Sports

High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament pairings

Comments

• InterestedObserver Spanish Fork, UT
    May 2, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Does Summit Academy have a field at the school? Address anyone?

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:52 p.m.

It seems like the locale of some of these 2A games are in ludicrous locales. You could possibly find two good fields in Price at CEU and Carbon. Some of the teams could drive to St. George or Cedar as well as only Desert Hills is actually hosting a pod of games.

I really like the pod idea or concept and I wish it was used in 4A and 5A for the first two rounds. It would cut down travel quite a bit.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:40 p.m.

@ eagle

I agree... it makes no sense to have the teams all travel to the SL valley to play. Not sure if the UHSAA makes that decision, but it ought to be reconsidered.

• utahpreprag salt lake city, UT
    May 7, 2013 5:33 p.m.

It actually makes perfect sense. The reason they cant do it like 5a is bc the longest trip for a 5a school might be 30 mins. The shortest for a 2a school is 30 min if you are lucky. The longest is 8 or 9 hours. So if you have it st george, the southeastern schools like grand, san juan, monticello have a 6 to 7 hour bus ride. The northern schools like north and south summit you are looking at 5 to 6 hours. If you have in the central or small area not enough fields and now the southwest schools have to drive far. If you have it up here it makes it so all schools travel 3 to 4 hours max, and if you have multiple schools close you have access to fields. Not to mention fans traveling and having the hotels to house all these teams and fans. So thats why they do it the way they do. Another reason is bc alot of the big places dont want to host it at their place. There are a few things that factor into why and it makes sense and works out best.

• mr. umpire cedar, UT
    May 7, 2013 7:46 p.m.

1A,2A, and 3A usually rotate every year between SLC and St. George in most major sports. the travel usually equals out. 2a's are up north and 3a's are in st.george this year, last year it was the exact opposite.

• utahpreprag salt lake city, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:01 p.m.

State tourny time! Prob my favorite time of yr! A true double elimination tourny! Should be a great state tourny. There are about 6 teams that have a shot. Who does everyone have and why? Good Luck to all the schools to made it! Hope all the boys play well!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 9, 2013 9:47 a.m.

Stoked fro the playoffs!

Not sure why but all year, Region 3 and Region 4, the two hands down best regions in 5A
    both get to play each other first round of the playoffs!

So there basically giving REGION 1 and Region 2 a chance to maybe win a first round game!
    EVERY SINGLE game vs Region 3 and 4 will be competitive!

Riverton hosting Copper Hills... Riverton is the favorite but still CH can beat anyone.
    Bingham #2 in region 4, vs Cottonwood, who was #3 in region 3 (Bingham lost to Cottonwood)granted was in march. But still Im worried!
    American Fork, who would of gone undefeated in Region 1 or region 2, will have its work cut out for them when they face ALTA at Alta!
    Then PG, who just hapeen to be facing Bingham, Riverton, AF, will go into Jordan and contend the whole game, Wont be shocked if any of the away teams win there first round games!
    Tville is going to be the only.... ONLY other team to worry about this year.
    17 YEARS N RUNNING

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 9, 2013 12:48 p.m.

This year the upper bracket looks like Bingham will head to UVU undefeated. Alta or AF should be in the same boat with whoever wins that game 1 at Alta. Snyder will most likely throw for Alta, and Hardman has started every series opener all season although Ottesen is their ace. Should be a very good game. Riverton or Copper Hills should make it to UVU undefeated and so should Jordan. They've been playing much better as the year has progressed, and I think that coach Anderson announcing he won't be returning next year has added some intensity that wasn't there. Davis might cause a problem for upper or lower second round games depending on where they end up after today.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    May 11, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Region 2 should all be demoted to 4A, they are horrible in every sport, every year. Region 1 usually has one decent team per year in their region, sometimes a couple that can compete, and then it's the Salt Lake teams and Utah county teams winning every sport every year.
    Alta v AF is a semi-final type of match-up, but to accommodate the pathetic Region 2 teams they play in the first round. UHSSA needs to make some changes, they are a joke.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 12, 2013 10:56 p.m.

