Utah

Mormon bishop with Samurai sword runs off attacker

Comments

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    May 3, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Brahmabull; this is a little off subject, but I hope it gets posted; this is a problem with texting and communication today. if you can't see the face and hear the tone, it may be hard to understand the comment. so much of communication isn't in the words. That said, a very interesting story and one that showed there are 'more than one way to skin a cat!'

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 28, 2013 10:48 a.m.

to Brahmabull 4/24 8:49a

They are serious & trying to joke. Its that very same brand of humor being attempted (& not succeeding) in Sacrament Meetings all along the Wasatch Front every Sunday.

• Cauthon75 Deering, NH
    April 26, 2013 8:04 p.m.

Having a gun does not mean you have to shoot people, any more than having a kitchen knife means you have to stab them, although both have been used for murder many times. Thousands of people are murdered with knives; many of those died only because they were not armed for defense. It's no surprise that people have gun control on the mind, it's been in the news so much. People say we will succeed with gun control because now we are more motivated. But, reality does not care how motivated we are; things don't work because we want them to work, but because we find out what works, and we do that. One of those liberal professors told me that being good liberals, and gun control being the acid test of liberalism, they set out to go through the statistics and establish the foundation for gun control but found that there wasn't any. That does not - as some may think - trash the core mythology of gun control, that they will save one life; but in order to maybe save one life someday, they disarm millions of us, making it easier to rob and murder us.

• cstott Lehi, UT
    April 26, 2013 6:03 p.m.

One word... Ammon.

• bfcurtis EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    April 25, 2013 9:15 a.m.

The point is the bishop did something, not that he's a bishop or he's Mormon. The scenarios everyone keeps coming up with really don't matter. He did the right thing for this scenario. We all need to do the same. We need to be willing to intervene when someone's in trouble. I'm tired of stories were people did nothing and watched someone get beat up or killed. Each one of us needs to react in faith and not fear. We can save the life of someone else too. If you're inspired to use a gun great. I'm simply glad the bishop was inspired to take a sword and put a stop to this madness. By the way this is Utah and there are many many Mormons here. So if you really want to be surprised do a search in the Book of Mormon for sword. All of the prophets in that book Lived by swords. Even King Benjamin who was a prophet and a king fought with his own sword to defend his people. Now go out and have your own miracle just be sure you're inspired when you do.

• The Soundman American Fork, UT
    April 25, 2013 8:18 a.m.

According to my police friends, swords and knives are far more dangerous, deadly and destructive than guns. A close LAPD friend who works in south-central L.A. told me he had had both guns and knives drawn on him. He was far more afraid of the knives as he had seen what knives can do to a victim. On one occasion, he arrested a man wielding a sword only to find out that about five minutes before the man had cut of another man's hand and about one third of the top of his head with one blow. The victim had raised his hand to fend off the coming blade but it did not deter the sword as is just continued on its course. Needless to say the victim died. However, I still prefer my Glock.

• billster36 Nies, MI
    April 24, 2013 10:00 p.m.

I am seeing a lot of gun comments on here, so just want to add my own. Not having trained for many years in martial arts, I would feel a lot more comfortable having a pistol or shotgun. However, if there was a neighbor in trouble, I would go to help. Gun or no gun, I would still go. I hope other readers will ask themselves if they would go to help also.

• Darth Saber OZARK, AR
    April 24, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Someone referred to the valiant defender as the "Samurai Bishop;" that name has a nice ring to it; I hope that more people are inspired to stand with their neighbors against such acts and their perpetrators.

Even if the attacker had a gun, the bishop could have deflected the first bullet by calculating the bullet's trajectory and angling his blade; this has been done before. Given the distance between the combatants, the first shot would probably have been the last one fired, as the bishop would have been able to deflect the gun and disable the attacker without undue damage, given his level of martial skill.

The main points of the article though are enough to encourage others to act, rather than be acted upon. I applaud the "Samurai Bishop" and his neighbors for their courage and resourcefulness.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 24, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Gosh-DUH: Steel didn't exist in the Americas then either.

