Utah

Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away

Comments

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Any person who spends so much time in the service of suffering, will undoubtedly have a unique empathy for the Human Condition.

I love the Monsons for that. It is called Charity and is the greatest of all virtues. Welcome Home Francis!

• resimpson1983 Boulder City, NV
    May 19, 2013 9:18 a.m.

We love you President Monson! May you and your family feel the love of our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ during this difficult and trying time. The example you set for the Priesthood holders in the Church of how to treat their eternal companions is very admirable. Your example is one that each of us should pattern our marriages after. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. We are very gratefu to you for you stalwart example in leading the members of this Church. We wish to thank your sweet wife Frances for her many sacrifices in behalf of the members of the Church. We love you Sister Monson.

• Jack Rifle New Zealand, 00
    May 19, 2013 1:52 a.m.

On behalf of our family in Pirongia, Waipa, of the Te Awamutu Ward of Temple View Stake in New Zealand; we send our condolences and love to President Monson and his family.Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Arohanui (much love)

From the Rifle (Raiwhara) family.

• gratefulmouse san angelo, tx
    May 18, 2013 10:47 p.m.

My daughter sent a text to me via of course my phone telling me sister monson had passed...I was shocked and my computer was down and coudlnt look it up so I went to the TV and nothing...I was sure that such an important event would be on the news...but alas it was not...I kept searching to hear it throughout the day...anyway I managed to get my computer back up to read this....I wonder how president monson is holding up..this was his life long partner...its tough I know...its like something is missing that you had grown use to....I see it this way...its like looking at writing on paper and then noticing where someone erased part of it..you can see something writen was there because of its shadows but it is not really there..so I know her spirit will be watching over president monson..but she is glorious now see all her family...God bless them...

• johntvalentine Tamaqua, PA
    May 18, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Our Father in Heaven, has blessed our beloved America and the world, by giving us two beautiful people. A loving couple, that set the example, for all the world to follow. An absolute success story, of family, love at home, hard working, loving thy neighbor. Always reaching to serve others. True followers, of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. My earnest prayer would be, that all the Sisters of the world, could experience the life of Sister Monson. May the Lords richest blessing be upon the Monson family.

• Tim Turner Longmont, CO
    May 18, 2013 12:40 p.m.

A very well written and touching article. A wonderful tribute to the life of Sister Monson. We love the Monson family and express our condolences to President Monson and his family.

• Gracie Boise, ID
    May 18, 2013 12:21 p.m.

This article pays tribute to an amazing lady! She was an example of courage beyond expectation. Learning a little of her remarkable history shows what a great woman she was and makes clear how her determination to do the right thing enabled her husband to become the great man he's still needed to be. May their whole family be comforted at this difficult time, especially while knowing she isn't suffering anymore.

• lck Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:48 a.m.

President Monson,
    I started praying for you and your family as soon as I heard of the passing of your sweetheart and companion. May Father bless you and your children, their spouses and the grandchildren and great grandchildren with peace and comfort. We lost our son at age 16 three years ago, and I know something of grief, and of the power of Father and Jesus to give miraculous comfort. I pray for that miracle for you. I love you and will continue to pray.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 18, 2013 7:37 a.m.

A faithful mother is the "wellspring of hope". In this age of personal fulfillment (and worse) for women, Mrs. Monson is a "lantern in the darkness".

• Albert Maslar CPA (Retired) Absecon, NJ
    May 18, 2013 7:12 a.m.

Frances Monson has passed back to the Creator, and during her time on earth, served as a living tribute to life, marriage, and morals. May Frances happily rest in peace with the Creator. Condolences to Frances' husband, President Thomas S. Monson and their extended families and congregations, and not to be forgotten, congratulations on living exemplary lives.

• qtwhitby Mapleton, Utah, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:00 a.m.

our condolences go to you and your family. I know she is with our Heavenly Father watching over you and your family.
    What a grand reunion it must have been for her parents and her.
    May the comforter be with you and your family. We lost my mother-in law and my mother 2011 and 2010.
    Our hearts and love go out to you.
    God Bless You,
    Quint & Terry Whitby and family

• Kathie Indio, CA
    May 18, 2013 1:44 a.m.

So grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the restoration and for our wonderful Prophet and his family. So glad to know that relationships go on past the veil and we can be together forever. We love you President Monson and our prayers are with you as well as our thoughts.

