BYU basketball: Coach Dave Rose has high hopes for Cougars' point guard combo of Carlino and Collinsworth

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 7, 2013 10:21 a.m.

When it comes to football, we are constantly reminded by Ute fans that games played during the '70s, '80s, and '90s are irrelevant, that only records since 2000 count, and that recent head-to-head results between BYU and Utah are the ONLY factor to consider when determining the relative strength of the programs.

Using that logic, and in light of Dave Rose's remarkable 12-3 ownage of Huntsman Junior High aka University of Utah in basketball, then one can conclude that BYU is the up-and-coming program in the state while Utah is fading and living on past glories.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 7, 2013 7:56 a.m.

I actually think what coach Rose is alluding to is intriguing. I agree with other posters that Collinsworth is more of a slasher and get in the paint type player. If BYU fans step back and think a minute...on last years squad who could slash and break down defenses better than Collinsworth? Answer: no one, and that hurt BYUs ability to get open shots both inside and outside...one of the more important duties of a PG is to get those open shots for other players (why do you think Tony Parker is such a great PG for San Antonio...it's certainly not because of his perimeter shooting ability). I agree with other posters as well regarding our bigs. We have to get more depth in the paint. Hopefully Mika will be as tough and talented as he's projected to be.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    June 6, 2013 8:55 p.m.

@Lo Cal Reader
    "Why stop there? I've seen a lot of the good high school teams institute the 3-guard systeme as well."

FYI...a lot of really good D-1 programs run a 3 guard offense. It's pretty common as a matter of fact....and successful. Especially in tournament play.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    June 6, 2013 2:15 p.m.

RE: AZUTE1

"Cue the comments regarding UTAH's challenges in replacing our Legend, etc., but prestige on the national stage is earned via The NCAA Tourney and the disparity between UTAH/byu over the years couldn't be remotely greater than it actually is."

If the clock starts in 2004 for Utah/BYU football, maybe it should for basketball as well. Since then...

NCAA tournament appearances:
    Utah, 2 (+1 CBI appearance)
    BYU, 6 (+2 NIT appearances)

NCAA tournament wins
    Utah, 3
    BYU, 5

Take out 2004 and Utah has ZERO tournament wins but BYU still has five. You're right, there is a disparity, just not the one you were hoping for. Go Cougs!

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    June 6, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Agree with provocougar. Collinsworth is a utility player and knows how to win. Beating LP all those years shows it, and the fact that he was the team's leading rebounder in the Sweet 16 run after his older brother couldn't play, Rodgers got hurt, and Davis left school shows that he can step up when the need is there.

Regardless of where he plays, having KC, Carlino and Haws on the court at the same time could be a very good thing this year. It might be that Rose is preparing Cougar fans for a lot of "small ball" next year (+ Mika).

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 6, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Credibility on individual posting is impacted by the truthfulness of what an individual actually says... You can figure out the credibility on your own as it relates to the individual who frequently posts from Arizona... It's lacking to say the least.

How anyone that claims to be a supporter of the school on the hill can even comment on the sport of Basketball makes me chuckle... One simply needs to look at the record this school has against the Cougs over the last 7 years... 1-12... Sad but true... Then, if we were to take it one step further and compare the highly touted Arizona Wildcats record against the Cougs over the past 5 years it would read 0-2... with an average loss diferential of almost 30 points per game... Ouch.

If I were this individual I would be waiting and hoping for Gymnastic season because that is really the only sport that his team can legitimately claim superiority over the Cougs... Again, sad for them but true.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 6:47 a.m.

I like the options that BYU now has on the outside. My worry is still if the two newcomers, Mika and Worthington along with Austin and Sharp can carry the 4 and 5 positions. I wish BYU had been able to pick up one more quality big man.

Regardless, should be a fun year with an excellent shot at the dance.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 6, 2013 5:53 a.m.

"Collinsworth played considerable minutes as a freshman on the 2010-11 team. Led by Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery, that squad reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament."

byu's first Sweet 16 since the Ainge-led Elite 8 run 30+ years ago, and this was with their most celebrated player ever, in JF.

I get byu fans confused the attention received nationally regarding JF as an indication of what they actually accomplished on the court with regard to the national stage and this provides their reality-check for them.

National leader in Tourney appearances without ever reaching The Final Four....Prestigious designation for byu, to say the very least.

• provocougar Provo1, UT
    June 6, 2013 1:32 a.m.

BYU will be very lucky to have three very special guards that should compliment each other very well. I guess I have been watching a different Kyle Collinsworth for the last several years. He fills a real need for BYU, a true leader and a great passer. He also is a total winner. He never lost to Lone Peak. As for shooting, I guess 48 percent from the field is not good enough. In high school he shot over fifty percent from both the three point line and from the field. Check out his stats from High School. He averaged almost a triple double. He was an NBA Top 100 player. And he was good enough to play all five positions at BYU, including guarding Delaldova out front and Gonzaga and Florida bigs in the back. He also had over 30 rebounds in the NCAA tournament. Fans shouldn't judge a player that played with Jimmer his senior year. He made all of his teammates worse because he controlled the ball. Was Noah better with or without Jimmer? I am excited to watch BYU next year. KC will make the team better in every way.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 5, 2013 10:54 p.m.

@GD... I think that you are wrong... I look to BYU to surprise this year... Austin will be alot more agressive on Offense, as will Sharp and I think Mika will make a significant splash... Carlino will be better and more consistent and Haws will be consistent as well... I expect a 25 Win season with a trip to the Dance...