• karlmalone Syracuse, UT
    April 24, 2013 7:03 p.m.

My first thought is that Eggersten was lucky to get away with his arms intact. My second thought is that although this article focuses on the Bishop with a sword, many neighbors came out to help... armed or otherwise. Kudos to the whole neighborhood for protecting each other.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    April 24, 2013 6:50 p.m.

@ eastcoastcoug,
    Yet, where do the shootings happen? Your from Connecticut right? Where there are strict gun laws right? And where there should be a lower probability of those "wackos" getting hands on guns right? You have no evidence to support your claims, in fact, all evidence points to the contrary. States such as Texas or Utah have far more guns available for such things, yet not as many problems. Guns don't kill people my friend.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    April 24, 2013 6:37 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug - yeah, what if, what if. If the attacker had a gun, whether he fired first or not, the only possible protection and defense would be from someone else with a gun. I guess it's better to just let him shoot one person after another.

"Is Hendrix REALLY going to shoot back before he is shot?" What if, what if. You're assuming the attacker would be an excellent marksman and totally disable anyone with a gun, and that Hendrix would not be smart enough to have it ready. All we would really know in that scenario is that Hendrix would be completely defenseless without a gun, even with his sword. Ergo, in your opinion, it's better to be completely defenseless against someone with a gun.

I don't know if it's complete naivete, or simple inability to think through the possibilities that's at the heart of the anti-gun delusion. If someone has a gun, he doesn't have to shoot it, but it clearly gives him greater control and far more options to protect innocent people against a potentially dangerous criminal.

• MrTuscadero Houston, TX
    April 24, 2013 6:10 p.m.

This is what is needed to put a halt to crime. When the criminals are so terrified of their victims that they turn themselves in, that is a step in the right direction.

George Washington would be proud.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    April 24, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Ernest T. Bass - just did a word search for "bishop" in the Book of Mormon. The word is not found in that book of scripture.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 24, 2013 4:16 p.m.

So what if Hendrix had a gun...suppose the robber starts firing first. Is Hendrix REALLY going to shoot back before he is shot? Maybe not. Love you yahoo's out there who think every problems is solved with a gun!!

The more guns you introduce, the higher the probability some wacko will get his hands on one and misuse (as has already happened).

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    April 24, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Mid West Mom,
    The other guy didn't have a gun. Did you read the story?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    April 24, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Thornbirds....

OK without a gun. Read the posts for the facts. What if the intrider had pulled a gun?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    April 24, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Cool. Wield that sword of justice Bishop. We need more like you. Red the streets of that scum.
    You were the first line of defense for that poor woman. Where were the police?

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    April 24, 2013 1:17 p.m.

But I thought that the only thing that stopped a bad guy with a gun was a good guy with a gun. Does that mean that the NRA says things that are not true?

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 24, 2013 12:36 p.m.

The shepherd defending his flock from wolves! gun, sword, bat, people forgets the high power a righteous bishop has when protecting his flock from harm either spiritual or physical. That defense was so powerful that the attacker brought himself to the police. How cool is that?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Too bad the woman didn't have a gun. All of this could have ended at the carport.

But, the democrats voice biden claims you just need to urinate.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    April 24, 2013 12:02 p.m.

It's interesting that the ad that popped up at the top of this page was one advertising "Genuine Japanese Sword Dealer Ships Worldwide."

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Just thinking "out loud" for a minute. If the attacker had a gun, I'm guessing he already would have used it, or threatened to use it, in which case others (including the bishop) would be staying far away and waiting for police to respond. If the person coming to the victim's defense had a gun, he may have been tempted to use it--as someone suggested--to scare the attacker away or, worse, to shoot at the attacker. Neither seems like a very good choice. I am neither strongly for nor strongly against guns--it just seems there is more that can go wrong when the average person has the ability to kill from a distance than is possible when the ability to kill is available only in close contact.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 24, 2013 11:56 a.m.