• trsahill Boise, ID
    May 17, 2013 9:58 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers are with you President Monson. I know how much you loved Sister Monson. Heavenly Father knows that too. I am so thankful we have the fullness of the gospel and because of that we are blessed and we will see our loved ones again. I know you know that but I wanted you to know I know that, too. My husband and I love you!
    Teresa & Howard Hill
    Boise Idaho

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    May 17, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Some of President Monson's most memorable speeches included stories of his wife. Her passing is a great loss.

• texascharity Placerville, CA
    May 17, 2013 8:10 p.m.

My prayers go out to our blessed Prophet and his family. She was a beautiful woman.

• ghanks Tacoma, WA
    May 17, 2013 6:30 p.m.

My heart aches for our dear prophet and the Monson family. Still, prayer brings peace and optimism, and I have prayed earnestly for them. Though never privileged to know Sister Monson, I believe I can see her sweet persona shining through her beloved husband. We love you President Monson! May the Lord bless and strengthen you and your family.

• sg newhall, CA
    May 17, 2013 6:16 p.m.

We have known the Monsons since our conversion in Toronto. Frances was a dear friend of our family. Our condolences to Pres. Monson and his family during this time of their loss. May they be strengthened and comforted at this time.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    May 17, 2013 6:10 p.m.

She was a very selfless woman and her dedication and work was often unseen. My prayers are with Pres. Monson.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Prayers for loving comfort going out to President Monson, to help sustain him during their temporary separation.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2013 4:20 p.m.

can't image being married 64 years then losing that companion. Even with the strongest of faith the loss will be hard.

• solsticelight Newport, OR
    May 17, 2013 3:46 p.m.

She led by example. A lady of grace who inspired with her quiet dignity. A woman such as this would be like an amphitheater for the "still, small voice" of the Holy Spirit to her family. This Sunday will be a day filled with a great out-pouring of prayers and compassion when we all gather. Sister Monson will continue to inspire us all forever! My family's love and condolences go out to the her family.

• Odellyn Litchfield, IL
    May 17, 2013 3:13 p.m.

The loss must be so great after such a long and precious life together. I don't know President Monson personally, but his stories are always so moving. I imagine his family will be sharing their wonderful memories of the woman they all loved so much in different capacities that will carry them through this difficult time. May the Lord bless them with the peace needed to move forward until they each find their time in life has come to an end and join her again. My deepest gratitude to each member of the Monson family for the sacrifices made to bless the lives of so many others.

• firstborn28 Trinidad WI, 00
    May 17, 2013 2:55 p.m.

All of the Caribbean saints share in our Prophet`s sorrow as we have joined with him in his joyous moments..Our prayers are with him and his family at this moment.

• apache1 Phoenix, AZ
    May 17, 2013 2:40 p.m.

I extend my thoughts and prayers to President Monson and his family at the passing of Frances, his beloved eternal companion and mother to his children. May your faith and the thoughts and prayers and the deep and abiding love of the entire church support and sustain you during this difficult time.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    May 17, 2013 1:21 p.m.

My sincere condolences to Thomas Monson.

I my not agree with the LDS Church, but Monson is generally a good man, and his sweet wife was a devoted woman.

• Beverley Clement Millsboro, DE
    May 17, 2013 1:21 p.m.

My husband, Benjamin Ralph Clement, Jr., and I offer our deepest condolences and love to the family of Frances Beverly Monson. A more devoted wife, mother, and Child of Heavenly Father you could never find. Thank you, Sister Monson, for all the love and support you have given President Monson. Our hearts are full with love and gratitude for your earthly life. May you enjoy Peaceful Rest and enjoy seeing all of your family members who have been called home before you. Rest assured, President Monson, your family, and the leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will always be in our hearts and our prayers. We offer our prayers on their behalf for comfort and peace as they grieve your passing and rejoice in knowing you are relieved of all pain and sorrow. May your life be an inspiration to others to know, follow, and embrace the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for a life of service and joy.

• favorita ward argentina, 00
    May 17, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Estimado Presidente Monson,desde Argentina Estaca Mendoza Barrio Favirita,nuestras condolencias,todo el barrio siente este tiempo de separacion,gracias por su ejemplo y dedicación,les amamos y lo seguiremos haciendo por siempre,estaremos orando por usted.

• purplegranny Cambridge, Ontario, Canada, 00
    May 17, 2013 12:42 p.m.

We would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to President Monson and his family on the loss of dear Sister Monson. She is a very wonderful lady who was so supportive of her husband and family and always remembered us. We pray for Heavenly Father's peace and comfort to be with the family in this sad time in their lives. May the gospel truths sustain each of you.