• DRay Roy, UT
    June 5, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Coach Rose will always be guard oriented, hope assist coaches can recruit, develop the bigs...still true that bb at highest level requires height, rebounding, wide, strength around basket,

• GD Syracuse, UT
    June 5, 2013 10:17 p.m.

I don't like Carlino or Collinsworth at point guard. Collinsworth's strength is penetration. He is not a good shooter. I'm hoping Bartley and Halford can play the position. Bartley's a freshman and may not be ready for that responsibility. Rose is a good coach and I'm sure he'll use the players where they'll help the team the most. Lacking a power forward will hurt the Y this year. We'll see a lot of 3 guards playing together. I'm looking forward to watching them even though we will be a very average team.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 5, 2013 2:03 p.m.

I like Kyle as a player... He's more of a slasher than a spot up shooter, He's got good quickness, he's a good defender and a very good rebounder for his size... He seemed hesitant to shoot the 3 ball, but then he had Jimmer and Emery on the floor with him...

He's very versatile and can play 1,2,3, or 4 at the Division I level... although his natural position is probably a #3... I really don't recall seeing him play #1 his Freshman year, but he was a good ball handler and more risk adverse than Carlino... I do remember that on occasion when the team was pressed (man to man) he would clear the ball in the back court but seldom if ever did I see him with the ball at the top of the key running the offense...

In fact, as I recall his missed free throw on a 2 shot foul at the end of regulation that would have put us in the elite 8 against Butler was shot while he was playing the #4 poition and the foul occured on a rebound and put-back opportunity.

He'll help us alot this year.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 5, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Care to reveal your source for that? And "I saw it in a dream" doesn't count.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 5, 2013 12:18 p.m.

One thing's for sure: They certainly will be the best guard combo in the stete.

When is that powerful PAC-12 program up on the hill going to be able to beat Weber State and USU?

• gamer PROVO, UT
    June 5, 2013 11:30 a.m.

Here's the real story. Collinsworth and his parents before signing with BYU and during his mission have claimed that he'd transfer if Kyle didnt get to play at the PG guard spot. Seeing that he can do everything but shoot- then, if the shooting came around then a 1 or a 2 would be the only positions he could play in the NBA. They know his only chance to get in the league is at the guard spot and so that's where he'll play when coach Rose can aviod using him at the 3 or at desperate times at the 4. When Kyle played the 4 in the NCAA tournament a few years ago his parents weren't happy at all. They want scouts to see his guard potential.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    June 5, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Collingsworth needs a lot of work on his shot before I'd be too excited about him playing a guard spot.

Smart, athletic player - but point guard?

• JamastrJ Eagle mountain, UT
    June 5, 2013 9:53 a.m.

What that article really says is this "I really hope Kyle can handle the point, so I can move Carlino to his real position as a scoring guard". KC doesn't need to score a ton from that position. BYU is an inside out team and Carlino is not a good decision maker with ball.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    June 5, 2013 9:26 a.m.

"Some of my best teams in junior college...." Hmmmmm. We're going to compare Juco basketball to a major Div. 1 program? Odd quote. Why stop there? I've seen a lot of the good high school teams institute the 3-guard systeme as well.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    June 5, 2013 9:13 a.m.

This is a reader's comment forum. Readers are readers and not coaches. None of them say they are coaches and none of them say they know more than coaches. They are expressing their opinions. Some readers have played and coached and watched and are reasonably intelligent...all of which entitles them to an opinion...and to be criticized for their opinions...but not really for being readers and not coaches.

Keep those reader opinions coming...that's what this comment board is for.

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    June 5, 2013 8:23 a.m.

totally agree with those who call out Collinsworth for his offensive skills. when I heard that he was Utah high school player of the year for 2 years I was so excited to watch him play. when I saw his shooting form I almost fainted.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    June 5, 2013 8:10 a.m.

It's always great to hear from those who always know better than the coach. I'm sure they've had the years of experience coaching, attend all the practices, and are excellent judges of talent. I'm sure if they only had the chance they could surely be the best coach in BYU basketball history.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    June 5, 2013 5:35 a.m.

I must shout out a loud "BUTTERSCOTCH" at Rose's comments.

I loved Collinsworth as a freshman player and look forward to having him back. However, the problem with him is that he has struggled offensively in getting his own shot. Certainly, Carlino never has seen a shot he wouldn't take and he does not share Collinsworth's shortcomings. However, I was befuddled that Rose would make the statements reported in this article.

Is this Rose's effort at misdirection -- since the Cougars definitely need front court help and lack experience at Power Forward and Center? Why focus on guard play? Duh, me! I don't get it . . . but I do get that BYU has been getting killed inside by teams with good bigs.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    June 5, 2013 5:33 a.m.

Love Mildred. Always brings good perspective...keep 'em coming girl...

• THE MTN MAN Taylorsville, UT
    June 4, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Agree with Vladhagen. Collinsworth seems to be good at everything except shooting. Not sure if he would fit really well at point guard. And BYU already has Carlino with Bartley and Halford as backups, so it's not like they NEED more guys at that position. But Collinsworth will definitely help the team, wherever he plays.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    June 4, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Be interesting to see who gets playing time with that many gurds on scholarship

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2013 9:26 p.m.

With these two, we could have the best back court in the country.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2013 9:25 p.m.

I always thought that Collinsworth played SF........he did not seem to really have the outside shot to play guard, and his height is more fitting for a 3. I hope that he can get better at free throws at the very least. Although maybe he could bring a good alternative to PG. I always liked the guy when he was on the floor, so it is good to have him back at any rate.