One time Provo had to drive to St. George to play a game (when the St. George schools were 4A) and the next day travel to Cache Valley to play Mountain Crest. 4A schools are still spread out from Maple Mountain to Sky View, not 30 minutes. The pod idea makes sense in a lot of ways. It makes winning your league actually very important. It cuts down on travel and the right venue all four games are done in one day cutting down on days missed in school etc. I really like the pod concept and it should be used by all classifications. If you looked at some of the 2A teams, they could have easily found closer venues to do their pods. Also, the UHSAA showed it could change venues on the dime with the St. George issue (and moving the 3A tournament up north). That means after looking at some of the teams in the 2A field, move the cites to locales where facilities are available. Again, Carbon and Cedar would have been much better in at least two situations.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 12, 2013 11:02 p.m.

I think West could be dangerous. Their #1 is a legit thrower and Schwam is a good coach. 5A is actually pretty wide open this year, not the outstanding teams of last year but 6-8 teams that could win it. I think the Alta-AF winner might have the inside track. Copper Hills could pull that upset over Riverton. Big game in the SE Valley!

4A has Salem Hills and Murray as favorites. Maple Mountain has two great pitchers but might not have the overall team of the other teams. If MM can't win their first two games, they will be in trouble in going far. Always keep an eye on Timpanogos. Kim Nelson is arguably the best coach in the state and his teams peak at the right time. They won five in a row in Region 8 and seem to be hitting their stride.

I could see Provo scoring the possible upset over Woods Cross. The Bulldogs are young and one of their starting pitchers is a freshman but are well coached and playing loose. And can Sky View go into Maple Mountain again and win that game?

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 13, 2013 1:19 a.m.

I would give Mountain View a good shot at beating Logan in 4A. They played well at the end of the season, much better than record indicates.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 13, 2013 5:31 p.m.

eagle

Did you really just saw west could be dangerous???
    You know thats a joke right!
    Even if there #1 is a legit thrower, they have to play a 18-5 davis team who was the #3 seed only because the last game of the region.
    Then if you win that, I know your #2 aint that good, you have to face the #1 team in 5A Riverton 2nd round! Good luck with that, and Riverton played Bingham American Fork, and PG, all teams that would of won that HORRID region 2. (BESIDES TAYLORSVILLE)

I do only see,

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 13, 2013 7:14 p.m.

binghamalum:

Yes, I think West could be dangerous. But I am not involved in their program so "we" doesn't apply to me. I have seen their #1 and I think he's as good as they come in the state. Now saying they are dangerous means they are capable of the upset, certainly if their #1 is on the hill. Take them lightly at your own risk. Does this mean I think they will win it all? Certainly not. But I see them as a team that could go 3-2 or 4-2 in the tournament if things fell right. But that's if things fell right. There is no doubt that Region 3 and Region 4 are the class regions in 5A, that's not in dispute. Regrettably, they have matched up these regions in the first round. But there are some good teams outside of that region. I think T-Ville placed second in state last year and took AF to the brink. I know West beat them this year and I will always have respect for the T-Ville program. I know Bingham, Riverton, AF and PG are strong teams, all actually capable of winning in the first round.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    May 13, 2013 10:55 p.m.

Wait, what happened to 3A being played in St. George? I've been out of town 2 whole days and the world changed? Seriously, what happened?

• mr. umpire cedar, UT
    May 14, 2013 10:40 a.m.

dixie state is hosting a west regional so the 3A tournament got bumped to up north

• joseywales Park City, UT
    May 14, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Mmm... well, I guess that's good for the northern teams, but I still don't understand why they couldn't play on the St. George high schools fields. Dixie HS field is pretty nice! Oh well, Spanish Fork is nice too, and much closer.

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 15, 2013 11:09 a.m.

First rounds are always very interesting with high expectations, and heartbreak all around. Looks like today will be much more of the same... only the road stops here for some! Good luck.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 15, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Heading up to the AF/Syracuse game in a couple of hours. The AF/Alta game yesterday was a good one although the score makes it look closer than it was. AF jumped out on them and cruised in with the win. I think AF wins today as well to set up a rematch with Riverton who I think is the best team in the state. That said it is close, Riverton would not be more than a very narrow favorite over AF in my opninion and if Otteson is on the mound they are even.

May 15, 2013 7:30 p.m.

BinghamAlum-

Looks like you don't watch much baseball. Region 1 has been very good this year, and the playoffs are no exception. Syracuse over A.F., Davis let one go in the 7th to lose to Riverton 3-2 at Riverton. Layton in the winners bracket after beating P.G.

someone is not paying attention.

• canadiancougar624 Raymond, 00
    May 16, 2013 8:57 a.m.