To "Oatmeal" I knew a bishop on my mission who was a blackbelt, and taught classes in martial arts.

It is probably more common than you think.

To "Strider303" that is precisely what Vice President Biden said to do. He siad that if you are in trouble you should go to your back porch and fire 1 or 2 rounds from a shotgun.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    April 24, 2013 11:34 a.m.

@ ThornBirds - St.George, Utah - "A sword, baseball bats, rolling pins......
    Hey NRA, we knew we were ok without a gun. Thanks, Mr. Hendrix, for proving our point, and sharing it with everyone!"

Yeah.

Right up until the attacker pulls out a gun. Then what?

Tell you what....

YOU take the rolling pin, I'LL take the gun.

Deal?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    April 24, 2013 11:30 a.m.

@John Charity Spring: I think you might be too strident by half in expressing your opinion about awful filthy Hollywood. This story had nothing to do with movies, and yet here you are, on a tangent. Why do I get the feeling you hop from story to unrelated story simply to comment/shriek about naughty movies?

• Well.ok Lehi, UT
    April 24, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Love this story! Too bad no one had a camera to record it.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    April 24, 2013 10:24 a.m.

@Eliyahu - I don't see any comments lamenting the fact the Bishop didn't have a gun "so he could shoot the guy." Typical irrational remark by an anti-gun groupie. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that you think people own guns hoping for the opportunity to shoot people. If you're happy he grabbed his Samurai sword, can I assume you're lamenting the fact that the Bishop didn't hack him to pieces?

The Bishop only used his sword as an intimidating prop, but he would have lost in a battle of sword vs. gun. If the Bishop brought a gun, and the attacker didn't, I think it's safe to assume he wouldn't have shot him, knowing that he didn't swing his sword at the attacker.

The reason this story is newsworthy is not because it teaches we have options other than guns, and I think it's a stretch to suggest that's the message. It's newsworthy because it's very unusual and interesting.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Funny comments, but I take exception to Silent Lurker's suggestion of firing a shot from a shotgun to scare the man. Obviously, Mr. Lurker should not be allowed near firearms. They are not toys, to be discharged to "scare people". They should be used to defend yourself or another from imminent danger to life or limb.

Blasting out some one's window or peppering a car to make a loud noise is foolish and probably would result in adults taking away the weapon. He could hold the attacker at bay, if he had the shotgun, but I doubt shooting him would be justified when he ran.

It is emotional thinking to "blow the dirt-bag away", but reason would suggest the Samurai Bishop did the right thing in thwarting the attack and not slicing the guy into french fries. "Anger is a dish best eaten cold", my dad taught me and I have learned it to be true.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:50 a.m.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the number of comments lamenting the fact that the Bishop didn't have a gun so he could shoot the guy. The fact is, he got a good outcome without a gun, without shooting anyone, and no one was hurt. He also doesn't have to spend the rest of his life dealing with the memories and impact of shooting someone. Just ask any combat veteran or any cop who's had to shoot someone. It changes you and your life forever. Kudos for him doing the right thing.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:40 a.m.

@donn
    I'm a devoted member of the LDS Church and my study of Buddhism this past year has been extremely rewarding and helpful in overcoming some struggles of mine.

I have found that Buddhism acknowledges a high power (as do I) and emphasizes that most of our answers to our problems lie within our own minds and bodies (as do I). Buddhism's practices of meditation and acceptance have only made me a more enlightened Mormon.

Note: I just pass over the references to reincarnation. Hehehe

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:25 a.m.

He could have used the line from Crocodile Dundee.

• donn layton, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:23 a.m.

RE: Oatmeal Great story... defies the stereotype of what an LDS Bishop. How many Bishops train in the martial arts?
    Good for the Mormon Bishop. But how many Christian clergy train in the martial arts?
    The roots of martial arts that are passed down inextricably are linked with Buddhism and is Anti-Christian it may lead to the worship of false gods and different path of enlightenment.