Thank you, President Monson, for the leadership, love and example that you share with the world.

With much love,
    Richard W. and Paulette Dubeau Jenkinson

• craftybabs Lincoln, CA
    May 17, 2013 12:30 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to President Monson and his family. May the Lord be with you all.

• TÂnia FranÇa Brasil, 00
    May 17, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Dear Prophet,
      sorry for your love has left him today. But we know that soon will be together for eternity. This is the promise of the Lord.
    Our prayers and gratitude for service to the world, as an example of faith and love of neighbor.
    Family França,
    Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

• TÂnia FranÇa Brasil, 00
    May 17, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Dear Prophet,
    Family França
    Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

• Colene in Texas SPRING, TX
    May 17, 2013 11:40 a.m.

My condolences to President Monson, his children and grandchildren. Yours is a profound loss, and one that effects us all. Thank you for sharing your lovely bride, and may the Comforter bring you solace in the days to come.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 17, 2013 11:38 a.m.

How sad.

My family and I will pray for Pres. Monson and his family tonight in our family prayer.

Hang in there Pres. Monson! I'd tell you that you'll see your sweetheart again, but if ANYONE on the earth already knows that, you do.

• carrieketc Murray, UT
    May 17, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Dear precious Monson family, We are so grateful for all of the love and caring that President and Sister Monson have shared with us over the years. We are deeply saddened for your family that you will be parted from this beautiful matriarch of your family for the mortal duration of your lives. I lost my husband when I was thirty years old with four very small children at my side, and even though the mourning can be heart breaking at times, Heavenly Father will hold you in his arms and carry you through. Have faith, feel peace, you are not alone and your heart does not have to feel the weight of the pain on it's own. We love you and our prayers are with you. Carrie Bryant and children

• MireyaSB MÉxico, 00
    May 17, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I am so sorry to hear about Sister Monson. She was a great woman and a good example for everyone.

• oldschooler USA, TX
    May 17, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Sad day for all LDS members, our condolences to President Monson and his family, we love you and respect you.

• Sean Jackson Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 11:09 a.m.

My thoughts are with President Monson and his family. We will pray for their comfort and feelings of love during this time.

• LDSuk UK, 00
    May 17, 2013 10:39 a.m.

My deepest condolences to our beloved prophet and his family at this sad time. I'm sure the Lord will comfort them in their time of need. Our prayers are with them, here in the UK. May the Lord bless and keep them.

• Arizona Rocks Phoenix, AZ
    May 17, 2013 10:30 a.m.

We love you President Monson and your lovely wife Francis. We know that Heavenly Father is comforting you this very hour and will do so in the days and weeks and months to come. He loves you! He knows your heart is heavy and will sustain you. It was so wonderful to get to know you and Frances by reading your bio "To The Rescue" ... we just finished reading it last week....so it was with great sorrow to read the news this morning. One day you will be able to dance with her again. With love from the Staley's & Smith's in Arizona.

• Harrison Lapahie Shiprock, NM
    May 17, 2013 10:23 a.m.

I did not know Sister Frances Monson, but I do know of the Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who is a remarkable and accomplished leader. Therefore, because of this, I feel sad for the passing of Sister Frances Monson. I know it will affect the Prophet and her family. I have made a prayer that her family will overcome any sadness that they may be feeling, and personal struggles that they may be experiencing caused by her passing. And that they come out of this as stronger individuals knowing she is with Heavenly Father, and that someday, they can also be with her.

• LittleStream Carson City, NV
    May 17, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Our families thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What joy in knowing you will be reunited with Frances. We love you, President Monson!

• Ruthey01 Bremerton, WA
    May 17, 2013 10:08 a.m.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Pres. Monson and his family at this time. May our Loving Heavenly Father surround you with peace. She has returned to her Father and is waiting for you to join her.

• jerianaya Whittier, CA
    May 17, 2013 10:05 a.m.

My dear President Monson, and family,

My heart goes out to you today over the loss of Sister Monson. I know what great comfort there is in knowing that she is with our Father in Heaven; still, the earthly separation is so difficult. Please know that you, and your family are in my family's prayers. We love you so!

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 17, 2013 10:05 a.m.

My deepest condolences, President. While we have a knowledge that we will see our deceased family members again in a better place, the fact that they are not here now is still just as painful. It is now time for you to be comforted in YOUR hour of need, jsut as you have given comfort to so many others. You are loved and prayed for.