BaseBallobserver

You're also forgetting that it took Layton 10 innings to put down the #4 seed in region 4.

• Going yard EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:18 a.m.

Anyone see the 4A matchup Westlake at Salem Hills? Great pitchers duel but my guess is Salem Hills is thanking there lucky stars..... Jake Mayer is legit. Allowed just 2 hits to a great hitting team and no hits after the first....

May 16, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Canadiancougar-

And your forgetting that that many have gone out of their way to convince people that because of the vast superiority of Region 4, that their 4th place finisher could have won region 1. If fact it was said that AF would go undeafeated in Region 1. My point, simply put was, there is more parity between regions that some would like to admit.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:12 a.m.

baseball observer..
    comes out talkin when all of a sudden region 1 wins a couple games!

We keep saying region 4 is the power in baseball for a reason.
    Lone Peak, Bingham, AF all have won the last 3 5A titles

Congrats are due for Layoton and Syracuse on there 2 wins in the tourney.

But neither wil win against Riverton or Bingham!

You now have to face there aces who both will be better then what you've faced all year.
    Bingham will notttttttt overlook Syracuse this year, and come out ready to play.
    They just playd the worst TVILLE team ive seen in maybe 20 years. It wasn't close at all...
    Tavonatti is 7-0 he will be ready to go, 88-90 is a wholelot better then anything you've seen this year.

oh and one more stat for ya....
    since 5A started, REGION 1,,,,,,,,,, 0 state baseball titles, 0 runner ups
    That's why still no one is worried.

May 16, 2013 11:46 a.m.

BinghamAlum-

Keep drinking the kool-aid. Riverton is lucky to still be in the winners bracket. You can put your "stats" in your pocket. I'm not talking about last year, or 3 years ago. I'm talking about this year. As one who has seen Bingham, Riverton, A.F., P.G., Davis, Layton, Syracuse, Cottonwood, Alta, all play this year, in person, I can tell you that unlike some, I don't simply open the paper, read a couple of stats, and form an opinion based on something someone else said. There is NOT the gap between Region 4, and the rest of the state this year, that you would like to think exists. And..don't even get me started on open enrollment..

Watch a couple of other teams play, then formulate an EDUCATED opinion.

May 16, 2013 11:50 a.m.

BTW, Binghamalum... This was your quote "Tville is going to be the only.... ONLY other team to worry about this year".

Seriously, did you even see Taylorsville play this year? You can only have credibility if you actually watch the games.

May 16, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Parry-

You are absolutely correct. History has shown that the teams you mentioned have been great baseball schools. As a graduate (and former player) of Alta High, I have seen the teams in the South end of the valley play at a high lever for years. However, that being said, There are those that think that past history automatically dictates who should semarily be dismissed from consideration, and accounts for no variable that a team (or region) can have a reasonable chance of showing well, from time to time.

The fact is, as you mentioned, that teams from the North rarely win the state title, does not mean that can never happen, or ever will happen, as has been suggested by others on this site.

I would also take Jourdan, Cobabe, and Johnson over anyone elses top 3 pitchers in the state, including Riverton.

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 16, 2013 1:41 p.m.

You have to just absolutely love this game. You can hit the ball on the screws all day long and still lose with a bloop single, passed ball, a balk or even a bases loaded walk! I too have watched many baseball teams this season (all of region 4, four teams in regions 3, and two in each of region 1 & 2). That being said, regions 3 and 4 seem to be better this season as a whole from top to bottom than the other two, but I agree that region 1's top three teams would fair pretty well in 3 or 4. I certainly believe that in 5A there has been less dominate pitching this year than last. I get a chuckle when I hear the 90 mph mentioned in the papers or by the fans. That is really not the case this year. Yes, a couple have hit the mark sometime during the season, but not consistently by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the better pitching performances have been by pitchers that know how to locate and have multiple pitches.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 2:00 p.m.

Oh baseballobserver.

I keep sayin this for a reason, I have watched games all year long! I ever helped scout both syracuse and Layton for Bingham, so your right I have no clue what Im talking about.

Why should I not go in the past????

Pleaseeeee remind me what team even reached the final day from Region 1 in the last 15 years.... oh thats right none!

DID YOU REALLY JUST say your layton boys would be good enough against rivertons 3 and binghams 3???

I told you I gave props to Davis, Syracuse, Layton for showing up so far in the tourney.But from the Pitching Ive seen from both the CUSE and Layton is nothing better then the top pitchers from Riverton and Bingham!