• Big R Danville, CA
    April 24, 2013 9:19 a.m.

Saw this story on Good Morning America. Good story, but what does him being Mormon or a Bishop have to do with it? I'm tired of the media identifying every Mormon. They don't do that with Catholics or Baptists. I get that in this case being a Bishop might go against the trend since he brought a sword, but the story is still a story without the religious mention.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Awaiting Samarai Sword Control any minute now. Alert the libs...

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 24, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Cats - I do, I couldn't tell if they were joking, it seemed to me they were serious.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    April 24, 2013 8:45 a.m.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 24, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Brahmabull: Come on. Have a sense of humor.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 24, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Sword of truth? Come on guys that is terribly cheesy. The guy did a great thing, and should be commended. I don't see where religion comes into it.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 24, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Thornbird you need to read Silent Lurker, Mojules,cjb and The Rock. They have presented words of wisdom, you my man have reguritated the anti second amendment spin we have been reading for weeks.
    Nice try.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 24, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Great story. Reminds me of the steel swords & Bishops in the Book of Mormon.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    April 24, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Alma lives!

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    April 24, 2013 7:25 a.m.

The BIshop was fine with the sword, but a handgun is a great equalizer

• Arizona Rocks Phoenix, AZ
    April 24, 2013 6:17 a.m.

Captain Hendrix and the Sword of Liberty !! This is a great act of courage by you and your neighbors. The lady was very fortunate in this case. I'm glad the creep is in custody.

• germanygator Apo, AE
    April 24, 2013 4:27 a.m.

Let the "sword control" debates begin...

• kathybeebee Ephrata, WA
    April 24, 2013 1:35 a.m.

"In the fight for right, let us wield a sword--
    The mighty sword of truth!!"

Go, Bishop Hendrix!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 23, 2013 11:04 p.m.

@ThornBirds

Not everybody is a black belt and knows how to use a gun. I will keep mine, thank you very much.

Wonderful story. I smiled the whole time I was reading.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 23, 2013 10:49 p.m.

Of all the news stories I have read in the past year or so this one is by far the strangest.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 23, 2013 10:16 p.m.

Re thornbirds

Yes there are alternative to guns. If you are a strong male who has trained in one of the martial arts for years, you can feel quite confident defending yourself against most any attacker who is armed with nothing or something other than a gun.. If you are for example a woman who has a life outside the martial arts, you'd be better off using a gun.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 23, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Knife vs unarmed man, knife wins. Knife vs someone with a gun, gun wins. Lucky he was the first case.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 23, 2013 9:50 p.m.

I can't help but think of the story about bringing a knife to a gun fight. He should have had a shotgun that he could fire in the air to scare off the attacker and if needed protect himself. If the attacker were armed with a gun we might be reading of the bishop's funeral arrangements. Never bring a knife to a possible gun fight.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    April 23, 2013 9:36 p.m.

This good man must be commended for taking a stand against domestic violence. Unfortunately, more and more incidents like this will continue to occur.

Unlike this good man who spends his time working for the betterment of the community, far too many are spending their time pursuing entertainment which glorifies domestic violence. Indeed, many of the movies and television programs produced in the last year portray domestic violence as a normal and even prevalent way of life.

Even more outrageous is the fact that many of these shows objectify women and convey the message that violence against women is acceptable, and is even a humorous activity. The Hollywood producers responsible for this trash should be ashamed of themselves.

The time has come for the general public to say that enough is enough, and raise up like this good man and stand for what is right.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    April 23, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Made me smile to see the "sword of truth" go up against an evil doing person.
    Nice job with the DNA and license plate memorization!
    Kudos also to the 14 year old son for awakening his dad!

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    April 23, 2013 9:11 p.m.

Great story! Thanks for sharing

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    April 23, 2013 9:07 p.m.

A sword, baseball bats, rolling pins......
    Hey NRA, we knew we were ok without a gun.
    Thanks, Mr. Hendrix, for proving our point, and sharing it with everyone!