• AlexGomez2 Lindon, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:02 a.m.

My profound condolences to Pres. Monson, our beloved Prophet and Sister Gibb as well as brother Monson (son) and the rest of the family. May Heavenly Father bless Pres. Monson with strength to continue with this VERY important calling.

• catcrazed Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:01 a.m.

My sincere condolences to the Monson family. May you be surrounded by God's tender mercies at this sorrowful time.

• plchambers007 Cheney, WA
    May 17, 2013 10:00 a.m.

President Monson loves his wife so much. Theirs is truly a forever relationship. They have weathered earth life together, they will weather death and they will enjoy eternal happiness and joy in time to come. Comfort and tender regards from a widow to this wonderful church leader and widower. I will pray for your comfort and the love of family and friends to help sustain you. Thank you for all you do to lead the Church even in these times of personal loss and tragedy. I'm sure the Savior must love you so much for your sacrifice and service. I do too.

• heres117 Pleasanton, CA
    May 17, 2013 9:57 a.m.

I am so very sorry for President Monson's loss. May the Lord give him peace and strength. Sister Monson will be lovingly waiting for him in paradise.

• Hooky Riverton, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:52 a.m.

It is sad to hear of Sister Monson's passing. She has undoubtedly lived a life of great dedication and sacrifice for the gospel, and given a great deal of support to her husband. I will pray for the Monson family.

• mayorruth Choctaw, OK
    May 17, 2013 9:52 a.m.

What an elect lady. I know you will miss her, but I also know that the Gospel makes everything so clear and bearable. We love the Monson family.

• daronkuhl escalon, CA
    May 17, 2013 9:51 a.m.

The miss never goes away.But take solice in knowing she's in paradise.Sorry for your loss. God bless you !!!

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Said to hear about it! My condelences to President Monson and his loved ones!

• Southernmiss kaysville, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Our family loves you President Monson, and we will be praying for you and your family to find joy in the great plan of happiness that you know so well! Sister Monson is an inspiration to us and will continue to be, and your children and grandchildren are so blessed to have her for their very own!

Much love to you all!

• isrred South Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:23 a.m.

There are times for philosophical, religious, and political differences and then there are times for sympathy and condolences. I will always remember how sincerely tender and lovingly Thomas S Monson always spoke of his wife.
    There is no doubt to anyone who ever heard him speak of her that this man loved his wife dearly. Condolences to their family.

• Richele GUDMUNSON ferron, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:22 a.m.

This worls lost an amazing woman today and the next gained one. Sister Monson will be missed. All our love and prayers sending your way from my family to yours.

• NY Utica Mission Whitesboro, NY
    May 17, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Our mission sends their sympathy to President Monson and his family. In our Zone Training meeting we knelt and prayed for the comforter to be with and sustain your family. Sister Monson was a special person to all of us who supported and loved everyone, especially her husband and family.

May the Lord bless this wonderful family.

The Missionaries of the New York Utica Mission

• twspears6007 Bakersfield, CA
    May 17, 2013 9:09 a.m.

President Monson So sorry for your loss may the Lord give you comfort at your time of need. God Bless you and your family. Trenton

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Will greatly miss Sister Monson. What a wonderful life of service, worth of emulation. Prayers are with you, President Monson and family, at this time.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 17, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Agreed that it was both him and her that made that Monson Team so special. She will have her reward in heaven. I just hope we get to keep her other half a long time. He inspires me.

God Bless the Monson Family

• Kellie Wood Orem, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:39 a.m.

How terribly sad for her family! What a heartbreak for them all! I'm so sorry to hear this.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    May 17, 2013 8:36 a.m.

Love to the family. I prayers will be with them.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:36 a.m.

How sad. They traveled the world together. She will be missed.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 17, 2013 8:36 a.m.

This is very sad news! My heart goes out to Pres. Monson and his family. May the Lord's peace encompasses and sustains them throughout this difficult time.

• Leo Femedlers El Paso, TX
    May 17, 2013 8:35 a.m.

Behind every great man is a great woman. Though I do not know Sis Monson, I do know that her love, support, and sacrifice provided a individual to whom we know today as the President of the Church. Thank you Sis Monson for your dedication and devotion. May your rest and reward be eternal and glorious.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    May 17, 2013 8:32 a.m.

May the Monson family find peace and solace in their hour of sorrow.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:11 a.m.

My condolences to Pres. Monson and his family and close friends and associates. My prayers, and those of my family, are with you.