It doesnt matter how you win! Riverton clearly won both games, yes in extras!
    But my picks are still either bingham or riverton!

Tavonatti is going to dixie next year! hes 7-1
    Brennon Lund headed to BYU, Is 5-1 with 11 doubles, 5 triples.
    Jacob druce is signed at Mesa State next year,

Ill be there tuesday at UVU ill gladly sit with any one of you!
    Bingham gunning for 21st statechampionship

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 2:11 p.m.

GSO DIRT.... why do you get a chuckle??
    Binghams one and two both throsw 86-90!
    Lund was 87 vs tville all day yesterday, topped at 90!
    Tavonatti was throwing 87 and at the knees vs Cottonwood.

But Im stoked for next week! Im still not affraid of Region 1, and never ever will be!

Syracause kept AF off balance all day, two games, two shutouts thats impressive!
    There head coach is a stud, and he gets his boys to play with the baseball academy, and know the right way of playing. He has turned them into a solid bunch. Just to bad northern utah baseball is a JOKE!
    Mtn crest was good for many years, but thats it!

Both games get played in UT county it might be different, but still.... its the playoffs! show up AF and PG.

Still excited that state is back to UVU, not this SLCC crap anymore!

baseballobserver
    Laytons won 9 of 10! BUT AGAINST WHO?
    Syracuse has won 9 in a row!
    Weber(6-15) and northridge(0-20) this year...
    GOOD LUCK ! MINERS!

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 16, 2013 2:35 p.m.

I do think the Syracuse has three fine pitchers. That is generally not the case up north because they have stuck with 2 game region games which really doesn't force the development in that Friday starter spot. By doing that it does hurt them come tournament time if they end up in the 1 loss bracket. I wouldn't go so far and say though that I would take them over Bingham's Lund, Tavonatti, Stout or even Estey; Layton's Harrop, Greenhalgh or Trujillo; Riverton's Draper, White, Barton and Dixon for that matter. Ottesen, Hardman and Pitcher have also had pretty good seasons too in region 4. Jordan only really has two with Gomez and Shaver.

May 16, 2013 2:54 p.m.

Binghamalum,

I love your passion, as misguided as it is. This is why it is so hard to take you serious. You said, "Tville is going to be the only.... ONLY other team to worry about this year" Then you said "They just playd the worst TVILLE team ive seen in maybe 20 years" Then this gem "American Fork, who would of gone undefeated in Region 1" Even though they have lost to Syracuse twice this season.

Then there was this. "Region 1... Never has been, and never will be a factor. Region1, 0 baseball state titles in 5A!
    17 YEARS N RUNNING

My point (which you still fail to grasp) is that Region 1, this year, will be a factor. Perhaps this is due to lack of reading comprehension on the part of the reader. I said "Think about this, when in the last ten years, has Layton had as much pitching depth as they have this year? Harrop, Trujillo, Kincade.. How can anyone who watches baseball, and who has watched Layton THIS year, not feel like they have a chance to win everytime they step on the field? Did I mention any other team in this sentence?

May 16, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Binghamalum-

I did say that I would take Cobabe, Jourdan, and Johnson, over any other top 3 rotation. in the state. There are other great ones to be sure, although I saw White throw yesterday, and I didn't think he was any better than the Hall kid that Davis threw. As GSODirt pointed out, there are a number of good rotations out there. However he knew that I was referring to Syracuse's rotation, not Laytons when I said this, which gives him more credibilty than you, who thought is was Laytons rotation, even though you "scouted" them for Bingham. Are you sure you went to the right field?

May 16, 2013 3:04 p.m.

BTW, do you really want to play this game?

"Layton won in 10 innings against PG, WHO both riverton and bingham both swept, and you won at HOME!"

Based on that we can say that Layton split with Syracuse, while Syracuse swept A.F...Does this make Layton better than A.F.? If you're going to come to the big boy table, take off the bib.

May 16, 2013 3:13 p.m.

GSODirt.

FWIW, I think Coach Sato is one of, if not the best baseball coach in the state. My point around Syracuse top 3 was, in part an echo of a comment you made earlier, that there are fewer "pitchers" this year as opposed to throwers. The names you mentioned are all great pitchers and staffs. Although in my opinion, J.White will have to develope a better offspeed pitch to do well at the next level. (Utah I believe) Maybe I saw an off game, but he threw hard (85-86) but had trouble locating most of the night. That is something that Syracuse does really well. Johnson(Syracuse) is primarily a fastball guy, but owns the corners.

