeared that most delegates responded to Shurleff's support of Swallow rather than their own investigations.

I wonder how someone (lawyer) that was predominantly a lobbyist, fund raiser, etc. was qualified to become a"chief" assistant to the AG shortly after their visit to Calif. The Swallow campaign made many references to issues that suggested that Swallow was the force behind the regulation (had written it), such as in the DOMA issue. The reality was that the legislature passed the bill and that in about an 80 page decision the judge made a 1 paragraph reference that Utah had standing to be involved. Swallow used this as method to improve his exposure to the voter, probably at tax payer expense because he could justify a trip to Washington when the case was held last year.

Swallow also claimed to be responsible for money from banks on the mortgage issue. Did he personally have that much to do with this, or because of minimum involvement could claim responsibility?

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    June 10, 2013 9:11 a.m.

"What kind of person smiles for their mug shot?"

People like Marc Jenson. If you knew him you would understand.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    June 10, 2013 8:59 a.m.

What kind of person smiles for their mug shot?

• Twin Sister LINDON, UT
    June 10, 2013 8:45 a.m.

Here is a little verse I learned in elementary school long ago:

"Oh what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practice to deceive."

All three of these "spiders" are getting more and more tangled in the webs of deceit they have spun with their flat out lies, white lies, lack of ethics, and self-centered motives. Eventually the truth will come out. It is time to hold all individuals involved in under-the-table, backhanded politics accountable for their deceitful practices.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 10, 2013 7:53 a.m.

Here is a novel idea, how about Shutleff and Swallow NOT have a COMPLICATED relationship with a convicted criminal at all. These two want us to honestly believe they stated at this guy's resort on accident? Of all places to take a vacation they just happened to end up ther

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2013 11:51 p.m.

CHS 85,

I won't get into this anymore than this...

I didn't say he didn't get my vote in the last election. I stated that in the last election 90% of my votes were republican. My only real point was that Utah Republicans are often generalized and I am a clear example of why such hasty generalizations are logical fallacious and cannot stand up to reason.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2013 11:36 p.m.

Grand jury time.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    June 9, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Meanwhile, The repeated close associations between Barack Obama and convicted violent felon Bill "some guy in my neighborhood" Ayers are given a pass by nearly all in the mainstream media. Not to mention Blagoyovich and all the other cast of tawdry players in the cesspool of Chicago politics.

Such are the ethical standards of the "journalists" of the modern era.

If and when any actual criminal acts are alleged, charged, and proven, I will condemn Swallow, but until then this smacks of character assassination by a bunch of politicos.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2013 6:21 p.m.

Utah is a pretty small state politically. Those who sit above the salt and see themselves as the elite know and interact enough that others knew of the trips and sleaze but said nothing, looked the other way, or maybe asked for the names of the big donors so they could contact them.

The silence from both sides is deafening as it appears this is the way both major parties raise money and peddle influence.

Some day the wheeling and dealing surrounding the move of the state prison from the present site to some other site will come out and we'll see other well dressed, well groomed men and maybe women trying to explain themselves. I am sure the grand-kids are proud. It's all about family you know.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    June 9, 2013 6:13 p.m.

@I know it. I Live it. I Love it.

"And I did NOT vote for Mark Shurtleff."

Since Mark Shurtleff wasn't on the ballot, why was it necessary to point this out?

• Kellie Wood Orem, UT
    June 9, 2013 5:44 p.m.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion". 121:39

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Most Truthful and Patriotic,

1- 90% of my votes in the last election were Republican.

2- What I believe in religiously,, politically, philosophically, or in any other form of moral principle... is best represented in the conservative political base (though barely and in many cases not at all).

3- I refuse to vote party line or support someone I don't know, don't agree with enough, or don't trust to govern honestly.

4- I study everyone, including each judge, on the ballot very carefully. I study their rulings, bills, and activities. I also look at the choices they made that people found most critical. I do what any responsible, even respectable voter should. I research then vote honestly.

SO...

I just wanted to say that in most ways you could label me a conservative republican (though I wouldn't). I may be part of a crowd due to being 90% similar to them, but my goal is to follow God, not the crowd. I'm just saying I'm part of that typical Utah crowd you referred to and I do in fact have a spine. ;)

And I did NOT vote for Mark Shurtleff.

• Government Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 9, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Wow. Just reading this jumbled mess of corruption gives me a stomach and headache. What were Swallow and Shurtluff thinking? Both of these guys seem to have become corrupted at the core. It is definitely time for Swallow to resign or be impeached. This is a sad commentary on Utah Politics.

• cns St George, Utah
    June 9, 2013 12:01 p.m.

It looks like we either believe a convicted felon or the past and current Attorneys General.
    Sadly, I am inclined to believe the convicted felon.

Most Truthful and Patriotic has it right. As long as we keep Utah an overwhelmingly one party state and keep returning to office people with questionable abilities and ethics we will keep getting the Shurtleffs and Swallows.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 9, 2013 11:56 a.m.

City Weekly did a detailed expose on this nearly a month ago? Where has the D-News been?

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    June 9, 2013 10:07 a.m.

.....and yet, with all the KNOWN issues with Shurtleff in 2008, Utah re-elected him to a third term.

Utah voters: as long as we citizens (only party "activists") select the candidates, and as long as YOU keep voting for that one pa(R)ty, Utah will continue to elect the shoddy and obstructionists.

How many of you have the spines to stand up to Utah's status quo?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 9, 2013 9:51 a.m.

It is time for Swallow and Shurtleff to be prosecuted.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2013 7:58 a.m.

Why do I have such a slimy feeling when I read about **any** of these people?

• bricker pleasant grove, ut
    June 9, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Glad that the d news has done a very informative article on this. It is a messy and embarrassing subject for Utah. But now it is apparent that the problem has to be taken care of, sooner rather than later. I don't think it looks well for us to just wait around hoping the FBI or the feds take care of it. Its our problem we need to take care of it in house.

• theodoreable Heber City, UT
    June 9, 2013 6:59 a.m.

Crooks....each and everyone of them. What happened to the hard working, honest politician. Opps.....it is no longer the 1700s.....oh well. One would wish that folks had basic decency but not in today's world. It is a shame they can't be honest and save us all a lot of money and effort.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 9, 2013 5:29 a.m.

Still missing the story. Jenson was a fraud and went to prison to pay for his crimes. where is the wrong doing on Swallow and Shurtleff's part? Perhaps its too confusing to me.

The perp is doing the time since he ripped people off. Good!