May 16, 2013 3:20 p.m.

GSODirt

"Riverton did win in 8 against CH, and in the bottom of the 7th against Davis, but I think at this point I'd personally take "lucky" any day in the tournament that keeps me in the winners bracket."

Touche!! The Davis/Riverton game was a great one. Riverton made one more play than Davis did. With everyone able to reset their rotations for next week, it should be a lot of fun to watch.

May 16, 2013 3:26 p.m.

Laytons won 9 of 10! BUT AGAINST WHO?
    Syracuse has won 9 in a row!
    Weber(6-15) and northridge(0-20) this year...

As opposed to Lehi?? 4-20...

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Ok baseballobserver!

here Ill make it simple for you!

This year, NO REGION 1 WONT BE A FACTOR! Did two teams won 2 first round games! YES!
    Did region 1 also get to play against Region 2 teams first round YES!
    In the last 10 years has Layton gone farther then this year? NO!
    Why do you think because 2 games, they still have a very good chance? Ive seen Harrop and thats nothing special from facing OTTESON,Riverton has the best starting rotation this year.

No I dont have any reason to be affraid of Region 1 teams!

Bingham is still coached by Joe Sato, the best coach in 5A!
    Riverton is maybe the best team, but Applegate will figure out how to not win another state title with a goooooood riverton baseball team!

They just won 4 games in a row by 4 total runs! ha They are survivin!

But no I dont look at Layton, as a state championship team!
    OR syracuse, both teams dont hit very well.
    Bingham has to hit well, if they hit well, its there tourney to lose! Ask all the coaches!

Bingham and Riverton will be prepared on tuesday !

May 16, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Binghamalum,

You were wrong in your first sentence. Region 1 is already a factor, having knocked A.F. and P.G. into the losers bracket. Of the 4 teams in the winners bracket, 2 are from Region 1. How is that not being a factor? Being a factor doesn't mean you have to win it all. It means making a difference in the outcome of the playoffs. And with AF having to now go through the losers bracket, that makes a difference.

Nobody said you had to be afraid of anyone. Why is it so hard to understand the concept of a team having a "chance" to win?

You're so busy wearing your Bingham glasses that you simply can't appreciate the talent that exists outside your own backyard.

Joey Sato is a great coach, Riverton is a great team. So is the Oklahoma City Thunder. There is no runaway team this year. Why become so offended if someone doesn't want to rubber stamp the Bingham Miners as state champs. If it were up to you, Boise State would have never played in a BCS game, because they didn't come out of the right conference.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 5:35 p.m.

babseballobserver...

Im just reallllly trying to GET YOU, just you to understand that no one north of Bountiful is EVER going to have to worry about REGION 1 BASEBALL! even if you win a few games, this is baseball the greatest game in the world, where yes anyone can win!

Its not being a factor, because AF AND PG, both got worked by Bingham and Riverton!

Bingham and riverton were the #1 AND 2 in 5A! Both are still right there, and Bingham baseball, is Bingham baseball, this team gets told alot, dont let it get to your head, last years team with LAIL and Williams and they got outted early, that will not happen this tuesday!

I hope the CUSE and LANCERS can get fans to UVU to watch both teams lose on tuesday! and Ill be sitting right behind home platE! what color should I wear, so we can talk, because sounds like you know what your talk about !

Region 1 has won games in the tournament before.. thats not what I m saying!

A factor is being alive on Friday! Which I know, region 1 wont be!

Thats all Im saying!

Everyteamhasachance! NiceArgument!

Whatmoreyou got?

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Already a factor!

ha, you win 2 games in the tournament, and you think it gives people fear, ha again Bingham is coached so well, that They wont allow for a lose to Syracuse tuesday! I know the CUSE wont score more then 2 off tavonatti.

But the Miners need to hit, because thats how the CUSE win games, small ball, strikes, and team D. Which is how Bingham is, but has more hitting then anyone else this year!

with that being said.... These players now days in HS baseball get screwed.

These bbcor bats are the biggest joke, there worse in my opinion then a wood bat.
    I dont think any one has more then maybe 5 bombs this year. If Im wrong I would love to hear baout whos hittin them.

These bats stink! Thats why pitching can win titles now days because the bats, dont help at all. Might as well go wood batt.

But enough from me for the day! I cant argue with REGION 1 GUYS, because its just comes down to 0 STATE BASEBALL TITLES!

no football titles since 2004 davis
    no basketball titles since 2005 fremont!

Thats a longggggggggggggggggggg time Region 1
    wow!

May 16, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Binghamalum,

Ma'am, I would love to continue to debate this with you, but clearly the extend of your argument is to repeat the same thing over and over again, while occasionally leaving the caps lock on for some type of effect.

To your next question:

5A homerun leaders this year;

Bronson Larsen - Davis 9
    Colton Shaver - Jordan 9
    Jared White - Riverton 7
    Jackson Peacock - Davis 6
    Zac Fuller - Davis 5

It's been great chatting with you. Come back on when you know something.

In the meatime, watch out for Taylorsville! ha ha!!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    May 16, 2013 6:33 p.m.

I saw Bingham play the cuse this spring and they beat the cuse 2-1. The Cuse also beat Riverton at the cuse this year as well 1-0. Binghamalum I think your still embarrassed that the Cuse beat your 8 D-1 football team this last fall.

• TallNSkinny43 Germantown, MD
    May 16, 2013 10:26 p.m.

re goaggies
    And Syracuse beat Bingham without it's starting quarterback. Jordan took advantage. Bingham didn't.

• Mike4524 Draper/USA, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:34 p.m.

To InterestedObserver

Summit Academy High School address is 14942 S 560 W, Bluffdale, UT 84065

They don't have a field yet. That is projected for next year. Till then they play games at West Ridge.

Go Bears!!!!!!!

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 20, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Binghamalum,

The reason I chuckle is that there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of to be a high school mid-80 pitcher, but because they hit the mark once or just rounded up they become a 90 guy. Tavanotti has a mid-80 fastball, but doesn't get to the 90's (at least not yet)and is effective if he keeps the ball down. When it's up...that's a different story. D.G. will most certainly improve his strength at SLCC next season...not Dixie. Lund and White can get to 90 but are like a box of chocolates in their pitching careers right now. BYU / U of U will get it straighten out I'm sure. Ottensen is the darling since last tournament, and has pitched well enough again this year. He's a legit 90 guy too... who knows maybe after his mission he ends up with Gates and Lund at BYU.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:12 p.m.

I think Snyder of Salem Hills hit 11 bombs in the regular season...

But the bats have killed the offense that's for sure.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Mayer of Westlake might be the best pitcher in the state though Riley Gates of Snow Canyon is awfully good as well

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2013 9:34 p.m.

Baseballobserver

5 2 for bingham
    3 0 for riverton

Won't be surprised if Cottonwood and AF tomorrow beat the Cuse and LAyton!

Nuff said, like I said, never scared of Region 1

But that being said... much respect for the progress the Lancers have made, and the Cuse continuing there improvement these were no easy games for the region 4 big boys, but you face the #1 from these two schools there both better then any region 1 pitcher. I liked the way the region 1 boys played and nothin but respect for there efforts.. both could win it....
    So ill eat my words because they were both good teams!

Common miners! Beat the silverwolves Thursday!

• Hagatha Ogden, UT
    May 22, 2013 8:34 a.m.

Common Miners?? I think you meant to write "Come on Miners!" Common Miners doesn't make any sense in the context which you wrote it.

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 22, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Pretty fun baseball yesterday. I saw the first game of the day where AF downed CH. CH was scrappy but just didn't have the guns to handle the Cavemen down the stretch. Alta once again booted their way out of the tournament. They've kicked around pretty consistently this year, so no surprise it happened yesterday. Cottonwood has it rolling right now. They have a team that under-achieved this season, so watch out because the bats are alive! Jaxon Jourdan is the real deal. He was throwing hard for the first 4 innings but tired as the game progressed. The game was closer than it appears, but Chase Tavanotti never let up on them. Riverton just did what they have done all year...they pitched well, and played solid defense. If they string a few hits together tomorrow could be lots of fun to watch. Can't get to the park today, so best of luck boys.

May 23, 2013 7:06 p.m.

Eagle-

You are right about Snyder. However the question was regarding homerun leaders in 5A, of which Snyder would not be included. However he does lead the state. I think I would still take Bronson Larsen as the best hitter in the state. 9 HRS, and 13 Doubles, vs. 12 Home runs and 5 doubles. You can't go wrong with either guy, and there others that could be mentioned as well.